Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? (24189 Views)

My Question On 'heaven Helps Those Who Help Themselves' / Problems With Biblical Inerrancy / Heaven Help Those Who Help Themselves Is Not A Biblical Word. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by gatiano(m): 2:53pm On Sep 21, 2014
does it need to be in the bible before one help himself? GOD has made the land fertile, provided rain and the sun even the seeds. should he come and farm for us again? and cook our food? He said don't eat pork, until and except there is nothing left to sustain your life, yet in the midst of plenty, we love eating the pork meat and related meat. and when we fall sick, we say GOD knows about it, yes He does know about it but He is not responsible for one's illness. Truely GOD helps those that help themselves.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by LexNuel(m): 2:53pm On Sep 21, 2014
Its not biblical buh logical...we all av a part to play in everytfin dat happens to us...if its all divine den we can't xplain it, dat makes it a fluke, and if u cnt xplain it den u cnt sustain it smiley
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Mbediogu(m): 2:56pm On Sep 21, 2014
Udoabasi: I have tried on my own to find out whether there is any bible portion that supports the expression, "God helps those who help themselves". What I've discovered however is that the bible seems to teach the opposite. Jesus Christ did not come for those who can help themselve but for those who are helpless. That is why the bible teaches total dependence on, and acceptance of the will of God. Suprisingly, many christians, even the clergy, use this expression as if it was spoken by Christ himself. Others use it to justify themselves when they go contrary to the tenets of christianity. It is for this reason that I want to know, perhaps, there may be a verse in the bible that such expression could be found. Anyone who knows of such should please post it. Thanks.

It is implied in many places. St Paul tells us that faith without work is dead. There is also the parable of the two servant, narrated by Christ Himself.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 21, 2014
You must help yourself in a legitimate way!
Tallesty1: It is not in the bible but some verses support it. Eg, Deuteronomy 28:12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none.

We know that God is the helper of the helpless but you gotta try your own best. As a specific example, if you are in need of a job, ask the Lord to help you find a job - but then be active in actually looking for a job. You grab?
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by mega13(m): 3:01pm On Sep 21, 2014
CharlieMaria: Must every thing be in the bible? Why is it that some folks don't use their brain? Where is fufu in the bible? Where is brush your mouth in the bible? No brush naa because it is not in the bible. Even the bible does not have the word bible in it
Eeeehhhh some guys are funny here so what is your opine in this issue?; tell us yes or no
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by charlsecy(m): 3:01pm On Sep 21, 2014
drestoneokuta: It is NOT biblical, I also heard it in one of pastor Chris O preaching that it is not in the bible.
It is not in the Bible, but it is NOT anti-Bible; it is Bible-based.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 21, 2014
xthwonder:
Bros e nor dey. Nor mind that guy. If u can help ur self, u don't need God!

Exactly!......Psalm 121:1-2
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by chezholy(m): 3:09pm On Sep 21, 2014
Thats not in the bible, what I know that is in the bible is
Proverbs 17:8 Living Bible (TLB)
A bribe works like magic. Whoever uses it will prosper!
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 21, 2014
no its not. its just a selfish interpretation for justification for any wrong done/about to be done.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by biafran1stson(m): 3:14pm On Sep 21, 2014
That statement is not in anywhere found in d Bible bt there are Bibles passages that supports it like Faith without work is dead james2 :14-17.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by iffedayur(m): 3:17pm On Sep 21, 2014
The scripture neva said dat.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Danhumprey: 3:18pm On Sep 21, 2014
nora544:

The pentecost pastors don't like this because it will not fill their pockets.

I learn since i was a child that when I learn God will help me, I learn that when I have no Job God will help me when he sees that I work on this.
The same is when you work hard God will help you.

That is why pentecostal christainity is a herensy gospel because they like to twist the gospel what is good to fill their pockets and make the pastors rich.

Ora et labora (latin) this means pray and work

I noticed you tend to attack Pentecostal christianity/pastors. What's the matter with you? Do you have any grouse with a Pentecostal pastor? Seems you are a die-hard Catholics.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by vitusal(m): 3:18pm On Sep 21, 2014
No not at all. the wright expression is. God helps those who know there God
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by nora544: 3:23pm On Sep 21, 2014
Danhumprey: I noticed you tend to attack Pentecostal christianity/pastors. What's the matter with you? Do you have any grouse with a Pentecostal pastor? Seems you are a die-hard Catholics.

I am not a die-hard catholic but I hate pastors who twist the gospel and who sell the gospel and that is what most of this nigerian pastors make they sell all that they can get money.

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Danhumprey: 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
nora544:

I am not a die-hard catholic but I hate pastors who twist the gospel and who sell the gospel and that is what most of this nigerian pastors make they sell all that they can get money.
And what do you say of Catholics? Are they better?
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by laplace12(m): 3:29pm On Sep 21, 2014
Its not Biblical.

God actually helps those who can't help themselves
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Koolking(m): 3:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
The phrase was coined by Benjamin Franklin. He was one of the founding Fathers of America. Infact, some Historians refer him as First America.

You can never find the phrase in the bible. The bible in other, emphasizes on work and prayer as elements for reward, hence the phrase, giveth not food to a lazy man.

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 21, 2014
Yes, it is biblical... in the book of Nicodemus 5:13
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Vikky014(f): 3:35pm On Sep 21, 2014
nora544:

The pentecost pastors don't like this because it will not fill their pockets.

I learn since i was a child that when I learn God will help me, I learn that when I have no Job God will help me when he sees that I work on this.
The same is when you work hard God will help you.

That is why pentecostal christainity is a herensy gospel because they like to twist the gospel what is good to fill their pockets and make the pastors rich.

Ora et labora (latin) this means pray and work

i doubt u know d meaning of pentecostal christainity
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Clone2020(m): 3:35pm On Sep 21, 2014
Trust me if u work just 10% harder than u normally do, u will see result in anything u do
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Ochek: 3:36pm On Sep 21, 2014
nora544:

Why don't you just face your own personal life. Look dear, salvation is a personal thing. Hate them or not, the end justifies the means.
Strive to obtain your own salvation and let God judge fake.

Meanwhile, how in your own way, you're doing your own quoter of depopulating he'll and populating heaven? Cos thatz what matters most after your salvation.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 21, 2014
doesn't exist anywhere in the bible. Like one christ embassy student pastor said one time in school; IT'S FROM THE GATES OF HELL!!!! Lol cheesy Then the dude goes on and talks about how the holy spirit will give strenght to those who don't have it grin
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 21, 2014
That's a foolish statement sometimes heaven handicaps you. Anyway lately I have come to realize that God is a wicked God.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by redsun(m): 3:39pm On Sep 21, 2014
The notion of god itself is an act of man. Man created everything,including our means of communication right,therefore he couldn't have existed without his own efforts.

The weak fall on the way side,while the fittest survives and pass on their superior and survivable genes.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Elxandre(m): 3:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
I want to imagine the OP is a troll.
I can't understand why anyone will think he doesn't need to help himself. Do you just write an exam without reading and expect to pass without helping yourself by reading?

Are you sure you are okay

2 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
Orunto: Yes! It is in the Book of Proverbs. It simply means WORK AND PRAY!

Na egyptian bible u dey use? E no dey bible abeg.

If u can help yourself, why do you need God's help then

God would only help those who can't help themselves but would rather look up to him for all d help they need

1 Like

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Abba999(f): 3:48pm On Sep 21, 2014
CharlieMaria: Must every thing be in the bible? Why is it that some folks don't use their brain? Where is fufu in the bible? Where is brush your mouth in the bible? No brush naa because it is not in the bible. Even the bible does not have the word bible in it

You are the wise one here!

Others na mumu in the highest order grin cheesy grin
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by emmykk(m): 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2014
Biblical! Most people that question if certain things are biblical are hypocrite.

The book of revelation was added to other books 95 years later after other books are ready.other books especially the new testament was not written in a day.

So early christains were not having the bible as it stand now.so they cannot be quering things if they are biblical or not.

So most of the things paul wrote which we now quote, must not have been available for people of that time in bible form.
Nutshell the human race is older than the bible and we should not expect the bible to list all good things and bad things before it can be accepted as right or wrong.the human conscience can judge that.

For if heaven help those who help them self is right or not to be accepted.
i give you some typical examples.

1.moses suspended the ark of the convenant while his people were in war,when his hands were weak and try to drop them,his soliders were killed more,joshua have to put stones under his hands to maintain victory at warfort.

2.The ten lepers defile protocol and went to jesus and were heal not to mention the woman with the issue of blood.

Stories abound of people making the first step before God,jesus or prophets help them.

The clause may not be in the bible word for word but the theme run through out the bible.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by Udoabasi(m): 3:56pm On Sep 21, 2014
kingzjay: Akpaniko!
Eyen Akwa Ibom.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by radiant3(f): 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2014
The Expression is biblical but it ws nt stated in d bible, most christians use it as an adage.there are stories of some people in the bible that fit the expression"God helps those who help themselves"e.g Jabez,Hannah etc.the expression simply means that we all av a part to play to fulfil our God given DESTINY.
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by AdeniyiA(m): 4:00pm On Sep 21, 2014
Deuteronomy 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth , that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.
Power here is God's help for him who works, no matter what he/she is doing. Like work nd Pray, work is your own efforts while answers to prayers is help from God.
Consider this analogy, life's issues are like loads on your head which you intend to lower to the ground, but which you can't do alone because it's heavy, the first step is to place your hands by the load and then call God(help) so you could lower it successfully.
There's always two sides to a coin.
Also, taking God's commandments for example,when you help yourself at obeying his words, He in return helps you by supplying the rewards of obedience .check Deutoronomy 28:1-13. There's always God's side and our side.
So God helping those who help themselves is an all encompassing sentence, which talks about actions and consequences/rewards
Re: Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"? by kobonaire(m): 4:00pm On Sep 21, 2014
It's common sense too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Seven Things To Expect In A Real Godly Relationship / Ifeanyi, Paul Adefarasin's Wife Celebrates Him On His 58th Birthday / Don't Be Deceived, Everyone Has A Weakness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.