Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles (21941 Views)

35% Levy On Tokunbo Vehicles Begins July 1 / Reps Endorse Tariff Increase On Imported Cars / Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by ThaProphet(m): 9:03am On Sep 18, 2014
Good idea from the government. However, the Nigerian government is always full of good ideas but very poor on practicability.

Yes we would like to see the local manufacturing industry grow but has the government informed the public on how this will happen? You might say it is common sense that the local industry will grow if importation is expensive but Nigeria is not really a nation that functions with common sense. Comparing SA and Nigeria is not wise either....two very different countries.

Before the implementation of this levy, has the government researched and made public the affordability of the so called "made in Nigeria" vehicles? Will the same class of people who buy tokunbo cars be able to buy new "made in Nigeria cars"? Are they subsidising the industry in any way at all? (note: import duty is not the only way to discourage imports).

How "local" are these assembly plants? We want to encourage local manufacturing by bringing in foreign companies to assemble their products locally. Will the parts used (metal, plastic, glass etc) be sourced locally by the likes of Peugeot, Toyota and Kia? We keep banging on about job creation for the "teeming unemployed youths"...where is the guarantee? Do we have any official figures on how much local labour the so called "local auto industry" will employ? Do we have any agreements with the foreign auto giants that forces them to employ a specific minimum amount of Nigerians or an agreement on the limit of foreign staff they can bring in? In theory, we can all assume it will provide jobs for the "teeming unemployed youths" Toyota has been around for a while now...do we know how much local labour they employ?

Is the government looking into truly indigenous Nigerian auto companies? Will the extra duty and levy be directly or indirectly channeled into promoting and subsidising truly indigenous auto production outfits or their research and development?

There are a lot of questions that need to be asked before jumping on the "Made in Nigeria" bandwagon in my opinion. Toyota, Kia and Peugeot are businesses, foreign ones at that. Their PRIMARY mission in Nigeria is not to help Nigeria but to make profit. No doubt these companies influenced the implementation of the new duty and levy. It is upto the government to ensure that Nigerians get maximum benefits from their presence here.

Another case of Nigeria putting the cart before the horse. Before introducing extra duty and levy, the government should already have an effective and affordable local industry as justification.

There is nothing good about a "good idea" badly implemented. Let's hope I am wrong.

I know the levy right now only affects new vehicles not tokunbo ones but there is a view to extend it to tokunbo vehicles, hence the reason I addressed both.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by chuckdee4(m): 9:05am On Sep 18, 2014
I understand the government trying to generate revenue but my issue is 'will this revenue be put to good use or is it just more money for the government to embezzle?'
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by DaBullIT(m): 9:10am On Sep 18, 2014
sheffyUTD:

You're right but there will still be some differences in clearing cost, if they don't block though.

In as much this affects my business somehow, one should still think straight. The policy is good but I am very sorry, Nigerians will not see the benefit. With neighbouring car biz like cotonou on the prowl and our borders are as porous as a sieve, it's a mere mirrage. Smugglers always have their way with those guys at seme border.

I gree for you , If this info i heard from an insider turns out to be true about customs taking 35 percent on used cars too , then lesser people will ship through lagos , instead they'll ship to seme, cotonou and then that'll kill imports and activities in Lagos's shipyard or is it dock ...

Mexicans dig tunnels from Mexico to US just for Drugs, i believe these big men will find a route in one of them thick forests, clear the place with tractors and make the road ready for asphalt , and they'll mount security / spies there just for thier bentlies and Lambo and Phantoms to get through , it'll be a full scale war soon .. but that just my over active over paranoid mind working as usual , please tell me if you think in a million years this scenario can occur
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by femmy2010(m): 9:26am On Sep 18, 2014
priscaoge:
Think about the Transformation,job opportunities and employment! It's not always wise to criticise good things even when d truth is glaring. It's a very wise decision to take which will help to curb unemployment in the country. And about d Duration of d cars,my dear its certain! Cars will be cheap that even d poor can afford it,Nigeria will export cars to other countries n it will help to build our Economy! Let's always be positive,Nigeria is our country,let's make it a better place.

You are certainly living in a different world other than the present .
Which do you think should be curbed first, Importation of petroleum or Importation of Tokunbo cars?
The answer to the above would tell you our government certainly didn't get their priority right.
The reality on ground is Nigerians shouldn't expect to buy a Nigerian assembled car (Something in the size of a Golf 3) for less than N1.7m.
Have you ever asked how much it would cost to replace a burnt Innoson Car engine(Motor)?
Rolling out Nigerian assembled cars wrapped in Nylon isn't the only thing about cars,would our local manufacturers be willing to re-call their fleets if a flaw is noticed in something as little as the brake disc? Would we be able to buy a replacement engine for less than N80k? Would a broken rare light be replaced with N10k?
The automotive policy is a laudable one but the timing is not ripe.
The Government should have set maybe a 10year duration for this,during this time frame power supply should have been made stable so those auto manufacturers wouldn't have to spend the bulk of their profit on Fuelling their big generator and other things needed to start manufacturing would have been put in place by the Government and the investing auto firms alike.
Restricting the 70% payment to NEW vehicles is certainly a fair one but extending it to the much older ones which is what me and millions of other Nigerians can afford would be killing us un-softly.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by 2n2k(m): 9:30am On Sep 18, 2014
Nosyke:

Sister, please do us all a Favour and stop typing poo all over this thread .

Try and be objective and look at the brighter side of this. How do you think we will attain self sufficiency and even grow if we continue relying on imported items even ordinary toothpick?

Have you even tried imagining the multiplier effect of a vibrant auto industry? Spare parts dealers, tire manufacturers, electricians, battery sellers. What of the people that will be directly employed in these factories. Restaurants that will serve these industries? Do you think the US, Japan and other major car producing countries did so by replying on imported cars?

Everything must not be seen from the ethno-religious and/or party prism.

P.s : your grammar is terrible, maybe you should spend more time upgrading yourself.

Tokunbo vehicles will also require the enbolded if not more. So what gives.

Nobody is against the policy of industrialization. What people criticised is the sequence of implementation of the measures to achieve it. As at today, given the capacity of local assembling plants, if all Nigerians are forced to patronize locally assembled vehicles, demand will so much outstrip supply that the rise in price will be unjustifiable that it will fuel smuggling. The plant capacity cannot be materially increased at the snap of a finger.

Furniture importation has been on import prohibited lists for donkey years now. That means you must not import furniture into nigeria but what do we get? The various showrooms boldly display what is supposed to be prohibited. If any government agency gives you a contract to supply furniture and you supply Nigerian made, you will end up furnishing your house with it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sheffyUTD(m): 9:35am On Sep 18, 2014
DaBullIT:

I gree for you , If this info i heard from an insider turns out to be true about customs taking 35 percent on used cars too , then lesser people will ship through lagos , instead they'll ship to seme, cotonou and then that'll kill imports and activities in Lagos's shipyard or is it dock ...

Well it's true, 35% duty now and 35 % levy by Jan. All I see is a reduction in the rate of importation of used vehicles, but they'll still come in.

[/quote]
Mexicans dig tunnels from Mexico to US just for Drugs, i believe these big men will find a route in one of them thick forests, clear the place with tractors and make the road ready for asphalt , and they'll mount security / spies there just for thier bentlies and Lambo and Phantoms to get through , it'll be a full scale war soon .. but that just my over active over paranoid mind working as usual , please tell me if you think in a million years this scenario can occur [/quote]

You burst my butt . . . got me seriously laughing. No, it will not go near that. But I see large scale compromise as it always be.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by banking2: 9:45am On Sep 18, 2014
Please How much to clear Tokunbo Camry 2001 model?
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by poiZon: 9:46am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

You hired.

am not a mechanically engneer.
alll i want is d policy to work so nigerians will benefit, will be happy wen nigerian youths r smiling n happy.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 18, 2014
ooshinibos:
Listen !!!!! you must have ,security , good access to electricity , education before an economy can grow ..currently GEJ has not fulfilled his promises on these yet ?

Please can you explain why please please
ok, I am not saying he has done well in those aspect but even with all those you listed devoid of good policies that protect local industrial capacity no investor will be willing to put his money in such Economy.
Bottom line is we need to start from somewhere.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by hardebounty(m): 10:00am On Sep 18, 2014
eliment: A good one there from GEJ, our economy mUst grow by fire by force

There is nothing good about automobile production in Nigeria, why can't FG focus on our d country area strength e.g #1. let challenge brazil in sugar production (we r one d top 3 of largest sugar importer)
#2 why nt compete wit ivory coast on pineapple export.
#3. We are one of d largest importers/consumer of milk.
#4. The automobile r dey affordable to d common man in Nigeria? Hell NO!.

U can very on net, 4ds claims
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by hardebounty(m): 10:02am On Sep 18, 2014
eliment: ok, I am not saying he has done well in those aspect but even with all those you listed devoid of good policies that protect local industrial capacity no investor will be willing to put his money in such Economy.
Bottom line is we need to start from somewhere.

My broda, ds automobile company don't get there raw materials here, Nigeria iz more like an assembling plant.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 18, 2014
hardebounty:

There is nothing good about automobile production in Nigeria, why can't FG focus on our d country area strength e.g #1. let challenge brazil in sugar production (we r one d top 3 of largest sugar importer)
#2 why nt compete wit ivory coast on pineapple export.
#3. We are one of d largest importers/consumer of milk.
#4. The automobile r dey affordable to d common man in Nigeria? Hell NO!.

U can very on net, 4ds claims
I'm sorry to say this; you don't have the knowledge of how economy works.
You have to protect your local capacity in all area you have comparative advantage. You talked of Brazil as if they don't produce cars or they really only on sugar. There is always a period in production where an economy have to bear some brunt but in the long run it turns out to be benefit.
Take the issue of cement for an instance if the govt had not encouraged investors in that sector Nigeria wouldn't have been a net exporter of cement by now.
For your information, I am not a gej supporter in most area but on the economy, he and his team have been doing a good job
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Haishophem(m): 10:16am On Sep 18, 2014
Heard abt this news on a radio talk this morning but was astonished hearing lots of Nigerians criticising the policy. And it was this same Nigerians that complain of unemployment in the country. Imagine how many people will be employed if the policy is properly implemented.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by hotice01: 10:17am On Sep 18, 2014
GEJ and His Government are just extorting Nigerians in so many ways because of the coming election.with the huge amount of graduates,highly esteemed&self professed educated individuals in various levels&sectors.I must say that my country is full of educated illitrates&fools.No steady power supply to encourage investment,no good roads&other infrastructures,most of these plants(except innoson I guess) are barely functional,citizens are contantly humiliated home and abroad by both
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 18, 2014
hardebounty:

My broda, ds automobile company don't get there raw materials here, Nigeria iz more like an assembling plant.
every journey starts from one step. North Korea were not get there raw materials locally before but today they boast of one of the best brands in the world
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by hotice01: 10:19am On Sep 18, 2014
GEJ and His Government are just extorting Nigerians in so many ways because of the coming election.with the huge amount of graduates,highly esteemed&self professed educated individuals in various levels&sectors.I must say that my country is full of educated illitrates&fools.No steady power supply to encourage investment,no good roads&other infrastructures,most of these plants(except innoson I guess) are barely functional,citizens are contantly humiliated home and abroad by both their government(Nigerian embassies esp) and foreigners.not that the locally produced cars will b affordable for the common man.our government have misplaced priorities.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Haishophem(m): 10:33am On Sep 18, 2014
hotice01: GEJ and His Government are just extorting Nigerians in so many ways because of the coming election.with the huge amount of graduates,highly esteemed&self professed educated individuals in various levels&sectors.I muslt say that my country is full of educated illitrates&fools.No steady power supply to encourage investment,no good roads&other infrastructures,most of these plants(except innoson I guess) are barely functional,citizens are contantly humiliated home and abroad by both their government(Nigerian embassies esp) and foreigners.not that the locally produced cars will b affordable for the common man.our government have misplaced priorities.

This issue you highlighted have been the songs on most people's mouth in Nigeria, it's a known fact that we don't have much infrastructure to support the growth of most manufacturing industries. But it's a known fact that most foreign investors looked beyond this challenges and still set up there businesses and are still making waves. Julius Berger, Shoprite, MTN just to mention but a few are some of the companies we know are making it big despite the infrastructure laspses.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by hardebounty(m): 10:40am On Sep 18, 2014
eliment: I'm sorry to say this; you don't have the knowledge of how economy works.
You have to protect your local capacity in all area you have comparative advantage. You talked of Brazil as if they don't produce cars or they really only on sugar. There is always a period in production where an economy have to bear some brunt but in the long run it turns out to be benefit.
Take the issue of cement for an instance if the govt had not encouraged investors in that sector Nigeria wouldn't have been a net exporter of cement by now.
For your information, I am not a gej supporter in most area but on the economy, he and his team have been doing a good job

So, how iz the FG protecting it local capacity in ds sense.. Pls economy iz nt rocket science.. Not all nations of the world iz producing automobile why can't "we" focus on what can b Nigeria as a whole (raw material and finish product here). And do u think of sumtin like "physical economy" how has it reflect on the pple
Am nt a pessimist but ds iz nt d first tym automobiles are assembled here..

#My broda pls don't b fooled by dose shit dey analyse wit largest economy gibberish..
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by hardebounty(m): 10:44am On Sep 18, 2014
eliment: every journey starts from one step. North Korea were not get there raw materials locally before but today they boast of one of the best brands in the world

I agree wit yu evry journey start wit a step, if Nigeria iz going to start wit a step den automobile production shldnt b d target 4nw.

#most Nigerian can't even afford it, so where is the target market
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by t2luv1: 10:54am On Sep 18, 2014
texazzpete: I'm not sure which is more stupid.

This brainless policy or the ordinary Nigerians that defend it.

The tariff increase is NOT required to create jobs. tax breaks and import waivers for local manufacturers are more than enough incentive to attract more investment in this sector.
People will patronise locally assembled cars if the savings from the local assembly is passed on to the consumer. At this stage, the local assembly scene is still in its nascent stages, there are ZERO vehicles available for sale apart from a few lower end and tiny Hyundai or Kia vehicles. Where is the local car for anyone who wants to buy a reliable family sized Sedan?

It's strange...when it comes to fuel subsidy removal the FG is keen to stress that 'Market forces' will drive down prices of fuel. For some reason, they are incredibly reluctant to let these same 'Market forces' apply in the purchase of autos.

All this has done is to drastically drive up the cost for the average Nigerian to purchase a vehicle that they like. Only sycophants and traitors are in support of this tarriff increase at this moment.

What I find amazing is there are some Nigerians that actually believe there are any semblance of auto assembly going on in that country. I got news for those people, you are being taken for a ride. I repeat NO car/auto assembly plant currently exist in that country. This policy along with other policies like this are being done for one simple fact, to raise revenue for the government. Nothing about creating jobs, that was just a hook to make the policy acceptable to the masses. When does any Nigerian government start caring about people. There are no Hyundai/Kia assembly plant in Nigeria. In fact Hyundai Corporation does not list Nigeria as one the country where they have assembly plant. Only Hyundai can assembly any car carrying the company trade mark logo. For confirmation just logon to Hyundai web sites and search.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 18, 2014
eliment: A good one there from GEJ, our economy mUst grow by fire by force

The Economy has been growing like a fowl on fertilizer yet the impact is not being felt on any dimension.. we are just growing with no development.. please when will automotive plants kick-off and start producing for local and export.. next 5 years, 15 years, 20 years etc.. who will have cars by then with the rate of inflation galloping like a horse on weed

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by t2luv1: 10:59am On Sep 18, 2014
chuckdee4: I understand the government trying to generate revenue but my issue is 'will this revenue be put to good use or is it just more money for the government to embezzle?'

Going by Nigeria history . What does your gut feeling tells you?.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by cuteboy2: 11:10am On Sep 18, 2014
Eldavido1:

In fact, tokunbo cars are the main target of the policy.

This is FALSE!!!! Have you read the New Automative Policy?
Go and read the statement by the PRO of Tin Can Port Command of Nigerian Customs Services embedded in the article in your original post. I extract it for you below in case you don't have the patience to read your entire post.

Eldavido1:
[size=14pt]Confirming this development, Chris Osunkwo, public relation officer of Tin-Can Island port command (Nigerian Customs), told our correspondent that the Federal Government deemed it fit to direct that the 35 percent levy be implemented strictly on only imported new vehicles.
This, he said, was geared towards encouraging the automakers to come and invest in Nigeria, thereby creating an enabling environment for their finished products not to face stiff competition with the imported new cars.
According to Osunkwo, the 35 percent levy does not apply to imported used vehicles usually referred to as ‘tokunbo’ cars, which, according to the Federal Government may commence in January 2015.[/size]

It is sad that people will copy and post news clips from online media, and yet either are too lazy to read what they have posted, or maliciously twist it to fit their ill-conceived intent. This policy and its implementation has been severally discussed in many posts on NL, and people have been sufficiently educated. Don't start this falsehood all over again.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by DaBullIT(m): 11:24am On Sep 18, 2014
sheffyUTD:

Well it's true, 35% duty now and 35 % levy by Jan. All I see is a reduction in the rate of importation of used vehicles, but they'll still come in.

Mexicans dig tunnels from Mexico to US just for Drugs, i believe these big men will find a route in one of them thick forests, clear the place with tractors and make the road ready for asphalt , and they'll mount security / spies there just for thier bentlies and Lambo and Phantoms to get through , it'll be a full scale war soon .. but that just my over active over paranoid mind working as usual , please tell me if you think in a million years this scenario can occur

You burst my butt . . . got me seriously laughing. No, it will not go near that. But I see large scale compromise as it always be.

Thanks Bros. I happy say I no dey craze he he he. Have a wonderful day jare
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Zikkyy(m): 11:28am On Sep 18, 2014
Nosyke:
Try and be objective and look at the brighter side of this. How do you think we will attain self sufficiency and even grow if we continue relying on imported items even ordinary toothpick?

The government should start from here; encouraging local production of toothpick. No need to import CKD (raw materials), we have the wood. Nigeria is not ready for auto manufacturing. The auto policy was designed to bring joy to Stallion group and pain to Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by DaBullIT(m): 11:28am On Sep 18, 2014
cuteboy2:

This is FALSE!!!! Have you read the New Automative Policy?
Go and read the statement by the PRO of Tin Can Port Command of Nigerian Customs Services embedded in the article in your original post. I extract it for you below in case you don't have the patience to read your entire post.

I agree with you, but like I mentioned earlier customs officers will overdo! When its comes to pay our levy or loose your car. People will be forced to pay that 35% on used/imported cars. Someone in customs said so. It is Nigeria and its not in the realm of impossibilitily

It is sad that people will copy and post news clips from online media, and yet either are too lazy to read what they have posted, or maliciously twist it to fit their ill-conceived intent. This policy and its implementation has been severally discussed in many posts on NL, and people have been sufficiently educated. Don't start this falsehood all over again.

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Zikkyy(m): 11:29am On Sep 18, 2014
femmy2010:
You are certainly living in a different world other than the present .
Which do you think should be curbed first, Importation of petroleum or Importation of Tokunbo cars?
The answer to the above would tell you our government certainly didn't get their priority right.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by ladej(m): 11:30am On Sep 18, 2014
Eldavido1:

In fact, tokunbo cars are the main target of the policy.
pls explain
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by arsetalks(m): 11:30am On Sep 18, 2014
Bad news for those of us who are looking to buy a car this year but good news for the whole country. This will create massive employment opportunities for the unemployed as more and more companies here will amount to more and more job but the FG should not stop there, they should ensure these companies when they establish their assemble ground here, they employ Nigerians instead of importing labour from their countries.

Also, it is not enough forcing down made in Nigeria cars down our throats, they should make sure the cars are standard enough.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Zikkyy(m): 11:37am On Sep 18, 2014
femmy2010:

True talk. We lose more foreign exchange to petroleum importation. local refining will create more jobs and encourage development of other industries like chemicals, plastic e.t.c

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience / Children's Hospital Unveils Mini-cars For Patients To Ride To Surgery / What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.