Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,724 members, 7,802,185 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. - Literature (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. (82920 Views)

Ade's Chronicle: A Tale / Lagos And Abuja: A Tale Of Two Cities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Oscilo1(m): 3:27pm On Mar 06, 2018
Nice storyline Nice storyline cheesy
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Evold: 3:43pm On Mar 06, 2018
Wow Thanks 4the updates.Still following
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2018
Oscilo1:
Nice storyline Nice storyline cheesy
Thanks Oscilo.

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 7:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
Evold:
Wow Thanks 4the updates.Still following

Thanks for following.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by RICKYMARIO(m): 9:56am On Mar 07, 2018
kudos vantee I can't wait to see the end of this wonderful story
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by bigbauer(m): 11:06am On Mar 07, 2018
I'm impressed not just by the story but your tenacity. I'm happy you've chosen not to abandon the story. Keep it up
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Cadec007(m): 1:13am On Mar 24, 2018
Pls any day u update mention me cos i am still following
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Crystalprince(m): 11:34am On Mar 24, 2018
You are really good man!
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Ifeoluwatee6745(m): 3:09pm On Mar 24, 2018
Update Update Update
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Jackossky(m): 11:39pm On Mar 24, 2018
My thirst for strange stories makes me yearn for more of yours.
Hello writer,
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by emerald18(f): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
hmmmm
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:00am On Apr 05, 2018
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Clouds gathered overhead, blocking out the sun and casting a sombre shadow on the terrain below. Through the window of a deserted cottage, Melissa watched the rapid darkening of the sky and fancied it as a sign of the skygod's disapproval of the ongoing bloodshed. The savages were locked in a battle with the men of Carzef, who were supported by the Red Knights and so far, more blood has been spilled and more men have fallen than Melissa had ever seen in her life.

The Red Knights had not needed an elaborate plan to halt the killing of Carzefians. A single shot from Xesandra had sent the high priest of the Savages into the raging fire in which the body of the sacrificed Carzefians were still burning. The men of Carzef had been emboldened by this sight and many of them had grabbed the savages nearest to them, seeking retribution for the gross atrocities they had been subjected to. The savages had been left stunned by the sudden downturn in their fortunes as the conflation of Red Knights and Carzefians put them to sword.

Now, the battle was far from over. The savages were down to a few dozens yet they didn't give in. The savage folk had strong anti-surrender traditions. They were trained never to turn away from battle whether in the euphoria of victory or in the sting of defeat. They would fight on until the enemy was completely crushed or they were totally vanquished.

As the battle raged on, Melissa watched with blossoming pride as her brother, Alan decimated the savage ranks with swift, purposeful swings of his halberd. The truth is, the savages were getting lashed and Alan was the chief whip. He struck every savage that strayed close to him with exemplary vigour and strength and it didn't seem at all like his energy was flagging. Melissa had seen him fight many times, mostly undignified fist-fights over gambling debts incurred at obnoxious alehouses and on some occasions, sword fights with seething cuckolds but unlike those times, she felt neither embarrassment nor fear. She only watched in awe as her brother covered himself with glory. And blood.

While Alan made her proud with his exploits, Xesandra with her nimble running and efficient shooting made her feel useless. She was there hiding when the dark lady was killing the Savages in scores. For a while, she wished she had Xesandra's keen eyes and quick hands, Alan's brute strength, Elliott's courage and Sir Harding's experience. Even young Royce's mastery of the twin daggers was impressive for he held his own quite well against the savages.

In a move that would be the theme of Melissa's nightmares for days to come, one of the savages, angered by the unending damage caused among his tribesmen by Alan, leapt at the fiery redhead from behind and wrestled him onto the floor. Melissa's heart went still as her brother disappeared from her sight. For a while, Melissa saw neither her brother nor the accursed savage as she frantically scanned the areas around the site of the scuffle. Then she saw the savage rise, raising a bloodied dirk aloft. Even from the considerable distance, she could see the smile of triumph on his face. Without doubt, her brother was dead.

"No!" She screamed in horror.

Thand, who had been napping, was instantly at her side, covering her mouth to prevent her from giving off another scream that may attract unwelcome attentions. He pulled her away from the window to a sitting position where she could no longer see her brother's killer. She screamed, kicked and struggled but she was no match for the man despite the fact that he was injured.

"What happened?"

"Alan. . ."

Thand wasn't sure who Alan was but he knew this little lady in front of him was bereaved. "I'm sorry. Just keep calm."

Melissa knew all sense of calm was lost as far as she was concerned. Her beloved brother was dead, gone forever. She felt submerged in a lake of pain and sorrow. Even guilt gnawed at her heart. Alan would never have died in the hands of a savage if not for her associations with the Prince which led to the rebels kidnapping them on their way to the trade mission at Sassule.

Torrents of hot tears gushed down her cheeks, blurring her vision. She cried so much that her head became fuzzy, the shouts of battling men and clashing of weapons outside the cottage slowly becoming indistinct to her ears. Soon the only thing she heard was Thand's soothing words and even that slowly became inaudible as she drifted asleep.

She woke up much later to the gentle patter of rain on the roof and thundering footsteps just outside the cottage. She shook her head to clear the fuzziness therein. The interior of the cottage was darker now, but she wasn't sure if it was due to the rain or the passing of time.

"They won. The savages are crushed," Thand offered. To Melissa, if there ever was a pyrrhic victory, this was it.

Now, the company of Red Knights returned. Xesandra entered first, her vesture dripping of a mixture of blood and rainwater. Elliott and Moreau followed. They bore a wide slab of timbre on which a shrouded body lay. Overcome by fatigue and despair, they dropped the slab and flopped to the floor beside it, not saying a word to Melissa and Thand.

Melissa felt her heart collapse within her when she saw her brother's covered corpse. She scrambled over to where the slab was and knelt beside it, her hands quivering as they moved to pull the sheet off Alan's face so that she could gaze at his features again.

"Don't, please," Xesandra said in a tremulous voice. Her red, teary eyes suggested that the wetness on her face wasn't entirely due to rainwater.

"Please, I have to."

With unsteady hands, Melissa pulled the shroud off her slain brother's face. His hair wasn't red and his lips not fenced with a fancy moustache. His facial hair was too abundant to be Alan.

"By the Twins. . . Sir Harding!" Melissa gasped. "How. . . How?"

"He was surrounded," Xesandra said between sniffs. "We couldn't save him."

Alan trudged in just then, leaning on Royce for support. There were cuts on his face and there was a deep cleft in his chest; the wound inflicted by the savage Melissa saw. Melissa leapt to her feet at once. Here was the man she was mourning, alive, still breathing. She rushed to his side and swept him up in an embrace.

"Where is the chest?" Thand asked.

Silence.

"Did you guys get it?" Thand repeated.

Again, Thand got no answer. The warriors stared into space, none of them seemed willing to talk.

"Xesandra, where is it?" Melissa asked.

It was Elliott who answered. "We didn't get it. The chief monk at the temple said just yesterday, a group of armed men came to him carrying a letter that bore the royal seal. The letter, written in Sir Millicent's name, ordered that the chest be released to the men. There was nothing he could do."

"But we can't let them get away with the chest," Melissa cried. "That is the only way to stop Sir Millicent. Can't we ride after them?"

"We can't," Elliott replied. "A few questioning led us to realise that the men who that took the chest were really phantoms. We cannot attack them. I think, it's over. This is the end of our rebellion against the state. We have lost the battle against evil."

In the soft glowing evening light that poured into the room through an open window, Melissa could see the disappointment and despair slapped on the faces of the warriors. Truly, it was over.

3 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:01am On Apr 05, 2018

Sir Millicent leaned against the balustrade on the highest floor of the citadel with a half full chalice of Northern wine in his hand. He was watching a training session of a troop of imperial soldiers going on in an adjoining field. He watched the drilling with growing interest until a hand laid on his shoulder made him turn away. It was Finn, he had just returned from Carlen's two days before and his clothing was padded around his chest region where the bandages were applied.

"I've checked you in the court," Finn said. "Have you heard the news?"

"What news?"

"Carzef has been pillaged by savages. One of those who escaped after the savages arrived said they were burning houses and killing people at will."

Sir Millicent's face clouded. "'Tis not them I blame. My Uncle should have rooted out those rustic bastards long ago. Say, when did the attack begin?"

"Yesterday, in the morn."

"And there were no military outposts there?"

"None. The town was raped without resistance."

Sir Millicent took a swig from the chalice. "Get a good man to go down there with five hundred men. Let them stop the savage nonsense."

"And if f they are outnumbered?"

"Let them send for support. Be gone."

Finn nodded and skittered off to obey Sir Millicent's command. Just as Sir Millicent made to turn back to the training he had been watching, two Phantoms walked onto the parapet, bearing a large chest made of gold. The Phantoms set the chest down before Sir Millicent and stood at attention..

"Pray, what is that?"

"The chest bears the flaming sword, the only weapon that can bring about your downfall," Someone who was just walking onto the parapet said. The person was Lady Suzannah. "So I wrote an edict in your name, sealed it royally and sent the Phantoms to get it down here before it could fall in the wrong hands."

"Priceless woman, what would I do without you?" Sir Millicent said. He crouched beside the chest and ran his hands over the markings on it. "Such a beautiful holder for a dangerous weapon. Just like the beautiful body houses the dangerous mind eh?"

Next, Sir Millicent tried to open the chest but it didn't yield. "What's happening here?"

"Only people with the right powers can open it," Lady Suzannah said. "As far as I know, only Marcus Elymus can open it."

Sir Millicent exhaled. "I am tired of listening to the boy's merits. I will have to do something about him very soon. Now you, break the chest open."

The Phantom which Sir Millicent commanded swung his mighty blade and brought it down with superhuman force on the chest. The sword was smashed into pieces. And the chest remained undamaged.

Lady Suzannah chuckled. "Even blades forged with high magic won't destroy it."

"Well, well. You two, take the chest into the royal vault and seal it in," Sir Millicent said as he drained the chalice and tossed it over the parapet.

The Phantoms carried the chest away, leaving Sir Millicent and Lady Suzannah alone on the balcony.

"The big day draws near," Lady Suzannah said. "Have you decided on what to do with Tremor and D'Aubriere?"

"Public execution, of course. Nothing else will satisfy the people."

"Good," Lady Suzannah said. "And you have not been coming for our nightly engagements of late. Is something wrong?"

Sir Millicent grinned. "Ah, I have been trying to conserve my strength. You know, I wouldn't want to swoon during my coronation."

"What if I do more of the work this time?" Lady Suzannah asked as she sauntered closer.

Finn's hasty return deprived Sir Millicent of giving a reply.

"What is it, Finn?" Sir Millicent asked. "I thought you had gone to assemble the men."

"One of the guards saw this just outside a serving house near here. It must have fallen off the bearer."

"Where? Alin's?"

"No, Zeloe's."

Finn showed Sir Millicent what he brought. It was a chain with a globe surmounted by the letter G as pendant.

"Galleine," Sir Millicent breathed. "Galleine is back."

THE END OF CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

3 Likes

Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:39am On Apr 05, 2018
RICKYMARIO:
kudos vantee I can't wait to see the end of this wonderful story
Only a chapter to go. Thanks bro.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:39am On Apr 05, 2018
bigbauer:
I'm impressed not just by the story but your tenacity. I'm happy you've chosen not to abandon the story. Keep it up

Thank you sir.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:40am On Apr 05, 2018
Cadec007:
Pls any day u update mention me cos i am still following

Updated!

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:40am On Apr 05, 2018
Crystalprince:
You are really good man!
Thanks sir.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:41am On Apr 05, 2018
Ifeoluwatee6745:
Update Update Update
Done Done Done.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:42am On Apr 05, 2018
Jackossky:
My thirst for strange stories makes me yearn for more of yours.

Hello writer,

Strange story you say? Okay. Thanks sir.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:43am On Apr 05, 2018
emerald18:
hmmmm
Hmmmm?
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Cadec007(m): 11:17am On Apr 05, 2018
VanTee20:

Updated!
wow! thanks man!! I never gave up on the story!!
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 12:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
Cadec007:
wow! thanks man!! I never gave up on the story!!

Thanks for sticking around bro..

1 Like

Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Cadec007(m): 12:38pm On Apr 05, 2018
VanTee20:

Thanks for sticking around bro..
uwc!
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Jackossky(m): 4:43pm On Apr 05, 2018
VanTee20:

Strange story you say? Okay. Thanks sir.
I mean Enigmatic stories
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 11:08am On Apr 06, 2018
Jackossky:
I mean Enigmatic stories
Oh, okay. Thanks for the compliment.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Jackossky(m): 8:56pm On Apr 06, 2018
VanTee20:

Oh, okay. Thanks for the compliment.
Yes boss
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by stuff46(m): 7:48pm On Apr 08, 2018
cheesy grin Vantee baba always delivers the best, still I read
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by VanTee20(m): 11:40pm On Apr 08, 2018
stuff46:
cheesy grin Vantee baba always delivers the best, still I read

Stuff my bro. Been a while. Thanks for dropping by.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by BishopZion(m): 12:46pm On Apr 10, 2018
Guy I have been refreshing the page for long hoping to read the next chapter. When are you doing that? don't let me take it personal with you bro.

You are the best.
Re: A Tale Of Legends: Perfidy. by Whyke141: 8:46pm On Apr 10, 2018
Poet Heywhy speaks on the past!

When we travel into our past, we tend to swim in rivers of memories while stirring waves of emotions. But, the important question is, do we wish to live in the past? Does our past interest us?

HeyWhy speaks on Africa's past! What happened during the days of our father's? What was the schedule?

This is poetry cum revelation, directly from the mouth of an African. You know, no one tells our story than we do!.. Enjoy��
http://www.whykeanthology.com/2018/04/time-past.html

Proudly Whyke.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

She Slept In The Kitchen And Won My Heart - Chukwuba Chiluba / Diary Of A Heartbroken Hustler / How 2go Relationship Landed Me In Psychiatric Home ( Short Story) - Classcaptain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.