Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,198 members, 7,780,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:48 PM

Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) (2272 Views)

What Was Your Highest Likes On Nairaland? / Capture Image From Webcam And Store In Mysql Database From C Sharp Winform / Vb.net Code To Display Image In Picturebox From Sql Server (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by kobonaire(m): 5:04am On Sep 18, 2014
So I noticed that on profile pages, there appears to be to distinctions of 'likes' for the profile pictures that members have uploaded ..... "new likes" and "old likes". What exactly is the logic in that? It appears to be an error to me or what do you think?

See a sample screen capture of a profile page ...

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by RoyalRoy(m): 5:09am On Sep 18, 2014
Obviously not an error.
You shouldn't get 100likes for two different pictures that weren't liked at the same time.

If your old profile pix got 99 likes and your new profile pic just has 1, won't it be a "cheat on likes" if they allocate all the likes to your new pix ?

My opinion though.

3 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by kobonaire(m): 5:13am On Sep 18, 2014
RoyalRoy: Obviously not an error.
You shouldn't get 100likes for two different pictures that weren't liked at the same time.

If your old profile pix got 99 likes and your new profile pic just has 1, won't it be a "cheat on likes" if they allocate all the likes to your new pix ?

My opinion though.
Ah smart observation my guy .... so the second set of 'likes' (the old likes) is for the previous profile picture which has been replaced with the current one .... thanks.

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by SpcAgtOko: 5:26am On Sep 18, 2014
The like count should reset with a new pic.. I don't see the importance of keeping track of old likes.

10 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by RoyalRoy(m): 5:35am On Sep 18, 2014
kobonaire: Ah smart observation my guy .... so the second set of 'likes' (the old likes) is for the previous profile picture which has been replaced with the current one .... thanks.

Yea it is....you are welcome sir!!
Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by RoyalRoy(m): 5:38am On Sep 18, 2014
SpcAgtOko: The like count should reset with a new pic.. I don't see the importance of keeping track of old likes.

At least it will give some peeps the high....having their pix liked boosts their "self confidence".
If the likes are not carried over then that means some peeps might be stuck with only one profile pic for many years while trying to keep the "likes".

5 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by SpcAgtOko: 5:41am On Sep 18, 2014
RoyalRoy:

At least it will give some peeps the high....having their pix liked boosts their "self confidence".
If the likes are not carried over then that means some peeps might be stuck with only one profile pic for many years while trying to keep the "likes".

Haha This is so true. I see some profile pics that haven't been changed in a long time with a lot of likes. I just wonder if that is the reason.

3 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Nobody: 6:02am On Sep 18, 2014
It's dumb. New pic, new likes. End. If maintaining likes is that important, keep the old pics with "Prev >" and have the likes under the corresponding pic.

Or remove the dang likes.

So sloppy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by McWhillion(m): 7:07am On Sep 18, 2014
The initiative was a response by Seun to some nairalanders who obviously cannot do without the orgásm that accompanies the increase of likes on their pix. For instance, when nairaland lost 5 months of data a while back, some people were more concerned about the "old" likes on their pix to the loss of their data. "Old" likes is something Seun must have picked up from the conversation of some nairalanders.

5 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 18, 2014
MissMeiya: It's dumb. New pic, new likes. End. If maintaining likes is that important, keep the old pics with "Prev >" and have the likes under the corresponding pic.

Or remove the dang likes.

So sloppy.
Seconded.

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Seun(m): 8:47am On Sep 18, 2014
MissMeiya: New pic, new likes. End.
This is bad because people won't update their profile pics to avoid losing their likes.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by nwaobitex: 8:54am On Sep 18, 2014
likes..
Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Enoquin(f): 9:07am On Sep 18, 2014
I am indifferent to this new addition but I wonder why the 'recent' button was removed @seun. That button allowed me see comments from other users, an interesting comment made me click on the topic under which the comment was made. I liked it because it was not necessarily from people I was following.

I would love that button to be restored.

Modified: The button was restored immediately after I submitted my post
Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 18, 2014
Old likes, new likes - makes no sense atal. Once a pix is gone, the likes should go with it.
btw must a pix have likes? What's that for anyway, likes for posts and topics is enough IMAO

5 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Collynzo17: 10:02am On Sep 18, 2014
Seun:
This is very dumb because people won't update their profile pics to avoid losing their likes.
That old likes and new likes stuff looks amateur and unnecessary really.
Whoever wants to update his/her profile pic will still do so whether the likes are lost or not.
Even if the person decides to stick with old pics, I don't see how it affects business.

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 18, 2014
Seun:
This is very dumb because people won't update their profile pics to avoid losing their likes.

Wow, a quote from Seun himself. Did you read the rest of my post?

Why is it "dumb"? How exactly is it less intelligent than an ambiguous "1 new like & 20 old likes" on a single picture? Have you heard of usability and intuitiveness?

Are you fond of insulting users who offer suggestions for improvement?

3 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by ERCROSS(m): 11:10am On Sep 18, 2014
Seun:
Talking about profile updating..
Broz...
Dat ur profile pics is older than my grandma...
Everytin is changing, and everybody is updating..
Update ur pics ..broh..
wink

8 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by emperorchedda(m): 11:53am On Sep 18, 2014
For real? Are there likes on profile pictures?? Funny enough I've never noticed it
Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
McWhillion: The initiative was a response by Seun to some nairalanders who obviously cannot do without the orgásm that accompanies the increase of likes on their pix. For instance, when nairaland lost 5 months of data a while back, some people were more concerned about the "old" likes on their pix to the loss of their data. "Old" likes is something Seun must have picked up from the conversation of some nairalanders.

Oh my. I've fainted away.
Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Seun(m): 2:47pm On Sep 18, 2014
MissMeiya: Apologies for reacting inappropriately to your passionate suggestions just because the way you expressed yourself felt a bit rude.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 18, 2014
Seun: MissMeiya: Apologies for reacting inappropriately to your passionate suggestions just because the way you expressed yourself felt a bit rude.

I belatedly realized that I expressed them harshly, especially given that you are an active participant of your forum. To be honest, I forgot that you read these things. I'm very sorry.

Thank you for your apology.

4 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by kobonaire(m): 3:31pm On Sep 18, 2014
I actually think that the "likes" on a profile picture is a good idea. If fellow NLers like your profile picture it's a good way of leaving feedback by pressing "like". Where I differ in opinion is in the display of "old likes". I think that the "old likes" should not be displayed to other users or the general public but only to the account holder. This way only the owner of the profile will be able to see the "old likes" and I believe this will make sense as only that user knows which previous picture was there. Other users cannot keep track of which previous picture a user had on their profile.
Of course the "old likes" information provides just historical context to the profile owner because even if the user restores the previous profile picture I do not think that the "previous likes" should be restored as there is no way to determine if the user has actually restored the previous image and not a new one. I do not believe that NL stores previous profile pictures in the database - it instead just stores the "number of likes" of that particular image.
Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by jajad: 4:10pm On Sep 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

I belatedly realized that I expressed them harshly, especially given that you are an active participant of your forum. To be honest, I forgot that you read these things. I'm very sorry.

Thank you for your apology.

Awww... group hug. grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 18, 2014
McWhillion: The initiative was a response by Seun to some nairalanders who obviously cannot do without the orgásm that accompanies the increase of likes on their pix. For instance, when nairaland lost 5 months of data a while back, some people were more concerned about the "old" likes on their pix to the loss of their data. "Old" likes is something Seun must have picked up from the conversation of some nairalanders.
Dang. This got me cracking. Seriously, the Old Likes don't appeal to me. I think it should be re-assigned to the user alone and not the rest of Nlers.

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by priscaoge(f): 4:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
When u have a new pic n someone 'Likes' it,it will be a 'Minus' to ur previous 'Likes'. And I don't understand this 'OLD Likes' and New Likesundecidedundecided...Is it not better to liv it like that...ie just 'LIKEs'

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by priscaoge(f): 5:11pm On Sep 18, 2014
RoyalRoy: Obviously not an error.

My opinion though.
But I don't understand Y 'Old Likes' keep deducting when u have a 'New Like',Is that not a "Cheat on Likes"?gringrin

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by adexsimply(m): 5:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
Enoquin: I am indifferent to this new addition but I wonder why the 'recent' button was removed @seun. That button allowed me see comments from other users, an interesting comment made me click on the topic under which the comment was made. I liked it because it was not necessarily from people I was following.

I would love that button to be restored.

Modified: The button was restored immediately after I submitted my post
You get mouth be that cheesy cheesy
Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by MizMyColi(f): 5:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
priscaoge:
But I don't understand Y 'Old Likes' keep deducting when u have a 'New Like',Is that not a "Cheat on Likes"?gringrin

Oh! You noticed too?
And some people might be feeling that someone/people just be beefing them grin

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by priscaoge(f): 5:30pm On Sep 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

Oh! You noticed too?
And some people might be feeling that someone/people just be beefing them grin
Seriously d 1st day I saw it,that's exactly what came to my mindcheesycheesycheesy,U are so rightcheesycheesy

2 Likes

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by MizMyColi(f): 5:37pm On Sep 18, 2014
priscaoge:
Seriously d 1st day I saw it,that's exactly what came to my mindcheesycheesycheesy,U are so rightcheesycheesy
*facepalm*
Same Here. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by Enoquin(f): 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2014
adexsimply: You get mouth be that cheesy cheesy

$query2 "mysql_query("SELECT adexsimply FROM southwest TO ta! Kingdom)

Decode that if you will tongue cool
Re: Two types of "likes" on profile image (old & new likes) by adexsimply(m): 5:44pm On Sep 18, 2014
Enoquin:

$query2 "mysql_query("SELECT adexsimply FROM southwest TO ta! Kingdom)

Decode that if you will tongue cool
LMAO!!!!! grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Pls / Sending Sms Using Vb.net Window Application / How To Block Internet Connection For Coreldraw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.