Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,459 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC (25683 Views)

Secession. Catalonia To Vote On Referendum From Spain. / Scotland Yard Detectives Identified In Uk Bribing Scandal - James Ibori / Osama Bin Laden's Death Does Not Swing American Voters To President Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by tunwumi: 6:05am On Sep 19, 2014
BBC One: Results programme
Scotland will vote to stay in the United Kingdom after rejecting independence, the BBC has predicted.

With 26 out of the country's 32 council areas having declared after Thursday's vote, the "No" side has a 54% of the vote, with the "Yes" campaign on 46%.

By 05:15 BST (06:15 GMT), the "No" campaign had more than 1,397,000 votes, with "Yes" on just over 1,176,000.

A total of 1,852,828 votes is needed for victory. The vote is the culmination of a two-year campaign.

The BBC is predicting on the basis of votes declared so far by Scotland's local authorities the "No" side will win the referendum with 55% of the vote while "Yes" will secure 45% of the vote.

This margin of victory is some three points greater than that anticipated by the final opinion polls.

Media caption
Scotland will vote to stay in the United Kingdom after rejecting independence, the BBC has predicted.

Scottish National Party leader Alex Salmond is en route to Edinburgh
Glasgow, Scotland's largest council area and the third largest city in Britain, voted in favour of independence by 194,779 to 169,347, with Dundee, West Dunbartonshire and North Lanarkshire also voting "Yes".

But Aberdeen City voted "No" by a margin of more than 20,000 votes, while there have also been big wins for the pro-UK campaign in many other areas.

Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond, who led the pro-independence "Yes" campaign, is expected to make a statement from his official residence at Bute House in Edinburgh at 10:00 BST (11:00 GMT).

Media caption
Nicola Sturgeon says she is "deeply disappointed"
In his first public comment since the results started coming in, Mr Salmond tweeted: "Well done to Glasgow, our Commonwealth city, and to the people of Scotland for such incredible support."

Prime Minister David Cameron said: "I've spoken to Alistair Darling (head of the pro-UK Better Together campaign) - and congratulated him on a well-fought campaign."

Mr Cameron is expected to respond to Scotland's decision in a live televised address following the final result.

Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon told the BBC the projected result was "a deep personal and political disappointment" but said "the country has been changed forever".

Ms Sturgeon said she would work with "anyone in any way" to secure more powers for Scotland.

Source: http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-29270441

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by englishmart(m): 6:25am On Sep 19, 2014
To be independent na by force?

Some selfish people wanting to loot by enforcing independence.

We are not going to leave the UK.
Period!

6 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by LordMecuzy(m): 6:36am On Sep 19, 2014
Lol am here Where's Akitijackson
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by otijah(m): 6:47am On Sep 19, 2014
Ok
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by pabon(m): 6:47am On Sep 19, 2014
Why
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by wellmax(m): 6:48am On Sep 19, 2014
I said it, these guys will remain with the UK
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by suolboy(m): 6:48am On Sep 19, 2014
wow
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by strykr: 6:48am On Sep 19, 2014
Jdi
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by kingzjay(m): 6:49am On Sep 19, 2014
Kk
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by rattlesnake(m): 6:49am On Sep 19, 2014
Hmmm....wish we can hire these voters to help us vote in 2015

6 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by bist: 6:49am On Sep 19, 2014
Choices!!!
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 19, 2014
They are stronger together. Having the highest numbers of billionaires in the UK doesn't mean you can manage your economy. Mr First Minister please accept the result.

Go ask the Quebecans

2 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by abes(m): 6:50am On Sep 19, 2014
A classic case of stockholm syndrome....

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by sirjohnson(m): 6:50am On Sep 19, 2014
Thank God for them
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Ezedon(m): 6:50am On Sep 19, 2014
we r here looking for independence and they r enforcing to some peoole over there
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 19, 2014

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Kbraims(m): 6:50am On Sep 19, 2014
First in HISTORY i made a front page i feel lyk dancing etighi/azonto @ d same time... Back 2 d topic mostly dividing a country brings chaos nd instability 2 both sides... I lyk d output of d vote.Chai i don 4get notin concern me wit all dis british pple afterall dey enslave my forefathers ptwss...
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Raiders: 6:50am On Sep 19, 2014
Nice one to the people of Scotland. Dividing a country is not the solution to problems. United we stand, divided we fall. I hope those people that want to divide Nigeria for their selfish reasons to learn from the Scotland people.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 19, 2014
Victory for democracy

At least they voted

Whether yes or no. But they voted and that's what matters

How did youguv poll of polls predict so accurately?

The orderliness of both sides win or loose is what makes the British people special

The prime minister even in victory has gone out to announce even more devolution for all regions in UK

It's victory for all in my view and Alex Salmond has every right to hold his head up high!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by RockMaxi: 6:51am On Sep 19, 2014
Like I said earlier Media coercion at work.

5 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Rijes: 6:51am On Sep 19, 2014
Nigeria follows as thus.

2 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by henchamb(m): 6:51am On Sep 19, 2014
Stayed awake all night because i wanted Scottish independence but seems that the Scott voted in fear just becos of British threat to close down British firms in independent Scotland

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by gbaskiboy: 6:52am On Sep 19, 2014
Ok oo
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by ibro2much(m): 6:53am On Sep 19, 2014
At last dem no want make Scotland go on dem own....anyway getting independent not na still enjoyment for them over there unlike naija here
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by seunlayi(m): 6:53am On Sep 19, 2014
na by force?
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 19, 2014
Why do i feel it wasn't free and fair

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by chelseabmw(m): 6:54am On Sep 19, 2014
Scotland should relax jor grin, where them dey hurry go?
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 6:54am On Sep 19, 2014
Jonathannnnnnnnnnnnn angry

3 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 19, 2014
But why??

I heard scots are beginning to hold people hostages warning against independence

And looking from another angle, I pray this doesn't birth terrorism undecided
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by amnestylaw1(m): 6:55am On Sep 19, 2014
Lesson for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by gerrardomendes(m): 6:56am On Sep 19, 2014
Keneking: Jonathannnnnnnnnnnnn angry
Arrest this guy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

No Christmas Ceasefire - Russia Rejects Ukraine Peace Proposal / Greece Wildfire– Thousands Evacuated As Out Of Control Blaze Engulfs Homes(Pix) / Melania Trump Goodbye Message Promotes "Love Over Hatred, Peace Over Violence"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.