Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,369 members, 7,781,006 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:23 AM

STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks (29444 Views)

Saraki Commissions Remodelled Senate Press Centre In Abuja (photos) / Pictures Of All Remodelled Airports Across The Country / Pictures Of The Remodelled Benin Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by kolaaderin: 4:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
Juve4: I DONT KNOW WHY WE ARE TRYING TO POLITICIZE EVERYTHING IN NIGERIA

THIS IS CHINA JULY 2014

Only In China! Brand new £400million Chinese railway station turns into giant waterfall after storm exposes thousands of holes in the roof

The reputation of China’s new £400million Shijiazhuang Railway Station has been washed away by multiple leaks during a rainstorm that turned the inside of the building into a giant waterfall.
Torrential rain hit Shijiazhuang city, Hebei province, on Thursday night, but its railway station, which is served by China’s high-speed trains, was not up to the job of sheltering passengers.
Water passed through the ceiling of the station, built in 2012, soaking passengers waiting inside.

Water catastrophe: Shijiazhuang Railway Station suffered huge leaks on Thursday
Soaked: A drenched passenger walks through the station with his luggage
+4
Soaked: A drenched passenger walks through the station with his luggage

The downpour led to the suspension of dozens of services.
Some passengers who uploaded pictures of the cascading water to the internet said the problem was exacerbated by the station’s design, which incorporates lots of windows in the roof.

It comes after the roof of a Sydney Opera House replica building in China was taken off due to severe leaks.
Drip, drip effect: Some passengers who uploaded pictures of the cascading water to the internet said the problem was exacerbated by the station¿s design
+4
Drip, drip effect: Some passengers who uploaded pictures of the cascading water to the internet said the problem was exacerbated by the station’s design

The knock-off building, in Liaoning province's Fuxin county near Inner Mongolia, came under the spotlight four years ago when the local government forked out 1.1 million yuan (£100,000 ) to construct it.
The building, which was used as a waterside restaurant, was one of China's many 'grand projects' to re-brand regional cities as cultural hubs to attract tourists and investment.
The roof structures were removed after a two-day-long process. One staff member told the Shanghaiist that the restaurant had been shut down last year as part of leader Xi Jinping's anti-extravagance campaign, and that local authorities had ordered the roof to be taken down.
A spokesman with the county's housing construction bureau said the structural leakage was the reason for the roof's removal.
'Maybe the style is not satisfying,' said another staff commenter.

WHAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shocked shocked shocked

is that a train station in a progressive country. the pics alone tell u its a massive befitting public structure. the train station is way thousands of mile ahead of MMA.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 22, 2014
I only came here to see the number of pages.

Am i disappointed...hail NO
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by ibkgab001: 6:00pm On Sep 22, 2014
Lolllllllllll
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Songitto(m): 6:23pm On Sep 22, 2014
Otunbab: Y can't lagos just have the best airport in Africa?

Hmmm...o ga ooo...
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Songitto(m): 6:25pm On Sep 22, 2014
He said, “I really don’t know why things do not work well in
this country. It has not been long since we were talking
about the huge amount of money spent on remodelling the
airport; and now, you’ll notice that some facilities are not in
proper working order. #fact

Na so we see ham for this country bro.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by easyelliot(m): 6:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
I travel frequently and I do stop overs in other airports.....its like night and day. Our airport is a monumental disgrace.

When I was in Add is Abbaba Ethiopia
and saw their airport I almost cried
.......see airport comparable to European airport our international airport come dey like 4 th world country compared to Ethiopian airport.

The sad thing is the local airport is actually pretty nice....y can't our international airport be a thing of pride
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Maser: 8:02pm On Sep 22, 2014
Only if Fani Kayode had remodelled our airports and left us only a leaking roof, I'd have single handedly bought a roofing sheet or two to cover the breach but the Yoruba man did nothing. Love or hate Stella, at least she did something, only there's a leaking roof. Chidoka should patronise a roadside roof vendor and pay from his pocket. If only all the ministers of Aviation we've had in this country since '99 had done only half as much as Stella did, our airports would have been like that of Dubai that you all aspire. Stella inherited a behemoth of a rot carried over since 1960 in the airports. She dared to do something, and something quite ambitious and to a large extent succeeded, only a leak hole shy. I love her for it and haters and down-pullers can jump into the lagoon. This story and the caption has only one purpose, to denigrate and attempt to errode Stella's massive achievements using only a leak hole. That to me is evil in itself.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by jonuel1(m): 8:50pm On Sep 22, 2014
sammieguze: Fake job done.

They ought to be taking warranty from those contractors sef. An agreement to make sure they repair any defect to their executed project if any in a given time. Maybe that will curb the usage of fake materials in the execution of their projects

Have u considered the way Nigerians use what belongs to the public?
What about maintenance culture?

Even if angels come down to govern Nigeria, we will still complain.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mfm04622: 9:01pm On Sep 22, 2014
Johnpaul2k2: LASG and Punch Newspaper are just some piece of sh!!t angry

so, they cannot renovate the roof and changes the AC?

why asking stella name? Sometimes i wonder where all these "dirty politics" will lead APshit into?
Are you too stupid to know the airport belong to Federal Government?

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Originalsly: 9:13pm On Sep 22, 2014
eleojo23: One thing we have to learn in this country is the culture of maintenance. One doesn't just build and think that the job is over. Maintenance is key.

Also, people should learn to handle public property with care. I'm sure that one of the things that make the toilets an unpleasant sight apart from the leaking roof, may be failure of people to flush them after use. That's a habit that one notices when people use such facilities. It's not good behaviour.
I do agree with you but shouldn't the authorities consider these in their planning? On maintenance. ...th one in authority is saying we must expect things to fall apart because of usage. Maintenance is not in his books period. On flushing of toilets.....I thought of auto flushing but then on second thoughts....failure to maintain the system would cause a big mess. I give up!
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
Otunbab: Y can't lagos just have the best airport in Africa?
I don't know why that is not possible in Nigeria! What is going on in the country?! I keep asking that question without getting an answer. cry
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Abmarshalo(m): 11:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
Pls pictures to authenticate your fake story.

simpleseyi: With an outlandish expenditure of N174bn, the government had aimed to bring the nation’s airports at par with their counterparts in the developed world, but passengers who use the busiest of the facilities in Lagos are not impressed with the work done so far, UDEME EKWERE writes

Passengers who regularly use the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos are not impressed with the state of facilities at the nation’s gateway despite the multi-billion naira remodelling carried out on the airport and others across the country.

The passengers are particularly not happy because of the high level of discomfort they are experiencing at the edifice.

It was gathered that some of the new facilities were no longer functioning properly, while others had falling into a state of disrepair.

For instance, passengers complained that the air-conditioning system at the arrival hall of the MMIA now worked abnormally, and that visitors coming into the country were being confronted with embarrassing heat at the lounge and up to the immigration point.

They also alleged that some parts of the roof were leaking, especially whenever it rained.

The recently fixed toilets, the passengers lamented, had become faulty as those, who wanted to make use of the conveniences, were being confronted with unpleasant sights.

Some of the passengers, who spoke in separate interviews with our correspondent, decried the failing facilities at the airport, adding that it was too soon for it to be in a bad shape after the much touted remodelling.

They said that having spent huge sums of tax payers’ funds to restructure the airport, it should not be uncomfortable for users.

A passenger, who just returned from Dubai, Mr. Isaac Femina, said he was disappointed that some of the facilities at the airport were returning to their old state.

He said, “I really don’t know why things do not work well in this country. It has not been long since we were talking about the huge amount of money spent on remodelling the airport; and now, you’ll notice that some facilities are not in proper working order.

“For example, the walkway belt, the one that propels you to move faster at the arrival lounge is not working anymore; if you get on it now, it is as if you are just walking on the bare floor. This should not be; it is too soon.”

Mr. Kunle Stephen, a businessman who shuttles between Lagos and the United Kingdom, said apart from the fact that there were some spots where the roof was leaking, the air-conditioning units around the luggage area were not working well.

Stephen said, “It is quite unfortunate, because you just see on paper that so much has been spent on repairs yet it doesn’t seem like anything is working. Imagine the ACs that should be the first thing that should work well are not. The other day, it was raining here in Nigeria when we got in and some parts of the roof were leaking! To say the least, I was embarrassed.

“To make matters worse, I came to Lagos with my spouse sometime last month and she had to use the toilet on arrival. But she ran out a few seconds later, saying she would manage till we get to town, because the whole place was leaking and there was water on the floor; it is really sad.”

Another passenger, Mrs. Toluwalase Jacob, said that even though she was a little impressed by some of the noticeable changes at the airport, she hoped the issue of the air-conditioning system would be sorted out soon.

She said, “Well, I think there have been some improvements with the work that has gone on here, because when I came in to Nigeria from London late last year, the situation was really terrible.

“It seems a little better now, but I hope they will look into the issue of the air-conditioning system so that the air will not feel so polluted all the time.”

A top official of the Aviation ministry, who did not want his name mentioned because he was not authorised to speak on the issue, said that it was not unusual for some of the infrastructure to wear out after a while, because of continuous usage.

He said, “Of course, you can’t expect the facilities to remain just the way they were because people are making use of them every day, and you know that some people are not very careful in their handling of public property.

“Also, it is important for you to know that the work is not done yet at the airport; it is still ongoing; there are still a few things that need to be put in place, and when it is done, I am sure that the passengers and airport users will be more comfortable than they are at present.”

Commenting on the development, the spokesperson, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, Mr. Yakubu Dati, said some construction work was still ongoing at the airport, which could have accounted for some of the difficulties that passengers were experiencing at the moment.

He said that on completion, users of the airport would not face as much inconvenience as they were currently encountering.

Dati said, “We are constructing the upper walkway at the arrival hall and the leakage is due to the construction work at the upper deck. When completed, the upper and lower decks will serve the arriving and departing passengers, respectively.

“That way, arriving and departing passengers will not meet as is presently the case. We apologise for the inconveniences this is causing.”

Over N174bn has been spent by the Federal Government on airport remodelling across the country in the last three years.

Following the removal of the former Minister of Aviation, Ms. Stella Oduah, there had been fears that the projects, which she initiated, would be abandoned due to inadequate funding.

However, the then Supervising Minister of Aviation, Dr. Samuel Ortom, had assured Nigerians that the ministry was making adequate efforts to ensure that the projects were completed within the stipulated period.

He had said, “I want to assure Nigerians that the projects will be completed. The projects are part of the aviation master plan dully approved by the Federal Executive Council. Every single project that was started in the phase one, two and three of the remodelling plan will be completed. It is a matter of stepping up our revenue generation.

“We have massive opportunities and if we are able to close the gap, we will generate enough revenue, and with additional funding from the Federal Government, we will execute the projects. I want to allay the fears of Nigerians that the projects won’t be abandoned. The debts and commitment are there but you can see the massive work going on in the aviation industry today.

“That justifies the N174bn debt. Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day and there is no way we think we can generate this money within a week. But we intend not to embark on new projects so we can concentrate our energies and ensure we complete the projects started by my predecessor.”

SOURCE: http://www.punchng.com/news/remodelled-lagos-airports-air-conditioners-fail-roof-leaks/
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mfm04622: 6:24am On Sep 23, 2014
egift: Nigeria lack maintenance culture. I blame to authorities who spend money to build without also contracting out the Maintenance of such projects. I mean Maintenance should always be included in the contract. In fact giving it to a separate company to will even be better or the ones that did it initially.

For a new room, you shouldn't be talking of maintenance for the next 5 years at least. Not a matter of maintenance, but quality of job done.

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by jdilight(m): 9:43am On Sep 23, 2014
Nigeria have maintenance problem. What is the new aviation minister doing. Must we live in pass glory all our lives. In our office we service our air condition and generators every 3 to 6 month, irrespective of the working condition of these things.

Please we as Nigerians should change our mentality. If anyone work for me with this kind of mentality, you wouldn't make it to your second pay check.
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by jdilight(m): 9:47am On Sep 23, 2014
mfm04622:

For a new room, you shouldn't be talking of maintenance for the next 5 years at least. Not a matter of maintenance, but quality of job done.

No matter how quality a job is, it must pass testing. But in some job there is no such place for testing. That is while 5% to 10% of the construction fund is with held for maintenance from the day of hand over to a certain period (guarantee period).
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Venchy: 1:02pm On Sep 23, 2014
Jokers, Criminal, Oppressors, Nazi's and New slave masters after the Colonial masters ....Our Leaders loves themselves and they lack standard, a friend of mine just arrived back to London via Morocco and it's all praises to their Airport but heartbreaking to see how Shambles ours is and the harassment NIGERIAN passengers received both on their arrival and departures for money is no disheartening yet some still live in denial by saying everything is OK
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 24, 2014
cheesy cheesy cheesy wicked boy

realone2012: angryI came here to come and look at the pictures. Its too early to be reading this long report when I'm not a journalist.

BUT PEOPLE ARE WICKED OO
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by tomiobj(m): 4:45am On Sep 25, 2014
simpleseyi: With an outlandish expenditure of N174bn, the government had aimed to bring the nation’s airports at par with their counterparts in the developed world, but passengers who use the busiest of the facilities in Lagos are not impressed with the work done so far, UDEME EKWERE writes

Passengers who regularly use the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos are not impressed with the state of facilities at the nation’s gateway despite the multi-billion naira remodelling carried out on the airport and others across the country.

The passengers are particularly not happy because of the high level of discomfort they are experiencing at the edifice.

It was gathered that some of the new facilities were no longer functioning properly, while others had falling into a state of disrepair.

For instance, passengers complained that the air-conditioning system at the arrival hall of the MMIA now worked abnormally, and that visitors coming into the country were being confronted with embarrassing heat at the lounge and up to the immigration point.

They also alleged that some parts of the roof were leaking, especially whenever it rained.

The recently fixed toilets, the passengers lamented, had become faulty as those, who wanted to make use of the conveniences, were being confronted with unpleasant sights.

Some of the passengers, who spoke in separate interviews with our correspondent, decried the failing facilities at the airport, adding that it was too soon for it to be in a bad shape after the much touted remodelling.

They said that having spent huge sums of tax payers’ funds to restructure the airport, it should not be uncomfortable for users.

A passenger, who just returned from Dubai, Mr. Isaac Femina, said he was disappointed that some of the facilities at the airport were returning to their old state.

He said, “I really don’t know why things do not work well in this country. It has not been long since we were talking about the huge amount of money spent on remodelling the airport; and now, you’ll notice that some facilities are not in proper working order.

“For example, the walkway belt, the one that propels you to move faster at the arrival lounge is not working anymore; if you get on it now, it is as if you are just walking on the bare floor. This should not be; it is too soon.”

Mr. Kunle Stephen, a businessman who shuttles between Lagos and the United Kingdom, said apart from the fact that there were some spots where the roof was leaking, the air-conditioning units around the luggage area were not working well.

Stephen said, “It is quite unfortunate, because you just see on paper that so much has been spent on repairs yet it doesn’t seem like anything is working. Imagine the ACs that should be the first thing that should work well are not. The other day, it was raining here in Nigeria when we got in and some parts of the roof were leaking! To say the least, I was embarrassed.

“To make matters worse, I came to Lagos with my spouse sometime last month and she had to use the toilet on arrival. But she ran out a few seconds later, saying she would manage till we get to town, because the whole place was leaking and there was water on the floor; it is really sad.”

Another passenger, Mrs. Toluwalase Jacob, said that even though she was a little impressed by some of the noticeable changes at the airport, she hoped the issue of the air-conditioning system would be sorted out soon.

She said, “Well, I think there have been some improvements with the work that has gone on here, because when I came in to Nigeria from London late last year, the situation was really terrible.

“It seems a little better now, but I hope they will look into the issue of the air-conditioning system so that the air will not feel so polluted all the time.”

A top official of the Aviation ministry, who did not want his name mentioned because he was not authorised to speak on the issue, said that it was not unusual for some of the infrastructure to wear out after a while, because of continuous usage.

He said, “Of course, you can’t expect the facilities to remain just the way they were because people are making use of them every day, and you know that some people are not very careful in their handling of public property.

“Also, it is important for you to know that the work is not done yet at the airport; it is still ongoing; there are still a few things that need to be put in place, and when it is done, I am sure that the passengers and airport users will be more comfortable than they are at present.”

Commenting on the development, the spokesperson, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, Mr. Yakubu Dati, said some construction work was still ongoing at the airport, which could have accounted for some of the difficulties that passengers were experiencing at the moment.

He said that on completion, users of the airport would not face as much inconvenience as they were currently encountering.

Dati said, “We are constructing the upper walkway at the arrival hall and the leakage is due to the construction work at the upper deck. When completed, the upper and lower decks will serve the arriving and departing passengers, respectively.

“That way, arriving and departing passengers will not meet as is presently the case. We apologise for the inconveniences this is causing.”

Over N174bn has been spent by the Federal Government on airport remodelling across the country in the last three years.

Following the removal of the former Minister of Aviation, Ms. Stella Oduah, there had been fears that the projects, which she initiated, would be abandoned due to inadequate funding.

However, the then Supervising Minister of Aviation, Dr. Samuel Ortom, had assured Nigerians that the ministry was making adequate efforts to ensure that the projects were completed within the stipulated period.

He had said, “I want to assure Nigerians that the projects will be completed. The projects are part of the aviation master plan dully approved by the Federal Executive Council. Every single project that was started in the phase one, two and three of the remodelling plan will be completed. It is a matter of stepping up our revenue generation.

“We have massive opportunities and if we are able to close the gap, we will generate enough revenue, and with additional funding from the Federal Government, we will execute the projects. I want to allay the fears of Nigerians that the projects won’t be abandoned. The debts and commitment are there but you can see the massive work going on in the aviation industry today.

“That justifies the N174bn debt. Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day and there is no way we think we can generate this money within a week. But we intend not to embark on new projects so we can concentrate our energies and ensure we complete the projects started by my predecessor.”

SOURCE: http://www.punchng.com/news/remodelled-lagos-airports-air-conditioners-fail-roof-leaks/
. I go to that airport frequently and the only thing they ever did since July (last yr) was the flooring and the change of the location of the way to the gates. Around the beginning of august. The baggage delivery system wasn't working. Nt the one for the arrival section (that dosen't work most time) but the departure ones that takes the bag to the plane. And the poor airport staff have to push the bags to the plane manually. And the problem with the ac is that there isn't enough power going into it. Just like when the light nepa brings cannot 'carry' your ac. And the toilets rent cleaned properly. And for crying out loud. Can't they buy a can of air wick. The whole airport smells lyk semo and ewedu.

The runways of the airports are cracking. With grass growing inbetween. And the escalator that takes you to the immigration from arrivals. Is just a metal staircase. it has been stuck for 3 yrs nw

1 Like

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by tomiobj(m): 4:46am On Sep 25, 2014
eleojo23: One thing we have to learn in this country is the culture of maintenance. One doesn't just build and think that the job is over. Maintenance is key.

Also, people should learn to handle public property with care. I'm sure that one of the things that make the toilets an unpleasant sight apart from the leaking roof, may be failure of people to flush them after use. That's a habit that one notices when people use such facilities. It's not good behaviour.
. Waa sere
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by realone2012: 9:33am On Sep 25, 2014
peppyluv02: cheesy cheesy cheesy wicked boy

follow me back
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
smiley ok...
Is that you on your profile??
Beautiful is the word smiley

realone2012: follow me back
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by solog: 3:27am On Sep 30, 2014
Chai na wa Ooo i cnt enter plane here Oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shiites Trek From Kaduna To Zaria (photos) / Bola Tinubu On Condolence Visit To Bisi Akande Over The Death Of His Wife (Pics) / 2023: Udom Presents Umo Eno As ‘God Anointed’ Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.