Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,882 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. (3652 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / BOTCHED DIPLOMACY AS Saudi-Arabia Deports 510 More Nigerian Women Pilgrims!! / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 17, 2014
PLease watch the video and leave your comments

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/canada-deports-family-back-to-nigeria-1.2005002?fb_action_ids=10204415893494853&fb_action_types=og.recommends

Published Friday, September 12, 2014 7:27PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, September 15, 2014 10:20AM EDT
In spite of a loud outcry, Winifred Agimelen and her three children have been sent back to Nigeria after living in Montreal for six years.
The Canadian government deportation of Winifred Agimelen and her three children to Nigeria Sunday night hit a temporary snag, as it turned out that the mother did not have a necessary Nigerian visa for her third child, who is Canadian.
In spite of the visa issue, the family of four boarded a plane out of Montreal. Agimelen's current husband is a landed immigrant who lives here, but he does not have official custody rights for the Canadian child.

Protesters are decrying the forced deportation, as the order to leave stems from a complicated maze of immigration procedures that will divide the family and possibly subject them to danger in West Africa.
The three children were fathered by her ex-husband. The third was conceived in Nigeria but born in Canada.
Agimelen fled Nigeria after her first husband disappeared, possibly killed by people his father owed money to. She was kidnapped with her children and her daughter was threatened with genital mutilation as part of that affair. She arrived in Montreal six years ago.
The traumatic experience is believed to have the caused psychological damage to her eldest child and led her to flee to Canada.
The woman's lawyer worries that the child will not develop well in Africa.

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/canada-deports-family-back-to-nigeria-1.2005002#ixzz3DZbN5Mah

He’s not going to receive services in Nigeria. There’s no kind of therapy in Nigeria,” said Agimelen’s lawyer Angela Potvin. “We don’t understand how Nigerian society works. It’s a much more dangerous place than we know.”
A distraught Agimelen told CTV Montreal that the expulsion and separation from her husband will be very challenging.
“Mostly I’m worried about the safety of my children because there is so much violence in Nigeria. There’s news about kidnapping children in Nigeria. There’s Boko Haram and Ebola in Nigera, it gives me so much fear for me and my children,” she said.
She says she has no place to stay in Nigeria and fears she will be targeted. She can’t return to her hometown because she was subject to violence there, she explained.
Agimelen initially filed to stay in Canada as a refugee but has since married a man with landed resident status. He was deemed to be four months short of being permitted to sponsor Agimelen as his wife.
Last Friday Potvin applied for a five month extension to allow Agimelen’s immigration application to be administered without her being forced to go to Nigeria, but it was denied.
Potvin says that the change of a single word in the rules has prevented the Canadian Border Services Agency from allowing the family to stay together, based on the difficulties it will pose to the eldest child.
“One child has PTSD from this kidnapping in Nigeria and there’s jurisprudence that says this constitutes a ‘special circumstance’ but there was a subtle change made in the act. It used to say that someone could be removed as soon as 'practicable' but now it says 'as soon as possible,’” she said.

1 Share

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by deor03(m): 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2014
Why the lies

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 17, 2014
There’s news about kidnapping children
in Nigeria. There’s Boko Haram and Ebola in
Nigera, it gives me so much fear for me and my
children,” she said.
She says she has no place to stay in Nigeria and
fears she will be targeted.
hmmm...smh

1 Like

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:10pm On Sep 17, 2014
Jona ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh grin
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Degis(m): 1:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
Why don't these funny people try south Sudan for once or even the ISIS enclave. Stupid lies in order to remain in a place you are not even wanted in the first place. FG should first quarantine them for Ebola and Stupidity before letting them in to the country

8 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Freest(m): 1:30pm On Sep 17, 2014
Keneking: Jona ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh grin
Will you just shut up for once so we can listen Have u even taken ur drugs

10 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by corisande: 1:31pm On Sep 17, 2014
grin
lies upon lies
boko haram,ebola and kidnapping don finish us for Nigeria. ?
Our population even don increase

lying cos u wan chop kpali

2 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Liamm(m): 1:34pm On Sep 17, 2014
i felt sorry for her at first but after reading this
“Mostly I’m worried about the safety of my children because there is so much violence in Nigeria. There’s news about kidnapping children in Nigeria. There’s Boko Haram and Ebola in Nigera, it gives me so much fear for me and my children,”
I'm happy she's been deported back home.

6 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Lordlexyy: 2:01pm On Sep 17, 2014
These asylum seekers are they very people given foreigners a wrong impression of Nigeria and Africa. Heap of lies for what exatly? To remain in Canada i guess? What a shame! You sell yourself worth over something you can have on a platter. I won't be surprise if she's either Edo or Igbo(no tribal bashing intended pls), over and over again, they same people continue to bring our name to disrepute all in the name of greener pasture. This is no good to our image and the earlier gov't do something serious to cushion it effect, the better.

1 Like

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by reaky(m): 2:44pm On Sep 17, 2014
Heap of lies just To remain in Canada
Oya soon u go come back. mtshwww

1 Like

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by kokoA(m): 2:57pm On Sep 17, 2014
She dey mad o..
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by juman(m): 2:59pm On Sep 17, 2014
This is sad. As if we don't have our own country.

But our country is a destroyed country.

To hell with one nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 17, 2014
He’s not going to receive services in Nigeria. There’s no kind of therapy in Nigeria,” said Agimelen’s lawyer Angela Potvin. “We don’t understand how Nigerian society works. It’s a much more dangerous place than we know.”
A distraught Agimelen told CTV Montreal that the expulsion and separation from her husband will be very challenging.
“Mostly I’m worried about the safety of my children because there is so much violence in Nigeria. There’s news about kidnapping children in Nigeria. There’s Boko Haram and Ebola in Nigeria , it gives me so much fear for me and my children,” she said.
She says she has no place to stay in Nigeria and fears she will be targeted. She can’t return to her hometown because she was subject to violence there, she explained.
Chai Na Nigeria this yeye woman de disgrace in the name of Residency?

She should be quarantined in Sambisa Forest or Bama

4 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by bamosagie(m): 3:33pm On Sep 17, 2014
Lordlexyy: These asylum seekers are they very people given foreigners a wrong impression of Nigeria and Africa. Heap of lies for what exatly? To remain in Canada i guess? What a shame! You sell yourself worth over something you can have on a platter. I won't be surprise if she's either Edo or Igbo(no tribal bashing intended pls), over and over again, they same people continue to bring our name to disrepute all in the name of greener pasture. This is no good to our image and the earlier gov't do something serious to cushion it effect, the better.

And I guess the boys with Yoruba names that beheaded the British soldier in London were from Edo or Igbo(no tribal bashing intended pls)

15 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Litmus: 3:54pm On Sep 17, 2014
Governments in the West know the true conditions in Nigeria so it is important if you're going to make up stories in order to meet some of the requirements that qualify you to stay in one of these foreign nations that you make up plausible ones. Right now in Nigeria the condition does exists, which qualifies anyone as refugee, exploited or threatened enough for asylum abroad.
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by emmanuel4758(m): 3:54pm On Sep 17, 2014
this woman should be qualantine cus Ebola fit dey Canada #soking my garri and groundnut but emm this woman lie fit make APC win 2035 presidential election.
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Jibwillz: 4:36pm On Sep 17, 2014
She should be redirected 2 kirikiri. On arrival 4 painting a bad picture abt Nigeria,,, and anyone who's going to hold any protest in her favour must b shot in d knee

2 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
While watching the Video , i was so embarrassed about what she is saying about our beloved country called Nigeria, infact i have to stop the video and does she have to got that length potraying the image of Nigeria in a Bad manner saying thier is alots of bad people in Nigeria street, that can harm her and her children just to have her stay in Canada.

God will help our beloved Nation Nigeria so that we can be proud of Her.
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 17, 2014
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/canada-deports-family-back-to-nigeria-1.2005002#commentsField-556998

In the other video where she was interviewed on the street, she said Nigeria has Ebola and boko haram would kidnap her children. She also said mad people would attack her children on the street.

Even though she would likely be back in a year or two. By then the husband in Canada would have the right to sponsor her and the children, she till went on portrayed naija in a very bad way like she would be killed once she steps foot in Lagos, as if most part of Nigeria is inhabited by wild animals.

1 Like

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by otokx(m): 6:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
That woman is wicked.
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by tpia1: 6:36pm On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 17, 2014
Lordlexyy: These asylum seekers are they very people given foreigners a wrong impression of Nigeria and Africa. Heap of lies for what exatly? To remain in Canada i guess? What a shame! You sell yourself worth over something you can have on a platter. I won't be surprise if she's either Edo or Igbo(no tribal bashing intended pls), over and over again, they same people continue to bring our name to disrepute all in the name of greener pasture. This is no good to our image and the earlier gov't do something serious to cushion it effect, the better.
Bro,if u av nothing meaningful to post,kindly read and exit thread...do u av to involve tribes...why didn't u mention Yoruba cos am sure u 1....pls be smart wen u make comments....ur comments were mature enough but wen analysing,u shuld be truthful instead of tryn to polish 1 tribe as negative...
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Enahi(f): 8:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
[quote author=Lordlexyy]These asylum seekers are they very people given foreigners a wrong impression of Nigeria and Africa. Heap of lies for what exatly? To remain in Canada i guess? What a shame! You sell yourself worth over something you can have on a platter. I won't be surprise if she's either Edo or Igbo(no tribal bashing intended pls), over and over again, they same people continue to bring our name to disrepute all in the name of greener pasture. This is no good to our image and the earlier gov't do something serious to cushion it effect, the better.[/qu ote] Your brain is dead.
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by 50calibre(m): 9:45pm On Sep 17, 2014
This is a proper naija chic, she knows how to lie. Nigerians are born with the gift of lying, you can identify them anywhere through their proficient ability to spin complex lies.

She must be the most persecuted person in Nigeria, her ex husband was killed by his fathers creditors, she & her daughter are being hunted by people seeking to kidnap or mutilate their genitals, her eldest child has developed psychological damage as result of their traumatic experience.. Lool c'mon has anyone seen a naija child develop psychological damage?? Naija children are hard as nails, both mentally & physically. Traumatic experiences are an everyday affair for Nigerians.

This woman obviously understands the system, she knows Canada being one of the leading nations on human rights, she stands a better chance if she claims her human rights are in jeopardy & highlights the dangers her & her kids face in Nigeria hence the mentioning of various ills.

She's just unlucky to be in Canada, this her story will play perfectly in the UK, ooohh!! This is the kind of stories they like, the type Nigerians have been using to fool the British authorities. It works everytime, nothing appeals to them more than a mother trying to protect her kids from persecution, in fact at the mention of genital mutilation, she'd be given her residency permit instantly.

I sympathise with the woman though, she can't be blamed for seeking a better life for her kids, a life Nigeria can't provide.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by 50calibre(m): 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2014
Liamm: i felt sorry for her at first but after reading this I'm happy she's been deported back home.

You're a foolish individual, so you're happy she's back to suffer with you in Nigeria?

Do you know that moving from a country like Canada to a country like Nigeria, is like moving from heaven to hell

1 Like

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Liamm(m): 10:53pm On Sep 17, 2014
50calibre:

You're a foolish individual, so you're happy she's back to suffer with you in Nigeria?

Do you know that moving from a country like Canada to a country like Nigeria, is like moving from heaven to hell
I beg your pardon you fuckwit barstard. Must I be quoted? Was I the only one to criticize the lady for giving a bad impression of this country? Why would you single me out? angry.

I so much abhor E-fights. Please don't lure me into it. angry

*walks out*
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by realborn(m): 11:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
Pretty woman after 3 kids.

Stop running your country down. You have only been away for 6 years!

3 Likes

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by winar(m): 11:38pm On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by 50calibre(m): 11:49pm On Sep 17, 2014
Liamm: I beg your pardon you fuckwit barstard. Must I be quoted? Was I the only one to criticize the lady for giving a bad impression of this country? Why would you single me out? angry.

I so much abhor E-fights. Please don't lure me into it. angry

*walks out*

Shut up!! You're too retar*ded to have an e-fight with me, I will e-school you for free.

The woman didn't giveva bad impression of the country, she gave an accurate impression of the country so except you've got a problem with the truth being said, you should shut your mouth.

I didn't single you out, I randomly selected you to be my scape goat.

1 Like

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 18, 2014
Degis: Why don't these funny people try south Sudan for once or even the ISIS enclave. Stupid lies in order to remain in a place you are not even wanted in the first place. FG should first quarantine them for Ebola and Stupidity before letting them in to the country

where is your proof that she is lying?
Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by fr3do(m): 1:22am On Sep 18, 2014

She might as well be Yoruba or hausa! No ethnic bashing

1 Like

Re: Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. by fr3do(m): 1:28am On Sep 18, 2014
barnabasj: While watching the Video , i was so embarrassed about what she is saying about our beloved country called Nigeria, infact i have to stop the video and does she have to got that length potraying the image of Nigeria in a Bad manner saying thier is alots of bad people in Nigeria street, that can harm her and her children just to have her stay in Canada.

God will help our beloved Nation Nigeria so that we can be proud of Her.

We are our country o
Nigeria is the people not the land mass.
Let's all be patriotic, you will feel the difference.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbos Assembled To Support Akinwunmi Ambode (pictures) / Nigerians Will Appreciate Me When I Leave Office – Jonathan / PHOTOS: President Buhari Meets His Favorite Hausa Musician At Kaduna Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.