Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? (22134 Views)

Photo: Could This Be The Reason Why Students Of Mathematics Fail Exams? / Schools Debate: Science Courses So Special Compare To Arts Course? / The Secret Of Mathematics Exposed Using Casio Fx-991ms Calculator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Mbkite(m): 11:01pm On Sep 22, 2014
[quote
author=davestead]
WAEC has started including further Maths like Cordinate geometry,
matrices, differenciation and integration and its applications in SSCE
syllables. Get any latest New General Mathematics and confirm
this.[/quote]

Thats nice
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mytym(m): 11:35pm On Sep 22, 2014
dhammyg:
I DISAGREE.THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO ENHANCE DEEP REASONING MATHS &LITERATURE ARE ONE OF THOSE TWO.AND SINCE ARTS STUDENTS ARE ALREADY DOING LITERATURE WE SHOULDN'T BE BURDENED WITH MATHSangry

IF U DOUBT WHAT AM SAYING ABOUT LITERATURE GO AND STUDY LITERATURE 4 A WHILEwink

You may not be completely wrong as everything will eventually narrow down to the individual interests and some other cognitive factors. Need i say that my secondary school syllabus then (over a decade ago dunno if its still operating) was designed such that everybody did ALL subjects in science/art/commercial till the end of SS2. As a science student i did 17subjects and at the end of SS2 i was the overall best in 'ironically' two distant subjects -Physics and Literature...(performed woefully in some 'less-concerned-subjects'). However faintly, i still can recall line-for-line some of the prose/drama and their respective background interpretations.
Even though my first love is Engineering as I'm a practicing engr, i still nurse the interest of studying Law if i ever get the time nd resources.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by olajobsmaster(m): 8:59am On Sep 23, 2014
Mathematics and Arts does have a long historical relationship. The ancient Egyptians and Greeks knew about ratios and regarded them as being aesthetically pleasing to the sight and mind.

I quite agree with @ZUBY77 on his point. And @Iamsynord I don't think Mathematics should be scrapped from the Arts academic syllabus at all.
Rather, it should be encouraged. Did you know, that the famous Leonardo da Vinci made use of mathematics in his work? Even in modern times, artists are using mathematical forms extensively to develop new painting styles.

Let's also look at it from another broader perspective, the Labour Market.
Imagine an Arts graduate on a Job hunt and at the interview, he is given a test on mental prowess and problem solving skills, how would he cope?
Employers and managers today know that Mathematics and Arithmetic logic is key for mental development of any individual.

Any Arts graduate in the house searching for a job?
Check this out: http://jobsmaster.com.ng/Art-And-Media-jobs-in-nigeria.html/

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by adex2000ng(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2014
Maths is beneficial for everyone be it science or art students. One basic area we deployed d use of maths in my famly was in our personal building, particularly in the calculation of d aluminium roofing.

We were about to be subchanged when we applyed the use of simple pythagoras theorem to calculate the number of wood and the required square metre of the aluminium roofing sheet. By dat we were able to save over N1,000,000.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by NifemiOlu(m): 1:06pm On Sep 23, 2014
At the sound of Mathematics, all Arts students...*Usain Bolt*
I avoided Maths as much as possible. I studied English in the University so as to avoid anything Mathematical but when I started my second degree *gbam* na so Maths and Statistics drop for my laps (because of Research methodology) You will always need Maths except you're not interested in further studies.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by thobyiano(m): 11:27pm On Sep 23, 2014
Na simple maths you dey mention so, what is integration applicable to in Law?
fuckluv: Why re-write WAEC 6 times just because of maths? That guy needs to be flogged.

On a lighter note, if you want to explore the "journalism field" for example, you just have to know "something" about "everything". Truly understanding numbers and being able to clearly convey their meaning to readers is a crucial part of being a journalist.

What if you want to report an election proceedings?
You should have a working knowledge of arithmetic, be comfortable with statistics and be able to calculate percentages, ratios and other relationships between numbers. You should also understand what margin of error in polling is, have a basic understanding of probability and be able to work with graphs and charts. And, most importantly, you should be able to use this knowledge to help your readers better understand the issues at hand.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by tomiobj(m): 4:50am On Sep 25, 2014
Iamsynord: Most students in Art class are generally not good in maths but they are forced to pass it after all..
I know of a Particular boy that had to rewrite waec 6 times just because of Maths despite having As and Bus in the other subjects..
This bring the question of whether mathematics is as important to arts students as it is to other class and that it should be scrapped from d core subjects that one must get at least C ,in our SSCE exams since Arts mainly as to do with talk ,writing and reading instead of the confusing algorithm, phytagoras, bodmas and solving evident in Mathematics..
What is your own view of this
the reason they made maths compulsory for art students is because many people go to arts to run away from maths. So they just kept the stupid law to keep people in science. Just like most parents want their kids to be engineers nd doctors
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by tomiobj(m): 4:51am On Sep 25, 2014
eleojo23: Maths is important for critical thinking.

It exercises the brain and sharpen your thinking skills.
It helps us recognise patterns and to understand the world around us.

The knowledge of maths produces numeracy just as the knowledge of languages (English language for instance) produces literacy.

Here are some examples of what I
mean by numeracy:
(a) Being able to critically assess statistics.
(b) Being able to manage family/personal budgets , purchases and business transactions.
(c) Being able to estimate – in all kinds of situations, e.g. journey speed, time and distance, roughly how much a bill will be or your expected bank balance at the end of the month...
#story for the gods. As if 9 yrs isn't enof
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 27, 2014
iceberylin: Its barely important for Science Students...

Wonder when w'll stop searching for "X" embarassed
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 10:55am On Apr 05, 2015
oo

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Official JAMB Registration Date For 2019 UTME Form Announced / Boarding School Vs Day School: Which Is Better? / FUNAAB Students Beat A Thief Who Stole Tecno Phone (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.