Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR (46653 Views)

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? / Replies To Google Head Of Pr's "The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes" -A Counter / In Need Of Hr Training Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 18, 2014
MichaelAustin: Michael Stevens wil tel u is 2 pages
Phillips Consulting wil say is 3 pages
who is right?
Durin our Orieantation camp, 3 resource persons contradicted themselves on CV writing
enyak mien mbok

LOL.

A recent school leaver shouldn't have a CV with pages beyond 2. At that stage you don't have much experience, if at all there's even any.

My opinion sha
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Shollay20(m): 9:31pm On Sep 18, 2014
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by dollyptosh(m): 9:35pm On Sep 18, 2014
Jarus: I once got to an interview only to see that the CV I sent to them did not contain the name of the organization I had worked. It was mistakenly deleted in the process of editing the CV before I sent to them. The interview began and I told them I had x years experience on Y company. They asked, where's that on your CV, I told them it's there; wanting to show them, I collected it, only to see that the company name was not there, although the position and years were ther!!!

I told them it was an error. "Oh, that's an error, it must have been mistakenly deleted"
loool
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Shollay20(m): 9:35pm On Sep 18, 2014
God safe us from this heavy downfall/rainfall.......see big floooooooooooooooooooooooood @ilorin......
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by radiant3(f): 9:37pm On Sep 18, 2014
Insightful...
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Shollay20(m): 9:39pm On Sep 18, 2014
See flooooooooooood around asa dam, and ilorin metropolitant.................flooooooooooodssss, is still raining now 2hrs
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Shollay20(m): 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2014
Killer rain in ilorin kwara state...............tomorrow news
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by gantic: 10:05pm On Sep 18, 2014
I never comment but forced to comment on this.....beautiful and on point.
The average Nigerian writes a lazy resume, lazily prepares for an interview and yet believes every job gotten is by "connection". Good jobs dont come easy, so if you cant get a resume right....you are not ready to start the slug it takes for a good job.
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by mya1: 10:07pm On Sep 18, 2014
adeoladrg: I met a graduate who doesn't even know what a resume is. A lot of graduates don't know what you mean till you say CV. Where do we start from?

In Nigeria and Europe, you are expected to give in a CV not a resume. Resumes are used mainly in America. CVs are lengthier and more detailed than resumes- and it's what is used in Nigeria.
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by beckyomas(f): 10:16pm On Sep 18, 2014
Malakh: how much con dey yr bank account undecided
Extra 10K undecided
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by DICKtator: 10:18pm On Sep 18, 2014
adeoladrg: I met a graduate who doesn't even know what a resume is. A lot of graduates don't know what you mean till you say CV. Where do we start from?

Who doesn't knew what resume is? It means to continued or begins from where you has stopped!!

Thank me laters!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
beckyomas:
Extra 10K undecided
let me deposit 50 million us dollars$
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 18, 2014
beckyomas: Bookmarked.
*modified*
Can't believe i'm FTC again grin
Can you guys see me from down there? Don't worry, it'll be your turn one day.
Btw, signs of greater things to come grin
your mates are publishing front page posts...you are busy celebrating first to comment...SMH*
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by jezsie: 10:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
good grin
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by joseph1832(m): 10:48pm On Sep 18, 2014
Abegi make we hear word joor! Every time resume this C.V that. Are you trying to tell me that if GEJ is my uncle or even if Atiku is my distant relative even if I graduate with a pass from a university I will not get a good job in Nigeria. People should know that your C.V or resume is not a necessary criteria for you to get that dream job. All you need to is for you to know one big shot and Voila! You are home free for there's a saying: "when in Rome, think and behave like the Romans". So when in Naija think and behave like the Nigerian. Nigeria is a country where nepotism thrive beyond meritocracy. It's a country where genius' bow before fools and morons. So what are you telling me?. Abeg make una leave matter for mathayas.

1 Like

Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Opetech(m): 11:10pm On Sep 18, 2014
You need to read this. It's a comment from the source of the article.

First, articles virtually identical to this one have
appeared dozens and dozens of times here on
LinkedIn and elsewhere on the Internet . If you
want to get noticed , why not write about a
fresh topic or , at the very least, take a different
angle on this topic to differentiate it ?

Second , every person on LinkedIn could
compile a list of annoying things that happen
with frustrating regularity on their jobs . Maybe
other HR people cheer these resume perfection
articles , but to everyone else it sounds like
incessant whining . The millionth article
complaining about typos in resumes ( this
article might be a candidate for that title ) isn ' t
going to fix the problem. People don ' t
purposefully put typos in resumes just to annoy
HR people ( although it ' s a temptation ) . It ' s a
mistake . It happens . Deal with it .

Third , when you reject candidates for violating
crazy rules, who are you hurting ? The
candidates will probably find jobs somewhere .
You ' re just arbitrarily removing potentially
qualified candidates from consideration by your
company for nonsensical reasons . Some of
those candidates might turn out to be star
performers who add great value to your
competitors . Does a software engineer need
perfect grammar and spelling to do his /her
job? When that candidate develops a billion
dollar product for your competitors are you
going to feel proud for rejecting them in the
name of resume perfection? Your job is to hire
the best available talent for your company . It ' s
not about finding candidates that don ' t annoy
you.

Lastly , and I do agree lying is a bad thing ,
when you invent a system that automatically
rejects resumes for lacking every keyword you
desire , aren ' t you setting up scenario to
promote lying ? Isn' t it equally dishonest for a
company to demand more skills than is
necessary to reasonably qualify for any given
position ?

3 Likes

Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by FenonetConsults: 11:18pm On Sep 18, 2014
Wow... This is very educative. Thanks
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by InvertedHammer: 11:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
oladayo042: This post was posted on LinkedIn by Laszlo Bock, Senior Vice President of People Operations at Google. Enjoy!
You can check out the source for some nice rebuttals.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140917045901-24454816-the-5-biggest-mistakes-i-see-on-resumes-and-how-to-correct-them?_mSplash=1
/

I disagree with #4.

In the same resume', the applicant must have listed Microsoft as a place of employment.

So what's the big deal if he/she states that he consulted for a major software company in Redmond?

What then is the classified information the applicant is divulging?

SMH
\

Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by jobskills: 11:32pm On Sep 18, 2014
mya1:
In Nigeria and Europe, you are expected to give in a CV not a resume. Resumes are used mainly in America. CVs are lengthier and more detailed than resumes- and it's what is used in Nigeria.

Curriculum vita is a Latin word that means 'course of a life' while Resume takes it orgin from French and means 'summary'.

Yes, CVs are lengthier and could be up to 10-20 pages or more because they are mostly used in academics. Resume is shorter because it's a summary and used for employment purposes.

However, both are used interchangeably in some countries for employment purpose just like the quote above.

There are however differences in the way they are structured. For instance, most people include 'reference' on their resume (and cv when used for employment purpose), this is not required. No employer needs your reference at that stage of the recruitment process. So you can save space for more relevant information than stating references or putting 'available on request'

References are a must on a CV in an academic setting. They will always check you out from your references who must be authorities in your field of study.

The purpose of a resume is to get you an interview just like the article says.
You can check www.resumereviewng.com to evaluate how knowledgeable you are creating a resume that gets you an interview.

1 Like

Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Malakh: 11:42pm On Sep 18, 2014
beckyomas:
Extra 10K undecided
that is like 50 dollars, no worry e go better
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by Revolva(m): 11:56pm On Sep 18, 2014
omo me i dey lie for cv well welle dey help me
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by oladayo042: 12:07am On Sep 19, 2014
InvertedHammer:
/

I disagree with #4.

In the same resume', the applicant must have listed Microsoft as a place of employment.

So what's the big deal if he/she states that he consulted for a major software company in Redmond?

What then is the classified information the applicant is divulging?

SMH
\

I think you didn't get the point.

A guy works at a consulting firm (eg KPMG, McKinsey, etc) that has consulted for Microsoft before.

Employees of the consulting firm are required not to disclose their clients. The truth is that they are really working for the consulting firm, no matter where client posting may take them to.

The guy wanted to join Google. He didn't want to betray his non-disclosure oath so he vaguely mentioned 'a major software company in Redmond' in his CV.

Due to Google's knowledge of how the consulting firm works, they know that he's bound by a non-disclosure oath. Google H.R thinks mentioning ' a major software company in Redmond' betrays that oath in spirit but not in letter.

Google is afraid that if they hire this guy, he may later want to join Facebook and be tempted to write on his CV: 'I developed a brilliant social network for a tech giant in Mountain View, CA.' Afterall, he has not mentioned Google.

Non-disclosure means total non-disclosure. You can't agree to non-disclosure and be giving out subtle hints.

2 Likes

Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by adedayourt(m): 12:09am On Sep 19, 2014
rattlesnake: The Grace of God can overcome our CV limitations
Got me thinking
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by lincolnpix(m): 12:14am On Sep 19, 2014
Hi,

I am preparing to launch an Online Resume Builder that Nairalanders might be interested in, so I thought I'd share it. As an independent stand-alone resume, your online Resume won’t limit your job applications to a single job board, if interested... http://www.plentiplenti.com/resume-builder/

Cheers
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by henchamb(m): 12:39am On Sep 19, 2014
LIES!!!!! i cant forget my uncle who was thrown out federal civil seevice last year for lies. The stuff was discovered on the verge on promotion to a director.
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by InvertedHammer: 1:03am On Sep 19, 2014
oladayo042: I think you didn't get the point.

A guy works at a consulting firm (eg KPMG, McKinsey, etc) that has consulted for Microsoft before.

Employees of the consulting firm are required not to disclose their clients. The truth is that they are really working for the consulting firm, no matter where client posting may take them to.

The guy wanted to join Google. He didn't want to betray his non-disclosure oath so he vaguely mentioned 'a major software company in Redmond' in his CV.

Due to Google's knowledge of how the consulting firm works, they know that he's bound by a non-disclosure oath. Google H.R thinks mentioning ' a major software company in Redmond' betrays that oath in spirit but not in letter.

Google is afraid that if they hire this guy, he may later want to join Facebook and be tempted to write on his CV: 'I developed a brilliant social network for a tech giant in Mountain View, CA.' Afterall, he has not mentioned Google.

Non-disclosure means total non-disclosure. You can't agree to non-disclosure and be giving out subtle hints.

I see. Thanks
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by torresbruce671: 1:43am On Sep 19, 2014
before I looked at the paycheck which was of $7949 , I didn't believe ...that...my neighbours mother could realey earning money in their spare time from their laptop. . there uncle has done this less than twenty months and just now took care of the dept on their home and got themselves a Fiat Multipla . check out here>>>>>>>>> WWW.MONEYKIN.COM

Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by olajobsmaster(m): 1:50am On Sep 19, 2014
Mehn! What an expos

Well, I must say, after all mistake(s) have been corrected and the article's wise instructions implemented, anyone is a free resource one can use in finding his or her dream job in around Nigeria.

www.jobsmaster.com.ng

No hidden fees or Premium User charges. Just click and search for the exact job you want. Its like a Search Engine just for Job vacancies alone and searches vacancies just for you all over Nigeria.
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by PassingShot(m): 3:36am On Sep 19, 2014
The rebuttals are very apt. Most hiring managers look for stuupid reasons to reject a resume especially if the person is not connected. In the process, they leave out better qualified and competent candidates and end up with mediocre who have mastered the act of writing flawless CV only to discover later that they settled for the wrong persons.
I really enjoyed the replies to the original post.
Re: The Biggest Mistake I See On Resumes - Google Head Of HR by greatgeo(m): 4:51am On Sep 19, 2014
Why won't they lie when you guys will request one person to do the work of 3persons. HR want one person to know how to write program in all the programming languages ah one person. Anyway noted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

₦200,000 Minimum Wage: FG To Take Decision Soon / I Have Great Respect For People With These Professions. / Fidelity Bank Workers Protest Over Non Payment Of Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.