Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,047 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ (24886 Views)

Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force / Excuse Me God, Are You Partial? Must Read.. / Christians: Does God's Word Allow Divorce or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 18, 2014
After an airman was unable to complete his reenlistment because he omitted the part of a required oath that states “so help me God,” the Air Force changed its instructions for the oath .

Following a review of the policy by the Department of Defense General Counsel, the Air Force will now permit airmen to omit the phrase, should they so choose. That change is effective immediately, according to an Air Force statement.

“We take any instance in which Airmen report concerns regarding religious freedom seriously,” Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James said in the statement. “We are making the appropriate adjustments to ensure our Airmen’s rights are protected.

“The Air Force will be updating the instructions for both enlisted and commissioned Airmen to reflect these changes in the coming weeks, but the policy change is effective now. Airmen who choose to omit the words ‘So help me God’ from enlistment and officer appointment oaths may do so.”

The issue gained national attention in early September after a letter from the American Humanist Association outlined the case of an airman stationed at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada who was unable to complete his reenlistment after striking out the phrase in question on a form. The AHA said it was prepared to sue on religious freedom grounds unless the airman was allowed to reenlist without saying the phrase.
The requirement, the AHA argued, violated the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

The issue drew attention to a previously unnoticed rule change: The rules governing the Air Force’s enlistment oaths used to include a note stating that “Airmen may omit the words ‘so help me God,’ if desired for personal reasons.” That exception quietly disappeared in October 2013, after which the Air Force required the inclusion of the full oath for any enlistment or reenlistment.

Now, the airman’s paperwork “will be processed to completion,” the Air Force statement said.
“We are pleased that the U.S. Department of Defense has confirmed our client has a First Amendment right to omit the reference to a supreme being in his reenlistment oath,” Monica Miller, an attorney with the American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center, said in an emailed statement.
www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/09/17/the-air-force-will-now-allow-airmen-to-omit-so-help-me-god-from-enlistment-oaths/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by MizMyColi(f): 9:07am On Sep 18, 2014
Good, no, better cheesy

8 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by hungryboy(m): 9:21am On Sep 18, 2014
How many who utter those words has god helped?,
i bet majority of american airmen who lost their lives in iraq and afghanistan uttered those words

11 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 18, 2014
nice move, in fact the word "God" should be banned in schools, courts, hospitals and public places.

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by F22RAPTOR(m): 9:32am On Sep 18, 2014
love the way this Americans are systematically deleting God from their lives....doomsday imminent.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by aminho(m): 10:26am On Sep 18, 2014
And they will still claim America as GODS own country,one nation under God

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by eemalex(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2014
So help us God

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by estyvino(m): 10:27am On Sep 18, 2014
From where cometh my help...... ''so help me God''

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Tikitaka(m): 10:28am On Sep 18, 2014
who cares?
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 18, 2014
Godless society; Anarchy looming. First it was stopping prayers said in schools and public places. Then their entertainment industry made a push to censor "God", Jesus etc on screen; and now this... Hmm... If some one tells me the great conspiracy is a farce, and that the US isn't linked up with the illuminati or free masons in anyway, or that the desire to rule the world is beyond political considerations, then, that person can as well make me believe that Jonathan isn't Nigeria's president. ** I didn't make this comment to get responses from atheists or atheist apologetics. Pls expect no replies.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by sexymoma(f): 10:29am On Sep 18, 2014
Why
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Sycluxxx: 10:29am On Sep 18, 2014
GOD..i thank you...

I just came back to nairaland last night..after my E-live

and my first post is on the first page of front page

indeed no place like home cool cool

bless my hustle here LORD

SO HELP ME GOD

this comment is dedicated to kelvingraphics for bringing me back to nairaland cool cool

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by kennosklint(m): 10:29am On Sep 18, 2014
Hw dat one com take concern me...mtchewww dat one na dia wahala

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 18, 2014
fp

4 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Olong(m): 10:30am On Sep 18, 2014
Signs of the end time....!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 18, 2014
America was built on a Godly foundation. Now all that is lost.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by UrbanMystique: 10:31am On Sep 18, 2014
That's a tolerant country there.

A country worth living. Not a country filled with religious hypocritical maniacs

28 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by juicydiceyjoe(m): 10:31am On Sep 18, 2014
Thats their cup of tea..
We have boko haram to attend to

3 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by 01emek(m): 10:31am On Sep 18, 2014
I was supposed to be the 9th to comment but only to sumit my comment and saw my self at number 21th and i asked '' where are we running to fellow Nigerians ? cry

All i could say for now is ''SO HELP ME GOD''. Amen.

10 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Olyboy16(m): 10:32am On Sep 18, 2014
Space taken
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 18, 2014
Signs of Jesus' second coming.

They are gradually trying to do away with God in their country

3 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 18, 2014
Well you can choose to call God, God or even refuse to recognise the fact that He is God or sovereign. Your opinion or mindset doesn't change the fact that He is still GOD grin

98 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by RotrEmmanuel: 10:32am On Sep 18, 2014
Scyllapatron: nice move, in fact the word "God" should be banned in schools, courts, hospitals and public places.
after the ban of GOD's name in public places, so your papa. name will take ova

juju worshiper since 1915BC. grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by AndyBlaze123(f): 10:33am On Sep 18, 2014
WHATEVER
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 18, 2014
hungryboy: How many who utter those words has god helped?,
i bet majority of american airmen who lost their lives in iraq and afghanistan uttered those words

When you join the army, dear boy, you do not expect to come back alive.

The ''so help me God'' is the soldier saying ''I will perform my duties as a soldier with God's help even if I do not survive in the process''

You obviously think the Armed Forces are all about posing in those nice dress uniforms. No, son....it is , as the gladiators oath in ancient rome implies, a place for men to die.

Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant !

34 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Idrismusty97(m): 10:33am On Sep 18, 2014
A welcomed development!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by ibnzubair(m): 10:33am On Sep 18, 2014
Okay
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 18, 2014
Okay, thats good.
Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by Olong(m): 10:34am On Sep 18, 2014
se0un: One day God will die and men will live on other planets. fp

God will what? Are you OK?

11 Likes

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by donbenie(m): 10:34am On Sep 18, 2014
Is your so called godly society any better than theirs ?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ by sibepoc(m): 10:35am On Sep 18, 2014
I don hear

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Shall It Profit A Man To Gain The Whole World And Lose His Soul / Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? / Why Generational Curses Still Affect Many Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.