Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,717 members, 7,805,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System (14811 Views)

Hilarious Photo Of Government Vs People (pics) / Ahmed Musa Ibeto, Niger Deputy Governor Ejected Out Of Government House / Pictures Of Government House Owerri & its Environs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by kilokeys(m): 10:02am On Sep 22, 2014
u barely see girls on this thread..

sawdust in their skull, most of them..

2 Likes

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by jaymichael(m): 10:05am On Sep 22, 2014
In the American system, the Parliament which comprises of the house of Representatves (lower house) and the Senate (the upper house) both form the Congress. The Congress wields LEGISLATIVE POWERS only. The President is the head of the executive arm of Government which wields executive powers. They Congress performs legislative and oversight functions and act as check on the executive. The congress forms part of the Government alongside the Executive and the Judiciary. The whole system operates on the principle of SEPARATION OF POWER and CHECK and COUNTER CHECK. The Ministers and Cabinet members are not chosen from the Parliament (Congress) The President appoints and the Parliament ratifies the ministerial nominees. Unlike the British system whereby the minister performs Executive, Legislative and POLITICAL functions, the minister under the American (and also Nigerian) Presidential system performs no political functions (because he is not elected) even if he is or was a politician. (sounds tricky right?) Under this system, the congress ratifies Executive appointees (including the Chief Judges), Makes laws and act as check on the executive.

3 Likes

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by agangadiman(m): 10:22am On Sep 22, 2014
both are useless but still better than what nigeria has
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by jaymichael(m): 10:28am On Sep 22, 2014
It is worthy to note here that certain countries adopt different style of Government to suit its local peculiarities so it will be near impossible to say or choose which system is better. The Parliamentary system usually favour a country with a common heritage culture and history. These countries also tend to adopt the UNITARY system of Government in which BRITAIN is a classic example. The Parliamentary system suits its peculiarities. The American Presidential system suits a federal, multi-ethnic, multicultural and heterogeneous country. This is usually to ensure adequate political representation by for all, and to prevent political hegemony. Nigeria inherited The British Parliamentary system of Government and continued with the system in the first republic. The second republic which ushered in the Shagari led Government, saw Nigeria adopt the American Presidential system and still uses up till now. Hence, we refer to Shehu Shagari as Nigeria's first EXECUTIVE PRESIDENT.

3 Likes

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by meforyou1(m): 10:50am On Sep 22, 2014
sheffyUTD:

Please I need more tutorial. Never knew parliamentry system is 'bicameral'.
of course you have the house of lords and house of commons in the UK
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Reference(m): 10:59am On Sep 22, 2014
Has little to do with the way a peoples is ruled. More to do with the way the people rule. No matter the kind of software in a system, if the hardware is not structured to oerform the function, its a total waste of time. A people that cannot recognise where lies the root of its problems cannot possiblly deploy its goverment to tackle it.

We often react to the symptoms - corruption, nepotism, religious fanatism, etc but how do these things invade and dominate our landscape and wreck such devastation. The answer to me is simple. Like in medicine an infection will take root where:

There is an opening,
There is a fertile host and,
There is no resistance.

In summary the sick man has faulty constituency. His body and his life needs overhauling if not there will be an endless cycle of infection and treatment untill final unredeemable failure.

Just one example. The primary defence of a country are its people. The people should have a common objective, a common identity no matter how diverse the society is. The people should be structured, hard-wired to certain nationalistic tendencies. But what do we have in Nigeria. We have nothing that unites us except, perhaps football for 90 minutes. Yet people will cross our borders without a simple response simply because they perhaps share religion or ethnicity or history or culture or whatever.

No type of government democratic, autocratic, even military will be able to secure the integrity of a country if the peoples are constituent this way. To maintain societal rigidity, it has to be restructured. Sometimes by adding elements for instance adding water to powdered cement to turn it into a solid or by intricate weaving that makes weak silk threads into a durable fabric. No government can legislate this. It is a choice the peoples. A free will to breakdown certain barriers and create new ways of co-existing. Then and only then will government of whatever kind be able to function effectively. A peoples is like a horse and the goverment the jockey. It takes the two to win. That's why I'm oft reluctant to blame government for all that happens in society today. There are many things that are so fundamentally wrong that can only be fundamentally resolved. An example:

A Liberian came into Nigeria with Ebola. Government's fault. Yes. It then spread to Portharcourt by invitation. Who's fault - the person....peoples.
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by fyneboi79(m): 11:04am On Sep 22, 2014
donnypool: Hello Guys

I was just wondering if any body has knowledge on parliament vs congressional system of government, and tell us which is preferable with proof

where are all my politicians?

Thank You
Parliamentary system ‎u mean?Go and get any Government text book to get d full explanations of the two. Pls edit ‎​dat word "Parliamental".
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by SpencerLewis(m): 11:08am On Sep 22, 2014
donnypool: Hello Guys

I was just wondering if any body has knowledge on parliament vs congressional system of government, and tell us which is preferable with proof

where are all my politicians?

Thank You
@op, there is nothing like congressional system of government. It is the parliamentary (or or cabinet) and the presidential systems of government. Congress is just the name they gave to their parliament and not a system of government. Both systems are good and it depends on the sincerity of the people operating them. None will work in Nigeria b/c of the deceit, corruption and an insincerity of the players in the political arena. Even if Jesus The Christ is to preside over as INEC chairman in Nigeria, no system will ever work with these sets of greedy, selfish and corrupted set of people we called politicians.
Therefore, I SpecerLewis (aka Lucifer son of the morning) is advocating bloody revolution, whereby these sets of greedy politicians (past & present) will be sent to the gallows. Bring all American citizens to Nigeria & take all Nigerian to America, their presidential system can never work as far as we are the ones over there.
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 22, 2014
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by richol(m): 11:15am On Sep 22, 2014
Blaqsmith: I will go for the American's Congress system of Government because it makes for equal representation and well passage of bills.

British's is more dictatorial in nature and the issue of collective responsibility is also a lapse.

I stand to be corrected.
correct
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by vascey(m): 12:02pm On Sep 22, 2014
None!

The British parliamentary system obviously doesn't fit as we do not have the same variables, House of Lords and all.

Propagation of the American model of democracy, in my opinion, is one of the great causes of underdevelopment and crisis in many countries today.

Democracy is obviously good. However, it may be better if the democratic institution in each country is an adapted version of "American democracy", suitable to their people.
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by oncheckent: 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
bushdoc9919: Well, here it is briefly

In the British system....the people vote for their representatives, who take their seats in parliament, the equivalent of our national assembly.
Then said representatives from the Party which has the higher number of seats choose the Party Leader(who is also a member of Parliament) as the Prime Minister.(If the majority Party does not get above a certain threshold of seats...it may either form a minority government...Labour's 1976 govt, or a Coalition government....the current Conservative-Liberal Democrat Government).

Also, the British system is bi-camereal...two houses...the House of Commons which is (commonly)referred to as the Parliament or just plain Commons, and the House of Lords , which is made up of the hereditary Lords (or traditional chiefs, roughly speaking). Commons chooses the Prime Minister...who is then approved by HM the Queen.(in a formal ceremony known as kissing of hands). Lords used to be more powerful and could overrule the Commons, but reforms brought in in the 90's have reduced its powers.(one of Tony Blair's good ideas).you are very wrong, I mean so so wrong. The said change was way back in the time of king George1. Go and read your books again for the year.

The Americans have Congress, which is bicameral...the House of Representatives and the Senate. The Representatives and Senators are chosen by direct election. The President of the US is chosen by a separate election. Unlike the UK...the President need not come from the majority party in Congress....and the majority party in the Senate may be different from the majority party in the House. (Like right now...the Democrats control the Senate...and the Republicans the House)

I have no preferences. Though in the Nigerian setup, the American system works better because the Parliamentary system unfortunately gets easily compromised by tribalism.The American system also forces the Opposition to compromise with the Ruling party or vice versa.
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
kilokeys: u barely see girls on this thread..

Actually we prefer not to engage with the sexist and aggressive BOYS on Nairaland and have to suffer endless mentions calling us slut and bítch, as the mods pretend not to notice. And a thread like this is definitely not worth that. No offense OP, but this is what Google and Wikipedia are for. Where do you think people are getting their answers?

Unless you want to discuss opinion on which is better, I guess.

1 Like

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by erico2k2(m): 12:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
Blaqsmith: I will go for the American's Congress system of Government because it makes for equal representation and well passage of bills.

British's is more dictatorial in nature and the issue of collective responsibility is also a lapse.

I stand to be corrected.
And where did you get that from?Is that what you where thought at secondary school?
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 22, 2014
Symphony007: correction. It makes for uunecessary deadlock and disgusting party politics. Since 2010, the democratic control senate has not passed a bill that the repubican control house has taken up. They've both park the bus and have taken deep extreamist sides. They can't pass budgets, immigration bills, they've shut down the government once, have even almost defaulted on the u.s debt. If you ask americans, they'll take an efficent single party government over a deadlock two party government.

We wouldn't, actually. The two party system is the cornerstone of America political system. It keeps both parties on their toes because they know if they mess up, it actually MATTERS. They will lose votes.

The problem is when you have what is called a "divided government".

a divided government describes a situation in which one party controls the White House and another party controls one or both houses of the United States Congress, thus leading to Congressional gridlock.

That is not a result of the two party system, but of the separation of powers.

1 Like

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by erico2k2(m): 12:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
richol: correct
Dont just say correct at other people's opinion, you might be wrong as the case is here, if you did Government in secondary school you will know that there is no system of Govt in the world called Congress system of government rather the USA has a system we all know to be PRESIDENTIAL SYSTEM. so the Americans has same system as we do in Nigeria.Like someone said before they named their parliament congress.
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 22, 2014
bushdoc9919:

A lot of negative examples exist elsewhere....try Pinochet of Chile, and the Kim Dynasty of North Korea...especially Kim Jong Ill.

Park of South Korea is a ''positive example'' because he transformed South Korea from backwater dependency of the US in 1961 to industrial nation by 1979. Sadly most Afrcan dictators, even the ''good ones'' like Ghaddafi failed in that department.

i know. Just wanted to say that africa does not benefit from any of the types of govt. Be it parliamentary congressional or dictatorship. All na wash for us. We should go back to the days of village elders grin
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by kilokeys(m): 1:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
MissMeiya:

Actually we prefer not to engage with the sexist and aggressive BOYS on Nairaland and have to suffer endless mentions calling us slut and bítch, as the mods pretend not to notice. And a thread like this is definitely not worth that. No offense OP, but this is what Google and Wikipedia are for. Where do you think people are getting their answers?

Unless you want to discuss opinion on which is better, I guess.

lol.. i get u. no blame we guys ehn.. its primal to show off and intimidate esp behind screens.. most r actually gentlemen in real life. the post in question no too concern us.. if there is anything worthy of note it should be, the depth of corruption in naija.. for example, we cant employ the jury system in our law enforcement. there is a tendency for bribery and manipulations. i wish more girls would be this inquisitive.
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by YourCoffin: 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2014
A combination of both is called what?
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by synergycom19: 1:38pm On Sep 22, 2014
The British System is better because of th following
1, it reduces the overall cost of elections, because no seperate election materials,staffs and logistics including administrative expense will be incured in conducting separate election for prime minister or president
2, It reduces the cost of governance, by making the process service oriented
3, The prime minister of only privileged and therefire will be hnmble to honour any summons from the Rep's
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
ilohemmy: @Donnypool, politically i must let u know the fact that any system of government is perfect is perfect and preferable when it has a good runing by the government,,, so weda parliamental or congressional is preferable

YES I KNOW. I have been having this argument with some of my canadian friends because they both have good government and both follow due processes. But steven harper canadian prime minister thinks he is a god and since they pratice the british system, he is untouchable.
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
jaymichael: It is worthy to note here that certain countries adopt different style of Government to suit its local peculiarities so it will be near impossible to say or choose which system is better. The Parliamentary system usually favour a country with a common heritage culture and history. These countries also tend to adopt the UNITARY system of Government in which BRITAIN is a classic example. The Parliamentary system suits its peculiarities. The American Presidential system suits a federal, multi-ethnic, multicultural and heterogeneous country. This is usually to ensure adequate political representation by for all, and to prevent political hegemony. Nigeria inherited The British Parliamentary system of Government and continued with the system in the first republic. The second republic which ushered in the Shagari led Government, saw Nigeria adopt the American Presidential system and still uses up till now. Hence, we refer to Shehu Shagari as Nigeria's first EXECUTIVE PRESIDENT.
your prologue is a masterpiece. no system is completely perfect or suitable for any or all societies, but rather adapted to suit the peculiarities of the said society. A well thought-out parliamentary system can work without hitches in a federal typo state, what matters is the political dexterity of those involved in the political discuss. Therefore, both the Federal/presidential system and the parliamentary system with adjustments can work in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Ghost01(m): 2:25pm On Sep 22, 2014
You want a system where the ministers are accountable to the people and not to an Oga at the Top, the parliamentary system is the way to go.

You want a system that allows for more transparency and accountability, the parliamentary system is the way to go.

You want a system where policies are hotly debated in public by policy makers, the parliamentary system is the way to go.

1 Like

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Bre(f): 3:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
kilokeys: u barely see girls on this thread..

Yet we stay on your mind, clearly. What has the number of girls comme... you know what, forget you sef.

Anyway, @OP, it seems like you came to have Nairaland do a homework assignment for you. Well played, sir. Well played grin

1 Like

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by kilokeys(m): 4:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bre:

Yet we stay on your mind, clearly. What has the number of girls comme... you know what, forget you sef.

Anyway, @OP, it seems like you came to have Nairaland do a homework assignment for you. Well played, sir. Well played grin

wow i am honored to have u quote me.. 14th comment since 2010.. wow cool wink
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Bre(f): 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
kilokeys:

wow i am honored to have u quote me.. 14th comment since 2010.. wow cool wink

Clown. undecided

1 Like

Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by kilokeys(m): 5:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
Bre:

Clown. undecided
i must send a pm.. only me.. check out d probability na. 15 posts in 4 years.. an average of 3 psts per year.. and i am getting two in an hour. kiss
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by karkel(m): 5:05pm On Sep 22, 2014
bushdoc9919: Well, here it is briefly

In the British system....the people vote for their representatives, who take their seats in parliament, the equivalent of our national assembly.
Then said representatives from the Party which has the higher number of seats choose the Party Leader(who is also a member of Parliament) as the Prime Minister.(If the majority Party does not get above a certain threshold of seats...it may either form a minority government...Labour's 1976 govt, or a Coalition government....the current Conservative-Liberal Democrat Government).

Also, the British system is bi-camereal...two houses...the House of Commons which is (commonly)referred to as the Parliament or just plain Commons, and the House of Lords , which is made up of the hereditary Lords (or traditional chiefs, roughly speaking). Commons chooses the Prime Minister...who is then approved by HM the Queen.(in a formal ceremony known as kissing of hands). Lords used to be more powerful and could overrule the Commons, but reforms brought in in the 90's have reduced its powers.(one of Tony Blair's good ideas).

The Americans have Congress, which is bicameral...the House of Representatives and the Senate. The Representatives and Senators are chosen by direct election. The President of the US is chosen by a separate election. Unlike the UK...the President need not come from the majority party in Congress....and the majority party in the Senate may be different from the majority party in the House. (Like right now...the Democrats control the Senate...and the Republicans the House)

I have no preferences. Though in the Nigerian setup, the American system works better because the Parliamentary system unfortunately gets easily compromised by tribalism.The American system also forces the Opposition to compromise with the Ruling party or vice versa.
non of this will work for Nigeria.. ........ ......let me form the type of party system dat will work for our dear kantry
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by daryoor(m): 5:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
if American practiced parliamentary system, mitt Romney could have been the leader of America... that olodo.

if nigeria were parliamentary atiku would be the next leader of nigeria.

"" "". "".... the national Assembly will not let the President perform as they will keep calling him to defend his policy
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by university210(m): 7:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
The main difference is:Parliamentary sysytem of Government fits in for a Nation-state dat is homogenous in Nature,smal,their head of state is always refered to as Prime Minister(PM)..while for the Presidential or federal system it commonly operated among Nation-state that Is complex,heterogeneous(made of different ethnic group)etc and it head of state is also commonly called President .As you all know Nigeria is Heterogeneous in Nature and it fits for the Congressional System of government but Not an extreme type like America.
Re: British Parliamental System Of Government Vs The American Congressional System by Tolubory(m): 7:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
Nigerian Parliamentary System Of Government.
Because its easy to run.
To ba ti ko Million je O ma lo free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ask Any Question About Ghana. / This Is Onitsha! / Ibos React With Hashtags

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.