Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,273 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? (5224 Views)

How To Bleed Bmw E46 Brake Abs Unit With Inpa Software / How Do I Buy New Gear Unit(13-pins) For Replacement In Toyota Camry 09 Model?. / Replacing 1999 Toyota Camry AC Unit With 2003/04 Toyota Camry AC Unit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by abatically(m): 11:28am On Sep 17, 2014
Got bored with my head unit and was searching for head units online, came across this. For me I have never seen anything as good as this for a car head unit. Its just like having a full flexed windows 8 tablet in ur car.

What do u guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cExu_Ieg6c
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
It's good BUT the almighty Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD Navigation receiver with Wi-Fi® sits at the head of the HU table.

It's only N230,000 wink

I have one (didn't pay that price of course, was on clearance on a site) but I haven't installed it yet as I'm going to go with installing iPad Mini in my dash.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
Some more teaser shots.

Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by abatically(m): 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
Ok cityNG, the kenwood Excelon DNN991HD is a kill.. in fact its an overkill. I think its running android. I can see its more functional than the E3iO 2Din CarPC With Windows 8 but I think the windows 8 carputer is more beautiful and more appalling to the eyes. What I don't like about the kenwood is the glossy screen. Yes it is capacitive and very responsive but u can almost see reflections on the screen. Now I need to make up my mind which one to get, I need to read and watch more reviews on both to make my choice.

As for iPad mini on the dash, I think that is too much stress and would really need experts because it would involve lots of modification. First u need to get an amplifier as the iPad doesn't have one. Then it needs to be connected to the car ignition so it turns on and off with the keys. And connecting the speakers. Not sure if backup camera can be hooked, also bluetooth adaptor to connect with ur phone. Its just too complex for me so I'll pass.
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:54am On Sep 18, 2014
Kenwood excelon shocked shocked shocked its so wow!

1 Like

Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
@CityNg,
The features of ur iPad rocks
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 18, 2014
elpiroski: @CityNg,
The features of ur iPad rocks

Oh those features are from the Kenwood.
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 18, 2014
CityNG:

Oh those features are from the Kenwood.
My bad
Noted boss

1 Like

Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 18, 2014
CityNG: It's good BUT the almighty Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD Navigation receiver with Wi-Fi® sits at the head of the HU table.

It's only N230,000 wink

I have one (didn't pay that price of course, was on clearance on a site) but I haven't installed it yet as I'm going to go with installing iPad Mini in my dash.

The Kenwood looks great. Looks like its running android. No doubt it is more functional than the E3io windows 8.. but one thing I don't like about the Kenwood is the screen. yes it is very responsive but its also too reflective and u can always see own reflection though the screen.

I still prefer the multi-touch display on the E3io, the presentation is great and colourful. Widgets on the kenwood is an advantage though, cool way to check ur feeds without opening the actual app.

Using an iPad on the other hand is way more complicated and it requires some technical know how and lots of modifications u will need to install an amplifier, then bluetooth adapter. Modification on connecting the speakers, what about back up camera?

Check out the video of E3io running windows 8.1. Simply amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj9BUbI79FU
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
greenhulk:

The Kenwood looks great. Looks like its running android. No doubt it is more functional than the E3io windows 8.. but one thing I don't like about the Kenwood is the screen. yes it is very responsive but its also too reflective and u can always see own reflection though the screen.

I still prefer the multi-touch display on the E3io, the presentation is great and colourful. Widgets on the kenwood is an advantage though, cool way to check ur feeds without opening the actual app.

Using an iPad on the other hand is way more complicated and it requires some technical know how and lots of modifications u will need to install an amplifier, then bluetooth adapter. Modification on connecting the speakers, what about back up camera?

Check out the video of E3io running windows 8.1. Simply amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj9BUbI79FU

Theres plug in solutions for all that now. It's now truly plug and play complete with the dash kits for certain cars.

It's true that in the beginning you were all alone with figuring it out but as with most things some outfit stepped up and took the lead in designing things.

I'm still on the fence if I should install the Kenwood or the MiniPad.

One thing for sure, the stock stereo in the Jettas sucks.
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 18, 2014
CityNG:

Theres plug in solutions for all that now. It's now truly plug and play complete with the dash kits for certain cars.

It's true that in the beginning you were all alone with figuring it out but as with most things some outfit stepped up and took the lead in designing things.

I'm still on the fence if I should install the Kenwood or the MiniPad.

If I'm to choose one between the iPad mini and Kenwood (and assuming money is not the problem), I'd go with the kenwood as it is just plug and play. Yes only a few OEM stereos are worth it, even though most of them now have HD radio and Pandora, the functionality is just minimal. Audi and Mercedes Benz now have great stereos, but they wouldn't just make them touchscreen.
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 18, 2014
greenhulk:

If I'm to choose one between the iPad mini and Kenwood (and assuming money is not the problem), I'd go with the kenwood as it is just plug and play. Yes only a few OEM stereos are worth it, even though most of them now have HD radio and Pandora, the functionality is just minimal. Audi and Mercedes Benz now have great stereos, but they wouldn't just make them touchscreen.

I have the Kenwood already but not installed.

But my friend it's far from being just plug and play though grin

Well I guess if you just want to use it as a music source then that part is plug and play but to get the other stuff to work requires many more modules.

But like they say, no pain no gain.
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by ivoryhouse(m): 5:08pm On Sep 18, 2014
abatically: Got bored with my head unit and was searching for head units online, came across this. For me I have never seen anything as good as this for a car head unit. Its just like having a full flexed windows 8 tablet in ur car.

What do u guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cExu_Ieg6c
How much does this unit cost? What will it take to install it in an suv like a 1989 landrover defender?
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by abatically(m): 9:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
ivoryhouse:
How much does this unit cost? What will it take to install it in an suv like a 1989 landrover defender?

Check their website for prices.

http://e3io.com/custom-computers-car-pc

Price range from $1,000 - $1,250 depending on the Intel processor and presence of obd ii interface. Installation should be plug and play. Whether it will work with ur defender is another thing as it can only work with 2 din car stereo system.
Re: Is This The Best Head Unit Ever? by DECOtech(m): 9:40am On Sep 19, 2014
Thought I was alone on this opinion.
CityNG:

(1) (Reply)

Your Car Is 'Not An Investment!' / I Need A Car To Take Do Taxi / A Lady Gave A Guy A Lift In Lagos, See What She Did To Him { Photo }

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.