Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones (3252 Views)

Non-Academic Staff Lock Entrances To UNICAL, Flog CSO / Non-academic Students On The Rise In Nigerian Universities- NTA / First Class In The University: Is It Hard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 1:55pm On Sep 20, 2014
I used to wonder o, when you ask people what are their hobbies, reading is always included, when u ask them what kinda books they read they will start naming novels like romance novels etc. such people can read a bulky novel in two days but when it comes to reading their academic books, before they even finished d first page they are already dozing... imagine...
this thing is so common that I am curious

biko who knows the theory behind this

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by bulakos: 1:57pm On Sep 20, 2014
This is what we call readimatism of the brain
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by yorex2011: 2:05pm On Sep 20, 2014
Its about interest

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by NobleAky(m): 2:07pm On Sep 20, 2014
Academic books are full of abstract concepts and ideas while novels are realities or near realities captured in an imaginary sense.

Novels are full of suspense so the reader is curious to know more while academic books are boring and and never captivating- you only undertake the reading so as to boost your academic ego or pass your exams.

The wording of novels are very simple and straight to the point that permits an easy understanding while academic books are full of grammatical hyperbole all in a bid to make it sound academic (especially Nigerian professors) and understanding takes much more time than understanding novels

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Dygeasy(m): 2:10pm On Sep 20, 2014
Reading academic books has to do with reading, reading reading, assimilating, understanding, pouring out to ensure you aren't missing any point, reading, meditating. All of which makes reading a monotonous and boring task.

But in the case of novels, I don't think you need to read up to four times before you get it into your head that Steve kissed Kimberly and they ended up in bed till the following morning. Or that Harry Potter performed the summoning charm in the triwizard tournament. It's no brainer. Things like this tend to stick more easily.

Now tell me how I no go read and re-read the concept of half-life of an element or heisenberg's uncertainty principle before understanding. I can't readily relate to those things.

The flesh is weak..lol!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by hod898(m): 4:50pm On Sep 20, 2014
First of all Op, the topic should be 'most people'

Secondly, enter a good university to study an engineering or a medical course go de read novel, when you get a CPGA of 1.3, you will know that it is students below tertiary level that read novels instead of academic books.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by eleojo23: 6:37pm On Sep 20, 2014
Academic books require critical thinking and memorization unlike novels where you just try to get the general idea of the story and probably just note a few lines that interest you. Most people only read academic books for exams (people hate exams!) so they can't wait to get over the 'task'

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 11:40pm On Sep 20, 2014
NobleAky: Academic books are full of abstract concepts and ideas while novels are realities or near realities captured in an imaginary sense.

Novels are full of suspense so the reader is curious to know more while academic books are boring and and never captivating- you only undertake the reading so as to boost your academic ego or pass your exams.

The wording of novels are very simple and straight to the point that permits an easy understanding while academic books are full of grammatical hyperbole all in a bid to make it sound academic (especially Nigerian professors) and understanding takes much more time than understanding novels
true but what about courses like history dat is almost like reading novels
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 11:41pm On Sep 20, 2014
Dygeasy: Reading academic books has to do with reading, reading reading, assimilating, understanding, pouring out to ensure you aren't missing any point, reading, meditating. All of which makes reading a monotonous and boring task.

But in the case of novels, I don't think you need to read up to four times before you get it into your head that Steve kissed Kimberly and they ended up in bed till the following morning. Or that Harry Potter performed the summoning charm in the triwizard tournament. It's no brainer. Things like this tend to stick more easily.

Now tell me how I no go read and re-read the concept of half-life of an element or heisenberg's uncertainty principle before understanding. I can't readily relate to those things.

The flesh is weak..lol!
Lol, that's so true.
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 11:44pm On Sep 20, 2014
hod898: First of all Op, the topic should be 'most people'

Secondly, enter a good university to study an engineering or a medical course go de read novel, when you get a CPGA of 1.3, you will know that it is students below tertiary level that read novels instead of academic books.
so becos u are in a med school, u won't read anything entertaining again abi? u think school is all about academics?
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 20, 2014

" what are we saying , what is this one saying "
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Realtony76(m): 8:35am On Sep 21, 2014
WarRLaY: " what are we saying , what is this one saying "
Bro, if you do not have anything to say why not keep quiet ....
Personally, the only novel i attempted reading was 'mine boY' by peter abraham... I prefer using the word attempted because i didn't finished it... My point here is that not everyone prefers an entertaining book to an informative book.... and for the records it all boils down to orientation....
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 9:07am On Sep 21, 2014
I read , I love reading
Books , newspapers, Internet , you name it

But I enjoy newspapers the most
when I was younger
I used to steal newspapers @ my dad's office and take home with me at home or take them from his car and rush to the toilet to read them first ....

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AbuMikey(m): 10:48am On Sep 21, 2014

undecided
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Olsoo(m): 11:15am On Sep 21, 2014
Simple. To temporarily clear their worries,sorrows and boredom noni.
It depends sha.
Secondly,it's very easy to fall deep into it(be it novel,magazines,newspaper etc) unlike when you're reading those mundane textbooks,notes etc
Op,i think you should tell us the category you belong,stating reasons (if you also read non-academical books than the acedemical ones)
One more thing,apart from the entertaining aspect of the aforesaid "non-academical" books,if you read alot,you'ld agree with me that they are very informative,enlightening, educative and so on.
Bottom line: Do what you love and what makes you happy,and you'll have zero regrets,learn alot and live long.
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by spanzed(m): 1:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
What interest you matters...novels are meant fun and relaxation and students of nowadays are lazy including me..so we opt for relaxation and fun rather than jacking
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 3:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
Olsoo: Simple. To temporarily clear their worries,sorrows and boredom noni.
It depends sha.
Secondly,it's very easy to fall deep into it(be it novel,magazines,newspaper etc) unlike when you're reading those mundane textbooks,notes etc
Op,i think you should tell us the category you belong,stating reasons (if you also read non-academical books than the acedemical ones)
One more thing,apart from the entertaining aspect of the aforesaid "non-academical" books,if you read alot,you'ld agree with me that they are very informative,enlightening, educative and so on.
Bottom line: Do what you love and what makes you happy,and you'll have zero regrets,learn alot and live long.
it depends on which course I'm studying o, courses like history keeps me wide awake

you are right about your last sentence but pple hardly read inspirational books, they prefer romance novels historical romance and d likes, how many lessons will dat one teach
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Olsoo(m): 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
AfricanApple: it depends on which course I'm studying o, courses like history keeps me wide awake

you are right about your last sentence but pple hardly read inspirational books, they prefer romance novels historical romance and d likes, how many lessons will dat one teach
Alot! You don't judge a book by it's cover. I've met series of people who read romance novel for the purpose of 'improving' their sexual life. I've also seen someone who reads cuz he also wanna be a romance novel writer/author.
So you never can tell the reasons behind some people's action/decision by mere looking or imagining. You gotta find out. You also shouldn't judge or be quick to conclude,you advise.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing the fact that some people just don't have genuine reason(s) for reading things that is of no/little benefit to them in terms of acquiring useful knowledge. But who am i to judge. Na dia biz be dat. tongue
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:07pm On Oct 04, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
I read , I love reading
Books , newspapers, Internet , you name it

But I enjoy newspapers the most
when I was younger
I used to steal newspapers @ my dad's office and take home with me at home or take them from his car and rush to the toilet to read them first ....

I remember breaking into my grandads bedroom by picking his lock only to steal newspapers and run to my room to read.

I hate fiction, especially romance novels with passion. They are a waist of time for me I prefer auto biographies. Or non fiction... also I love educational books that can empower me with knowledge to get things done or expose me to new concepts and ideas.

Everyone is indeed different ...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 8:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

I remember breaking into my grandads bedroom by picking his lock only to steal newspapers and run to my room to read.

I hate fiction, especially romance novels with passion. They are a waist of time for me I prefer auto biographies. Or non fiction... also I love educational books that can empower me with knowledge to get things done or expose me to new concepts and ideas.

can you pen down some of those motivational books you've been reading, please...

would love to get them too....

Thanks
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Matthewbriggs(m): 2:58pm On Oct 05, 2014
herald9:

can you pen down some of those motivational books you've been reading, please...

would love to get them too....

Thanks

I barely read motivational books ... I read mostly educational books that exposes me to a new concept, idea and way of seeing the world. I prefer to read opinion pieces, research findings, business reviews etc.

I love harvard business reviews so much. I recently just finished a book called "inside apple " that details how apple the consumer electronics company function internally, how they innovate and come up with new products... currently reading.
Seducing the Subconscious- The Psychology of Emotional Influence in Advertising by Robert Heath.

I don't read books for entertainment, I read because I know a particular concept hidden in a book can change my life for ever. I therefore go for books that may likely contain these concepts.
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 1:18am On Oct 06, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

why d hate for fiction, at least they good for entertainment just like watching film, u can't be serious all the time

I love non-fictions and autobiographies too
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:25am On Oct 06, 2014
AfricanApple:
why d hate for fiction, at least they good for entertainment just like watching film, u can't be serious all the time

I love non-fictions and autobiographies too

I would rather watch a movie than read fiction... Time is very precious especial time I allocate to read... Reading something that is not real, a product of someones imagination is not an attractive prospect for me. I would rather spend that time reading something that is concrete and based on reality.

I hardly read for entertainment value but for educational value. I just think we are all wired differently some like fiction some don't.
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 9:05am On Oct 06, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

I would rather watch a movie than read fiction... Time is very precious especial time I allocate to read... Reading something that is not real, a product of someones imagination is not an attractive prospect for me. I would rather spend that time reading something that is concrete and based on reality.

I hardly read for entertainment value but for educational value. I just think we are all wired differently some like fiction some don't.
films are also not real.

anyways I do get where u coming from, like u said, to each his own.
for me fictions are worth reading atimes
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:45am On Oct 06, 2014
AfricanApple:
films are also not real.

anyways I do get where u coming from, like u said, to each his own.
for me fictions are worth reading atimes

Yes movies are not real just like fiction but the reason I would rather watch them is not just because I make them. But because some effort was made to convert them into a form more closer to reality.

Very true some fictions are worth reading. I read more fiction while growing up but over time I out grew them because they were not giving me the knowledge I needed to get things done.
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 3:27pm On Oct 06, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

I barely read motivational books ... I read mostly educational books that exposes me to a new concept, idea and way of seeing the world. I prefer to read opinion pieces, research findings, business reviews etc.

I love harvard business reviews so much. I recently just finished a book called "inside apple " that details how apple the consumer electronics company function internally, how they innovate and come up with new products... currently reading.
Seducing the Subconscious- The Psychology of Emotional Influence in Advertising by Robert Heath.

I don't read books for entertainment, I read because I know a particular concept hidden in a book can change my life for ever. I therefore go for books that may likely contain these concepts.

That's cool...but it seems your readings centres on business and advertising...

Well...am not much of a business type ,so i think these kind of books may just crack me up as I wasn't a fan of economics back in the days...

Owing to your writing prowess... I was wondering what kind of books you read that helps you give a clear picture of what's going on in your mind...
What makes your epistles increasingly interesting with each paragraphs
What helps sharpens your perspective...
What aids you in establishing your ideology etc

Have been reading fictions all my life...I just felt like switching to another aspect of literature...

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 3:38pm On Oct 07, 2014
herald9:

Well...am not much of a business type ,so i think these kind of books may just crack me up as I wasn't a fan of economics back in the days...

Owing to your writing prowess... I was wondering what kind of books you read that helps you give a clear picture of what's going on in your mind...

Have been reading fictions all my life...I just felt like switching to another aspect of literature...
u are making a great decision by doing that.
as much as I like fictions I can never think about them when I have a problem in life and needs to solve it cos most often than not, fictions don't say reality in d true sense of d word.
if u need books to help sharpen your knowledge, meet xcapist.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
herald9:

I am not limited in the kind of books I read. Moreover the books I read is influenced by my reading strategy.

Which comes from the understanding that, their are so many books on earth containing precious knowledge but as humans we have limited time to consume them, we can't read all the books in the world.

The question is how do I make the best out of the limited time. So I desinged a reading strategy that is focused on my knowledge needs at the moment.

I start by asking my self what knowledge or information is currently holding me back at the moment to execute on a particular task or move to the next level in life. Then I go after books that fill that gap.

For example I recently started my own advertising/multimedia outfit a while back. I felt I needed to understand the art of persuation getting clients to connect with me and believe in my ability to deliver.

I grabed a couple of books in that direction and the fact today is I now find it easy to influence people i.e persuade them without them knowing. I give better presentations and my proposal writing skills have improved with a healthy success rate.
Thanks to some Harvard review books

Now due to this strategy fiction barely comes into the equation.

Inbtwn...
Thanks for the complement man. Moreover I think I am still rusty when it comes to writing given that I started writing recently.

But in answer to your question.

What shaperns my perspective is mainly because I listen more that I talk. I read more that I write. I don't mean this in a cliche way.

I actual enjoy trying to understand other peoples opinion and their point of view as I the screen them against my value system and pick out the essence of their message. I listen to both side of the argument with an open mind. I look at how they build thier arguments and how the manner the use in passing their message across. I enjoy learning.

As cliche it might sound The more you read the better your write it is very simple.

In regards to what makes my articles increasingly interesting with each paragraph.

The truth is I actually design it that way. I take a very conscious effort to building a narrative that sucks the readers in. I see every epistle as story, as journey with a destination. So I focus on how do I present my message in a manner that makes the journey interesting, leaving my readers looking forward to the next bus top in that journey.

How I do this exactly is a story for another time. smiley

#MathewBriggs

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 8:27am On Oct 08, 2014
AfricanApple:
u are making a great decision by doing that.
as much as I like fictions I can never think about them when I have a problem in life and needs to solve it cos most often than not, fictions don't say reality in d true sense of d word.
if u need books to help sharpen your knowledge, meet xcapist.

Thanks much ma Lady

It's time we get real...
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 8:30am On Oct 08, 2014
@MatthewBriggs that was breathtaking....

We are eagerly waiting for the part twocheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 08, 2014
herald9:

Thanks much ma Lady

It's time we get real...

Xcapist reporting for duty sir yes sir!! Shall we begin?
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 10:47am On Oct 08, 2014
Xcapist:

Xcapist reporting for duty sir yes sir!! Shall we begin?
Lemme grab ma pen and jotter sur' cheesy

Oh yea am on......

#Tapping pen on d desk restlessly

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is What A Yorùbá Lesson Note Look Like / This Is Crazy So People Sleeps Here / COVID-19: FG Gives Update On Imposing Fresh Lockdown All Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.