₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1,926,419 members, 3,964,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 12 December 2017 at 12:04 AM

Mutual Funds - Investment (1) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Mutual Funds (136698 Views)

Top 10 Mutual Fund Managers In Nigeria / Mutual Funds In Nigeria: Please Share Your Experience / Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) ... (54) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 7:14am On Sep 29, 2014
ogawisdom:
Do u kw of any other mutual fund dt can pay a guaranteed 12percent of ones principal per annum payable every three months. Kgif pays after six months dts too long.

I dont think I have heard 12% and payable quarterly. The closest that I know is FBN @ 11.5% but I just use 11% for my calculations most times. Also, nothing it guaranteed. KGIF may be your best bet on 12% or above

Ernie,
I have a question on the "guaranteed" in InvestmentOne's product, is that just part of the name because they were formerly from GTBank or they really mean it? or both grin
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 8:21am On Sep 29, 2014
Both, mind u we still have other investments that the interest is not guaranteed
Re: Mutual Funds by ogawisdom(m): 8:36am On Sep 29, 2014
carpenter:

I dont think I have heard 12% and payable quarterly. The closest that I know is FBN @ 11.5% but I just use 11% for my calculations most times. Also, nothing it guaranteed. KGIF may be your best bet on 12% or above

Ernie,
I have a question on the "guaranteed" in InvestmentOne's product, is that just part of the name because they were formerly from GTBank or they really mean it? or both grin

D first rule of my investment policy is 99.99% security of my principal. This is not negotiable ofcourse I worked soo hard to earn this money. I detest losing my principal after denyin myself somethings to save this money, my last investment in oando stock comes to mind though I didn't lose bc of my swift action but my stockbroker almost messed with my money. I almost develop high bp while all dt lasted

R u into this first bank fund n is my principa very safe in d fund. 11% pa payable quaterly is nt bad if my principal is 100% secured.

Pls shed more light on ur personal experience wit d fund I am interested
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 10:37am On Sep 29, 2014
ogawisdom:
D first rule of my investment policy is 99.99% security of my principal. This is not negotiable ofcourse I worked soo hard to earn this money. I detest losing my principal after denyin myself somethings to save this money, my last investment in oando stock comes to mind though I didn't lose bc of my swift action but my stockbroker almost messed with my money. I almost develop high bp while all dt lasted
R u into this first bank fund n is my principa very safe in d fund. 11% pa payable quaterly is nt bad if my principal is 100% secured.
Pls shed more light on ur personal experience wit d fund I am interested

I invest in the FBN money market fund and it is NOT guaranteed (principal and yield). The Fund is rated low risk by Agusto and Co.

You can do a search for FBN Money Market Fund, I think KGIF suits you better though.

What is being invested in is what dictates the trend...

They pay when due and I reinvest my dividends, they also give bonuses which is outside the 11.5% (just remembered this).

When I took stock of yield rate after about 1.5yrs, I was having about 21% increase (dividends and bonuses).
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 10:39am On Sep 29, 2014
ernie4life: Both, mind u we still have other investments that the interest is not guaranteed

Thanks
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 10:50am On Sep 29, 2014
carpenter:
I invest in the FBN money market fund and it is NOT guaranteed (principal and yield). The Fund is rated low risk by Agusto and Co.
You can do a search for FBN Money Market Fund, I think KGIF suits you better though.
What is being invested in is what dictates the trend...
They pay when due and I reinvest my dividends, they also give bonuses which is outside the 11.5% (just remembered this).
When I took stock of yield rate after about 1.5yrs, I was having about 21% increase (dividends and bonuses).

Sorry no bonues, just checked my statement
Re: Mutual Funds by ogawisdom(m): 11:02am On Sep 29, 2014
carpenter:

I invest in the FBN money market fund and it is NOT guaranteed (principal and yield). The Fund is rated low risk by Agusto and Co.

You can do a search for FBN Money Market Fund, I think KGIF suits you better though.

What is being invested in is what dictates the trend...

They pay when due and I reinvest my dividends, they also give bonuses which is outside the 11.5% (just remembered this).

When I took stock of yield rate after about 1.5yrs, I was having about 21% increase (dividends and bonuses).



Ok thanks
Re: Mutual Funds by ifyalways(f): 11:58am On Sep 29, 2014
carpenter:

Sorry no bonues, just checked my statement
I wish I could get one that actually gives extra bonuses. Investment one claim they do for KGIF but I'm yet to see or hear anyone that actually got.

Reinvesting dividends is super cool. I do that too.

Generally, one should not carry all his/ her life savings and plunge into mutual funds, to avoid stories that touch. Invest only a fraction, something you can live without.

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by ifyalways(f): 12:00pm On Sep 29, 2014
ernie4life: Both, mind u we still have other investments that the interest is not guaranteed
Ernie let's do "Arms", please.

I am interested in some of their products but need a second opinion.
Re: Mutual Funds by angelo82: 12:26pm On Sep 29, 2014
ifyalways:
I wish I could get one that actually gives extra bonuses. Investment one claim they do for KGIF but I'm yet to see or hear anyone that actually got.

Reinvesting dividends is super cool. I do that too.

Generally, one should not carry all his/ her life savings and plunge into mutual funds, to avoid stories that touch. Invest only a fraction, something you can live without.



For guaranteed fund,don't you think is better for them to just pay you your fixed interest rather than ask for dividend?….The dividend payout is a way of shortchanging investors and you won't even detect…..Fund manager always confuse investors but the KGIF bi-annuall interest payout is straight forward and good for investors…..I don't buy all those ones with dividend because their dividend is very small and unnecessary…..
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 2:08pm On Sep 29, 2014
ifyalways:
I wish I could get one that actually gives extra bonuses. Investment one claim they do for KGIF but I'm yet to see or hear anyone that actually got.
Reinvesting dividends is super cool. I do that too.
Generally, one should not carry all his/ her life savings and plunge into mutual funds, to avoid stories that touch. Invest only a fraction, something you can live without.

KGIF is for you then since it is fixed (although if the benchmark (MPR) moves, be sure the manager will move the goal post), can swing both ways sha. Then they say if there is excess, 35% of profits could also be shared which is extra.

I will rather keep my money in stocks and funds as long as I do not need them now. Since I found out only 500k is insured by NDIC per individual account, I only keep a little spending cash in my bank account and the rest goes to stocks and somewhat liquid investment like Money market.

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 6:07pm On Sep 29, 2014
please someone with info or experience on any other stanbic ibtc mutual fund should help us.

unless if the don't have any other mutual fund!!!!!
Re: Mutual Funds by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 29, 2014
ernie4life: please someone with info or experience on any other stanbic ibtc mutual fund should help us.

unless if the don't have any other mutual fund!!!!!

They do.
Here you go to www.stanbicibtcassetmanagement.com/?page_id=72
On the page, click on the "Features of the Mutual Funds" to view detailed information regarding their mutual funds.
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 7:48pm On Sep 29, 2014
I was discussing with a friend that works in another investment house about the issue of part of mutual funds being invested in stock, this was what he said, about 85% of mutual funds are invested in Tbills and bonds, the other 15% is invested in stocks, the major reason fund managers do this is because of the potential of stocks yielding more than bonds and tbills, while bonds could give you 13% interest, stocks if professional invested has the potential of yielding 20%. If this be the case the fund managers will still pay u the agreed 12% or 11% interest as agreed and the excess becomes their gain.

Expository if you as me, what do you guys think about this?

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 7:49pm On Sep 29, 2014
I was discussing with a friend that works in another investment house about the issue of part of mutual funds being invested in stock, this was what he said, about 85% of mutual funds are invested in Tbills and bonds, the other 15% is invested in stocks, the major reason fund managers do this is because of the potential of stocks yielding more than bonds and tbills, while bonds could give you 13% interest, stocks if professional invested has the potential of yielding 20%. If this be the case the fund managers will still pay u the agreed 12% or 11% interest as agreed and the excess becomes their gain.

Expository if you as me, what do you guys think about this?
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 10:41am On Sep 30, 2014
ernie4life: I was discussing with a friend that works in another investment house about the issue of part of mutual funds being invested in stock, this was what he said, about 85% of mutual funds are invested in Tbills and bonds, the other 15% is invested in stocks, the major reason fund managers do this is because of the potential of stocks yielding more than bonds and tbills, while bonds could give you 13% interest, stocks if professional invested has the potential of yielding 20%. If this be the case the fund managers will still pay u the agreed 12% or 11% interest as agreed and the excess becomes their gain.
Expository if you as me, what do you guys think about this? 

Most of the funds have allocation ranges in percentages between Bonds, TBills, Liquidity or Stocks. It is always nice to know what constitutes the fund you are investing in especially if you have certain beliefs that may deter you from them. The allocation ranges are not fixed and can be reviewed.

N.B. I am not a financial expert, i just manage my own finances on excel and read a few stuff here and there.
Re: Mutual Funds by angelo82: 11:16am On Sep 30, 2014
ernie4life: I was discussing with a friend that works in another investment house about the issue of part of mutual funds being invested in stock, this was what he said, about 85% of mutual funds are invested in Tbills and bonds, the other 15% is invested in stocks, the major reason fund managers do this is because of the potential of stocks yielding more than bonds and tbills, while bonds could give you 13% interest, stocks if professional invested has the potential of yielding 20%. If this be the case the fund managers will still pay u the agreed 12% or 11% interest as agreed and the excess becomes their gain.

Expository if you as me, what do you guys think about this? 


Ethically,a fixed income fund has no business in equity investment but your folks at work was right about the reason given by fund managers but that can't be the truth…..My opinion is that,the 15% investment in equities by a fixed income mutual fund is a loophole that need to be closed….It might be a one time haircut of your fund by the fund manager which is not right….
Re: Mutual Funds by ifyalways(f): 11:32am On Sep 30, 2014
angelo82:


For guaranteed fund,don't you think is better for them to just pay you your fixed interest rather than ask for dividend?….The dividend payout is a way of shortchanging investors and you won't even detect…..Fund manager always confuse investors but the KGIF bi-annuall interest payout is straight forward and good for investors…..I don't buy all those ones with dividend because their dividend is very small and unnecessary…..
I meant I don't ask for dividend's payout, I simply re-invest ie add to my capital. And trust me, I follow up sharply, down to the last penny.

carpenter:
KGIF is for you then since it is fixed (although if the benchmark (MPR) moves, be sure the manager will move the goal post), can swing both ways sha. Then they say if there is excess, 35% of profits could also be shared which is extra.
I will rather keep my money in stocks and funds as long as I do not need them now. Since I found out only 500k is insured by NDIC per individual account, I only keep a little spending cash in my bank account and the rest goes to stocks and somewhat liquid investment like Money market.
Yeah, I do KGIF.
Never seen anyone who got excess oo.
Re: Mutual Funds by ifyalways(f): 11:38am On Sep 30, 2014
I was at skye bank today and one of their marketers was all over me with their "SFS FIXED INCOME FUND". They promise to deliver as much as 12% and their minimum principal of 10,000 ngn.

I no trust Skye bank but i'm open to hear from anyone who's invested with them.
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 11:53am On Sep 30, 2014
ifyalways: I was at skye bank today and one of their marketers was all over me with their "SFS FIXED INCOME FUND". They promise to deliver as much as 12% and their minimum principal of 10,000 ngn.

I no trust Skye bank but i'm open to hear from anyone who's invested with them.

give us more details on the fund?
although sky bank is comparatively new in the investment market, I won't be quick to write them off till I have all the details and then I do a proper research.
Re: Mutual Funds by Kennyfancy(m): 12:24pm On Sep 30, 2014
Good day, i would like to invest bt pls am having issue, u said 12%, so if i invest 50,000 naira, dat means by d year ending my profite will b 6000, pls xplain
Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 4:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
Kennyfancy: Good day, i would like to invest bt pls am having issue, u said 12%, so if i invest 50,000 naira, dat means by d year ending my profite will b 6000, pls xplain

It is that simple, nothing to explain. 6,000 pere
Re: Mutual Funds by ifyalways(f): 4:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
ernie4life:
give us more details on the fund?
although sky bank is comparatively new in the investment market, I won't be quick to write them off till I have all the details and then I do a proper research.

They call themselves SFS Capital. You could invest as low as 10,000 ngn monthly/quarterly/annually/semi-annually with a promise of delivering 12% (minimum, which means it COULD be more) interest per annum.

I dug deeper on my own and found out they are registered as "Unit trust Scheme" . What does that mean

2 Likes

Re: Mutual Funds by carpenter(m): 5:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
ifyalways:
They call themselves SFS Capital. You could invest as low as 10,000 ngn monthly/quarterly/annually/semi-annually with a promise of delivering 12% (minimum, which means it COULD be more) interest per annum.
I dug deeper on my own and found out they are registered as "Unit trust Scheme" . What does that mean

Unit trust is just a general name for all those funds we have been talking about. This might help http://www.first-trustees.com/page.php?item=Unit+Trust+Scheme&tag1=Products+and+Services
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 6:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
ifyalways:
They call themselves SFS Capital. You could invest as low as 10,000 ngn monthly/quarterly/annually/semi-annually with a promise of delivering 12% (minimum, which means it COULD be more) interest per annum.

I dug deeper on my own and found out they are registered as "Unit trust Scheme" . What does that mean

sounds to me like a saving scheme, many financial institutions have packages like that, the highest I have heard of is minimum of 20k contribution per month at an interest of 10%

so if you ask me I think the sky bank deal is not bad, but try and know what the invest the funds into.

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by troy20(m): 1:00pm On Oct 01, 2014
@ernie4life.could you drop your contacts pls.

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 2:30pm On Oct 01, 2014
troy20: @ernie4life.could you drop your contacts pls.

send me a PM
Re: Mutual Funds by BermudaTriangle(m): 8:26pm On Oct 02, 2014
ernie4life: Continuation...............

Managers can charge fees ranging from 2% – 5% of the Value of the Portfolio. Take note at times the funds make more money than expected and in such instance the fund manager makes more money and still pays you the agreed rate with a little on top. 

The post above and its ensuing comments, if any, is purely the opinion of the writer. It therefore should never be considered as an investment advise of any sort. If required, readers should please consult a competent professional financial adviser for any investment decision.

Am compiling a list of mutual funds available in nigeria, there rates, there fund managers and there tax implications. Expect it soon

Looking forward to it. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by sunboy(m): 7:54am On Oct 04, 2014
I think i would give ARMa chance, i was at their office yesterday. Their staff that attended to me adviced that i just go for the Money Market Fund because my principal is guaranteed, and that they have a fixed interest of 11% currently they pay quarterly and a daily changes happen to my fund which have no effect on 11% pay out.
Minimum initial investment of 50,000
Additional is in 25k

What do you guys suggest? any body done the money market fund by ARM to confirm or debunk this claim ?

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by sextail(m): 11:36am On Oct 04, 2014
Hello,
i have an idle funds but i will like to try out this mutual fund with about 60k for a start. pls guys, do i just need to walk into any of their offices (ARM, STANBIC....) to invest? sorry i am a novice but i want to plan for my future and i am in Ibadan
Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 4:57pm On Oct 04, 2014
sextail:
Hello,
i have an idle funds but i will like to try out this mutual fund with about 60k for a start. pls guys, do i just need to walk into any of their offices (ARM, STANBIC....) to invest? sorry i am a novice but i want to plan for my future and i am in Ibadan
Yea just walk in and make your investment, but please make sure you get the right information about the mutual funds before investing
Re: Mutual Funds by ifyalways(f): 8:29am On Oct 05, 2014
sunboy:
I think i would give ARMa chance, i was at their office yesterday. Their staff that attended to me adviced that i just go for the Money Market Fund because my principal is guaranteed, and that they have a fixed interest of 11% currently they pay quarterly and a daily changes happen to my fund which have no effect on 11% pay out.
Minimum initial investment of 50,000
Additional is in 25k

What do you guys suggest? any body done the money market fund by ARM to confirm or debunk this claim ?
11% quarterly is not a bad deal, IMO.

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) ... (54) (Reply)

Givers Forum Has Finally Crashed / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Treasury Bills In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2017 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.