Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership (2242 Views)

10th Century Great Wall Of Kano And Associated Structures / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpia6: 2:38am On Sep 20, 2014
for example, in Ghana, the name John is seen as presidential, or otherwise VIP.

Which Yoruba names are considered as having that kind of connotation?

imo, i think any name beginning with "akin" generally instills some kind of awe in the hearer [in a normal setting that is, and all things being equal, barring any unforeseen circumstances].
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by ifaoni(m): 2:39am On Sep 20, 2014
olu, akin, ade etc. Get your cheap dats with bonus. Check my signature.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpia6: 2:40am On Sep 20, 2014
Olu is supposed to be reverence i think.

ie reverence for God.

the suffix is what would determine the name's reception.

Ade is also somewhat like Akin, but not exactly quite, although it does mean royal.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpia6: 2:54am On Sep 20, 2014
i think ola as a suffix is also considered important [ie significant].

eg jokotola [sits with wealth], eniola [wealthy person, or person of wealth],
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpia6: 3:09am On Sep 20, 2014
Ade as a suffix is also considered significant.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpia6: 3:22am On Sep 20, 2014
my point of reference is a general sphere, not a political one.

ie in the context of "what were the parents intentions when giving the child this name".

In politics, generally names like olusegun [God's victory- actually just means victory or victor], babatunde [ancestors have arrived], oba-prefix, ade-prefix [and especially ade-suffix] are sure bankers in that arena. Like, the basic real McCoy.

just my opinions.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by 2prexios: 8:25pm On Sep 20, 2014
tpia6: my point of reference is a general sphere, not a political one.

ie in the context of "what were the parents intentions when giving the child this name".

In politics, generally names like olusegun [God's victory- actually just means victory or victor], babatunde [ancestors have arrived], oba-prefix, ade-prefix [and especially ade-suffix] are sure bankers in that arena. Like, the basic real McCoy.

just my opinions.

great tpia, i hail o.

Well you know how it goes with Yoruba names: Ile laawo kato s'omo loruko.

Parents always have reasons to recourse to the ancestral traditions before giving their children names, some of such reflects on parental oriki and some on Agbole. This is meant to attach a man to his patriarchal history so to say.

For instance, my own oriki-agbo ile is "omo ola", so my dad added Ola to all the names of my siblings, according to progression of male children in his descent. Of course his successful man, but the Ola he was ascribing to was not wealth per se, but family or ancestral tradition.

Goodspeed.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by 2prexios: 8:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
tpia6: Olu is supposed to be reverence i think.

ie reverence for God.

the suffix is what would determine the name's reception.

Ade is also somewhat like Akin, but not exactly quite, although it does mean royal.

Not too sure if in traditional setting Olu represent Oluwa, except until the advent of Christianity. But Olu is a derivative of Sango, the great. She was the historic Olu-Ko-So, Alado. Another Olu comes from Olumo, meaning Olu-omo. To this the Yoruba has a folksong:

Edumare funwa l'Olu omo,
Edumare funwa l'Olu omo,

Olu omo man dani lOrun o,
Edumare funwa lOlu omo.

God give us the crown child
God give us the crown child
the crown child delight the soul
God give us the crown child.

Meanwhile, the Yoruba understood Oluwa as Lord, so we can say in Yoruba, Oluwa-re, to mean 'oneself'. this is a contraption of a clause, meaning "Oluwa-ara-re" (Lord to himself), i.e. a free moral agent. like you have it here in a simple statement below:

one don't have to pay attention to every distractions.
Oluwa'e 'o ni lati f'iye si gbogbo iregbe-k'iregbe.

A section of Yoruba will say, "oun tika lara re" as a variant of oun fun(a)ra re, to mean 'one' has done something by 'himself' or personally. We can't exhaust all Yoruba codex, just have to keep digging.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpiander: 8:59pm On Jun 28, 2015
Not too sure if in traditional setting Olu represent Oluwa, except until the advent of Christianity

it probably did?

Meanwhile, the Yoruba understood Oluwa as Lord, so we can say in Yoruba, Oluwa-re, to mean 'oneself'. this is a contraption of a clause

most likely.

a movie like Ti Oluwa Nile, for example, means God.

haven't watched it yet though, don't know the synopsis.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by macof(m): 8:51pm On Jun 30, 2015
tpiander:

it probably did?

most likely.

a movie like Ti Oluwa Nile, for example, means God.

haven't watched it yet though, don't know the synopsis.

Olu(wa) means Lord, Lord could be the GOD you devote to or a great man you respect
a slave calls his master Oluwa, Kings are called Olu ie. Olufon, Olubadan, Olujido
Sango was called Olukoso

Christianity as a tool for distortion only make people think Olu refers to a God

2 Likes

Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by scholes0(m): 10:37pm On Jun 30, 2015
macof:

Olu(wa) means Lord, Lord could be the GOD you devote to or a great man you respect
a slave calls his master Oluwa, Kings are called Olu ie. Olufon, Olubadan, Olujido
Sango was called Olukoso

Christianity as a tool for distortion only make people think Olu refers to a God

Exactly.... Olu simply means Lord, or Master.
Olorun from (Olu-Orun: Lord of the Heavens)
Olu of Warri (King of Warri)
Etc.

1 Like

Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpiander: 6:25pm On Jul 01, 2015
what are we arguing about here?
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpiander: 6:37pm On Jul 01, 2015
2prexios:

Well you know how it goes with Yoruba names: Ile laawo kato s'omo loruko.

true

Parents always have reasons to recourse to the ancestral traditions before giving their children names, some of such reflects on parental oriki and some on Agbole. This is meant to attach a man to his patriarchal history so to say.

that's right.

For instance, my own oriki-agbo ile is "omo ola", so my dad added Ola to all the names of my siblings, according to progression of male children in his descent. Of course his successful man, but the Ola he was ascribing to was not wealth per se, but family or ancestral tradition.

Goodspeed.

Ola also means family, not only wealth, true.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by leederrty1997: 9:21pm On Jul 01, 2015
Ade, Olu, Akin, Enitan, Obafemi, Akanni, Adesegun and so on.
For Nigerian histories, culture and tradition, legends, places and lifestyle in early Nigeria, visit www.oldnaija.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpiander: 11:02pm On Jul 01, 2015
^ why is Enitan on your list, just curious.
Re: What Yoruba Names Are Commonly Associated With Leadership by tpiander: 6:34pm On Jul 09, 2015

(1) (Reply)

. / Meet Olori Adebukola Ogunwusi, Wife Of Newly Crowned Ooni Of Ife(photos) / See Photos From Superlative 1-year-old Birthday Party Of An Edo Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.