Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, (18155 Views)

W.H.O is expected to declare Nigeria an Ebola - Free Nation today / An Ebola Victim At Alimosho General Hospital? / Ebola: China Sends Medical Supplies To Guinea, Liberia And Sierra Leone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by moneybag100: 10:16pm On Sep 19, 2014
They were traveling to raise awareness about the spread of the deadly Ebola virus. Instead, it seems, they encountered violence.

Eight people on an Ebola team were killed in southeastern Guinea, near the country's border with Liberia, a government spokesman said in a statement Thursday. Among them were health care workers and local journalists.

Residents in the small town of Womey threw stones at the Guinea Ebola team when they arrived earlier this week, forcing them to flee, spokesman Albert Damantang Camara said. Some members of the group were able to safely reach the nearby town of Nzerekore, he said, while nine others went to find refuge around Womey.

Only one of the nine was found alive, hiding near the town.

The Guinean government has strongly condemned the killings and vowed to hunt down those responsible and bring them to justice. Camara said security forces have been deployed to support the ongoing investigation, and six people have been arrested in connection with the incident.

The fight against the spread of the Ebola virus "should be an opportunity for Guineans to set aside their differences and stand welded in this national effort," he said.

Ebola outbreak: Ways to help

This is not the first time violence has flared in West Africa amid the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record.

There have been other reports of teams from Medecins Sans Frontieres, the Red Cross and local ministries of health being pelted with rocks as they try to enter areas affected by the virus, MSF's Dr. Marc Forget told CNN. Earlier in the outbreak, a team from Medecins Sans Frontieres, also known as Doctors Without Borders, had to stop working in Guinea because local residents believed they had brought the virus with them.

In August, Ebola patients were forced to flee a health care facility in Monrovia, Liberia, as it came under attack by armed assailants. No one was injured in the attack, but the men stole mattresses and equipment, Liberian National Police spokesman Sam Collins said.

"It was an attack from people afraid of Ebola," Collins told CNN. "Everybody is afraid."

Sierra Leone starts nationwide lockdown

The outbreak, primarily spreading in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, has killed more than 2,600 people. Health officials have said the number of Ebola cases is growing too fast -- that they need more supplies, more health care workers and a better system to trace the virus.

President Obama recently announced that the United States will be sending troops and materials to build field hospitals, as well as additional health care workers and medical supplies to the region.

Maj. Gen. Darryl Williams, the U.S. Army-Africa commander, will lead the U.S. military's response -- officially called Operation United Assistance. He arrived in Monrovia two days ago with a 12-person assessment team, Rear Adm. John Kirby, the Pentagon press secretary, said Friday.

The assessment team will be "evaluating what our deployed U.S. military personnel will need in terms of support infrastructure to sustain the operations for up to six months or however long U.S. military assistance is required," Kirby said.

Both he and U.S. President Barack Obama have said the Department of Defense is prepared to devote up to $1 billion in resources to fight Ebola, saying it's a matter of national security.
Source: http://cnnmobile.com/primary/fullarticle?topic=newsarticle&category=intl&articleId=cnn/2014/09/19/health/ebola-guinea-killing#page2
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by mrprestige(m): 4:45am On Sep 20, 2014
This Ebola and its wahala every time. Guinea republic hmmm, being long I heared about them. Anyway RIP to the dead. Today will be a good day sha. (FTC cheesy)
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Kayraph(m): 4:45am On Sep 20, 2014
People are kinda wicked in this world. How could you kill people who are ready to help you escape from death?

Smh...

13 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by korel9: 4:45am On Sep 20, 2014
APC are to be blamed, I think. undecided

See dem
mrprestige: c
Kayraph: K

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Beesluv: 4:46am On Sep 20, 2014
So sad. RIP to the dead
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by generaliy07(m): 4:48am On Sep 20, 2014
See why some coloured, weak skinned folks thinks we Blacks are mentally derailed?

If only Africans will wake up and embrace literacy

They might have been misinformed

Same way Northerners chases anti polio health workers, and reject their vaccinations

Pity!!!

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by justi4jesu(f): 4:48am On Sep 20, 2014
Ignorance is a disease undecided

Too bad cry

RIP

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by idonbilivit(m): 4:48am On Sep 20, 2014
Smh illiteracy killing Africans since 1759 AD cry

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by kobonaire(m): 4:49am On Sep 20, 2014
Man, what kind of utter ignorance have these killers shown? What a sad way for those health workers to lose their lives so needlessly and brutally like this.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Mobsync(m): 4:51am On Sep 20, 2014
Most of these prople believe ebola was a white man invention, probably for biological weapons. And I don't blame them. Past records are against the whites. Remember when a pharmateucal company used children for experiment in Kano some years back.

Kano. 50 said to be killed though Pfizer said it was only 11.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6768799.stm

Medical experimentation in Africa (wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_experimentation_in_Africa

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by ayukdaboss(m): 4:55am On Sep 20, 2014
Now I understand why the white mugus think Africans are backward and illiterate.

Even this early morning when the brain is to be fresh and devoid of stale grey matter look at the comment of this helpless African below:

korel9: APC are to be blamed, I think. undecided

See dem

40 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by gift01: 4:57am On Sep 20, 2014
Africa disgracing the Black Race since the time of creation. You see why Obama is sending a military force to Africa to help fight Ebola?

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by onoja12: 4:57am On Sep 20, 2014
Some times i laugh,who is misinformed,is it the villagers who are on the ground wearing the shoe or you who is listening to western media.
that's not the first village,different villages in different countries have made it clear that its the white guys infecting them with this virus and you people are here saying they are ignorant,abeg the villagers are only defending themselves the only way they know how,from wicked,greedy,selfish and heartless capitalist.
we can still remember how they where infecting people in Libya with HIV before Gaddafi arrested them,we can remember how the where injecting sicknesses into our kids in Kano and the list goes on,so i think its you guys that are ignorant not them

18 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by kobonaire(m): 4:57am On Sep 20, 2014
Mobsync: Most of these prople believe ebola was a white man invention, probably for biological weapons. And I don't blame them. Past records are against the whites. Remember when a pharmateucal company used children for experiment in Kano some years back.
yes, that unfortunate incident happened in 1996 .... almost 18 years ago. If you draw parallels to that and the present day Ebola outbreak that is very real, then you are not doing yourself any justice like those killers did.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by merit12(f): 4:58am On Sep 20, 2014
Sowie
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by naijathings(m): 5:00am On Sep 20, 2014
People dey o!
U hunt down health workers and kill them. Kill 8 people without any feeling of pity for any... Just like that.
Hard to imagine.

And by the way... What is America trying to do? They even have a US Army Africa commander. They send in their troops with every excuse. Hmmmm.
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by nifton(m): 5:01am On Sep 20, 2014
Whc kind rubbish be dis,u wan go help pple dem come kill u,make dem leave dem wit dia ebola since they na dia birth rite.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by keypad1: 5:01am On Sep 20, 2014
why kill the people who put their lives into risk trying to help you? Africans and wickedness.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Pavore9: 5:01am On Sep 20, 2014
Cavemen..that is what they really are! They must be made accountable for the killings, l am just imagining a scene where some influential members of the village are brainwashing the ignorant lot, now let them come and defend their stupidity.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Silverstars: 5:02am On Sep 20, 2014
This is interesting. I'm sure most of you who commented above have not read the entire article. Aid workers were killed in Guinea and the United States is sending in troops. What exactly are troops going to do in a country ravaged by a deadly disease? The US is bent on establishing Africom and since Nigeria has vehemently rejected it, they are shopping for alternatives.

6 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by eleojo23: 5:03am On Sep 20, 2014
These people have a long way to go. You can't help yourself and you kill those who want to help you. What word do we use to describe this? Helpophobia? caused by ignorance?

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by PastorOluT(m): 5:05am On Sep 20, 2014
Heroes

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by chinex276(m): 5:07am On Sep 20, 2014
Conversation btw patrick sawyer nd satan
(patrick approaching d gate of hell... D devil on sighting him)
DEVIL:Pato! Hwfa
PATRICK(stretching his hand): Omoh i dey, hw na?
DEVIL: U fy craze ni... Who u wan shake? Oh!! U think say i no know wetin u do 4 one of my branch 4 africa abi?
PATRICK: Bros no be so oo... Na meeting i say make i attend 4 there oo, d thing jus get as e happen, infact...
DEVILsadInterrupting him)... I hear u, with ur lng tory... Bros abeg move bk small b4 u touch me by mistake... Ehmm...(calls his boys) mickeal jackson!, yaradua!,emeka!... Come make una excort dis guy go isolation centre make sure say una lock am up till dem find cure 4 d virus, b4 him go come cause gbege 4 here.
PATRICK: Ah!ah!!ah!!! Y na, wetin be dis na, na so wen i reach heaven everybody pick race even d angel wey dey mark name run... Na im i volunteer come here oo, bros no vex na...
DEVIL: Kai shut up, u knw d kind swear wey 9ja dey swear 4 u? There president call u "CRAZY MAN" 4 dat mata nd me self no wan take risk, oya (calls his boys) make una go wear una hand gloves sharp sharp bundle dis mumu go isolation centre, if una finish make una baff with hot salt water nd i hear say yaradua get kolanut 4 haus make una meet am make e give una may una chop.
Patrick sawyer make thunder faya u!

9 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Mobsync(m): 5:08am On Sep 20, 2014
kobonaire: yes, that unfortunate incident happened in 1996 .... almost 18 years ago. If you draw parallels to that and the present day Ebola outbreak that is very real, then you are not doing yourself any justice like those killers did.

There could be a link. And even if there isn't, people believe there is. Past records speak against the white.s
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by OmoNwa: 5:08am On Sep 20, 2014
I think the awareness level is low in Guinea, the government should come down to their level and explain these things to them. Why should people that dedicated their life to help curbing a deadly disease like EVD to die like that, those people are very wicked

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by MillionDollars: 5:08am On Sep 20, 2014
Some niqqas wolud still say GEJ till 2019 on dis matter

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by OmoNwa: 5:11am On Sep 20, 2014
MillionDollars: Some niqqas wolud still say GEJ till 2019 on dis matter

Why some will blame it on GEJ
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by pabon(m): 5:19am On Sep 20, 2014
SMH
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Bublanski: 5:34am On Sep 20, 2014
I suppose Ebola don dey mutate people into Zombies
...or Zombolas.
RIP to the dead!!
Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Jaymima(f): 5:37am On Sep 20, 2014
Fear is a killer for sure. So people now ignore the message but not the messenger...smh.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Eight People On An Ebola Team Were Killed In Southeastern Guinea, by Chibokgame: 5:37am On Sep 20, 2014
Which kind news report bi this ?

And,
Where were they travelling from , i hope they are not naija guys O ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

THE DANGERS OF MP/WIDAL TEST (www.primerhealth.com.ng) / 10 Shocking Photos of The Most disgusting Human parasites / Coronavirus: Cameroon Records First Case Of Deadly Virus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.