Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Last Sermon Of Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Last Sermon Of Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w) (1325 Views)

The Last Sermon Of Rasullulah (may Allah Have Mercy Upon Him) / Prophet Mohammed Was A Womaniser? / Who Is The Helper That Jesus(puh)said He Will Send If Not Prophet Mohammed(puh) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Last Sermon Of Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w) by bakandow11: 1:40pm On Sep 17, 2014
The Last Sermon of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I have always found the Last Sermon of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) amazing and wanted to share it with you. This is related in many books of hadith, including Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi, Musnad of Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal:

THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD’S (PBUH) LAST SERMON

This sermon was delivered on the Ninth Day of Dhul Hijjah 10 A.H. in the ‘Uranah valley of Mount Arafat’ (in Mecca).

After praising, and thanking Allah he said:

“O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefore listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and TAKE THESE WORDS TO THOSE WHO COULD NOT BE PRESENT HERE TODAY.

O People, just as you regard this month, this day, this city as Sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your LORD, and that HE will indeed reckon your deeds. ALLAH has forbidden you to take usury (interest), therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived. Your capital, however, is yours to keep. You will neither inflict nor suffer any inequity. Allah has Judged that there shall be no interest and that all the interest due to Abbas ibn ‘Abd’al Muttalib (Prophet’s uncle) shall henceforth be waived…

Beware of Satan, for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.

O People, it is true that you have certain rights with regard to your women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your wives only under Allah’s trust and with His permission. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not make friends with any one of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste.

O People, listen to me in earnest, worship ALLAH, say your five daily prayers (Salah), fast during the month of Ramadan, and give your wealth in Zakat. Perform Hajj if you can afford to.
All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves.

Remember, one day you will appear before ALLAH and answer your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone.

O People, NO PROPHET OR APOSTLE WILL COME AFTER ME AND NO NEW FAITH WILL BE BORN. Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray.

All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O ALLAH, that I have conveyed your message to your people”.

Stand Up 4 Islam!

[If you like this article, please share it with your friends]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Last Sermon Of Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w) by AlBaqir(m): 7:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
bakandow11:
I have always found the Last Sermon of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) amazing and wanted to share it with you. This is related in many books of hadith, including Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi, Musnad of Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal:

Indeed the last sermon of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household) is full of meaning and warning and glad-tiding.

However what you quoted in entirety especially this bolded part below can NEVER be found in any of the references you claimed above (Bukhari, Tirmidhi, Musnad Ibn Hanbali).
bakandow11:

I leave behind me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray.

Imam Malik in his 'al-Muwatta' and Ibn Hisham in his Sirat recorded this sermon with the bolded part above^ (i.e and my example, the Sunnah); unfortunately, the report HAS NO SANAD (chain of transmitter) in both book therefore, according to the Sunni iLm hadith (science of hadith), such report is thrown out of the window into thrash-bin.

The only source of Sunni Book that relate this sermon with the bolded part above is "al-Mustadrak ala Sahihayn" of Imam al-Hakim Nisabouri and "Sunan" Ibn Bayhaqi. Alas! Both quoted the same report with the bolded part WITH SAME ISNAD (chain) - meaning the later copied from the former.
The chain is Daeef in accordance with the ilm rijal of the Sunni. And in sha Allah if you want us to dissect this, we will do carefully with references.

Here's the Sahih (authentic) quotation of the hadith (above esp the bolded part) in the last sermon:

1. Jabir ibn Abdullah in al-Mu'ujam al-Kabeer:
Muhammad ibn Abdullah al-Hadrami from Nassir ibn Abdurahman al-Washa' from Zayd ibn al-Hassan al-Anmatti from Ja'afar (al-Sadiq) from Muhammad (al-Baqir) from his father (Ali ibn al-Hussein) from Jabir ibn Abdullah who said: "I witnessed the messenger of Allah during his Hajj on the day of A'arafat while he was on his camel al-Qasswa'. He gave a sermon and I heard him say: 'O people, I am leaving amongst you that which if you adhere to you shall never stray after me, the Book of Allah and my progeny, my Ahlul Bayt'"
ﺣﺪﺛﻨﺎ ﻣﺤﻤﺪ ﺑﻦ ﻋﺒﺪ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﺍﻟﺤﻀﺮﻣﻲ ﺛﻨﺎ ﻧﺼﺮ ﺑﻦ ﻋﺒﺪ ﺍﻟﺮﺣﻤﻦ
ﺍﻟﻮﺷﺎﺀ ﺛﻨﺎ ﺯﻳﺪ ﺑﻦ ﺍﻟﺤﺴﻦ ﺍﻷﻧﻤﺎﻃﻲ ﻋﻦ ﺟﻌﻔﺮ ﺑﻦ ﻣﺤﻤﺪ ﻋﻦ
ﺃﺑﻴﻪ ﻋﻦ ﺟﺎﺑﺮ ﻗﺎﻝ: ﺭﺃﻳﺖ ﺭﺳﻮﻝ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ ﻓﻲ
ﺣﺠﺘﻪ ﻳﻮﻡ ﻋﺮﻓﺔ ﻭﻫﻮ ﻋﻠﻰ ﻧﺎﻗﺘﻪ ﺍﻟﻘﺼﻮﺍﺀ، ﻓﺨﻄﺐ ﻓﺴﻤﻌﺘﻪ ﻭﻫﻮ
ﻳﻘﻮﻝ" :ﺃﻳﻬﺎ ﺍﻟﻨﺎﺱ ﻗﺪ ﺗﺮﻛﺖ ﻓﻴﻜﻢ ﻣﺎ ﺇﻥ ﺃﺧﺬﺗﻢ ﺑﻪ ﻟﻦ ﺗﻀﻠﻮﺍ،
ﻛﺘﺎﺏ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻭﻋﺘﺮﺗﻲ ﺃﻫﻞ ﺑﻴﺘﻲ ".

Imam al-Albani authenticated this narration in his book Sahih Sunan al-Tirmidhi (vol 3, bab 32, #3786).

2. al-Albani in his Sahih Sunan al-Tirmidhi on the authority of Zayd ibn Arqam:

The messenger of Allah said: "I am leaving for you two precious and weighty Symbols that if you adhere to BOTH of them you shall not go astray after me. They are, the Book of Allah, and my progeny, my Ahlul-Bayt. The Merciful has informed me that These two shall not separate from each other till they come to me by the Pool (of Paradise). Watch out how you treat them after me."

al-Tirmidhi said the hadith is hasan Ghareeb and al-Albani said the hadith is sahih.
ﺣﺪﺛﻨﺎ ﻋﻠﻲ ﺑﻦ ﺍﻟﻤﻨﺬﺭ ﻛﻮﻓﻲ ﺣﺪﺛﻨﺎ ﻣﺤﻤﺪ ﺑﻦ ﻓﻀﻴﻞ ﻗﺎﻝ ﺣﺪﺛﻨﺎ
ﺍﻷﻋﻤﺶ ﻋﻦ ﻋﻄﻴﺔ ﻋﻦ ﺃﺑﻲ ﺳﻌﻴﺪ ﻭﺍﻷﻋﻤﺶ ﻋﻦ ﺣﺒﻴﺐ ﺑﻦ ﺃﺑﻲ
ﺛﺎﺑﺖ ﻋﻦ ﺯﻳﺪ ﺑﻦ ﺃﺭﻗﻢ ﺭﺿﻲ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻨﻬﻤﺎ ﻗﺎﻻ ﻗﺎﻝ ﺭﺳﻮﻝ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ
ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ : ﺇﻧﻲ ﺗﺎﺭﻙ ﻓﻴﻜﻢ ﻣﺎ ﺇﻥ ﺗﻤﺴﻜﺘﻢ ﺑﻪ ﻟﻦ
ﺗﻀﻠﻮﺍ ﺑﻌﺪﻱ ﺃﺣﺪﻫﻤﺎ ﺃﻋﻈﻢ ﻣﻦ ﺍﻵﺧﺮ ﻛﺘﺎﺏ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﺣﺒﻞ ﻣﻤﺪﻭﺩ ﻣﻦ
ﺍﻟﺴﻤﺎﺀ ﺇﻟﻰ ﺍﻷﺭﺽ ﻭﻋﺘﺮﺗﻲ ﺃﻫﻞ ﺑﻴﺘﻲ ﻭﻟﻦ ﻳﺘﻔﺮﻗﺎ ﺣﺘﻰ ﻳﺮﺩﺍ ﻋﻠﻲ
ﺍﻟﺤﻮﺽ ﻓﺎﻧﻈﺮﻭﺍ ﻛﻴﻒ ﺗﺨﻠﻔﻮﻧﻲ ﻓﻴﻬﻤﺎ
ﻗﺎﻝ ﻫﺬﺍ ﺣﺪﻳﺚ ﺣﺴﻦ ﻏﺮﻳﺐ ﻗﺎﻝ ﺍﻟﺘﺮﻣﺬﻱ : ﺣﺴﻦ ﻏﺮﻳﺐ ﻗﺎﻝ
ﺍﻟﺸﻴﺦ ﺍﻷﻟﺒﺎﻧﻲ : ﺻﺤﻴﺢ

Reference:
• Sahih Sunan al-Tirmidhi (by al-Albani), vol 3,
page 543, #3788 (ﺃﺑﻮﺍﺏ ﺍﻟﻤﻨﺎﻗﺐ ﻋﻦ ﺭﺳﻮﻝ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﺻﻠﻰ
ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ. ﻣﻨﺎﻗﺐ ﺃﻫﻞ ﺑﻴﺖ ﺍﻟﻨﺒﻲ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ
ﻭﺳﻠﻢ )

3. The narration in the Sunan of al-Tirmidhi is #3876.

al-Sabuni reported in Mukhtassar Tafseer ibn Katheer the following narration from Tirmidhi. al-Tirmidhi recorded on volume 5, #3874. al-Albani also recorded it in Sahih Sunan al-Tirmidhi #3786:

Ja'afar ibn Muhammad from his father from Jabir ibn
Abdullah who narrated that the prophet said: "I saw
the messenger of Allah during his Hajj on the day of
Arafat, giving a sermon while on his camel Qasswa'. I heard him say: 'O people, I am leaving amongst you that which if you adhere to you will never stray: the Book of Allah and my progeny, my Ahlul Bayt'" Abu Dharr, Abu Sae'ed, Zayd ibn Arqam and Hudhayfa ibn Aseed narrated similarly.

al-Tirmidhi said this narration is ghareeb hasan and
Zayd ibn hassan was quoted by Sae'ed ibn Sulayman and other scholar.

al-Albani said: the hadith is Sahih
ﺣﺪﺛﻨﺎ ﻧﺼﺮ ﺑﻦ ﻋﺒﺪ ﺍﻟﺮﺣﻤﻦ ﺍﻟﻜﻮﻓﻲ ﺣﺪﺛﻨﺎ ﺯﻳﺪ ﺑﻦ ﺍﻟﺤﺴﻦ ﻫﻮ
ﺍﻷﻧﻤﺎﻃﻲ ﻋﻦ ﺟﻌﻔﺮ ﺑﻦ ﻣﺤﻤﺪ ﻋﻦ ﺃﺑﻴﻪ ﻋﻦ ﺟﺎﺑﺮ ﺑﻦ ﻋﺒﺪ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ
ﻗﺎﻝ : ﺭﺃﻳﺖ ﺭﺳﻮﻝ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ ﻓﻲ ﺣﺠﺘﻪ ﻳﻮﻡ
ﻋﺮﻓﺔ ﻭﻫﻮ ﻋﻠﻰ ﻧﺎﻗﺘﻪ ﺍﻟﻘﺼﻮﺍﺀ ﻳﺨﻄﺐ ﻓﺴﻤﻌﺘﻪ ﻳﻘﻮﻝ ﻳﺎ ﺃﻳﻬﺎ
ﺍﻟﻨﺎﺱ ﺇﻧﻲ ﻗﺪ ﺗﺮﻛﺖ ﻓﻴﻜﻢ ﻣﺎ ﺇﻥ ﺃﺧﺬﺗﻢ ﺑﻪ ﻟﻦ ﺗﻀﻠﻮﺍ ﻛﺘﺎﺏ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ
ﻭﻋﺘﺮﺗﻲ ﺃﻫﻞ ﺑﻴﺘﻲ ﻗﺎﻝ ﻭﻓﻲ ﺍﻟﺒﺎﺏ ﻋﻦ ﺃﺑﻲ ﺫﺭ ﻭﺃﺑﻲ ﺳﻌﻴﺪ ﻭﺯﻳﺪ
ﺑﻦ ﺃﺭﻗﻢ ﻭﺣﺬﻳﻔﺔ ﺑﻦ ﺃﺳﻴﺪ
ﻗﺎﻝ ﻭﻫﺬﺍ ﺣﺪﻳﺚ ﺣﺴﻦ ﻏﺮﻳﺐ ﻣﻦ ﻫﺬﺍ ﺍﻟﻮﺟﻪ ﻗﺎﻝ ﻭﺯﻳﺪ ﺑﻦ
ﺍﻟﺤﺴﻦ ﻗﺪ ﺭﻭﻯ ﻋﻨﻪ ﺳﻌﻴﺪ ﺑﻦ ﺳﻠﻴﻤﺎﻥ ﻭﻏﻴﺮ ﻭﺍﺣﺪ ﻣﻦ ﺃﻫﻞ ﺍﻟﻌﻠﻢ
ﻗﺎﻝ ﺍﻟﺘﺮﻣﺬﻱ : ﺣﺴﻦ ﻏﺮﻳﺐ ﻗﺎﻝ ﺍﻟﺸﻴﺦ ﺍﻷﻟﺒﺎﻧﻲ : ﺻﺤﻴﺢ

1 Like

Re: Last Sermon Of Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w) by AlBaqir(m): 11:00pm On Sep 17, 2014
Part of the Last sermon is as follows:
The holy prophet (peace be on him and his household) was reported to have said:

"Do I not have more right over the believers than what they have over themselves?"
People cried and answered: "Yes, O' Messenger of God."

Then he said:
"For whoever I am his mawla, 'Ali is his mawla."

"O' God, love those who love him, and be hostile to those who are hostile to him."

After the speech of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household), Umar was the first to say this words to 'Ali:

"Well done Ibn Abi-Talib! Today you became the Leader (mawla) of all believing men and women."

Ref:
Ibn Hanbal, Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Hanbal b. Hilal b. Asad, Abu `Abd Allah al-Shaybani
al-Marwazi Al-Musnad Unidentified edition, v. 4, p. 368 no. 18476.

^Al-Musnad, Unidentified edition, vol. 5, p.
366 no. 22028

^Al-Musnad Unidentified edition, v. 4, p.
368 no. 18476

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Description Of Paradise / . / Muslims And The Quran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.