Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:03 AM

10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry (44758 Views)

14 Signs You’re Not Drinking Enough Water / 10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / Men: Experts Say You’re Overweight If You Can’t See Your Joystick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by olempe(m): 11:28am On Sep 22, 2014
kilokeys: wetin i go come do?... jump inside well?

most of d points above are actually tension relievers..

mtcheew.. if i vex now ehn.. u go hear whhhiiiiin

grin cheesy
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Okeikpu(m): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2014
Toybreezy: Getting into a heated argument doesn’t just put you in a bad mood. It can also compromise your ability to perform everyday tasks—like driving—in ways that could be dangerous for you or the people around you. Here, top experts discuss what you should never do when under the influence of anger, with tips for regaining your composure.

1)You shouldn’t sleep on it
The saying “never go to bed angry” is valid advice. Going to sleep may reinforce or “preserve” negative emotions, suggests a study in the Journal of Neuroscience, which found that sleep enhances memories, particularly emotional ones. “We are learning that sleep seems to help us process and consolidate information we acquire while we are awake,” says Allen Towfigh, MD, a New York City-based board certified sleep medicine doctor and neurologist. So going to bed after an argument will likely cause that experience to be consolidated more effectively than if you went on to remain awake for that same eight-hour period, says Dr. Towfigh.

2)You shouldn’t drive
Operating a motor vehicle when you’re enraged can be dangerous. Research shows that angry drivers take more risks and have more accidents. “When you’re angry, you’re primed for attack, so it’s not a good time to jump in a vehicle,” says David Narang, PhD, a clinical psychologist in Santa Monica, Calif. “In addition, anger gives a person tunnel vision—you stare straight ahead and may not see a pedestrian or another car coming into your peripheral vision crossing the street.” If you must drive when angry, Narang suggests opening your eyes purposefully and looking around you to avoid tunnel vision.

3)You shouldn’t vent
Getting anger off your chest sounds like a good idea, but it may actually make matters worse. In fact, people who simply spent five minutes reading another person’s online rants became angrier and less happy in a study published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking. An earlier study also showed that venting anger by hitting pillows not only increased anger at that moment but made aggressive behavior more likely in the future. “They feel validated in what they’re saying by venting,” says Narang, “but they’re not less angry

4)You shouldn’t eat
Soothing your anger by reaching for food can backfire in a couple of ways, says Kathy Gruver, PhD, author ofConquer Your Stress With Mind/Body Techniques. “When we are angry, we often make unhealthy food choices,” she says. “No one ever reaches for broccoli. We go for the high-sugar, high-fat, carbohydrate-loaded comfort foods.” In addition, a heightened state of emotions sparks the fight or flight response, where the body thinks it’s in danger. In such a state, digestion takes a backseat to the “emergency” at hand and does not function optimally, says Gruver. This may result in diarrhea or constipation.

5)You shouldn’t keep arguing
Staying in the conversation when you have difficulty modulating your anger makes it likely you’ll say things you’ll regret, says Christine M. Allen, PhD, psychologist and coach from Syracuse, NY. “If it’s possible you will say hurtful things that you’ll regret and can’t take back, ask for a ‘time out’ with intention to come back to the conversation,” she suggests. You may need 10 minutes or 10 days. “It’s the willingness to come back to the conversation and initiate that is key,” Allen says. Use the time out to actively calm the mind and the body so that you express yourself in a more mindful, intentional manner.

6)You shouldn’t post about your conflict on Facebook
When you’re angry, broadcasting your feelings to your friends and family on Facebook and other social networks will more than likely come back to haunt you, says Narang. “Posting something publicly can’t be taken back,” he says.

7)You shouldn’t drink alcohol
Reaching for a glass of wine to calm yourself down after an angry encounter often does the opposite, says Narang. “Alcohol makes it more likely you’ll act out your anger because it removes impulse control.” Alcohol lowers inhibitions by acting on the frontal lobes of the brain, which are responsible for controlling the impulses that prevent us from giving in to urges to harm others or ourselves. “This may lead to more permanent destruction by doing things you’ll regret, all from a temporary emotion,” says Narang.

coolYou shouldn’t ruminate
Obsessively thinking about ways the other person harmed you or was unfair to you—known as rumination—does not resolve anything, says Allen. If you find yourself on the receiving end of someone else’s anger, you may be able to calm them down by first keeping your own cool, says Narang. Start out talking to the angry person in a manner that matches his or her level of emotion and then gradually become calmer and steadier as you speak to them. “This leads them to a calmer place,” says Narang.

This originaly appeared on health.con
Don't do dis,don't do that...wtf! We do dis stuffs cos we're human...
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Militaryzone(m): 11:50am On Sep 22, 2014
[quote author=kilokeys] You funny die! Lolz
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by youngelder(m): 11:51am On Sep 22, 2014
Even Bible advises.. 'do not befriend an angry man'
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Zeeworld: 12:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
Lacking wisdom,

As a child of God you must not be angry at all, and if anyone eventually offend you, you must not let the sun go down on your anger before you forgive and forget.

You are outrighly saying alcohol is good but not when you are angry?

Repent the kingdom of God is at hand
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Hero10001: 12:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
"You don't make decisions when you'r angry"
That's the way to live.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Tolubory(m): 12:12pm On Sep 22, 2014
Whenever am Angry
I usually listen to Music to sooth my soul....
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Charles4075(m): 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2014
Whenever I'm angry, I keep myself busy with this. And the pads receives the pains as well as the characters.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Originalsly: 12:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hmmm....I agree with all those points.....make sense.....but not when I'm angry...they all get lost in d anger!
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Josh316(m): 12:52pm On Sep 22, 2014
One of the things not to do when angry...

DO NOT HUG A TRANSFORMER... IT WILL KILL YOU
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by hisableplc(m): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2014
I keep silent it works for me try it
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Richy4(m): 1:30pm On Sep 22, 2014
If someone offends you in your place of work, do you abandon your car there and follow the bus?
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by whatsmyname(m): 1:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
Josh316: One of the things not to do when angry...

DO NOT HUG A TRANSFORMER... IT WILL KILL YOU

You are wrong!!! angry If you do so when there is no supply of power, it will not. tongue

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Josh316(m): 1:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
whatsmyname:

You are wrong!!! If you do so when there is no supply of power, it will not.

Haaa bros, when angry, you no go remember say NEPA just bring light... na to hug am... unto death..lol
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by ezeonline2(m): 1:54pm On Sep 22, 2014
Toybreezy:

When you get angry pick a pen andd note and sttart writing CHILL continously in capital letters. It works write it abour 200 times before u do anything else.if there is no paper count from 100 to 1 #thatsjusthowifeel
on point
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by inositol88(m): 2:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
Iceking1: KINDLY SPARE SOME TIME AND READ THIS, I KNOW THE INDOMIE GENERATION WILL GET CONFUSED HERE !!!!

*I Miss
those days when we went to school, lined up & the
headmistress & teachers inspect our nails & uniform
& then we match to our classrooms...Yo u Remember na??
*Those days of Nasco Biscuit, Okin Biscuit, disgestive biscuit, coconut biscuit speedy biscuit, Trebor, Iced Colored water tied in nylon which we called "lolly" *The days of Goody- Goody & Pako
Biscuit, kulikuli and dankuya *The days of Ali & Simbi, Mr Salami & Mrs
Salami, Agbo lives in Calabar....Edet is a boy *Those
days when we wear 5shirts and put carton in our
nicker to avoid much pain when we are flogged
*Those days when we sneak out of school to pluck Mangoes *Those days when we feign illness just to
dodge farm work(lol) *Chei, I also remember those
days when one naira na CORRECT money, when
groundnut was 5kobo & Choco Milo Sweet was 5
kobo *Those days of messing game,who is in the
garden, police catch thief, fire on the mountain, etc.. *Those days when we use to build houses with sand, play suwe and king game, tinco tinco,change ur style, ten ten,
skipping, who do u want to marry marry who do u want to marry superdy !.... U remember nah!!! *Those days
when we used do and move boris motor those days wen we used to fly kite on streets, when boys used
to use the paint bucket cover as tire & their daddy's
hanger as the steering *Those days when rubber band was stock exchange!! *Those days when
Votron, Jimbo, Power Rangers and Spider Man were
our favourite cartoons *Those days of Limca and gold spot soft
drinks & Choco Milo advert on black & white TV +
sunday rendevous by 1:30pm *Those days when we
used say 'leke leke give me white finger' *Those days when Eleganza Pen was the best *Those days when
we used to drink water from the tap and even suck
out the water if it's not coming out *Those days
when NTA will show rainbow color for 30 minutes,
then national anthem before they resume program @
4pm *Those days when Basket sandals, Simbi & Bata sandals were the best *Those days we used to shout
"airplane throw bag of money for me" *Those days
when we all sing sandalili sandalili... DSTV has come.
No more old fun.I'm really proud to have
experienced all this. If you are not smiling, it means
you belong to the Indomie generation...

oh my brother, u just relieved me of my anger, u just put a smile on my face with those wonderful memories.
those days wen u wud sit round in de evening to hear stories from grandma and granddad, those days wen u make bamboo motor, slippers motor and Ur tyre was Ur Jeep, n much more

indomie kids, una miss a lot
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by folu4real(f): 2:29pm On Sep 22, 2014
I totally agree with number 6
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by alexis007(m): 2:38pm On Sep 22, 2014
...biko...in ur anger....no pick bottle...i'm on my knees begging[sobs]....b4 person go re-create im follow human being head..
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 22, 2014
Nr.6
When people do that it's time for popcorn cheesy
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by sirgreen: 4:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
Iceking1: KINDLY SPARE SOME TIME AND READ THIS, I KNOW THE INDOMIE GENERATION WILL GET CONFUSED HERE !!!!

*I Miss
*Those days of Nasco Biscuit, Okin Biscuit, disgestive biscuit, coconut biscuit speedy biscuit, Trebor, Iced Colored water tied in nylon which we called "lolly" *The days of Goody- Goody & Pako
*Those days when we sneak out of school to pluck Mangoes *Those days when we feign illness just to
garden, police catch thief, fire on the mountain, etc.. *Those days when we use to build houses with sand, play suwe and king game, tinco tinco,change ur style, ten ten,
skipping, who do u want to marry marry who do u want to marry superdy !.... U remember nah!!! *Those days
when we used do and move boris motor those days wen we used to fly kite on streets, when boys used
hanger as the steering *Those days when rubber band was stock exchange!! *Those days when
used say 'leke leke give me white finger' *Those days when Eleganza Pen was the best *Those days when
4pm *Those days when Basket sandals, Simbi & Bata sandals were the best *Those days we used to shout

my guy u are too intelligent to have remembered all old days, u just put a smile on my face with those wonderful memories.
those days wen u going to school with 10kobo is like going to school 2thousand, those days wen u make buying and eaten moimoi in the lilon is like been a millionaire, those days wen making masquerade with plantain is fun
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by romzyxy(m): 5:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
my anger come mostly from jealousy but nw i can control it.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by romzyxy(m): 5:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
my anger comes mostly from jealousy but nw i can control it.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by cutiesoglam(f): 5:57pm On Sep 22, 2014
grayht: Rubbish!
If all these didn't make sense to u, I wonder what does?...maybe u r a passive-aggresive person who loves anger spirit.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Mrval20(m): 6:00pm On Sep 22, 2014
Damsman10:

use subzero in mortal kombat d next time u r angry
You know how it works, bro!
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by TWEETFELLA: 6:03pm On Sep 22, 2014

*I Miss
play play grin
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by DaWorshiper(m): 6:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
dlex21: I rarely get angry... And if I do, 10mins is too much to forget about what made me angry...

Life is too short to worry about unnecessary things
Yeah! Same with me.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by teeghurl(f): 8:00pm On Sep 22, 2014
So what should we do? U're talking as if u're nt a human being. Maybe u're frm anoda planet sha
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by continentalceo(m): 11:09pm On Sep 22, 2014
Toybreezy: Getting into a heated argument doesn’t just put you in a bad mood. It can also compromise your ability to perform everyday tasks—like driving—in ways that could be dangerous for you or the people around you. Here, top experts discuss what you should never do when under the influence of anger, with tips for regaining your composure.

1)You shouldn’t sleep on it
The saying “never go to bed angry” is valid advice. Going to sleep may reinforce or “preserve” negative emotions, suggests a study in the Journal of Neuroscience, which found that sleep enhances memories, particularly emotional ones. “We are learning that sleep seems to help us process and consolidate information we acquire while we are awake,” says Allen Towfigh, MD, a New York City-based board certified sleep medicine doctor and neurologist. So going to bed after an argument will likely cause that experience to be consolidated more effectively than if you went on to remain awake for that same eight-hour period, says Dr. Towfigh.

2)You shouldn’t drive
Operating a motor vehicle when you’re enraged can be dangerous. Research shows that angry drivers take more risks and have more accidents. “When you’re angry, you’re primed for attack, so it’s not a good time to jump in a vehicle,” says David Narang, PhD, a clinical psychologist in Santa Monica, Calif. “In addition, anger gives a person tunnel vision—you stare straight ahead and may not see a pedestrian or another car coming into your peripheral vision crossing the street.” If you must drive when angry, Narang suggests opening your eyes purposefully and looking around you to avoid tunnel vision.

3)You shouldn’t vent
Getting anger off your chest sounds like a good idea, but it may actually make matters worse. In fact, people who simply spent five minutes reading another person’s online rants became angrier and less happy in a study published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking. An earlier study also showed that venting anger by hitting pillows not only increased anger at that moment but made aggressive behavior more likely in the future. “They feel validated in what they’re saying by venting,” says Narang, “but they’re not less angry

4)You shouldn’t eat
Soothing your anger by reaching for food can backfire in a couple of ways, says Kathy Gruver, PhD, author ofConquer Your Stress With Mind/Body Techniques. “When we are angry, we often make unhealthy food choices,” she says. “No one ever reaches for broccoli. We go for the high-sugar, high-fat, carbohydrate-loaded comfort foods.” In addition, a heightened state of emotions sparks the fight or flight response, where the body thinks it’s in danger. In such a state, digestion takes a backseat to the “emergency” at hand and does not function optimally, says Gruver. This may result in diarrhea or constipation.

5)You shouldn’t keep arguing
Staying in the conversation when you have difficulty modulating your anger makes it likely you’ll say things you’ll regret, says Christine M. Allen, PhD, psychologist and coach from Syracuse, NY. “If it’s possible you will say hurtful things that you’ll regret and can’t take back, ask for a ‘time out’ with intention to come back to the conversation,” she suggests. You may need 10 minutes or 10 days. “It’s the willingness to come back to the conversation and initiate that is key,” Allen says. Use the time out to actively calm the mind and the body so that you express yourself in a more mindful, intentional manner.

6)You shouldn’t post about your conflict on Facebook
When you’re angry, broadcasting your feelings to your friends and family on Facebook and other social networks will more than likely come back to haunt you, says Narang. “Posting something publicly can’t be taken back,” he says.

7)You shouldn’t drink alcohol
Reaching for a glass of wine to calm yourself down after an angry encounter often does the opposite, says Narang. “Alcohol makes it more likely you’ll act out your anger because it removes impulse control.” Alcohol lowers inhibitions by acting on the frontal lobes of the brain, which are responsible for controlling the impulses that prevent us from giving in to urges to harm others or ourselves. “This may lead to more permanent destruction by doing things you’ll regret, all from a temporary emotion,” says Narang.

coolYou shouldn’t ruminate
Obsessively thinking about ways the other person harmed you or was unfair to you—known as rumination—does not resolve anything, says Allen. If you find yourself on the receiving end of someone else’s anger, you may be able to calm them down by first keeping your own cool, says Narang. Start out talking to the angry person in a manner that matches his or her level of emotion and then gradually become calmer and steadier as you speak to them. “This leads them to a calmer place,” says Narang.

This originaly appeared on health.con

Powerful article! Really learnt alot

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by suptol(m): 11:23pm On Sep 22, 2014
For your satisfied, classical graphic designs, kindly contact Suptol Designs. A brand for the job.

Below is a link to his portfolio and contact details.

https://www.nairaland.com/1841535/suptol-designs-portfolio
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by JJKADRY(m): 8:16am On Sep 23, 2014
And, have u ever noticed that, beginning of anger is madness and the end is regression?

pls, don't be angry bros!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by davedan88(m): 12:29pm On Sep 23, 2014
abeg tell my girlfrd Esther Ogidi, her own vex no b for heree o..... thank you nairaland for dis wonderful advice weh ena bring come.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Young Bowen University Lecturer Dies 2 Days After Giving Birth (pics) / Nigerian Woman Who Was Pregnant For 3 Years Finally Gives Birth. Photos / COVID-19: The Scramble To Save Femi Odekunle’s Life Yielded 170 Oxygen Cylinders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.