Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,246 members, 7,780,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:30 PM

Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles (21931 Views)

35% Levy On Tokunbo Vehicles Begins July 1 / Reps Endorse Tariff Increase On Imported Cars / Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by priscaoge(f): 7:12am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta: I pity nigerians under GEJ rule.
Aunty pls did U read d thread?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by otokx(m): 7:16am On Sep 18, 2014
zicoraads: Chai! I pity pple bringng in Tokunbo cars. The duties at the border is already outrageous as it is.

Kudos to the government tho, this is a very, very good one. This will create massive jobs for the teeming unemployed youths.

story for the gods
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by alaladakosta(f): 7:20am On Sep 18, 2014
priscaoge:
Aunty pls did U read d thread?

Sister, I do . But I may not be as smart as you to understand the content, but my thing is , let them start assembling the cars first , let's See how durable they are, let's See how affordable they are.

Plus , I want to u to know they charge that rate on TOKs too.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by drwebs: 7:21am On Sep 18, 2014
rozey247:

Read the post wel. It says the policy may be implemented on used cars(tokumbo) come january 2015.
Poor man no go dey see good car to drive again. Nah only inocent arbi nah inoson sef dem dey cal'am. We dnt even knw if d inocent is gonna be affordable to the lower class by then.
God we dey ur hand!!!

Omo don't worry, Tokunbo will always be available. By the time we Nigerians start using brand new cars and come to enjoy it, those that have the money will buy and use for one year and resell or dump it. Those who can't afford brand new ones will then get the Naija used ones which I guess will be same with the Imported Tokunbo if not better. And we can now have the opportunity to export them to other countries if we can't consume the Naija used cars. This will make cars cheap with time.

I welcome this new policy. Kudos to the transformation agenda of Mr President.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by poiZon: 7:22am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

Ok, I see. The fire is what he went to purchase with the 9.3million dollars.

dont derail d thread sisi, we hv like 3threads curently on front page that deals with that issue. we knw say u sabi book!
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by poiZon: 7:30am On Sep 18, 2014
zicoraads: Pity yourself, not Nigerians. Some of you have lost all sanity in the process of criticism, not minding how dumb you sometimes sound when trying too hard to be of relevance.

Do you even have any idea how many jobs this will create? Do you? Just check how many jobs the auto industry in South Africa creates. Car manufacturing plants, asSembly plants, spare parts and so on.

It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubtsm

tell am, na part of the illiterate educated critique. nomatter what policy the fed govt. implement to them its wrong. this is the best policy so far, cos it will discourage imports then encourage local manufacture and thereby creating jobs for teeming unemployed youths.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by poiZon: 7:32am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

Bobo, am not trying to derail no topic, I suppose to dey sleep now but anytime I open Nigeria site to read bout 9ja na so so bad things dey to read.so it's really vex me, that na why I dey vent my anger on all threads. Make u no vex abeg. It's 2:26am in Philly,make I sleep

but this one no be bad news na.
abi u no ffit distinguish between bad n good news?
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by zicoraads: 7:33am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

So he needs to implements the 35% levy to create jobs for Nigerians, see how smart u are.
U need to grow, seriously. This is how gov't discourages importation to promote local content. Gov't alone cannot provide jobs, its the private sector that drives economies, govt's role is supervision. And the private sector can't come in if we keep bringing everything overseas in, instead of producing here.

Why do you think the furniture industry is asking for the FG to ban importation of furnitures into the country? It is killing them. Why do you think the massive clothing textiles companies of old are almost non existent? Importation of foreign textiles. Why do you think the few assembly plants were all moving out? Do me a favour, google the auto industry in SA, then we'll talk.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by priscaoge(f): 7:36am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

Sister, I do . But I may not be as smart as you to understand the content, but my thing is , let them start assembling the cars first , let's See how durable they are, let's See how affordable they are.

Plus , I want to u to know they charge that rate on TOKs too.
Think about the Transformation,job opportunities and employment! It's not always wise to criticise good things even when d truth is glaring. It's a very wise decision to take which will help to curb unemployment in the country. And about d Duration of d cars,my dear its certain! Cars will be cheap that even d poor can afford it,Nigeria will export cars to other countries n it will help to build our Economy! Let's always be positive,Nigeria is our country,let's make it a better place.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by pyyxxaro: 7:38am On Sep 18, 2014
zicoraads: Pity yourself, not Nigerians. Some of you have lost all sanity in the process of criticism, not minding how dumb you sometimes sound when trying too hard to be of relevance.

Do you even have any idea how many jobs this will create? Do you? Just check how many jobs the auto industry in South Africa creates. Car manufacturing plants, asSembly plants, spare parts and so on.

It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubtsm

Bros calm down ! U go like quarel pass fight o.......... Come make we chew this Banga rice together
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by priscaoge(f): 7:39am On Sep 18, 2014
zicoraads: U need to grow, seriously. This is how gov't discourages importation to promote local content. Gov't alone cannot provide jobs, its the private sector that drives economies, govt's role is supervision. And the private sector can't come in if we keep bringing everything overseas in, instead of producing here.

Why do you think the furniture industry is asking for the FG to ban importation of furnitures into the country? It is killing them. Why do you think the massive clothing textiles companies of old are almost non existent? Importation of foreign textiles. Why do you think the few assembly plants were all moving out? Do me a favour, google the auto industry in SA, then we'll talk.
Intelligent post!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by zicoraads: 7:41am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

Bros, I can see u smart. But u sound frustrated.do you need a job or something?
Lmao...I am gainfully employed my dear, I need no job. Thanks for asking though! wink
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by alaladakosta(f): 7:42am On Sep 18, 2014
poiZon:

tell am, na part of the illiterate educated critique. nomatter what policy the fed govt. implement to them its wrong. this is the best policy so far, cos it will discourage imports then encourage local manufacture and thereby creating jobs for teeming unemployed youths.

You hired.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by zicoraads: 7:46am On Sep 18, 2014
[quote author=pyyxxaro][/quote]Lol...thanks for the invite. I no dey campaign for any party, but I know a good policy when I see one.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by alaladakosta(f): 7:47am On Sep 18, 2014
zicoraads: Lmao...I am gainfully employed my dear, I need no job. Thanks for asking though! wink

Like I have one to offer you, but seriously everyone is gainfully employed on all faceless forum. But in reality many of them are members in free readers association. Anyway , u welcome.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by alaladakosta(f): 7:54am On Sep 18, 2014
priscaoge:
Think about the Transformation,job opportunities and employment! It's not always wise to criticise good things even when d truth is glaring. It's a very wise decision to take which will help to curb unemployment in the country. And about d Duration of d cars,my dear its certain! Cars will be cheap that even d poor can afford it,Nigeria will export cars to other countries n it will help to build our Economy! Let's always be positive,Nigeria is our country,let's make it a better place.

Am thinking, am trying.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nosyke(m): 7:55am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

Ok, I see. The fire is what he went to purchase with the 9.3million dollars.

Sister, please do us all a Favour and stop typing poo all over this thread .

Try and be objective and look at the brighter side of this. How do you think we will attain self sufficiency and even grow if we continue relying on imported items even ordinary toothpick?

Have you even tried imagining the multiplier effect of a vibrant auto industry? Spare parts dealers, tire manufacturers, electricians, battery sellers. What of the people that will be directly employed in these factories. Restaurants that will serve these industries? Do you think the US, Japan and other major car producing countries did so by replying on imported cars?

Everything must not be seen from the ethno-religious and/or party prism.

P.s : your grammar is terrible, maybe you should spend more time upgrading yourself.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by zicoraads: 7:57am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

Like I have one to offer you, but seriously everyone is gainfully employed on all faceless forum. But in reality many of them are members in free readers association. Anyway , u welcome.
Yea, maybe faceless for some, not all. I have people here who know me beyond here, not so for you I see. Enjoi ur day!
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by alaladakosta(f): 8:00am On Sep 18, 2014
Nosyke:

Sister, please do us all a Favour and stop typing poo all over this thread .

Try and be objective and look at the brighter side of this. How do you think we will attain self sufficiency and even grow if we continue relying on imported items even ordinary toothpick?

Have you even tried imagining the multiplier effect of a vibrant auto industry? Spare parts dealers, tire manufacturers, electricians, battery sellers. What of the people that will be directly employed in these factories. Restaurants that will serve these industries? Do you think the US, Japan and other major car producing countries did so by replying on imported cars?

Everything must not be seen from the ethno-religious and/or party prism.

P.s : your grammar is terrible, maybe you should spend more time upgrading yourself.

So much for grammar.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

So he needs to implements the 35% levy to create jobs for Nigerians, see how smart u are, the licensed coy, let them start assembling, if the quality n price is ok, trust me Nigerians will gladly do away with the imported ones. But for now why hike the price of the accepted one. I wouldn't even mind if their Will be proper accountability with increase tariff.
dis is quite unfair to dos wu want to import cars dat r nt assembled in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by texazzpete(m): 8:18am On Sep 18, 2014
I'm not sure which is more stupid.

This brainless policy or the ordinary Nigerians that defend it.

The tariff increase is NOT required to create jobs. tax breaks and import waivers for local manufacturers are more than enough incentive to attract more investment in this sector.
People will patronise locally assembled cars if the savings from the local assembly is passed on to the consumer. At this stage, the local assembly scene is still in its nascent stages, there are ZERO vehicles available for sale apart from a few lower end and tiny Hyundai or Kia vehicles. Where is the local car for anyone who wants to buy a reliable family sized Sedan?

It's strange...when it comes to fuel subsidy removal the FG is keen to stress that 'Market forces' will drive down prices of fuel. For some reason, they are incredibly reluctant to let these same 'Market forces' apply in the purchase of autos.

All this has done is to drastically drive up the cost for the average Nigerian to purchase a vehicle that they like. Only sycophants and traitors are in support of this tarriff increase at this moment.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by abbeymighty(m): 8:18am On Sep 18, 2014
Thank God it was only on new vehicles, I will first import the four doors, after which i will import the engine and later other parts that will conclude the vehicle assembling

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by DaBullIT(m): 8:19am On Sep 18, 2014
linnyx: As long as it doesn't affect tokunbos then no problems...

Bros you funny gaan O , how many Nigerians dey buy Tear nylon , na tokunbo gaan gaan them make the law for , if you buy ride for cotonou , wan do legit customs , you go pay that 35percent . I confirm am from person wey dey Customs
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by DaBullIT(m): 8:26am On Sep 18, 2014
Shey he make sense make person get one long bread for hand , but as he come hear say one person dey carry fried rice come , the person come throway the bread

Implementing that Law now without any functioning car assembly plants, with no samples of Nigerian made cars already on ground, Customs and Government is killing the Economy and i heard from reliable source that even Tokunbo cars as long as its from outside Nigeria and you want legit customs documents, you'll still pay the 35 percent . even if that's not what the law states, Trust customs guys, they will overdo, Implementing that law now is giving RPG to an amateur terrorist he'll misuse it

They said a bird in hand is better than 5 on the tree, that Law will eventually collapse everything they are trying to achieve
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by nedu2000(m): 8:32am On Sep 18, 2014
What the govt should try to find out is why we prefer imported to the locally made ones and then give us a reason to change our minds,instead of forcing it down our throats
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sheffyUTD(m): 8:34am On Sep 18, 2014
DaBullIT:

Bros you funny gaan O , how many Nigerians dey buy Tear nylon , na tokunbo gaan gaan them make the law for , if you buy ride for cotonou , wan do legit customs , you go pay that 35percent . I confirm am from person wey dey Customs

You're right but there will still be some differences in clearing cost, if they don't block though.

In as much this affects my business somehow, one should still think straight. The policy is good but I am very sorry, Nigerians will not see the benefit. With neighbouring car biz like cotonou on the prowl and our borders are as porous as a sieve, it's a mere mirrage. Smugglers always have their way with those guys at seme border.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by ooshinibos: 8:38am On Sep 18, 2014
eliment: A good one there from GEJ, our economy mUst grow by fire by force
Listen !!!!! you must have ,security , good access to electricity , education before an economy can grow ..currently GEJ has not fulfilled his promises on these yet ?

Please can you explain why please please
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by aniffy4eva(m): 8:44am On Sep 18, 2014
Now this is the most intelligent post so far!!!
I always wonder about Nigeria's undying love for "putting the cart before he horse".

texazzpete: I'm not sure which is more stupid.
This brainless policy or the ordinary Nigerians that defend it.
The tariff increase is NOT required to create jobs. tax breaks and import waivers for local manufacturers are more than enough incentive to attract more investment in this sector.
People will patronise locally assembled cars if the savings from the local assembly is passed on to the consumer. At this stage, the local assembly scene is still in its nascent stages, there are ZERO vehicles available for sale apart from a few lower end and tiny Hyundai or Kia vehicles. Where is the local car for anyone who wants to buy a reliable family sized Sedan?
It's strange...when it comes to fuel subsidy removal the FG is keen to stress that 'Market forces' will drive down prices of fuel. For some reason, they are incredibly reluctant to let these same 'Market forces' apply in the purchase of autos.
All this has done is to drastically drive up the cost for the average Nigerian to purchase a vehicle that they like. Only sycophants and traitors are in support of this tarriff increase at this moment.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by revolt(m): 8:51am On Sep 18, 2014
benosky: i know dis policy will b implimented earlier dan d stipulated time cos of d money involve. Nija.
you don't even know what the policys bout!! You ppl sef. Always tlkn crap. Which money biko? Hve u heard of innoson or the naija assembled nissans
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by kenex4ever(m): 8:54am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

So he needs to implements the 35% levy to create jobs for Nigerians, see how smart u are, the licensed coy, let them start assembling, if the quality n price is ok, trust me Nigerians will gladly do away with the imported ones. But for now why hike the price of the accepted one. I wouldn't even mind if their Will be proper accountability with increase tariff.

What is dis one saying? Criticize constructively pls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? / Top 10 Funny Looking Cars In The World / Innoson Motors Reacts To IGP Filing N2.4bn Shipping Fraud Against Innoson Motors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.