Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,759 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror (28378 Views)

"Cameron Flew Commercial To China For £40B, 2016 PMB Flies Private Jet For $2b" / Presidency Moves Against Terror Attack In Villa / Ukrainian Cargo Plane Grounded In Kano For Carrying Military Hardware (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Nobody: 9:54pm On Sep 20, 2014
EMANY01:

Nigerians are smart enough? And they bought the bullshi*t stories about kolanut curing Ebola then salt and water and possibly pesticides ........? MIster please......whatever argument you were making has been invalidated by that line .
I wouldn't waste my energy debating the subject topic with you because your understanding of the Nigerian physic is fundamentally flawed.

If you don't want to debate it you should have kept your opinion to yourself. Telling me my knowledge of Nigeria is limited and not shedding any light on how or why you reached such a conclusion is useless.
The people who went out and used salt to prevent Ebola are not the people I expect to actively participate in how their affairs are conducted.
Some of you just like to comment even when you have no clue what you are talking about. If you think Nigerians are not smart enough to determine what to ignore and what to believe then tell GEJ to start hurling journalists to jail like Abacha did.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by ABJ4Real(m): 10:16pm On Sep 20, 2014
Does this make sense? America is at the fore front of global war against terrorism. Then thesame people have developed feet of clay in supporting what totally negates their principles. There is more to it than meets the eyes.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by iffedayur(m): 10:19pm On Sep 20, 2014
If Gani Fawehinmi of blessed memory was alive, he'd tell you if freedom of speech is a God given right.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Litmus: 10:32pm On Sep 20, 2014
Folks don't understand how this racism works so they say it is simplistic. I'm too exhausted these days by projects to go into it. Anyway...okay say Nigeria, finding that America and other Western power influenced by America refuses to sell her necessary equipments, turns to the Eastern Blocks as alternative. All things being equal, Nigeria should find herself being able to purchase the hardware required from these Eastern block nations and China and so on -

But you see racism operates deep withing the machinery sometimes hidden and lost to the conscious mind.

- so Nigeria turns to purchase hardware from eastern block nations, China etc only to find that the Eastern block and Chinese want suddenly to sell you decrepit weapons system safe in the knowledge that you've no where else to turn for your military hardware needs (remember South Africa?). This scenario occurs when your client has you in racial contempt. Of course you will tell yourself - in such a situation- that in this game of international politics there are no friends etc etc.

People tell themselves that money overcomes racism in practical terms but this is not true. Many racists would rather die sometimes than sell you things. You can stuff your money where the sun don't shine principles and sentimentality suddenly overrides everything ...

....thus you cant understand why America who stands to gain much from you turns its back against you quoting human rights and such shit- pardon the expression and couldn't give a darn what you have on offer on the table and goes elsewhere to tolerate the crap you'd never dream of doing to them

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by davitogreat(m): 10:43pm On Sep 20, 2014
for those of you curious. Here is a pic of the first stealth capability war ship manufactured by the Chinese. The second of these will be partially manufactured in Nigeria. So we are going to get a lot of skill transfer. Especially in the production of stealth systems.

[IMG]http://1.bp..com/-EVwBsE9SE8M/UucyuUoV_AI/AAAAAAAAXHk/yEXSOzfoOOo/s1600/094243dex10jseddx3knyu.jpg[/IMG]

here is a picture of the mi-35 attack helicopters recieved from russia 2 weeks ago. From beagle blog
http://beegeagle./2014/09/03/nigerian-air-force-begin-taking-delivery-of-state-of-the-art-mi35m-helicopters-absolute-world-exclusive-photo/

[IMG]http://oi59.tinypic.com/24yspk6.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://oi58.tinypic.com/10f50cl.jpg[/IMG]

I dont know why but for some reason the picture url is not working for me on nairaland so you have to click on the link to see the pictures. I apologise.

sidenote: can someone else please post the pictures on the thread?

Thanks.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by EMANY01(m): 11:00pm On Sep 20, 2014
F117A: Calling you a pseudo-intellectual is paying you an unmerited complement.
You are dishonest.
Maybe you think the US will sell weapons to Nigeria with buhari as president.

I think that is what they believe.It will not happen but if in the unlikely event that they(US,Europe) do sell weapons to Nigeria during a Buhari presidency (God forbid bad thing), every politically aware Niger deltan will take that as a confirmation of the fact,that the west was complicit in the alleged failures of the Jonathan Administration for reasons ostensibly in line with their long established policy of giving the core north a leg up over the south (south south,south east) which they have done since long before and since,independence basically for the oil.
If this scenario plays out,you can be sure that the responce of the dissidents from the Niger delta will make just as much trouble for Nigeria as bokoharam currently is only difference would be that the target will be Nigeria's economy not killing innocent people like boko haram currently.
They will attack oil platforms storage infrastructure,export infrastructure,energy production via gas pipelines everything and anything that matters to Nigeria's economy, within and around the Niger delta .
Abulkadir Kure ,governor of Niger state a few years back once threatened that "just one act from the north will affect this country seriously" he was refaring to the what they the core north could with the hydro dams located in Niger state to bring Nigeria to its knees.
The Niger delta will not carryout "just one act" it will carry out several.....
The APC strategists realize this which is why they are fighting to bring in as many political heavyweights as they can into the party not that they have any success but they can try.
Come,post Jonathan 2015- they will find out how little influence the Ameachis, the John Odiguns and co have on the feelings of the peoples (I used the term peoples because this is not just about the ijaws) of the Niger Delta.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by cypherjinx(m): 11:19pm On Sep 20, 2014
Ymodulus: Though my first post is PRO- nigerian government actions, i still have a doubt in mind and i will drop this

Damn lies
I don't believe that the Western arms manufacturers are refusing to sell arms to Nigeria. This is all lies.

Western arms manufacturer would even sell arms to enemies of their own country unless their government specifically imposes bans on their arms export.

So far, no single Western country has a ban in place against selling arms to Nigeria. Why are some Nigerians so stupid to accept these lies?

What lies next?
That the $9.3 million cash seized in South Africa was meant for buy arms in the black market because Western arms manufacturers are refusing to sell arms to Nigeria?
. You ar neither here or there........

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by declaro(m): 12:24am On Sep 21, 2014
milehigh06: why are people who basically do not know how a country runs so quick to tell you what they think is right or wrong..If in your deluded head you think the US govt can stop personal business men from doing business with Nigeria,then you really need your head checked..in our haste to bash the west,we simply refuse to look deeper into the 9.3million sham being carried out by your corrupt govt...If USA is ot willing to sell to Nigeria,why must Nieria now go to the black Market when they can go to Russia and China like they claim to be doing now?have you deluded conspiracy theorists thought that up?

The Nigerian govt claims they had to go to the illegal market to buy arms forgetting that a nation like Russia,China,Japan and bunch of eastern Nations will be willing to sell to Nigeria because 1. they need the money and most importantly 2,they are willing to rub the nose of USA in it

when you lot take some time out to actually think,then you will see how you and your type is being used as a rag doll in this experiment called "Loot Nigeria till she bleeds to death "

My three bank accounts in the States were shutdown without any explanation, now someone is telling me that my accounts was closed due to I have been sending money frequently to Nigeria. US government is controlling business, US govt wouldn't tell you to do business with this country or not but will restrict you from receiving or sending funds to that country and it's Agency are at work all the time, I mean OFAC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by klassic(m): 1:39am On Sep 21, 2014
Ymodulus:
Kindly interpret the highlights below and juster pus it with the Western's stupid excuse. Guess you have your reason while they can legally not sell,intentionally even without an express ban. If you are a lawyer , i will advice you apply the first three rules of interpretation, to make you have a clearer understanding of my postulation.
Bro Arms manufacturers will be willing to sell arms to countries even against their government will so as to make money. we have seen this in history.

There are few restrictions on whom the government may export arms to. One notable exception is the Leahy Law, which prohibits U.S. military aid or training to foreign military units known to have[color=#990000] committed human rights abuses. Under the Pentagon's interpretation of the law, however, these restrictions may be lifted if the foreign government filters out the "few bad apples" in that particular unit. An International Code of Conduct on Arms Sales is also being negotiated with other arms exporters in the hopes of creating a common set of export criteria. Read on for more facts.[/color]
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by persius555(m): 4:15am On Sep 21, 2014
davitogreat:

well tell that to china, rwanda, uganda, angola, saudi arabioa, belarus then.
speaking your mind is a God given right but it dosent mean that leaders in power have to abide by it.
Especially when looking at developing countries. The amount of media censoring that goes on in the VAST majority of developing countries is alarming. A lot of the leaders of those countries believe that by censoring the media they can have stability in their nations.

(sadly this is true. Suppressing media does provide a measure of stability in developing nations)

If we look at Nigeria today one of the major reasons this country is so polarizing and divided is the fact that our media is free to churn out anything they see fit without fear. Again its thier right but you can see how much damage it causes. The fact Jonathan is not acting like many leaders in other countries who use the bruising of thier egos or the so called "unity of the nation" in this current political climate as a means to silence his opponents is commendable.

let me ask you a question..

What do you think would happen to the stability of china if the government stooped suppressing their media content? I can assure you things wont be anywhere as stable as it is today.

what do you think would happen in rwanda if the hutus had the free reign to come together and speak out publicly about the discrimination and oppression kagame is pouring out towards them? Do you think rwanda would be as peaceful as it is today? Do you think they would be still making great economic strides as they are doing presently?

the world is a very complex place.
I hope u are not suggesting that we become another rwanda or uganda.Abacha days are still fresh in our memory. As for america, its foreign policies are partly responsible for the ongoing crisis in the middle east. America is becoming a pain in the butt.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by arresa: 4:22am On Sep 21, 2014
iwonbaoko: American exploits in Abu Ghraib ,IRAQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/07/2013715113237109200.html

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/iraq/abu_ghraib/index.html

Unlike your lawless and corrupt country, the difference here is the fact that America put the woman in that picture and the other American service men involved on trial before sending them to jail. They all did jail time..

Leave ignorance and shallow thinking alone and find something better to do with your time..
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Nobody: 4:58am On Sep 21, 2014
when is this self-shaming going to stop?

Abacha must be turning in his grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7TDcwVY3I
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Nobody: 5:04am On Sep 21, 2014
A government constantly presenting the country to the world as useless, helpless and pitiful.

When will this sleeping giant wake up and roar again?
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by BlackTechnology: 5:59am On Sep 21, 2014
GenBuhari: A government constantly presenting the country to the world as useless, helpless and pitiful.

When will this sleeping giant wake up and roar again?

The day GEJ builds an ammunition and weapons industry in the SE/SS regions and connects it to the universities /polytechnics /colleges research departments, will be the day Nigeria's military might will arise.

Technology is the gift of SE/SS people
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by ElPhenomenal(m): 7:48am On Sep 21, 2014
They say the population size of a country determine its military strength,at these stage we should be producing our military equipment ourselves not beg beg beg all the time
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 21, 2014
arresa:

Unlike your lawless and corrupt country, the difference here is the fact that America put the woman in that picture and the other American service men involved on trial before sending them to jail. They all did jail time..

Leave ignorance and shallow thinking alone and find something better to do with your time..
Several American and NATO soldiers were involved in numerous atrocities

They did not all do time do time but I do not have time to do research for you. Only a few of those caught were punished and not always with custodial sentences.

A few points of interest though.

Firstly George W Bush was ultimately responsible was he charged? no. Obama thought it wise to legislate IMMUNITY for him and other high level politicians like Donald Rumsfeld whilst refusing to declassify crucial material.
Secondly the CIA officer Raymond Allen Davis did NOT do time for his numerous atrocities. There is plenty of evidence of assassinations by the CIA without due process
Why does America insist that their soldiers are granted immunity from foreign prosecution

Weare talking about a country that is so cynical as to launch a FAKE POLIO vaccination programme used to collect DNA in the search for Bin Laden thus putting thousands of lives at risk.
Nigeria is not heaven and we are not saints but we should not take lessons on ethics from Americans
Why did America engage in a practice of Extraordinary renditions in effect sending prisoners to countries where they knew they were going to be tortured. In effect Out sourcing torture contrary to international law

Pretty much all information that can be used to prosecute HIGH LEVEL Officials at the STATE DEPARTMENT and the NSA has been CLASSIFIED by the US government while Charles Tylor is languishing in jail and Kenyatta the Kenyan President faces prosecution.
What about the drone programme that kills thousands of civilians are those civilians not human?
Please do not talk about ignorance and shallow thinking to me address that remark very firmly to your mother and father at home.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by ojinuocheibi(m): 10:51am On Sep 21, 2014
Ymodulus: .
listen to yourself,
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by fxskye: 10:59am On Sep 21, 2014
davitogreat:

you do know american and british arms manufacturers are closely tied to their governments right? plus on top of that, there is no ban but that does not mean they have to accept any requests from the Nigerian government.

As you can see the Nigerian defence spokesperson said the western countries were dragging their feet and were using human rights and unreliability as excuses to not sell to the Nigerian government.

Damn it....nemesis is catching up with FG just d way Its always give us excuses for its inability to provide us PMS that make enter black market. So FG went for black market of arm deal.

God show FG more of your power.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by dvee2: 12:05pm On Sep 21, 2014
The usual talk, everybody is against this government, Aisha Sisse is against them,America is against them,Hillary Clinton is against them,Chimamanda Adichie is against them,MAdam obi brinbackourgirls is against them, Sanusi is against them,South African government is against them,Wole Soyinka is against them, If everyone is against u, look into the mirror
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Litmus: 5:02pm On Sep 21, 2014
Hmmm, looks like party political system may not be good for Nigeria at this stage of our development.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Riot5000: 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2014
IF ANY NIGERIAN COMPANY STARTS TO MANUFACTURE ARMS, THE GOVERNMENT WOULD SHUT IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY.
Nigerians just love foreign made products, but do not understand how these foreigners started and got good at what they do.
Take some cues from improvised Biafran home made Arms.
Yes, a BLACK MAN can make great stuff too, ONLY if the STUPIDITY of Continental mentality of consumption is squashed.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Ogbon400: 7:50pm On Sep 21, 2014
It makes sense that the US and its allies refuse to sell sophisticated weapons to the Nigerian military as their intelligence services are fully supporting the Boko-Haram death squads.

The Federal Government of Nigeria just like during the civil war in the 60s and early 70s must turn to Russia for game changing military hardware so that the western backed mercenaries known as Boko-Haram can be totally destroyed.
Nigerians who believe that the US is a friendly nation are extremely naïve as the US ruling elite view Nigeria as a foe that must be maintained in a permanent state of chaos.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by sweetgala(m): 10:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
datalossvictim1: Why can't Nigerians try to create their own weapons? What is the point of having universities that teach engineering and co in the country yet none of the graduates can boast of creating any lethal weapon. Is there something wrong with our black brain?

The government and armed forces need to create an enabling environment, DICON need to step up their game.
USA , UK ,Russia etc and all these other top military have military expenditures and research fundings that equal our national budgets.
We need to follow the SA's PPP model where private firms specialize and develop products for export and for sale to our NA.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by sweetgala(m): 10:29pm On Sep 21, 2014
Truckpusher: Please help and explain that to our folks here that has their mouth stuck to the asss of the West.
They'd rather believe that 'America say' than 'Nigerian Govt said'........annoying set of people.

Problem is the FG is not saying much, they need to take the thumb out each others arse.holes
GEJ fails terribly at diplomacy and the maintenance of our sovereignty. If he can not get $9 million dollars into neighbouring SA without getting caught and then providing a sub standard shameful excuse, when USA and Russia are forever shipping arms to rebels all over the world and not get caught pants down , we have a problem
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by sweetgala(m): 10:39pm On Sep 21, 2014
arresa: [img]http://beegeagle.files./2011/03/uscgc-chase-now-nigerian-owned1.jpg[/img]

That was free of charge..

Again, when was the last time China and Russia helped your military in anyway?

China have provided similar ships for free

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by bubbleforth: 9:52am On Sep 22, 2014
With all the professionalism of US and UK, when did Edward Snowden not run off their back with classified documents, or Merkel not snooped in on. There will always be loopholes but I guess the rate of the loophole is what these guys have in mind.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by buchistyle: 5:28pm On Sep 23, 2014
Why does America refuse to sell arms to Nigeria? Its not in their interest right now to do so. And the fact that they are actively blocking FG's efforts to procure arms from other countries points to very sinister intentions from the US.

Its just a heartbreaking pity that the various governments of this country except for those of Murtala Mohammad and Sani Abacha have been stooges to America. More heartbreaking is the fact that we have had nothing to show for it. We continually look upon US as a friendly nation while the reality is that to them we are just a means to an end.

I am not surprised at the double game afterall, for all their halloo ballooing of fighting terrorism they are still seriously considering supplying arms to groups in the middle east with a very warped understanding of the meaning of Jihad. America has lost a sense of direction, that moral commitment to right which was the foundation of their current greatness. Instead they have allowed their system to be hijacked by very immoral elements who wittingly and unwittingly are charting a course of destruction for her.

Their policies are no longer entirely their own what with the political and economic stranglehold of both Israel and Saudi Arabia respectively on their democratic system.

This new character of the US towards Nigeria should be correctly interpreted as the first signs of malice. Nigeria is a key factor in the interests of America and other major world players and now whether we like it or not we must play.

One of the possibilities America has always considered is military invasion of Nigeria as per the Niger Delta oil fields and with China's increasing presence in Africa the likelyhood of this increases proporionately. For those who think its impossible they would be surprised to know that America has been considering this option as early as the 70s during M. Mohammad's regime. This is well documented in declassified CIA documents.

While this danger has been there all these years and is growing more and more now, we Nigerians have been bickering and formenting hatred along religious and ethnic lines. Plus of course those matters we are always wanting to discuss in constitutional, national and soveriegn conferences. We are disunited and its all ok with Americas interests.

I dont know. Perhaps I am already sounding like a conspiracy theorist. But this is the view I have of things right now. Let me further shock you with my opinion that America wants Boko Haram to continue because that situation would continue to place Nigeria on the list of terrorist countries, a sufficient excuse for attack, with a few more tweaks here and there of course.

It helps US cause to have Boko Haram here because of the harm the sect has been doing to our remaining unity.

Meanwhile, look around you. We love America more than we love each other.
Re: Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 15, 2014
The major reason Americans refused to sell arms to Nigerians is simple....they are scared those arms would end up in the wrong hands(BOKOs)..just like what happened in Syria and Iraq(ISIS)...and when this happens,boko haram would become unstoppable...just like the ISIS..corruption is what we need to look into before purchasing arms..

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cameroon's Army: We Kill Them But They Keep On Coming. / Abia Government Extends Curfew In Aba / "Fresh PDP": PDP Splinter Group Emerges In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.