Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? (1400 Views)

Would You Advice Your Daughter/son To Marry Someone Like You? / Women And Regret: When There Marry Someone Thinking He Is Rich(photo) / She Doesn't Love Him, But He Doesn't Believe In Divorce. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 1:08am On Sep 19, 2014
Hello there,
There are some of us (Nigerians) who actually don't
believe in God. We don't go to church, we don't go to
mosques. Some of us can be quite moral, gentlemen,
and not players. We are as faithful and honest (or
dishonest) as the average Christians, and sometimes
more so. But we just don't believe in God. At all.
Suppose you meet someone who is so sweet, so loving,
so gentle, so understanding, so caring, so attractive, so
charming, etc. Someone who is everything you have
ever wanted in a husband or wife. But that person just
doesn't believe in God and despite all your efforts
cannot believe (or refuses to believe).
If that non-believer in God asks you to marry him/her,
will you oblidge, and under what conditions (if any)?
Thanks a million!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 1:14am On Sep 19, 2014
Capital NO ... @Op are yhu okay with that?
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 1:26am On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi...
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Idrismusty97(m): 1:33am On Sep 19, 2014
The question should be rephrased. It should be "Can you marry someone who doesn't believed in Your god?"

5 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Agbgift(f): 4:08am On Sep 19, 2014
No!
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by madmadu(m): 4:26am On Sep 19, 2014
2 cor 6: 14- do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. for what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? or what fellowship has light with darkness?

3 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by kilokeys(m): 5:41am On Sep 19, 2014
marriage works best when both patners have a common higher authority they respect.

if i marry a Christian like me.. i don't have to preach her into submission, tithing and other things..

fvck it.. if there was no afterlife.. this world would be the last place ill wanna be.. ill rather kill myself and rest in oblivion.. whats d mere point of.. getting born, growing, schooling, working, marrying, procreating, and dying off.. thats just a hopeless cycle

God, afterlife is d hope and that hope is the strength i need to endure the craziness of this futile world.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by MizMyColi(f): 6:23am On Sep 19, 2014
Apatheist: MizMyColi...

smiley I heard my name while I deep slept?
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Ymodulus: 6:54am On Sep 19, 2014
Yes I will so much love that

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 19, 2014
kilokeys: marriage works best when both patners have a common higher authority they respect.

if i marry a Christian like me.. i don't have to preach her into submission, tithing and other things..

fvck it.. if there was no afterlife.. this world would be the last place ill wanna be.. ill rather kill myself and rest in oblivion.. whats d mere point of.. getting born, growing, schooling, working, marrying, procreating, and dying off.. thats just a hopeless cycle

God, afterlife is d hope and that hope is the strength i need to endure the craziness of this futile world.
Wise saying...life could be meaningless at times
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 19, 2014
Not believing in God is is due to warped intelligence and spiritual ignorance.

But then who cares when love is involved?

Love makes people do strange things. It's such a reckless and yet essential emotion.

I'd gladly marry her.

Condition? Yeah, she shouldn't dissuade my kids from believing in God. cool

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:57am On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi:

And yhu woke up.. Go back to sleep jare before ah help yhu out with sleeping pills
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:59am On Sep 19, 2014
madmadu: 2 cor 6: 14- do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. for what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? or what fellowship has light with darkness?
May yhu remain bless....Some peeps make me thing otherwise, dahmn!! Btw, do they usually ask themselves how they got here?
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:02am On Sep 19, 2014
kilokeys: marriage works best when both patners have a common higher authority they respect.

Hmmmmm, that's all i can say.... God created we all.... Not any kinda god... so we his creatures need to believe in him....he brought us here.... In that aspect i need to have me a wife that will also cling to ma believe too.... aint got no time to be persuading anybody....* I luh ya post, bro*

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi:

^^^^ The topic.
Your thoughts?
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 19, 2014
Simple answer no.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by justwise(m): 9:39am On Sep 19, 2014
madmadu: 2 cor 6: 14- do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. for what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Do Christians follow that scripture strictly?

3 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 9:41am On Sep 19, 2014
justwise:

Do Christians follow that scripture strictly?
Yhu wouldn't know who is who.... Leave people to their life
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by justwise(m): 9:54am On Sep 19, 2014
JayKayMaybachz: Yhu wouldn't know who is who.... Leave people to their life

I'm not sure you are answering my question

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 10:47am On Sep 19, 2014
justwise:

I'm not sure you are answering my question
Lol... what i mean is that.... some peeps really abide to the norms of the church..... "christianity" ah mean... some really don't .... buh at the end of the day, the still believe in God.... Meanin we ain't in ghuud position to ask who is really following up.... Only God does
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by justwise(m): 11:22am On Sep 19, 2014
JayKayMaybachz: Lol... what i mean is that.... some peeps really abide to the norms of the church..... "christianity" ah mean... some really don't .... buh at the end of the day, the still believe in God.... Meanin we ain't in ghuud position to ask who is really following up.... Only God does

I asked that question because some Nigerians especially are very good at quoting scriptures but awful at doing a tiny % of scripture they quote.

This is one of the reasons why despite the fact that we have churches in almost every street in Nigeria, many tongue speaking and devil castling 'men' of God Nigerians are still regarded as one of the most corrupt and dishonest people in the world.

Our actions speak opposite of what we preach.

@Op...to answer your question...if i'm in love with somebody and we respect each other's principles then her faith will not bother me.

Believing in God will not be in my top 10 list of criterias because merely saying that you believe in God does not mean that you also do the will of God

6 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 11:28am On Sep 19, 2014
justwise: [/b]
I asked that question because some Nigerians especially are very good at quoting scriptures but awful at doing a tiny % of scripture they quote.

This is one of the reasons why despite the fact that we have churches in almost every street in Nigeria, many tongue speaking and devil castling 'men' of God Nigerians are still regarded as one of the most corrupt and dishonest people in the world.

Our actions speak opposite of what we preach.

@Op...to answer your question...if i'm in love with somebody and we respect each other's principles then her faith will not bother me.

Believing in God will not be in my top 10 list of criterias because merely saying that you believe in God does not mean that you also do the will of God
Well said bro... The way Christian leaders have messed up Christianity has made many peeps to derail from the truth
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 19, 2014
I dont care as long as she is intelligent, logical and rational

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by MizMyColi(f): 11:51am On Sep 19, 2014
In reply to Liefling [size=4pt]Apatheist[/size]
Lemme rephrase his ^^^ comment:

I don't care, as long as he is intelligent, logical, emotionally and psychologically present, brilliant, sensitive, a good communicator, unselfish, unmanipulative (sic), a good motivator.......

coolI could go on and on. cheesy

If he believes in the God that I believe in, that's an added bonus.
More like a package deal. grin

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by KelvinGraphics(m): 11:52am On Sep 19, 2014
Truth be told.
I dont think that anybody who believes in God kan marry sum1 who doesnt.
Maybe he who doesnt kan marry she who doesnt too.

But if it's as for dating, yea i kan date she who doesnt believe in God, but as 4 Marriage it is Mba, No!
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by JayKayMaybachz(m): 11:52am On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi: In reply to Liefling [size=4pt]Apatheist[/size]

I don't care, as long as he is intelligent, logical, emotionally and psychologically present, brilliant, sensitive, a good communicator, unselfish, unmanipulative (sic), a good motivator.......

Okay
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi: In reply to Liefling [size=4pt]Apatheist[/size]

Intelligent - ✔
Logical ✔
Emotionally and psychologically present
A good communicator - half-check
Unselfish [depends on what...]
"unmanipulative" embarassed
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by sexymoma(f): 12:07pm On Sep 19, 2014
Laye... As In lailai cool
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by MizMyColi(f): 12:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
Apatheist:
Intelligent - ✔
Logical ✔
Emotionally and psychologically present oops I meant intimate, not present please. I abhor abuse in those regard.
A good communicator - half-check Why?
Unselfish [depends on what...]For example, our last discussion on that virgin thread tongue
[size=14pt]"unmanipulative"[/size] embarassed
^^^ There's a whole note on this one, want the link? Here's some, for starterswink:
Unfortunately, many of us will become victims to psychological manipulation at some point in our dating life. We may enter a relationship with pure intentions, attracted and interested in our partner, only to later realize that person we fell in love with was nothing but a false image created to control us and feed into their own secret agenda and desires.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 19, 2014
Not believing in God does change the fact that God is God, since I know what I believe and God nothing less
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 19, 2014
This is a very serious topic....odikkwa risky

I can marry him if he doesn't believe in God and has all other attributes...I know it's a matter of time b4 he realizes dt he's existence is not by luck/accident.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by plaetton: 11:04pm On Sep 21, 2014
AirborneLacer: Not believing in God is is due to warped intelligence and spiritual ignorance.

But then who cares when love is involved?

Love makes people do strange things. It's such a reckless and yet essential emotion.

I'd gladly marry her.

Condition? Yeah, she shouldn't dissuade my kids from believing in God. cool

And not believing in Santa clause is result of warped......... Dumbness??
grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: Meet The World’s Oldest Conjoined Twins Who Celebrate 63rd Birthday / 60 Things That Made Tthe Childhood Of An Average Nigerian Child Memorable. / Neighbor's Son Tries To Show Off In Front Of My Window?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.