Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! (40352 Views)

A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be / Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. / A Thread For Ladies Who Want To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 3:02pm On Sep 20, 2014
By "Everything Polygamy" i mean if you are a polygamist, intending polygamist, wife in a polygamous marriage and but not limited to offsprings of polygamous homes.

come in and lets share ideas and experiences, am a product of polygamous home and know a little having also married into one too.

Lets educate ourselves.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by egopersonified(f): 3:11pm On Sep 20, 2014
Frying pan to fire?

19 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by effisyman: 3:35pm On Sep 20, 2014
O ya nw, let's go there..
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Morotov1(m): 7:00pm On Sep 20, 2014
How do you enjoy sexx.xx knowing Oga is doing it with other wives and also that Ebola and HIV is around?

20 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by gidjah(m): 7:28pm On Sep 20, 2014
I HAVE EVERYTHING about polygamy,came from a poly home and part of what i am going tru today ,happens to be as a product of poly.every member of the home fights to ensure only their wards succeed,even to d undoing Of Every One In D Family

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by hglmkope(f): 12:08pm On Sep 21, 2014
I am from a polygamous family but I have vowed and prayed that by the Grace of God I will not find myself in that situation in Jesus name. I am not just praying it, i am working towards it and I know that God will grant me the desires of my heart.

My mom and step mother had been staying and eating together under the same roof for almost 25 yrs now and in fact most people envy our type of polygamous home because we all live together in peace. I will give credit to my dad for that. He tries as much as possible to treat every of his children equally without giving much preference to either of his wives.
As a child, i detested the whole polygamy stuff and I remembered when I was 7 seven years, I asked my mom why she married my dad (my mum is the 2nd wife and she did not know until she was pregnant). I also told her that she could have walked away with her first child(my sister) when she knew.

During the early years of my life, i hated everything about my family but as I grew, i realised that this is the one thing that I can not change about my life. Ever since then, I love and treat every one with great admiration and respect.

Despite the fact that my family seems to live together in peace, I cannot deny that there were times where envying and strife set in especially when one child excel more than the other.
Take for instance, there was a time when myself and my eldest step brother went to write post UME in one University, I gained admission but he did not. I felt the friction between us during that time. We used to be very close but all of a sudden he was cold to me. I understood then and all I did was just to pray ceaselessly that God should grant him the desires of his heart and God did that just that.

Based on this experience and many others that I cannot share here, I have decided that polygamy is not an option for me. Conflicts among children with the same parents is more than enough. I do not want to compound issues for my unborn children.

138 Likes 9 Shares

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Pavore9: 2:12pm On Sep 21, 2014
gidjah: I HAVE EVERYTHING about polygamy,came from a poly home and part of what i am going tru today ,happens to be as a product of poly.every member of the home fights to ensure only their wards succeed,even to d undoing Of Every One In D Family
lt is only one who comes from such setting that knows what it is really like. Though am from a monogamous family, i detest anything polygamous having had friends from such setting, remembering one whose father refused to pay for his WAEC fees because his mum was a despised wife but his step-sister who was also our set had her fees paid promptly. You can imagine the trauma he went through though l thank God that today he is married and a surgeon in Canada. After the father died in 2011, he re-located his mum to Canada.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by LaRoyalHighness(f): 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
My dear father married 2 wives and i pity him today as he laments against polygamy. I can never be a part of that poo ever again in my life.

11 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2014
Some people seems to be doing pretty well in polygamy,I am curious to know how they feel each time the husband go to a function with the other woman or go to bed with her.

The man needs to be very fair and a good judge of character.

Please shed more lights,will be appreciated.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 9:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
edwife: Some people seems to be doing pretty well in polygamy,I am curious to know how they feel each time the husband go to a function with the other woman or go to bed with her.

The man needs to be very fair and a good judge of character.

Please share more lights,will be appreciated.

I remember there was a lady who opened a thread to share her experiences as a wife in a polygamous marriage but she was insulted and abused on this section. It was one of the more disgraceful threads in this section. I certainly do not want to see any woman go through that again.

Some people are too close-minded and see life through their own prism alone.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 21, 2014
tbaba1234:

I remember there was a lady who opened a thread to share her experiences as a wife in a polygamous marriage but she was insulted and abused on this section. It was one of the more disgraceful threads in this section. I certainly do not want to see any woman go through that again.

Some people are too close-minded and see life through their own prism alone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by touchmeder: 10:10am On Sep 22, 2014
@tbaba I remember that thread. Good thing another opportunity has come again. Lol I am not from a polygamous home and have no intention in getting in 2 one. However I am curious about the lifestyle so m following this thread. To all practitioners, I hope u would be bold enuf 2 answer reasonable questions on dis thread.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 12:29pm On Sep 22, 2014
Sincere apologies for coming back late, weekend is usually hectic for me.

Like I wrote in the intro, I know little about polygamy implies I will be writing strictly from my own experience.

Thus, whatever I write is not sacrosanct as it may not suit or apply in your case. I will also try to be as objective as the human I can be.

Let me start by saying my mum happens to be the third wife, she lost her first husband to a car accident and already had two sons before marrying dad. She later had three girls for my dad and I happen to be the last of the three and the entire family.

In all, my dad had thirteen children alive today of a total of eigtheen. All of are adults now, married and doing fine.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
The only time polygamy can be managed is if the wives stay in separate places wiv their children. Each wife may not necessarily no what is happening to the next and of course if the man is extremely rich. What I just don't understand about polygamy is that is it planned from the beginning between both partners? Why do some women knowingly enter a polygamous home? How does the first wife truly feel? If u marry a muslim, my take is that u should get ready for such anyway but can there truly be peace even if the wives are in separate places. undecided

So many questions . I know of a lady who is a third wife . Used to see her in the gym then. She told me that women who are emotional like her would find it easy in a polygamous setting. Didn't understand why she would say that. She said she knows all her husband's concubines and she is at peace wiv it. To her it's better than being the only wife and knowing that your husband is cheating outside thereby giving u heartache. She said after all, what's d difference between a cheating husband and a polygamyst. cheesy.

Well, lipsrsealed

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 12:41pm On Sep 22, 2014
Growing up was much easier for me probably cos am the last born, and every other children are already grown ups and mature. So, I was pampered to a fault.

To make these easier for me I will like to list out areas which I will like to touch so as not to forget.

A. My Father's role in polygamous home.
B. Relationship between the wives.
C. What my mother tell us about other wifes/kids when alone.
D. Bickering among the children.
E. What my father always tell us about his wives and us.
F. Life after the Man of the house died.
G. Life after mum's death.
H. How we children get along now.
I. My own marriage.

Seriously, I hope not to bore you but just want to share experience, hence I may deviate from the list as my brain remembers somethings.

Please, no intention to criticize/promote polygamy. Constructive contribution is always welcome.

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
Following kiss
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bukatyne(f): 12:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
sandijey: The only time polygamy can be managed is if the wives stay in separate places wiv their children. Each wife may not necessarily no what is happening to the next and of course if the man is extremely rich. What I just don't understand about polygamy is that is it planned from the beginning between both partners? Why do some women knowingly enter a polygamous home? How does the first wife truly feel? If u marry a muslim, my take is that u should get ready for such anyway but can there truly be peace even if the wives are in separate places. undecided

So many questions . I know of a lady who is a third wife . Used to see her in the gym then. She told me that women who are emotional like her would find it easy in a polygamous setting. Didn't understand why she would say that. She said she knows all her husband's concubines and she is at peace wiv it. To her it's better than being the only wife and knowing that your husband is cheating outside thereby giving u heartache. She said after all, what's d difference between a cheating husband and a polygamyst. cheesy.

Well, lipsrsealed

None really

Most 2nd to infinito wives were hubby's ex-gf's

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 1:06pm On Sep 22, 2014
I guess my father knew he would be marrying more than one woman from the onset, so he had it planned and I also think God accepted his plan.

Though he didn't know hw many children he would have at the begining and the fact that his own father never married more than one woman and with just 4 children never made anyone thought of him to become a polygamist.

Another thing is that he happens to be a leading figure in church, an elder everybody loves a respect. He alos taugth the children the way of the lord.

He will call his wives everynow and then and remind them of the need to be united and not allow small issues result to quarrels even though it did.
I remember he ones told them that they should forget about fighting cos of him since the deed as been done, and to focus on noturing their children.

He will ensure his role as the man is played to the latter by providing basic needs..foods,cloth and shelter for all of his family. He also make sure all the wife wore same type of clothing during festivities and a different one for all the children too.

He also told the wifes not to ever involve the children in anyform of arguement between them. He actually did his best to unite the wives but trust us women...they surely raised the roof when necessary.

One thing he also did was mandating the wives to ensure their children get his/her inheritance before he dies.

He would say choose whatever form of inheritance for your kids now, his own list is either education or trade. All the children have a minimum of OND due to these and I think it helped cos none of us is dependent on the other.

14 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by pickabeau1: 1:11pm On Sep 22, 2014
@GodsDivinefavor

this thread is a fail ab initio as it dwells on a very unpopular, nay acerbic topic

It is better you open it as a diary or any other section aside this as the bile you will experience is better imagined

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 1:16pm On Sep 22, 2014
pickabeau1: @GodsDivinefavor

this thread is a fail ab initio as it dwells on a very unpopular, nay acerbic topic

It is better you open it as a diary or any other section aside this as the bile you will experience is better imagined

Thanks.
Whatever anybody says cannot change anything.

Its a free world.

25 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by pickabeau1: 1:17pm On Sep 22, 2014
GodsDivinefavor:

Thanks.
Whatever anybody says cannot change anything.

Its a free world.

No wahala... enjoy
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 1:24pm On Sep 22, 2014
You see polygamy is only accepted by men, no woman ever prays for it.

Even as a child in a polygamous home, it was hell. You wish you can change your family but alas.

Even when hubby impregnates another woman, and all the family intervention things followed...it took my mum to make me return to that same house.

But, we only learn in life when we come face to face with challenges.

I will be back.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bukatyne(f): 1:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
GodsDivinefavor: You see polygamy is only accepted by men, no woman ever prays for it.

Even as a child in a polygamous home, it was hell. You wish you can change your family but alas.

Even when hubby impregnates another woman, and all the family intervention things followed...it took my mum to make me return to that same house.

But, we only learn in life when we come face to face with challenges.

I will be back.

How did your father marry his polygamous lifestyle with his religion (Christianity)?

The Bible frowns against it and been the husband of one wife is a mandatory pre-requisite for becoming an elder

8 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bellong: 1:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
My dad had six wives with unknown number of concubines.

I do not have a single good story to share about polygamous home.

cry cry cry cry cry cry

20 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 22, 2014
bukatyne:

None really

Most 2nd to infinito wives were hubby's ex-gf's

Yes o that's true. Hmmm
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 22, 2014
It will be nice if men involved polygamy families can share their experiences. I've never seen one but I know both my paternal and maternal granddads were polygamists - legends right there. Apparently, my paternal grandad had about 10 wives and tons of concubines. And my maternal grandad had three wives.

I know my parents abhor everything polygamy, based on certain things they went through, and how crude the Nigerian society might have been when they were growing up. And when you consider the fact that dealing with one wife (especially a black woman) in this era is more or less a very difficult task - how are folks able to cope with more than one? The constant nagging, incessant fights, competition between/among the wives and children, how demanding it'll be to please all the parties involved, the number of kids involved, lack of space and privacy etc..

I somewhat find it fascinating - not something I'll wish on my enemy - but it's always interesting to learn about different lifestyles and cultures.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by MARKone(m): 2:25pm On Sep 22, 2014
Every sane person should pray against polygamy or anything that leads to polygamy.

I would rather appreciate, endure and tolerate the available than having strings of wives and uncountable number of children.

8 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 3:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
bukatyne:

How did your father marry his polygamous lifestyle with his religion (Christianity)?

The Bible frowns against it and been the husband of one wife is a mandatory pre-requisite for becoming an elder

In all honesty, I don't how he was able to manage that side of the story.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 4:30pm On Sep 22, 2014
#Following# smiley

I will also like to implore my fellow nairalanders,if you think you are not comfortable with the subject of discussion,please don't open the thread or waka pass.

We need to learn to tolerate each other and know that everybody's life is and will be different from yours,don't make it all about you.

Thanks.

godsdivinefavor please go on.

9 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by freecocoa(f): 4:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
*spreads camp bed*

My dad is from a polygamous home, grandpa married about 10 wives(i know 2 besides my grandma), my grandma was the no 9, hearing from my dad, aunts and uncles, it wasn't easy, till now, there's no unity amongst them, they don't even know where some of their step siblings are.

I don't believe anything good can come out of polygamy.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

8-Month Pregnant Woman Dies One Month After Her Wedding (pics) / Whose Church Is The Family Church?? / Please Save A Sister's Life.... Story Verified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.