Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,969 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks (29460 Views)

Saraki Commissions Remodelled Senate Press Centre In Abuja (photos) / Pictures Of All Remodelled Airports Across The Country / Pictures Of The Remodelled Benin Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by jackal001: 10:54am On Sep 22, 2014
Johnpaul2k2: LASG and Punch Newspaper are just some piece of sh!!t angry

so, they cannot renovate the roof and changes the AC?

why asking stella name? Sometimes i wonder where all these "dirty politics" will lead APshit into?

OMG so some people can display this level of ignorance and stupidity? Pls ask questions and make findings before you go public with ur gross ignorance. MMA in Lagos is a federal government facility and LASG has no hand whatsoever in it's business. Have u not heard of the enormous amount of threats, abuses , etc. whenever state governments want to repair a federal infrastructure (esp roads) in their states. Can't you remember what fmr Works minister Ogunlewe was threatening to do to the LASG then when they attempted repairing a federal road free of charge and not asking for a refund from FG. This is one of those pathetic reasons Nigeria will ever remain backward when people celebrate mediocrity and see nothing wrong with all the terrible quality things that are flooded all over the country. This is not about APC or PDP, it's about the mentality in Nigeria that substandard things reign supreme regardless of who is doing it, yet people are singing them to high heavens. For ur info I'm not from south west so don't think am playing to the gallery like you

4 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Forwetinnah: 10:54am On Sep 22, 2014
KIRIJI: Comon sense is not comon
Is it the prerogative of Punch news paper and the Lagos state government to renovate a federal airport.

Below is the present condition of the Enugu airport that was built during the ministerial administration of STEALER oduah. I guess you would also ask the Enugu state government to renovate it

Oga Google is your friend. ..try googling flooded airports and see the results even from the most sophisticated countries just this year alone for yourself. Hope your personal interpol is ready to arrest the government of those countries?

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by olaeffect(m): 11:08am On Sep 22, 2014
sammieguze: Fake job done.

They ought to be taking warranty from those contractors sef. An agreement to make sure they repair any defect to their executed project if any in a given time. Maybe that will curb the usage of fake materials in the execution of their projects

Should this be before or after the collection of 50% contract sum as kickback? grin
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by thebossman(m): 11:16am On Sep 22, 2014
load of crap
why start a soddy job when you cant even finish well
that place itself is a hell hole.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by realone2012: 11:17am On Sep 22, 2014
Frankmishael: God punish u and Islam. sons of demons

BRO EASY!! ALLAHU AKBAR, ISLAM MEANS PEACE, THOSE KILLING PEOPLE ARE NOT PART OF US, THEY ARE MONSTERS!!
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by AreaFada2: 11:17am On Sep 22, 2014
Bryancrox: D contractor was given enough money,but he decided 2 use substandard materials because of greed...What an international disgrace.

Well usually, the contractor gets less than 50% of actual money to work with, directors and various ministry people get their share first.
Decent contractors that pay no bribe/don't connive to inflate cost and do a good job will never win the bid.

It's all over-inflated for that purpose. That's the norm in 9ja.

Until that changes in govt, ministries, schools, universities, armed forces, police, private companies etc mediocrity will be our lot.

Sadly.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by adedayourt(m): 11:24am On Sep 22, 2014
Nigeria and maintaince culture

These two guys can never come to term on anything
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by piagetskinner(m): 11:27am On Sep 22, 2014
The whole system has failed...when the govt says it is out to carry out maintenance on some of its facilities ...just know that a large amount of money has entered some pockets
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by remmer56(m): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2014
realone2012: angryI came here to come and look at the pictures. Its too early to be reading this long report when I'm not a journalist.

BUT PEOPLE ARE WICKED OO

lol.... Wicked Person
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Must be tbj's contractors
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by buoye1(m): 11:41am On Sep 22, 2014
PoliTHIEFcians
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by ba7man(m): 11:41am On Sep 22, 2014
chucky234: Did I just hear you say lie?
My both parents were born in Lagos, I was born here and have live my entire life in Lagos.
Hope you are not mistaken borehole water in your house for state supplies.
Where do u stay in Lagos??

It seems you'll have to pack your load and move to your state that has water supply.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by OLADD: 11:46am On Sep 22, 2014
chucky234: Have you ever heard of manufacturer(s) recalling toilet wares or roofing sheets? Cars and planes are not same as building materials, you can get quality materials with almost lifetime guarantee from Turkey, German, US and the UK but Stealer Oduah chose to import substandard materials from Chinda and Malaysia to cut cost.
[color=#006600][/color]

You can recall my earlier post where the issue of facility maintenance officers were mentioned. Those leakages are their responsibility. If they were up and doing, the extent of damages should not even be a public discuss.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by dabossman(m): 11:52am On Sep 22, 2014
This is what happens when we make development about individuals instead of building systems and institutions that will outlast the individual. Across every sector, all you hear is "during my tenure I did this and that", but immediately you leave everything collapses. So we remodeled and put up fine structures, but failed to remodel the thinking of the airport staff who will maintain it. Not surprising though; ministry workers are usually never bothered about doing their jobs, especially since there is hardly ever any threat of sack, except during general retrenchments or stuff. Heads need to roll constantly at FAAN and NCAA in order for them to know it is not business as usual. We need to build a culture of maintenance.

I think the new minister, and the head of FAAN should be queried. If Stella truly did a good job, then the present minister and his team are sabotaging her work so that they can quote his own billions for renovation work.

Don't come and spoil "our sisters" work o! grin
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by directonpc(m): 11:59am On Sep 22, 2014
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Juve4(m): 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2014
I DONT KNOW WHY WE ARE TRYING TO POLITICIZE EVERYTHING IN NIGERIA

THIS IS CHINA JULY 2014

Only In China! Brand new £400million Chinese railway station turns into giant waterfall after storm exposes thousands of holes in the roof

The reputation of China’s new £400million Shijiazhuang Railway Station has been washed away by multiple leaks during a rainstorm that turned the inside of the building into a giant waterfall.
Torrential rain hit Shijiazhuang city, Hebei province, on Thursday night, but its railway station, which is served by China’s high-speed trains, was not up to the job of sheltering passengers.
Water passed through the ceiling of the station, built in 2012, soaking passengers waiting inside.

Water catastrophe: Shijiazhuang Railway Station suffered huge leaks on Thursday
Soaked: A drenched passenger walks through the station with his luggage
+4
Soaked: A drenched passenger walks through the station with his luggage

The downpour led to the suspension of dozens of services.
Some passengers who uploaded pictures of the cascading water to the internet said the problem was exacerbated by the station’s design, which incorporates lots of windows in the roof.

It comes after the roof of a Sydney Opera House replica building in China was taken off due to severe leaks.
Drip, drip effect: Some passengers who uploaded pictures of the cascading water to the internet said the problem was exacerbated by the station¿s design
+4
Drip, drip effect: Some passengers who uploaded pictures of the cascading water to the internet said the problem was exacerbated by the station’s design

The knock-off building, in Liaoning province's Fuxin county near Inner Mongolia, came under the spotlight four years ago when the local government forked out 1.1 million yuan (£100,000 ) to construct it.
The building, which was used as a waterside restaurant, was one of China's many 'grand projects' to re-brand regional cities as cultural hubs to attract tourists and investment.
The roof structures were removed after a two-day-long process. One staff member told the Shanghaiist that the restaurant had been shut down last year as part of leader Xi Jinping's anti-extravagance campaign, and that local authorities had ordered the roof to be taken down.
A spokesman with the county's housing construction bureau said the structural leakage was the reason for the roof's removal.
'Maybe the style is not satisfying,' said another staff commenter.

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Josh316(m): 12:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
KIRIJI: Comon sense is not comon
Is it the prerogative of Punch news paper and the Lagos state government to renovate a federal airport.

Below is the present condition of the Enugu airport that was built during the ministerial administration of STEALER oduah. I guess you would also ask the Enugu state government to renovate it

Sorry to disappoint you, BUT, Stella did NOT build the Enugu Airport. Probably you need some lessons on airport history.

She renovated the terminal building
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by feedthenation(m): 12:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
So much for the transformation agenda and remodelling process in all major airports in Nigeria.

For those of us who use the MMA, there has been little remodelling process.
Most of the work done are too substandard. The carousel belts are still the same at the arrival section and the heat in that section is so unbearable.

If the stated amount N174bn has been spent we should get a far better bright sparkling remodelled airport.

Take a look at the remodelled Terminal 2 at Heathrow airport and compare the difference. £2.3bn was spent in the for the whole project and completed on time.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pictures+of+new+terminal+2+heathrow&biw=1280&bih=897&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=mAkgVJLdMqOe7gbz9ICQDA&ved=0CCkQsAQ

Nigeria's Ministry of Aviation spent N174bn (appx. £0.67bn using the official ex.rate of £1 = N260), why can't we see a massive difference compared to what we currently have.

All past ministers of aviation should arrested and prosecuted for the massive failures recorded in our airports.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by dabossman(m): 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2014
Juve4: I DONT KNOW WHY WE ARE TRYING TO POLITICIZE EVERYTHING IN NIGERIA

THIS IS CHINA JULY 2014

Only In China! Brand new £400million Chinese railway station turns into giant waterfall after storm exposes thousands of holes in the roof

The reputation of China’s new £400million Shijiazhuang Railway Station has been washed away by multiple leaks during a rainstorm that turned the inside of the building into a giant waterfall.
Torrential rain hit Shijiazhuang city, Hebei province, on Thursday night, but its railway station, which is served by China’s high-speed trains, was not up to the job of sheltering passengers.
Water passed through the ceiling of the station, built in 2012, soaking passengers waiting inside.

Sorry o, I just want to ask what your point is. That it happened in China means it's okay or normal? Again, just asking for clarity.

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by chucky234(m): 1:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
OLADD: [color=#006600][/color]

You can recall my earlier post where the issue of facility maintenance officers were mentioned. Those leakages are their responsibility. If they were up and doing, the extent of damages should not even be a public discuss.
My brother even ordinary Nigerite aluminium roofing sheets will not leak water in 2yrs let alone imported materials, oh you expect the maintenance officers to start replacing 6 months old roofing sheets, haba that is unheard of.

3 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by chucky234(m): 2:01pm On Sep 22, 2014
ba7man: Where do u stay in Lagos??

It seems you'll have to pack your load and move to your state that has water supply.
Pack to which state, I'm a Lagosian by birth and have equal right as every other Lagosians.

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by chucky234(m): 2:08pm On Sep 22, 2014
mbulela:
Who mistakes borehole water for public water supply?
Their is public water supply in Lagos.
It is not everywhere but it is in a lot of places.
I have lived in two places in Lagos and one had both while the other had exclusively public water supply and the only day it failed it was back in less than 10 hrs.
So what exactly is your point?
I asked you to mention one other city in this country that has public water supply? I am still waiting.
Delta and Edo state has running water since the 60s in the Bendel state, any one around Benin, Abraka, Obiaruku, Eku and Akpor can confirm this. There is no single well in Obiaruku because they were one of the first places to have pipeborne water direct from Bendel water board and now DSWC.

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Guk: 2:37pm On Sep 22, 2014

why asking stella name? Sometimes i wonder where all these "dirty politics" will lead APshit into?

First and foremost, LASG has nothing to do wt MMA International Airport. Its owned and run by Fed Govt. As for Punch, they are only reporting views by you and I.

As for the Airports, i must say here that becos a lot of Nigerian do not understand Standards, even minimum Standard, they hail every act of mediocrity. I have been to 3 of the remodelled airports and evryone involved from the Minister to the contractors should be in jail for squandering Tax payers money, but some also argue that the contractor might not be at blame for they only worked according to the terms they were given, which is why we have what we have today.

Let me give you a simple example of standards. The Toilet Facilities of anywhere that will experience heavy usage must have at least the following at the minimum.
Ventilation (Xpelair or Extractor Fans will suffice);
Bright Lighting (preferably white flourescent);
No Slip Floors;
Tiles or Colour of walls that Light the place up;
Hard Wearing Wash Hand basins;
Extensive use Faucets; Extensive use WCs;
Running water etc

In the 2 supposedly new toilet i have made the mistake of entering at MMA International Airport (1 @ Arrival & 1 by the Staircase leading to departure). The 2 Toilets do not have any of the minimum standard i just listed.
Ventilation? ZERO!!;
Bright Lights?
Bulbs in Fancy Lamp shades!
No Slip Floors?? Marble on the floor that were of diff colours as if they ran out of the main one. Inappropraite for high traffic facility.
Tiles or Colour of walls that Light the place up?? Wall Tiles were Brown, i thought i was in a hotel toilet;
Hard Wearing Wash Hand basins They had the fancy Oval ones like you have at Nandos Restaurant. Not ideal for Airport;
Faucets?? A visit there will convince you.
Running water You are asking for too much. There were a couple of gentlemen stationed by the door to attend to your needs in exchange for Naira notes.
The Odour?? Your guess is spot on

And some people expect us to rain praises on Billions spent on rubbish?? Please please please, instead, we should be demanding from her a refund for squandering our money

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Edoblakky(m): 2:50pm On Sep 22, 2014
You see why Nigeria is on a slippery slope? Each time we keep saying Rome was not built in a day we forget that we don't have to re-invent the wheel; all we have to do is copy and paste. Last month, I flew from Houston to Amsterdam and had to use the toilet at Schipol Airport. The moment I got up from the toilet seat, it flushed automatically. This is the type we need in Naija since we are not maintenance conscious.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by IGBOSON1: 3:17pm On Sep 22, 2014
dabossman: This is what happens when we make development about individuals instead of building systems and institutions that will outlast the individual. Across every sector, all you hear is "during my tenure I did this and that", but immediately you leave everything collapses. So we remodeled and put up fine structures, but failed to remodel the thinking of the airport staff who will maintain it. Not surprising though; ministry workers are usually never bothered about doing their jobs, especially since there is hardly ever any threat of sack, except during general retrenchments or stuff. Heads need to roll constantly at FAAN and NCAA in order for them to know it is not business as usual. We need to build a culture of maintenance.

I think the new minister, and the head of FAAN should be queried. If Stella truly did a good job, then the present minister and his team are sabotaging her work so that they can quote his own billions for renovation work.

Don't come and spoil "our sisters" work o! grin

^^^I'm not impressed with the current minister thus far!

The stupi/d President changed a winning team: from the previous minister right down to the likes of Nnamdi Udoh and the other one whose name escapes me at present!
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by donodion(m): 3:38pm On Sep 22, 2014
chucky234: My brother even ordinary Nigerite aluminium roofing sheets will not leak water in 2yrs let alone imported materials, oh you expect the maintenance officers to start replacing 6 months old roofing sheets, haba that is unheard of.
thank u bro.I've been for at least someone to lecture these "Nigerians" what it means to run capital projects.How could a project of less than 2 years be warranting maintenance such as leaking roofs,faulty aircons,etc that were designed for 24/7 operation.

Its a terrible Nigerian mentality for shoddy works while the contractual values are always padded and overpriced.

Well its become a norm.in a place like Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mbulela: 3:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
chucky234: Delta and Edo state has running water since the 60s in the Bendel state, any one around Benin, Abraka, Obiaruku, Eku and Akpor can confirm this. There is no single well in Obiaruku because they were one of the first places to have pipeborne water direct from Bendel water board and now DSWC.

Then I stand corrected.
Thanks for the info.

However, the public water supply in Lagos is very existent though not as good as it could be.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by superstar1(m): 3:50pm On Sep 22, 2014

There is an obvious knowledge gap here.

Is the \Airport a property of FG or LASG?

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mrvictor: 4:04pm On Sep 22, 2014
But if you check, you will find out that someone or a group of people collects funds for the facility maintenance and pockets...
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Seyitosino(m): 4:09pm On Sep 22, 2014
Somebody is being remembered by what she did, sooner than I had thought. *lesson: we will all be rememebered by what we have done*
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by chucky234(m): 4:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
donodion:
thank u bro.I've been for at least someone to lecture these "Nigerians" what it means to run capital projects.How could a project of less than 2 years be warranting maintenance such as leaking roofs,faulty aircons,etc that were designed for 24/7 operation.

Its a terrible Nigerian mentality for shoddy works while the contractual values are always padded and overpriced.

Well its become a norm.in a place like Nigeria.
Well said bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Voters Flee As Thugs Disrupt Election In Benue, Destroyed Ballot Box (photos) / Edo Election: Will Obaseki Remain In PDP? / ‎Boko Haram: Israel Steps Into The Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.