Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities (37741 Views)

FG Moves To Regulate Fees Charged By Tertiary Institutions / Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Varsities / List Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 21, 2014
damosky12: Now, the question I want to ask is if Nairaland has now become an official platform for critizing Men of God, dragging their name the mud. It was Pst Chris, Prophet TB Josh. Boy!!! I pity you guys taking it upon yourselves to do this. It is not for you to choose who is or who is'nt a Man of God..
Minimize your weeds taking.

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:16pm On Sep 21, 2014
i'm just waiting for the day any graduate from a private university will try to compare themselves with us from public school.

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by bizhub: 9:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
You can't even gather ur little family for family prayers but your calling and gift is to condemn men of God with millions of congregration..and even advice them on how much to charge as school fees ...officially write winners to do poverty alleviation for Nigeria!so the gvt can focus on other issues like 2015 election

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by bigtt76(f): 9:25pm On Sep 21, 2014
My stand here is clear
1. Bishop should not make it look as if everyone has the money to attend a private university but choose not to and rather spend on frivolities.

2. All church and private Universities and unaffordable to the poor should be made affordable. Some students cannot afford 150k as school fees. Such students should be identified and assisted.

3. People should realize that the poor who make up the majority remains a risk to the rich few if not adequately taken care of. Boko Haram members are not kids born with silver spoon ...they were recruited out of poverty.

sarutobie:
my dear where is your stand
1.you agree they get no funding from the government unlike the state and federal universities.
2.you also agreed on an earlier post that it snt fair that they should charge less or equal to what a government funded university charges.
3.i now cited ABSU(a government owned university oo) as an example where they charge 150k per session..which is still not affordable for a lot of people
4.now if you are of the opinion that a private school shouldn't charge what a government school charges (because they dont get funds from the government); and still believe a lot of people cant even afford the said "cheaper" public schools charging 150-200k per session, how much then should the private schools charge
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by bizhub: 9:32pm On Sep 21, 2014
U have 3 smart phones,ur family uses 3 cars,u have 3 girlfriends,u club every friday ,u wear designers...its only when the mention bishop oyedepo that u remember you have the poor in your midst!!sell some of your cars and phones some of the poor people around you have not eaten..or you dnt want to make heaven??

6 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sarutobie(m): 9:34pm On Sep 21, 2014
bigtt76: My stand here is clear
1. Bishop should not make it look as if everyone has the money to attend a private university but choose not to and rather spend on frivolities.

2. All church and private Universities and unaffordable to the poor should be made affordable. Some students cannot afford 150k as school fees. Such students should be identified and assisted.

3. People should realize that the poor who make up the majority remains a risk to the rich few if not adequately taken care of. Boko Haram members are not kids born with silver spoon ...they were recruited out of poverty.

you mean to feign ignorance of the brilliant students who are offered scholarships in the private universities?

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by bizhub: 9:51pm On Sep 21, 2014
[quote author=frosbel]

How much profit did missionary schools make and why can he not sell all his private jets and use the money to subsidise education for the poor ?

The truth is that this man's interest is in money not people ......Why cnt you sell your smart phone and help the poor people around?or are you not a genuine christain??
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Obipat(m): 10:01pm On Sep 21, 2014
Titiluvly:

That's My Papa...Exceeding Grace Sir!....cheesy
. So u don't know ur papa? Sorry is ur name
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by bigtt76(f): 10:03pm On Sep 21, 2014
How many of them naaa? Until I see the criteria used or the selection team go to the hinterland s of the Niger Delta, Makoko, Chibok etc in search of indigent but brilliant kids, I still will maintain my ignorance of such existing.

Shei na scholarship dem de award to kids who schooled at expensive primary and secondary school? Mtscheeeeew undecided

sarutobie:
you mean to feign ignorance of the brilliant students who are offered scholarships in the private universities?
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Attorney1Lawz: 10:16pm On Sep 21, 2014
frosbel:

Stop collecting money from the poor if they cannot share in the benefits of your investment. It's almost like paying your tax and being told you do not qualify for the benefits of what the tax is used for like good roads, affordable school fees etc.

Money collected from church members should be used to meet the needs of the less fortunate and not for the maintainance of your empire.

Disgusting hypocrites !!

1. Every geniune church has ist welfare arm that takes care of the needs of its membes, the megachurches in Nigeria are no didderent Mr. If u know anyone who has classified himself as poor , am sure the welfare dept. of the church would be willing to attend to his needs.

2. What i find intruiging is for people to say monies are being collected from the poor and yet nothing is given back to them. I think the megachuches all thrive on excellent services it provides to its members where everyone feels honoured and being a part of the family. If u think otherwise try opening a church or better still a UNIVERSITY and lets see ur model of helping the poor!!!

3.I did advice people stop this emotional rant targeted towards those trying to salvage a basterdized, cult -ridden, sexual harrasment prone, bribe collecting lecturers system prevalent in our public universities and ask the govt. to begin investing and revamping this system. Oyedepo came up with convinient facilities for students including hostels because he has got a taste for excellence. Before now u got like 15 people to a room even in fed. Universities like UNILAG etc. - loafers, hangers on etc. People never saw this as babaric until these churches had to tell us that STUDENTS and SARDINES dont share same DNA!!!

4.By and large if Oyedepo has a 200,000 memebership base at its headquater alone , its only rational that of the 1800 students it admits yearly spaces would never be sufficent for all its loyal, poor and rich members alike to secure admission for each academic session. Therefore no-one should use tuition fees as a criteria for not securing a place - Money is the last phase of its admision policy, quality results and integrity of character certainly DO COUNT AS yardstick for admission there.

5.Since we all hands are never equal and spaces at the best institutions can never be for all including the rich, isnt it thoughtful that we make sure standards dont go down but we increase access to the lower class by contributing to these higher institution. Alas, as typical Nigerians, we shout down on architects of these institution. we dont task our govt. to their mandatory responsibility of a right to education yet. we turn to the Oyedepo's and Adeboye's to demand a right to education. THIS IS CERTAINLY A BRAZEN SHOW OF IGNORANCE. YOU should TELL YOUR REP AT THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY AND GOVERNORS AND POLITICAL PARTIES ABOUT THE NEED TO RESPECT A RIGHT TO EDUCATION FOR ALL and NOT THE CHURCH FOR WHICH YOU ARE NEITHER A MEMBER, A CONTRIBUTOR TO, NOR EVEN A SYMPATHESIR TO ITS CAUSE.

RIGHT TO EDUCATION is guaranteed by the GOVERNMENT not private establishments like Churches mosques or any individual !!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by duruallwell25(m): 10:18pm On Sep 21, 2014
This man is talking like another Bamitale Omole Vice chancellor of OAU, who increased d a students' school fees and was justifying his actions by saying
1. most students use sophisticated fones why can't they afford to pay
2. My children in primary schools pay close to 100k so why can't students of the higher institution pay same.
stupid reasons to justify actions...
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by arsetalks(m): 10:23pm On Sep 21, 2014
The churches shouldnt collect tithes from the poor whose children can't afford to go to the schools that were established with the tithes the poor struggle to pay then?

People whose tithe and offering is used in establishing these schools have been priced out and he is defending it? The church has gone crazy obviously.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Elnino4ladies: 10:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
Endougs: President and founder of the Living Faith Church aka Winners Chapel Worldwide, Bishop David Oyedepo, has defended what many consider to be the exorbitant tuition fees charged by the church’s schools, describing the provision of quality education as an expensive venture.

Oyedepo defended the fees while addressing journalists on Friday in Ota, Ogun State, at a media chat organised as part of activities to celebrate his 60th birthday coming up on September 27, 2014.

Private schools, especially faith-based ones in the country, including Covenant and Landmark universities, owned by the church, are often criticised for being too expensive for average Nigerians to afford.

But the popular cleric highlighted some of the church’s humanitarian programmes which include providing scholarships and bursary awards to assist disadvantaged and brilliant students.

He said, “I’m sure we all agree that education is expensive. Education carries cost; nothing of value is free. Our mission for years long, before we started any university or secondary school, was a bursary awarding church and we have not stopped doing that till tomorrow”.

Oyedepo said that the church was committed to providing quality education to youths, adding that many Nigerians complain about the cost of education in private universities because they have got their priorities misplaced.

Our problem most of the time is priority; an average Nigerian can spend N1m on burial but to spend N200,000 on education (is a problem), because of wrong priority.

On a yearly basis, we have N1.5trn that Nigerians spend to overseas universities, so people thrive on it. Nigerians spend N463bn a month on recharge cards, how much are they paying for schools fees? So it’s all a matter of priority. This is the largest market for telephone in the world. Now, to pay N500,000, some people have only one son, they have huge business and houses all over the places, they will never pay it”.

Speaking further, Oyedepo, who seems to have developed thick skin to many controversial reports about him on the social media, revealed that it is a waste of time to respond to his critics.

He said, “My understanding of opposition, persecution is simply someone’s opinion harshly expressed. Everybody has a right to his opinion. Today, millions follow after Christ but you will be surprised that when you get to Israel some people do not believe that Christ has come.

“People have rights to their opinions. I naturally don’t feel it’s necessary (to respond). The energy I would need to react, I can use it to make moves. I have enough to think about than start running after a man who says you are a fool.

“If he says you are a fool and you are behaving so, then he’s right. If you leave your job and start pursuing somebody who says you are a fool, he has already said so, your going around doesn’t change it. So why going around, why don’t you settle on your job and make moves?

“I’ve also come to understand that those who make news hardly watch them, they are so busy making news while others are busy watching”.
Asked about the challenges he has faced in life and in his ministry, Oyedepo said he had never focused on his challenges but rather, has been fuelled by them.

He said, “Life essentially is full of challenges, it is those challenges that make champions. You can’t emerge a heavy weight boxing champion except you receive punches. You can’t change classes in school except you write exams.

“So to me, life is an adventure in challenges and I’ve said often that it is normal to be challenged but it’s unscriptural to be defeated. Challenges are the stepping stones for the making of champions”.

In 1981, at the age of 27, Oyedepo, who would later become a household name in Nigeria and beyond, started his ministry in Ilorin, Kwara State and sited his first church two years later in Kaduna State.

At the media chat, he said that the church, which had humble beginnings, is now located in 63 countries in the world and that the Faith Tabernacle, Ota, where he is the presiding Bishop, plays host to “over 200,000 worshippers every Sunday morning in four services”.

http://endougs..com/2014/09/oyedepo-defends-fees-charged-by-private.html
flimsy excuses from d modafvcker!
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Attorney1Lawz: 10:39pm On Sep 21, 2014
arsetalks: The churches shouldnt collect tithes from the poor whose children can't afford to go to the schools that were established with the tithes the poor struggle to pay then?

People whose tithe and offering is used in establishing these schools have been priced out and he is defending it? The church has gone crazy obviously.
\

Hmmm, Never seen where the church labeled offering basket for the "POOR" or one for the "RICH". Payment of Offerings and tithe is never by force, its a freewill dontation. So please MR. those giving ar no less wise than u think. they are full blodded Nigerian with thier thinking cap on.

iF THEY FELT BEING CHEATED OUT THEY WOULD HAVE STOPPED OR REVOLTED LONG AGO. FOR SOME OF THESE UNIVERSITIES HAVE SPENT OVER A DECADE U KNOW.

LASTLY , EDUCATION IS JUST ONE ASPECT OF WHAT CHURCH USES OFFERINGS AND TITHES FOR, AM SURE U KNOW THE CHUCH IN NIGERIA HAS BEEN ALIVE TO ITS RESPONSIBILITIES IN CATERING FOR VICTIMS OF INSURGENCY UPNORTH, FLOODING ACROSS VARIOUS PARTS OF THE NATION.

FOR more info about the character of the personality u criticizing - just have a peep into his lifestyle
http://davidoyedepodayofservice.com/meet-dr-david-oyedepo/

and if you yet to begin touching the lives of even ur family, a bet u should just drop a kind message for a person who has chosen to be an agent of change :
http://davidoyedepodayofservice.com/drop-message/
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 21, 2014
He shud work on his logic. Wat is d relationship btween d amount spent on recharge cards and d school fees? How many Nigerians spend up to N50k a month on recharge card?
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by zicoisaac: 12:42am On Sep 22, 2014
Hello, We are Confidential Realtors Ltd...the complete property service. We are Now Letting Ti Hostel. A 23-Room self contained serviced apartments located @ Odo-Ona elewe, New garage, Ibadan. Type 1: Double Room Single Occupant is N250k. Type 2: Single Room Single Occupant is N225k. These include the services except PHCN bill. Purposely built for Bankers, Staff of Multinationals, Lead City Students, Short Let\Contractors on temporary Assignment in Ibadan, P&G, Bat, etc. Facilities includes All rooms ensuite and well finished, Toilets and shower finished in beautiful colour, Kitchenette with marble tops in each room, wardrobes in matching colours, Hot water supply, fully gated with security staff 24\7, CCTV Monitor, Independent water supply, Back-up Power supply, Porter\reception, Imported security door for each room & prepaid meter for each room. For further Enquiries&sighting: pls call Samuel-08134595718 Akin-08134560286, Balogun-07063616580. https://www.nairaland.com/1913888/now-letting-ti-hostel-ibadan#26501827

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by GboyegaD(m): 1:47am On Sep 22, 2014
proffemi:

A church that decides to operate a below-par university is a disgrace (my opinion). They should either do a good job, or steer the hell clear of university ownership.

In Oyedepo's case, it appears that a driving passion for him, is to show that a world class university can be operated in Nigeria. I may not support his ownership of jets and his opulent lifestyle, but on this issue of Covenant University - once we get beyond the initial debate about whether he should own a university at all - he has done fantastically well.

My opinion sir.

Can you please tell to what extent his universities are world class? I think I lack the understanding of a world class and will appreciate a definition of same.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by erico2k2(m): 4:34am On Sep 22, 2014
QuiverBox:

You can Be in Mars or Jubiter, the internet you are using to post on Nairaland is it Free, you claim to be in England, Mention one thing that you get for free, or " Non Profit as you call it.

You pay for quality Education from Non - religious Organization , but you want religious orgination to be Non Profit.

Since you know so much about where All the organization get their funding, have you told Oyedepo to do same , yet you come to a faceless Forum and Claim to be in England.

It will be good you get the so called funding and come and set your University in Nigeria to give free Education.

I wonder how being in England have to do with teaching someone in Nigeria how to run his Business.

There is no point to be bitter about what I said, Its my opinion which I'm entirely entitled to.Ask anyone who lives abroad they will testify the ways of reasoning goes far beyond the everyday Street man in 9ja.I also live in Nigeria so its a 50-50 thingy.My point is people as soooooo ignorant in Nigeria we worship every aspect of prosperity irrespective of how it emerges.I made suggestion about Cancer Research UK and other non profit organization you failed to read up about them and have no clue what they stand for rather come up with baseless arguments.When you indeed get the opportunity to live in a free world where everybody are equals, your thinking and organizational skills would massively increase. and as such you might just be able to detect when you are being gullible or being fundamentally scammed.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by QuiverBox(f): 5:43am On Sep 22, 2014
erico2k2:
There is no point to be bitter about what I said, Its my opinion which I'm entirely entitled to.Ask anyone who lives abroad they will testify the ways of reasoning goes far beyond the everyday Street man in 9ja.I also live in Nigeria so its a 50-50 thingy.My point is people as soooooo ignorant in Nigeria we worship every aspect of prosperity irrespective of how it emerges.I made suggestion about Cancer Research UK and other non profit organization you failed to read up about them and have no clue what they stand for rather come up with baseless arguments.When you indeed get the opportunity to live in a free world where everybody are equals, your thinking and organizational skills would massively increase. and as such you might just be able to detect when you are being gullible or being fundamentally scammed.

Living in a free world ? Hmmm , u really sound like someone that has worked out his ass to be in England, as u claim , and think a simple discussion like has to make you to shout out and emphasized about you current location. Dude Grow up. Empty Gongs makes the Loudest Noise about their Location.

This is simple, you claim not to be ignorant and know so much , but yet in another Man's Country, when another Man is creating Oppoutunity to for Quality Enducation in Nigeria.

Why are u Bitter about a man's Business. You always make. Refrence to Non Profit Organization, what stops you from seting up one to build a University in Nigeria to run it for free, since you know so much.

Free World, I guess everything is free in England. SMH.

From your Posts on Nairaland , is very obvious you are a Hustler in a England as you claim, selling everyting Sellable.

So Definately you won't Understand what it Means to Build a University and Promote quality Education.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by QuiverBox(f): 5:47am On Sep 22, 2014
erico2k2:

Living in a free world ? Hmmm , u really sound like someone that has worked out his ass to be in England, as u claim , and think a simple discussion like has to make you to shout out and emphasized about you current location. Dude Grow up. Empty Gongs makes the Loudest Noise about their Location.

This is simple, you claim not to be ignorant and know so much , but yet in another Man's Country, when another Man is creating Oppoutunity to for Quality Enducation in Nigeria.

Why are u Bitter about a man's Business. You always make. Refrence to Non Profit Organization, what stops you from seting up one to build a University in Nigeria to run it for free, since you know so much.

Free World, I guess everything is free in England. SMH.

From your Posts on Nairaland , is very obvious you are a Hustler in a England as you claim, selling everyting Sellable.

So Definately you won't Understand what it Means to Build a University and Promote quality Education.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Segunj8(m): 6:10am On Sep 22, 2014
Tithe payers money in action.... Making pastors richer since 1845.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Levelzguy(m): 7:55am On Sep 22, 2014
Do the lecturers working there work for free??did the labourers that built the structures work for free?? Most of the people complaining about exorbitant schools fees and crying more than the bereaved are those that never contributed a dime to the establishment of these schools..I don't see members of the church who really contribute substantially to the development of these institutions making foul-mouthed noise.do you fink mantaining a university is childsplay?ask the public institutions if the subventions they collect from government every month is enough sustain them talk more of a private school..if you think education os expensive,try ignorance
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by brainiac007: 8:05am On Sep 22, 2014
... Oyedepo, who seems to have developed thick skin to many controversial reports about him on the social media, revealed that it is a waste of time to respond to his critics.

He said, “My understanding of opposition, persecution is simply someone’s opinion harshly expressed. Everybody has a right to his opinion. Today, millions follow after Christ but you will be surprised that when you get to Israel some people do not believe that Christ has come.

“People have rights to their opinions. I naturally don’t feel it’s necessary (to respond). The energy I would need to react, I can use it to make moves. I have enough to think about than start running after a man who says you are a fool.

“If he says you are a fool and you are behaving so, then he’s right. If you leave your job and start pursuing somebody who says you are a fool, he has already said so, your going around doesn’t change it. So why going around, why don’t you settle on your job and make moves?

Why are we wasting our time, here. Our comments does not move the manm. Period!

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by tswagg007(m): 8:12am On Sep 22, 2014
Chartey: This man has lost touch with the ordinary Nigerian life. Which "average Nigerian" spends N1million on burials? Even the burials that have budgets of such amounts have the cost borne my many members of the extended family and a single person may not pay more than 100,000. Besides, people don't die in families every year. Children (not even child o) pay sch fees every year. Quality education is expensive, but I don't think all those management courses those private universities offer should be this expensive. Tor, make me sef open church plus related businesses.
lmao,management courses

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 22, 2014
popcykaylah:

which school you attend if I may ask?..your papa is a typical business man ..shaking my head for you.keep paying tithes and offerings for him to build the next school on water..I'm sure they have hypnotized you all.

But it's none of your business..thank you
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 22, 2014
Obipat: . So u don't know ur papa? Sorry is ur name

undecided
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by seunoni34(m): 8:21am On Sep 22, 2014
frosbel: So this heartless man uses money from 80% of his congregation to build universities that 80% of them cannot attend ??

80%? Are you kidding me? Do you know how much it costs to build /run a university? And besides if the supposed 80% contributed to the building fees then it means they will have enough money to send their kids there.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by seunoni34(m): 8:31am On Sep 22, 2014
adconline:
Most poor folks constitute a large percentage of the congregation
and who told you that? I'm very sure you have not been to these church before just like the 99% of the critics on this thread.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by delishpot: 8:43am On Sep 22, 2014
Oh well, to run a private uni with the state of infastructure in naija no be moin moin sha. One needs money to run it. But still yet pkapka, if david can show me a list of 50 students from his church going to that his uni on scholarship, I will quickly stand behind him.
Just 50 from the whole of naija that he is giving free education in his plenty schools, i will greet him well well.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Palacedaughter(f): 9:07am On Sep 22, 2014
kmcutez: I wish his church members will tell him that they cannot afford to pay their tithes as it too expensive. Awon Ole.
The church and the school are different entities. Tithes aren't used to run schools. You pay your tithe into the church. Plus you do that because you want to. If anybody doesn't want to pay tithe into a church because he feels that the pastor is succeeding in his personal business, he should not. Members are never forced to pay tithes my dear (except that is the case in Winners chapel sha o. I don't really know about how their church service is run).
And please I really need to say one more thing. A university establishment is a business. It isn't affiliated with a church. Just because a man is a pastor doesn't mean he cannot own a business. Cut this man some slack and go to the public tertiary institutions. I went to one anyway; mediocrity at its finest!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

50 Courses You Can Study Without Credit In Mathematics / Heritage Ajibola: OAU Student Dies After Falling Into Septic Tank In Her Hostel / JAMB Announces Date For 2019 Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.