Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,467 members, 7,781,356 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:02 PM

Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! (12576 Views)

Intermittent Starting Problem -2007 Honda Accord. / Pls Solution To Intermittent Spark On Battery Cable During Connection / Car Jerks When Put In Gear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 8:16am On Sep 21, 2014
Good morning Nairaland,

I have come to recount my experience yesterday evening along 3rd Mainland bridge. Let me start properly by giving the full details of my car as required by the house; My car is a 2007 Toyota Camry. You all know I replaced the engine a while back after the first one 'knocked' as a result of oil drain.

Okay let me start this way, For like a month now my 'Check Engine Light' has been on but I have not got a place where I can scan it to know what the problem is. So since it's not affecting the driveability of the car I have been driving it like that since then.
So yesterday evening while I was driving on 3rd Mainland bridge, something strange happened! For the first time I noticed the Check Engine Light started blinking...... (this has never happened before). It will blink for some seconds, then stay on, and after a while it will start blinking again. Then sudden after like 5 minutes the car started jerking while on motion, like it won't accelerate well......Aaah.....I was just praying in my mind that let this car not come and stop here oh!! Because it was late. It will jerk like that for a while and then move again.......after some distance it will start jerking again. A striking thing I noticed was that when it is jerking, the Check Engine Light is also blinking at the same time.
So I just put a call through to my Mechanic. ....the mechanic said it could be due to things, he said it could be one of the plugs that is faulty OR the hose that is supplying fuel to the injector is blocked by dirts.

I am calling on all Experts here to please scrutinise my story and advise me accordingly please. I won't even drive the car for now until the problem is solved. But before I visit the mechanic please I need very honest advice from the house please.

What could be wrong with the car to cause this intermittent jerking? And what is the cause of the blinking check engine light?

House help please.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 21, 2014
You have a check engine light for 1 month and you keep driving you get mind. Your last engine change never tire you you wan change another engine?
Blinking CEL in toyota indicates a Misfire. In one or more Cylinders. Its also confirmed by erratic juttering, sputtering, irregular RPM movement. If you keep driving that car in that state, you'll damage the Catalytic converter or at worst, the engine. Check sparkplugs, Spark coilparks, coil wiring harnesses, fuel pump, fuel filter etc. But please Scan that car immediately. Even if you've discovered the culprit, please scan that car before something catastrophic happens.

1 Like

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 9:40am On Sep 21, 2014
lomomike: You have a check engine light for 1 month and you keep driving you get mind. Your last engine change never tire you you wan change another engine?
Blinking CEL in toyota indicates a Misfire. In one or more Cylinders. Its also confirmed by erratic juttering, sputtering, irregular RPM movement. If you keep driving that car in that state, you'll damage the Catalytic converter or at worst, the engine. Check sparkplugs, Spark coilparks, coil wiring harnesses, fuel pump, fuel filter etc. But please Scan that car immediately. Even if you've discovered the culprit, please scan that car before something catastrophic happens.

Thanks so much @lomomike. With all that you have just said i'm so scared to even start the car now let alone drive it.
Please can you guide me on how I can do all this? I mean how can I check the Spark plugs, Spark coilparks, coil wiring harnesses? Where are these components located in the car?
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 21, 2014
Bossmd:

Thanks so much @lomomike. With all that you have just said i'm so scared to even start the car now let alone drive it.
Please can you guide me on how I can do all this? I mean how can I check the Spark plugs, Spark coilparks, coil wiring harnesses? Where are these components located in the car?

EDITED

[s]Where's your location? If you're in Ibadan I could easily help you out. But if not, I can take the burden to tell you how to go about it.[/s]

On a second thought, get an OBD ii scanner and run a scan in that car. When it gives you any result, post the results and the Codes shown on the scanner here. I'd help you out.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
Bossmd: Good morning Nairaland,

I have come to recount my experience yesterday evening along 3rd Mainland bridge. Let me start properly by giving the full details of my car as required by the house; My car is a 2007 Toyota Camry. You all know I replaced the engine a while back after the first one 'knocked' as a result of oil drain.

Okay let me start this way, For like a month now my 'Check Engine Light' has been on but I have not got a place where I can scan it to know what the problem is. So since it's not affecting the driveability of the car I have been driving it like that since then.
So yesterday evening while I was driving on 3rd Mainland bridge, something strange happened! For the first time I noticed the Check Engine Light started blinking...... (this has never happened before). It will blink for some seconds, then stay on, and after a while it will start blinking again. Then sudden after like 5 minutes the car started jerking while on motion, like it won't accelerate well......Aaah.....I was just praying in my mind that let this car not come and stop here oh!! Because it was late. It will jerk like that for a while and then move again.......after some distance it will start jerking again. A striking thing I noticed was that when it is jerking, the Check Engine Light is also blinking at the same time.
So I just put a call through to my Mechanic. ....the mechanic said it could be due to things, he said it could be one of the plugs that is faulty OR the hose that is supplying fuel to the injector is blocked by dirts.

I am calling on all Experts here to please scrutinise my story and advise me accordingly please. I won't even drive the car for now until the problem is solved. But before I visit the mechanic please I need very honest advice from the house please.

What could be wrong with the car to cause this intermittent jerking? And what is the cause of the blinking check engine light?

House help please.

Thanks.

You can't troubleshoot modern cars without an ODB2 reader unless you just want to throw away money guessing.

The very first thing you should do is get your car scanned to see what codes are already stored. You don't need to start the car to get stored readings in case you are scared to start the car.

Hopefully you haven't damaged too much stuff.

This reminds me of a friend that was driving his car with CEL on, unknowingly one of the injectors was stuck open so he was just washing his cylinder bores with fuel. Had to change the engine $3,000 instead of just buying a new injector for less than $50, had he scanned his engine he would have found codes leading him to air fuel ratios.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
Check my signature give me a call or add on bbm.
Bossmd: Good morning Nairaland,
House help please.
Thanks.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bossmd, please can I ask you a question? God forbid, but assuming you have cough, cold, backache, a red eye, lack of appetite, fever etc. What do you think your doctor will tell you?

A lot of issues in a car have similar 'symptoms' if I may use that word but unless you go for a car scan. The real causes will not be detected. A Tokunbo 2007 Camry is about N1.8M/N2M (estimated). Please buy a car diagnostic tool. Its not expensive. You can get one as cheap as N13,000 for basic scanners. Once you get one, your problem is like half way solved. Don't let different mechanics 'mechanise' your car. On a serious note, your first engine passed out, please take good care of your ride. You deserve to get a personal OBD II diagnostic tool. Can you imagine what it means for your ride to get stuck in Lagos traffic? cry
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 1:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
Car scanned!!

Here are the error codes shown:

P0301
P043E
P043F
P2401
P2402
P2419

House over to you oh!!

Lomomike, Gazzuzz I have you added......abeg interpretation oh!
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bossmd: Car scanned!!

Here are the error codes shown:

P0301
P043E
P043F
P2401
P2402
P2419

House over to you oh!!

Lomomike, Gazzuzz I have you added......abeg interpretation oh!

Does the scanner you have not tell you what those codes are?

A P0301 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #1.

P043e Toyota - Evaporative Emission System Reference Orifice Clog Up

P043f Toyota - Evaporative Emission System Reference Orifice High Flow

P2401 Toyota - EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low

P2402 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High

P2419 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit Low

My friend you don enter am grin

If it were me I would study the schematics for all the vacuum lines under the hood. Make sure that they are still present and if missing or cracked then you need to replace them as a start.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 7:11pm On Sep 22, 2014
This code that you have especially the evaporative emission control system. Let me just hush and watch as the "op" goes on with his ride. I want to believe you over fill your tank when buying fuel to the extent of fuel gushing out of your tank. "Op" you would spend money for this code to be treated properly.

1 Like

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 7:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
mayor2013: This code that you have especially the evaporative emission control system. Let me just hush and watch as the "op" goes on with his ride. I want to believe you over fill your tank when buying fuel to the extent of fuel gushing out of your tank. "Op" you would spend money for this code to be treated properly.

Na wa ooh. EVAP this.....EVAP that.

As for code P0301.....We checked the Spark plug on Position #1 and noticed it's intact. Since the spark plug is good....we narrowed our next culprit to the Injector Nozzles. So on checking it was noticed that the nozzle on Cylinder #1 was clogged (most likely the cause of the Car sputtering). So we cleared the Nozzles and refix the Nozzles.

As for the EVAP codes: Well, we noticed that one of the bolts on the Vacuum pump was missing, the mechanic said that could be the area of the leak. We replaced the bolt.

And finally we cleared the codes and added injector cleaner to the Fuel Tank.

I just pray these problems will not return. Those EVAP codes are too many to understand. Where person wan start from sef? It is well
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 7:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
Am interested in this case, what do you mean by evap housing.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
mayor2013: Am interested in this case, what do you mean by evap housing. I want to believe you mean charcoal canister

Maybe I don't know the Technical description.

See attached images pls

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 7:46pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bossmd:

Maybe I don't know the Technical description.

See attached images pls

That bolt on the right of the Vacuum pump close to the Brake Fluid was the one replaced.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bossmd:

Na wa ooh. EVAP this.....EVAP that.

As for code P0301.....We checked the Spark plug on Position #1 and noticed it's intact. Since the spark plug is good....we narrowed our next culprit to the Injector Nozzles. So on checking it was noticed that the nozzle on Cylinder #1 was clogged (most likely the cause of the Car sputtering). So we cleared the Nozzles and refix the Nozzles.

As for the EVAP codes: Well, we noticed that one of the bolts on the Vacuum pump was missing, the mechanic said that could be the area of the leak. We replaced the bolt.

And finally we cleared the codes and added injector cleaner to the Fuel Tank.

I just pray these problems will not return. Those EVAP codes are too many to understand. Where person wan start from sef? It is well

In the old days you would check for

Spark plug
Spark plug boot
Spark plug wire
Ignition cap
Ignition rotor

Yes I know modern cars may not have all of that but have your mechanic put his thinking cap on and troubleshoot that cylinder based on the old way.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 7:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
Do you over fill your tank like I earlier asked?Though you have started well but you haven't still tackled the main culprits. Well have you rescaned the car? To see what codes you still have left
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 8:23pm On Sep 22, 2014
mayor2013: Do you over fill your tank like I earlier asked?Though you have started well but you haven't still tackled the main culprits. Well have you rescaned the car? To see what codes you still have left

Sometimes I overfill but not out of intention but due to overzealous fuel station attendants. Although Nowadays I no longer fill my tank to the brim.....I can always tell how many litres of fuel inside the tank from the position of the fuel guage on the instrument cluster. So I just buy an amount of fuel just enough for my destination.

Yes, after all these, we re-scanned and the message we got from the computer screen was "No pending codes found".
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 8:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
No pending codes or no fault code stored? Have you driven the car after you rescanned?? What is the state of the car in terms of its performance after working upon some of the errors
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bossmd:

Sometimes I overfill but not out of intention but due to overzealous fuel station attendants. Although Nowadays I no longer fill my tank to the brim.....I can always tell how many litres of fuel inside the tank from the position of the fuel guage on the instrument cluster. So I just buy an amount of fuel just enough for my destination.

Yes, after all these, we re-scanned and the message we got from the computer screen was "No pending codes found".

Ehen, oga mi no vex I went to run some ish... ah thank GOD your codes don clear. But drive the car well and rescan it again. As for the fixing, how your pockets, hope e no too get holes after these fixtures o?

OEM Toyota EVAP cannisters goes up to $450 NGN79,000. Next time DON'T over fill your tank. When ever you get to a filling station, tell the attendant to drop the nozzle deep inside the fuel inlet, then as the fuel is being dispensed, once the nozzle clicks and stops dispensing, tell the attendant to wait for the fuel to drip off the nozzle before removing it so as to prevent spillage and seeping of fuel into the EVAP pressure line.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
@ lomomike grin. If I give him the cost for the carbon canister. They go say we dey vex. Thank God some1 else is testifying to this. Like I said am interested in this car issue of the "op". As for the "op" not to scare you drive your car. But you are yet to start . Just drive the car and rescan again. Good luck bro
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 9:57pm On Sep 22, 2014
lomomike:

Ehen, oga mi no vex I went to run some ish... ah thank GOD your codes don clear. But drive the car well and rescan it again. As for the fixing, how your pockets, hope e no too get holes after these fixtures o?

OEM Toyota EVAP cannisters goes up to $450 NGN79,000. Next time DON'T over fill your tank. When ever you get to a filling station, tell the attendant to drop the nozzle deep inside the fuel inlet, then as the fuel is being dispensed, once the nozzle clicks and stops dispensing, tell the attendant to wait for the fuel to drip off the nozzle before removing it so as to prevent spillage and seeping of fuel into the EVAP pressure line.

How long do you think I will drive before the codes get thrown again? Cos seriously that $450 ain't child's play meehn!!
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 10:00pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bossmd:

How long do you think I will drive before the codes get thrown again? Cos seriously that $450 ain't child's play meehn!!

A 30km drive is enough to reveal work progress
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 10:07pm On Sep 22, 2014
Inshort use that car for like 3 days and re scan after.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 10:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
Please what is the colloquial term for the charcoal Canister? You know most of these mechanics don't know the real technical names of these parts.....they usually have their own local names for them.....

Like most of them refer to Catalytic Converters as Catalysts.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bossmd: Please what is the colloquial term for the charcoal Canister? You know most of these mechanics don't know the real technical names of these parts.....they usually have their own local names for them.....

Like most of them refer to Catalytic Converters as Catalysts.

Catalytic converters is referred to as indomie.

I don't know what mechanics call Charcoal canister
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by bimbor(m): 10:52pm On Sep 22, 2014
@Op I will advise you accordingly.....

The EVAP issue is not really a serious issue as such, as in it really does not have much damaging consequences on the car unlike the P0301 Code which if not corrected can have a detrimental effect on your catalytic converter as a result of unburned fuel escaping into the exhaust manifold and this will in turn melt the catalytic converter.

But the EVAP emmission issues are some of the reasons why some cars fail emmission tests in the US. What the EVAP system does is that it directs fuel vapour back to the engine to be burned out instead of the atmosphere....this is the reason most times you will never notice any symptom on the car when this issue arises except the 'Check Engine Light' that will be on.

So really except you have so much cash to splash, I will advise you still continue to use the car like that for now. We don't have any emmission standards in Nigeria here.

@Lomomike, talk true, you fit splash $450 on top just Charcoal Canister? grin
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 22, 2014
bimbor: @Op I will advise you accordingly.....

The EVAP issue is not really a serious issue as such, as in it really does not have much damaging consequences on the car unlike the P0301 Code which if not corrected can have a detrimental effect on your catalytic converter as a result of unburned fuel escaping into the exhaust manifold and this will in turn melt the catalytic converter.

But the EVAP emmission issues are some of the reasons why some cars fail emmission tests in the US. What the EVAP system does is that it directs fuel vapour back to the engine to be burned out instead of the atmosphere....this is the reason most times you will never notice any symptom on the car when this issue arises except the 'Check Engine Light' that will be on.

So really except you have so much cash to splash, I will advise you still continue to use the car like that for now. We don't have any emmission standards in Nigeria here.

I fit hack into bad toyota/lexus charcoal cannister and make it work like new yet I go spend not up to NGN 10,000 lipsrsealed
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by mayor2013: 11:12pm On Sep 22, 2014
And do you think the "op" would feel comfortable watching his check light on ? @ "op" first thing you need check is your fuel tank cover. Open the cover and check if it is in good order. Another thing is if the cover is properly fitted In

1 Like

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 12:18am On Sep 23, 2014
bimbor: @Op I will advise you accordingly.....

The problem with your suggestion is how will he then know when a new more serious code has propped up?

I mean this is on a car that is popping up codes like it's going out of fashion.
Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 6:57pm On Sep 25, 2014
CityNG:

Does the scanner you have not tell you what those codes are?

A P0301 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #1.

P043e Toyota - Evaporative Emission System Reference Orifice Clog Up

P043f Toyota - Evaporative Emission System Reference Orifice High Flow

P2401 Toyota - EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit Low

P2402 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High

P2419 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit Low

My friend you don enter am grin

If it were me I would study the schematics for all the vacuum lines under the hood. Make sure that they are still present and if missing or cracked then you need to replace them as a start.

@CityNG Please can you direct me on how I can study the schematics for the vacuum lines.....where are they located? Pls advise please......

Although the check engine light has not come back on yet but when I scanned the car today using my own personal OBD Scanner with Torque app......it brought up the same set of codes again, except that the "P0301" code no longer showed up. I guess that has been taken care of.....I will attach a screenshot of the other codes for you guys to see shortly:

All I need now is the best advice on what to do please.

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
Bossmd:

@CityNG Please can you direct me on how I can study the schematics for the vacuum lines.....where are they located? Pls advise please......

Although the check engine light has not come back on yet but when I scanned the car today using my own personal OBD Scanner with Torque app......it brought up the same set of codes again, except that the "P0301" code no longer showed up. I guess that has been taken care of.....I will attach a screenshot of the other codes for you guys to see shortly:

All I need now is the best advice on what to do please.

So what I tell people is that having a scanner is just one part of the solution, you will still have to interpret it.

1) Join your car make/model specific forum and read the archives. You won't be the first one to get these issues and the solution may be right there.

2) Vacuum line diagrams are usually pasted under the hood, if it's missing then you need a repair manual or you can copy from another car.

The good thing is that most of those codes will clear once you find the 1 cause, I mean that they are all likely related to one single issue.

1 Like

Re: Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! by Bossmd: 12:34am On Sep 26, 2014
CityNG:

So what I tell people is that having a scanner is just one part of the solution, you will still have to interpret it.

1) Join your car make/model specific forum and read the archives. You won't be the first one to get these issues and the solution may be right there.

2) Vacuum line diagrams are usually pasted under the hood, if it's missing then you need a repair manual or you can copy from another car.

The good thing is that most of those codes will clear once you find the 1 cause, I mean that they are all likely related to one single issue.

The diagram under the hood is just a schematic drawing, not easily understood. If anyone can guide me on how I can locate the wiring to the vacuum system will be greatly helpful. I understand they are all underneath the car.

Also where is the Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) located?

They unmoumnted my gas tank recently because it contained water and some impurities. ....so they had to drop it and clean it....could this be the cause of the problem, maybe in an attempt to reinstall the tank they tamper with the charcoal canister.

Do I have to replace the entire Charcoal Canister Assembly?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? / Bugatti Divo Undergoes A Makeover, Unrevealed At Paris Auto Show - Photos / What Is Wrong With Mazda Cars}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.