Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,639 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? (24162 Views)

My Question On 'heaven Helps Those Who Help Themselves' / Problems With Biblical Inerrancy / Heaven Help Those Who Help Themselves Is Not A Biblical Word. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Udoabasi(m): 3:09pm On Sep 20, 2014
I have tried on my own to find out whether there is any bible portion that supports the expression, "God helps those who help themselves". What I've discovered however is that the bible seems to teach the opposite. Jesus Christ did not come for those who can help themselve but for those who are helpless. That is why the bible teaches total dependence on, and acceptance of the will of God. Suprisingly, many christians, even the clergy, use this expression as if it was spoken by Christ himself. Others use it to justify themselves when they go contrary to the tenets of christianity. It is for this reason that I want to know, perhaps, there may be a verse in the bible that such expression could be found. Anyone who knows of such should please post it. Thanks.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Orunto: 3:17pm On Sep 20, 2014
Yes! It is in the Book of Proverbs. It simply means WORK AND PRAY!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Udoabasi(m): 3:25pm On Sep 20, 2014
Orunto: Yes! It is in the Book of Proverbs. It simply means WORK AND PRAY!
Please can you point out the chapter and verse.

7 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Tallesty1(m): 3:30pm On Sep 20, 2014
It is not in the bible but some verses support it. Eg, Deuteronomy 28:12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none.

We know that God is the helper of the helpless but you gotta try your own best. As a specific example, if you are in need of a job, ask the Lord to help you find a job - but then be active in actually looking for a job. You grab?

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by drestoneokuta(m): 3:48pm On Sep 20, 2014
It is NOT biblical, I also heard it in one of pastor Chris O preaching that it is not in the bible.

5 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 20, 2014
the sad truth in modern christianity is that bible doesn't really mean what it says anymore, it now always means what the reader thinks. that is why people give quotations and twist the explanation to suit their own ideology.

16 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by nora544: 4:30pm On Sep 20, 2014
Scyllapatron: the sad truth in modern christianity is that bible doesn't really mean what it says anymore, it now always means what the reader thinks. that is why people give quotations and twist the explanation to suit their own ideology.

The pentecost pastors don't like this because it will not fill their pockets.

I learn since i was a child that when I learn God will help me, I learn that when I have no Job God will help me when he sees that I work on this.
The same is when you work hard God will help you.

That is why pentecostal christainity is a herensy gospel because they like to twist the gospel what is good to fill their pockets and make the pastors rich.

Ora et labora (latin) this means pray and work

8 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 20, 2014
Your pastor simply borrow from your sister faith Islam or the greek philosopher.
It is never in the bible. But, it's like p.i.m.p my ride verse
The quote God helps those who help themselves is found in the Quran
Verily never will God change the condition of a people until they change it themselves (13:11)
heaven ne’er helps the men who will not act. (Sophocle, Greek philosopher)

3 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Udoabasi(m): 2:11pm On Sep 21, 2014
Tallesty1: It is not in the bible but some verses support it...
We know that God is the helper of the helpless but you gotta try your own best. As a specific example, if you are in need of a job, ask the Lord to help you find a job - but then be active in actually looking for a job. You grab?
I've got your points. But don't you think you need God's grace so as to be able to work?

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by justi4jesu(f): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
Sure thing smiley

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by wellmax(m): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
No its not.
Bible says "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

True, faith without work is dead, but God doesn't help those who try Ŧo cut corners.
While we go about our work, God demands total dependance on Him.
He said, "...for without me, ye can do nothing"

17 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by stevolinkon40: 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
Make I book space then think before I comment

****brain refuse to boot...

Answer to question. .NO IDEA

4 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by datguru: 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
No

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Tonniey(m): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
Happy sunday everyone

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by searay(m): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
MODIFIED:
The phrase is often mistaken as scriptural, but it appears nowhere in the Bible. Some Christians have criticized the expression as being contrary to the Bible's message of God's grace. A variant of the phrase, however, can be found in the Quran (13:11).
SAUCE

Isaiah 25:4declares, "For You have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat..." Romans 5:6tells us, "For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly."
In terms of salvation, we are all utterly helpless. We are all infected by sin (Romans 3:23), and condemned as a result of that sin (Romans 6:23). Nothing we can do on our own can remedy this situation (Isaiah 64:6). Thankfully, God is the helper of the helpless. While we were still sinners, Jesus died for us (Romans 5:cool. Jesus paid the penalty that we were incapable of paying (2 Corinthians 5:21). God provided the "help" that we need precisely because we could not help ourselves.
Apart from salvation, there is perhaps a way that the concept "God helps those who help themselves" is correct. As an example, if you asked me to help you move a piece of furniture, but then just watched me as I moved the furniture for you, I was not actually helping you. I would be doing the work for you. Many Christians fall into the trap of inactivity. Many Christians ask God for help, but then expect God to do everything Himself. They excuse this by pointing to the fact that God will provide according to His will and in His timing. However, this is not a reason for inactivity. As a specific example, if you are in need of a job, ask the Lord to help you find a job - but then be active in actually looking for a job. While it is in His power to do so, it is highly unlikely that God will cause employers to come looking for you!

One can look at "this quote" through the Eyes of faith. Faith without work is dead, meaning if you don't start something, nobody will assist it.

9 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by kaka22(m): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
Faith without work is dead (james 2:14-26)... This means heaven helps those who help themselves. If you have faith that you will be a millionaire next year, you must work towards it.

Difference between rich man and poor man
A rich man will go to church and pray SILENTLY like this... 'Father, please the project that I've invested 50 million naira, let it succeed in Jesus name'.

A poor man will go to church and pray LOUDLY like this... 'Almighty God, I want to be a millionaire. Father, turn me into a millionaire'. He will pray like this without working towards it cheesy. He is expecting magic to take place.

#checks time# 3pm don nack. Let me run to football viewing centre to see how chelsea go beat man city wink

15 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by joedejana(m): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
Na the thing my mama dey tell me when we wan start exams be that ooo lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin

2 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by datbay(m): 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
Its not biblical

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by PasD(m): 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
Picture ofGod helpin or idonbelivit

2 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by justi4jesu(f): 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
kaka22: .

undecided

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
Is a tool use by the devil to deceive people about sin.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by kingzjay(m): 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
Akpaniko!

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by InwehAkpevwe(m): 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
NO

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by justi4jesu(f): 2:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
searay: .

undecided
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by CharlieMaria(m): 2:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
Must every thing be in the bible? Why is it that some folks don't use their brain? Where is fufu in the bible? Where is brush your mouth in the bible? No brush naa because it is not in the bible. Even the bible does not have the word bible in it

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by ayusco85(m): 2:48pm On Sep 21, 2014
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by drestoneokuta(m): 2:48pm On Sep 21, 2014
PasD: Picture ofGod helpin or idonbelivit
Picture of you coming out of a woman or I don't believe u were born undecided

6 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 21, 2014
God helps those that CANNOT help themselves....if they can help themselves they wouldn't need God Almighty
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by kennyonthrone(m): 2:50pm On Sep 21, 2014
U dnt xpect mk bible tel u everytin....if u dnt work u dnt xpect manna 2 fall 4rm heaven so u eat .so weda biblical or not heaven help dose ho help demselvez period!
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by drestoneokuta(m): 2:52pm On Sep 21, 2014
CharlieMaria: Even the bible does not have the word bible in it
Yes it does, it was referred to as "the scripture" in the times of old, they were inform of scrolls, Jesus christ even read from it cool

2 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by xthwonder(m): 2:52pm On Sep 21, 2014
Udoabasi: Please can you point out the chapter and verse.
Bros e nor dey. Nor mind that guy. If u can help ur self, u don't need God!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Many Sons Did Abraham Have? / Joshua Iginla Gives N5Million To Acid Bathe (Photos) / Seven Things To Expect In A Real Godly Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.