Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,794 members, 7,806,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition (37019 Views)

Ways To Know Your Boyfriend Has No Future Ambition / Is Prior Behavior Is A Good Predictor Of Future Behavior? / Nigerian Women And Their Abundance Of Future Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by roufy235(m): 8:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
spreads mat
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by naturalwaves: 8:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
Is this supposed to be a make up for the inconsequential thread of yesterday? undecided. Anyway, this is better.

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Emmalot121(m): 8:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
GreenBobo: It's a function of (misplaced) priority!
Atleast,some still have the grace to carry on till after school!
Tradition and religion has and is still playing a pivotal role on the psyche of our women in this part of the world! These two forces have (almost) relegated women to 'mediocrity'. They find nothing wrong in what op is saying! The kind of education our educationists are propagating is not helping matters too!
Traditional, Religious and Educational stakeholders should change their sublime message (that women are mere helpers or inferior to men ).... Because the problem (to me) is kind of mental/psychological...
Mumus and dimwits,that do not think God exist,just find a means of tanishing image of religion, just to confuse themselves that a universe as mighty as this has no creator.Did you read the bible where it said:Let he who does not work not eat. I downloaded quran and read where it said women have the reward for their labour.Stop this nonsense.If you believe God does not exist,hide your tought and live your life.
You can say religion,societal love for women and our beautiful culture has some little loopholes that help women to shelter because of the situation in society.GO BACK TO HELL YOU CAME FROM. angry
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
sheniqua:

Rubbish!
The number of wealthy men in Nigeria is negligible and for the few wealthy ones, no be woman go marry them?
Will they marry themselves?

Most Nigerian women work even after marriage so I have no clue what this is about
ain't rubbish .... YOU SHOULD COMPREHEND PROPERLY. SHE NEVER SAID WOMEN SHOULDN'T MARRY WEALTHY MEN. SHE IS ONLY OF THE OPINION OF WOMEN BRINGING SOMETHING TO THE TABLE. OFFERING SOMETHING TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE NOT JUST UR BODY AND KIDS.

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Onegai(f): 8:41pm On Sep 22, 2014
Try telling this to even men of nowadays.

I got a job last year (very prestigious if not big on salary, could make my career) that took me out of Lagos for less than 2 months. My bf started avoiding my calls and broke up with me on the phone after, saying "oh I can't give you what you want, you were gone, I felt neglected, blah blah". I hissed (okay I pretended to be upset to make him feel guilty grin ) and moved on.

Next guy who came toasting, I was working long hours on and off in Lagos, maybe 2-3 days a week, other days I'd be home. He started complainig about "so is this how it will be after marriage??" We were not even dating sef.

Current bobo, I'm slowly training him to leave me over weekends grin to give me space, he's not too happy.

Everyone asks women "when are you getting married?" One relative declared to me (when I told her about something I had achieved) "the crown on a woman's head is Marriage".

When Society and Nigerian men expect you as a woman to be constantly available at their beck-and-call, you're not going to be motivated to achieve much.

You cannot have it all. Every hour you spend worrying about your business is an hour away from your loved ones, every hour you spend with your loved ones is an hour away from making money. What you can do is achieve a balance, maybe 60-40 in whatever way you choose.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Dcmg(m): 8:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
9ja ladies are very predictable.If you can provide them with:
1.Big Phones/gadgets{The latest samsung,lumia,iphone,tablets and the rest}
2.A well furnished Apartment
3.A nice car
4.A boutique,where they can go everyday and do amebo with their freinds.
They are satisfied,career is rubbish to them

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
safarigirl: If you're one who has stayed within the female hostel of any Nigerian University, you'll find that most of it's occupants share similar hopes and dreams- and no, it's not to excel in their chosen career paths.

One of the lecturers in my school aptly described women as 'a waste of education'...no, it wasn't an insult, it was just stating the obvious. You find a woman who has hustled through primary, secondary and University education. One who looked set to be a force to reckon with in the world of business or law or medicine, I mean a female with straight A's and you think Nigerian women may be getting things right, only to follow her back to her hostel and hear these heart-breaking words:

"Omo, after school na to find husband marry remain."

In the real sense of the word this is translated to:

"After school, I'll fling my degee inside one iron box in my dad's storeroom, find a perfect mugu that will put a ring on my finger, buy me a car, set up a boutique/beauty saloon for me and all I have to do to get this is spread my legs for him and push out little people with his DNA"

Nigerian women view marriage the same way hustling Nigerian men view the US Green Card- an avenue to escape life's troubles. So in the same way you find 23 year old Nigerian men marrying 56 year old American women, you find young, promising women relegated to some man's priority list.

I don't think most Nigerian women realise that nobody wants to get attached to a leech. If you allow some Nigerian women, they would even want their husbands to carry the babies and birth them as well. And when you ask why they don't want to build wealth with a man, you hear:

"I've already suffered in my father's house. I don't want to continue suffering in my husband's house"

Now unless you're getting married to a no-good leech like yourself, there is no reason why building wealth with a man should be termed 'suffering'

Even on Sun Newspaper's 'Beauty Of The Week' it's the same thing.

Future Ambition: Getting Married And Having Kids

If you think God put you on this earth to make a liability of yourself, you need to think again. There is more to life than being someone's baby mama. There is a purpose for getting an education that lies beyond being able to speak good english whenever you and your man attend social functions

Nigerian women need to sit down and re-evaluate their lives. God sent you to assist a man, not to add to his problems. Men appreciate women who can think for themselves, who want to contribute to the family (and I don't mean churning out kids). There is nothing more endearing than a smart woman who views men as companions rather than money bags.

Don't waste the education your parents worked so hard to provide for you. Break the stereotype, Nigerian women should be more than gold-digging leeches. If the likes of Oby Ezekwesili, Joke Silva, NOI can be successful career women as well as wives and mothers, then we all need to dust up our certificates and CVs and have proper future ambitions.

God Bless You...and don't take this the wrong way grin
As much as i like to hear talks like this, i rarely believe the women, especially Nigerian women, who churn out these concepts. You girls can so scream on paper like you are sure of yourselves and will always put your career ahead of any other thing.

But when it all comes down to it, one finds out you really don't have that stomach. Yes, you clearly don't. The ones who chicken out mostly are those educated in Nigeria, cultured in an environment that makes them second-class citizens.

I say it and stand on it. I'm yet to see that Nigerian girl who cares so much about her career to want to keep marriage at bay. Do you actually realize that okonjo-iweala's surgeon husband was cheating on her and was even blackmailed while at it? How many of you girls have the stomach for that? How many of you are not so carried away by that fantasy of 'my husband this' my husband that', 'happily ever after', 'no divorce', 'golden wedding'. All bull.s.hit without boundary.

Safarigirl, abi what do they call you. It's not enough to type the words. After you have walked the talk, write a book and then buzz me!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by safarigirl(f): 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
sheniqua:

Rubbish!
The number of wealthy men in Nigeria is negligible and for the few wealthy ones, no be woman go marry them?

Most Nigerian women work even after marriage so I have no clue what this is about
it's about women like you that go on the defensive simply cos they feel they've been called out.

I suppose you want to be one of the women lucky enough to snag the few wealthy men.

If you're not out there working your butt off, you won't even jam Paddy Adenuga cus such men are found within the circles of hard-working people.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by chimerase2: 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
Op I knw u re sombodys wife but I luv u #noOffeinse kiss
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
THIS IS THE BEST THREAD HAVE SEEN IN DECADES.RECENTLY I WAS CHATTING WITH A FRIEND AND SHE TOLD ME HER AMBITION IN LIFE IS TO MARRY A RICH MAN shocked
I FELT LIKE PUNCHING HERangry

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by bist: 8:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
safarigirl: If you're one who has stayed within the female hostel of any Nigerian University, you'll find that most of it's occupants share similar hopes and dreams- and no, it's not to excel in their chosen career paths.

One of the lecturers in my school aptly described women as 'a waste of education'...no, it wasn't an insult, it was just stating the obvious. You find a woman who has hustled through primary, secondary and University education. One who looked set to be a force to reckon with in the world of business or law or medicine, I mean a female with straight A's and you think Nigerian women may be getting things right, only to follow her back to her hostel and hear these heart-breaking words:

"Omo, after school na to find husband marry remain."

In the real sense of the word this is translated to:

"After school, I'll fling my degee inside one iron box in my dad's storeroom, find a perfect mugu that will put a ring on my finger, buy me a car, set up a boutique/beauty saloon for me and all I have to do to get this is spread my legs for him and push out little people with his DNA"

Nigerian women view marriage the same way hustling Nigerian men view the US Green Card- an avenue to escape life's troubles. So in the same way you find 23 year old Nigerian men marrying 56 year old American women, you find young, promising women relegated to some man's priority list.

I don't think most Nigerian women realise that nobody wants to get attached to a leech. If you allow some Nigerian women, they would even want their husbands to carry the babies and birth them as well. And when you ask why they don't want to build wealth with a man, you hear:

"I've already suffered in my father's house. I don't want to continue suffering in my husband's house"

Now unless you're getting married to a no-good leech like yourself, there is no reason why building wealth with a man should be termed 'suffering'

Even on Sun Newspaper's 'Beauty Of The Week' it's the same thing.

Future Ambition: Getting Married And Having Kids

If you think God put you on this earth to make a liability of yourself, you need to think again. There is more to life than being someone's baby mama. There is a purpose for getting an education that lies beyond being able to speak good english whenever you and your man attend social functions

Nigerian women need to sit down and re-evaluate their lives. God sent you to assist a man, not to add to his problems. Men appreciate women who can think for themselves, who want to contribute to the family (and I don't mean churning out kids). There is nothing more endearing than a smart woman who views men as companions rather than money bags.

Don't waste the education your parents worked so hard to provide for you. Break the stereotype, Nigerian women should be more than gold-digging leeches. If the likes of Oby Ezekwesili, Joke Silva, NOI can be successful career women as well as wives and mothers, then we all need to dust up our certificates and CVs and have proper future ambitions.

If only ur father wud read this!

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
Dcmg: 9ja ladies are very predictable.If you can provide them with:
1.Big Phones/gadgets{The latest samsung,lumia,iphone,tablets and the rest}
2.A well furnished Apartment
3.A nice car
4.A boutique,where they can go everyday and do amebo with their freinds.
They are satisfied,career is rubbish to them
You forgot brazillian hair and arranging trips abroad.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
mnairaland:

Eloquent is correct.It is an adjective.The adjectives 'eloquent' and 'good' both modify d noun 'command'.
my english teacher would still nail u for redundancy grin
@ topic, this isn't peculiarly nigerian;women everywhere are faced with samey problems and simply do not push as far as men. i do not blame them.
chimerase2: Op I knw u re sombodys wife but I luv u #noOffeinse kiss
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tochilastborn(m): 8:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
Naija women have a genetic mentality WOMENS EDUCATION ENDS IN THE KITCHEN

Most of them have Loose background that has lost Drive.and as such their utmost priority in life is "GET A HUSBAND"
my own post-primary classmate is an example,HER life,purpose and dream is to marry a Business Man and have babies like her mum.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by EbolaParasite: 8:45pm On Sep 22, 2014

Here's my problem with your statement - You make it seem like the ultimate goal of going to school is TO WORK in the corporate world.
The reason girls are sent to school is to get an EDUCATION and ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE.
If she chooses to be an Educated Housewife - so be it. The most important thing is that she is not an ILLITERATE.
Educated Women help marriages blossom. Some housewives help their husbands do their accounting etc.
The so-called boutique you are criticizing is not a bad idea at all. What is wrong with the hubby getting the wife a boutique and she puts her education into good use and turns a 50,000 naira boutique to a multi-million naira franchise?

I know a woman who opened a store and started selling groceries as a housewife with her husband's initial investment. The husband worked for an oil company that starts with "S" and they were very comfortable. She grew the store to a multi-million naira outfit that they both run today. Husband is now retired.

Not everyone will be a lawyer, engineer, doctor etc. There is nothing wrong with women chosing to get married. You can chose to be career and oriented and be a Condolezza rice or maintain a balance between both and be a Hilary Clinton or chose to have a happy family while you raise your kids like the numerous women around. Nothing wrong with it.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by livinbygrace: 8:46pm On Sep 22, 2014
After all ur degree,u ll end up in a man's house.just imagine patience without Jonathan,Sade okoya without Okoya,remi Tinubu without Jagaban,Stella without obasanjo
The list is endless.The challenges re more on men than women.I keep saying it easier for a woman to be successful.All you need is just be serious and follow the right man or have you ever heard where a man move into a woman's house after wedding ?
So to all beautiful angels out there ,success is not all about education.Just be serious and more focus,with God's grace u ll surely get a good loving husband.
Thank me later!!

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
sheniqua:

Rubbish!

I was wondering which Nigeria the OP was on about Certainly not this Nigeria I know where everybody is hustling to achieve their dream. Where I work, about 65% of the staff are women and many of them are single, some are married, some even have kids - it doesn't stop them from working. Even from my mother's generation women have not been slacking I mean for heavens sake my mum was making more money than my dad when they got married and this was in 1976! What on earth is the OP talking about??

Lol safarigirl maybe you just surround yourself with very lazy people. No woman I know is content to find husband and make babies.

8 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Tymax(m): 8:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
safarigirl: this has to do with the insecurities of the Nigerian man. He happens to be a confused fellow who doesn't know what he wants between a dependent and an independent woman. They curse you out for being a leech and curse you out for being better than men. What a Nigerian man really wants is a woman who has aspirations, but not any higher than theirs. It's okay to want to be somebody, but make sure the spotlight remains on the man of the house
What the hell is that? angry Insecurity because of who? You assumptions amuse me.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by livinbygrace: 8:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
livinbygrace: After all ur degree,u ll end up in a man's house.just imagine patience without Jonathan,Sade okoya without Okoya,remi Tinubu without Jagaban,Stella without obasanjo
The list is endless.The challenges re more on men than women.I keep saying it easier for a woman to be successful.All you need is just be serious and follow the right man or have you ever heard where a man move into a woman's house after wedding ?
So to all beautiful angels out there ,success is not all about education.Just be serious and more focus,with God's grace u ll surely get a good loving husband.
Thank me later!!
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
sauer:
As much as i like to hear talks like this, i rarely believe the women, especially Nigerian women, who churn out these concepts. You girls can so scream on paper like you are sure of yourselves and will always put your career ahead of any other thing.
But when it all comes down to it, one finds out you really don't have that stomach. Yes, you clearly don't. The one who chickens out mostly are those educated in Nigeria, cultured in an environment that makes them second-class citizens.
I say it and stand on it. I'm yet to see that Nigerian girl who cares so much about her career to want to keep marriage at bay. Do you actually realize that okonjo-iweala's surgeon husband was cheating on her and was even blackmailed while at it? How many of you girls have the stomach for that? How many of you are not so carried away by that fantasy of 'my husband this' my husband that', 'happily ever after', 'no divorce', 'golden wedding'. All bull.s.hit without boundary.
Safarigirl, abi what do they call you. It's not enough to type the words. After you have walked the talk, write a book and then buzz me!

OP just got grilled. By 'Suya'! grin

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by alaladakosta(f): 8:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
majekdom2: lols ... tall , handsome, broadshoulders,polish english , rich,havard university graduate..... oh the dream man.it wasn't easy .his mum is a reason behind his father's success.... that's what the nigeria ladies should envisage.... thanks for this.

Exactly my point. God help us all.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
dhammyg: THIS IS THE BEST THREAD HAVE SEEN IN DECADES.RECENTLY I WAS CHATTING WITH A FRIEND AND SHE TOLD ME HER AMBITION IN LIFE IS TO MARRY A RICH MAN shocked
I FELT LIKE PUNCHING HERangry
and when the wealth disappears , you hear words like OLORIBURUKU, OLOSHI. I knew you are a worthless man .... while she never had any support at all in making him richer.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by thandii1: 8:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
samsolite: OP, the answer to your observation lies in this thread. How many ladies have contributed already to this discussion compared to the guys?
I've observed on this forum that the ladies take exception to such topics offering valuable advice, most especially when its from a lady; but if it were a topic about the most handsome dude on Nairaland or such trivialities you see them flock in their numbers and the thread count going to the 21st page in a day!

You don't have to twist the truth to make a point.

@Poster, Nice topic.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by safarigirl(f): 8:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
sauer:

But when it all comes down to it, one finds out you really don't have that stomach. Yes, you clearly don't. The one who chickens out mostly are those educated in Nigeria, cultured in an environment that makes them second-class citizens.

I say it and stand on it. I'm yet to see that Nigerian woman who cares so much about her career to want to keep marriage at bay. Do you actually realize that okonjo-iweala's surgeon husband was cheating on her and was even blackmailed while at it? How many of you girls have the stomach for that? How many of you are not so carried away by that fantasy of 'my husband this' my husband that', 'happily ever after', 'no divorce', 'golden wedding'. All bull.shit without boundary.

well, the likes of Genevieve and Linda Ikeji that aren't married are not asking anyone to drop CVs.

I'm not asking anyone to believe me, this isn't about me, this is about the Nigerian woman and it isn't about you and whatever you believe cuz your beliefs are of little or no importance to me and women who want to make something of themselves.

So here's me throwing your 'beliefs' straight out the window
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Unluvable(f): 8:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
#sigh of relief#....this thread shows there's still hope!
it's just too bad that you cannot auto reset someone's brain sad ..I would have gone on a personal mission of doing just so!
I can't stand it when a girl has no iota of ambition apart from securing a 'money bag'.
the foolishness of such mindset is a logical absurdity...it should not be possible but it's almost as common as air!

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by freecocoa(f): 8:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
As in eh, the thing dey pain me die.

The other day in a bus, we were held by traffic and somehow everyone got engaged in a conversation, at a point we brought up women and work, Omo you need to hear what these women were saying, they even went as far as saying that successful women don't respect their husbands, I just weak.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by dokunbam(m): 8:50pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ladies again
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tpia1: 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
sauer:

But when it all comes down to it, one finds out you really don't have that stomach. Yes, you clearly don't.

true that.

I'd say 100% of those females who make the most noise, would jump at any rich man who so much as looks their way, in the twinkling of an eye.

all the power to the people talk would be relegated to the dustbin in minutes.

sometimes you just sit and think of what to criticize about something you wish for. Its very common with women.

6 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by kilokeys(m): 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
the population of lagos viewing this topic.. nobody is commenting..
i go yarn my own sha..

ladies, get married to successful men.

men, go and work hard

no finance, no romance

lastly: as a proud ibo boi.. i don't split bills.. she can do whatever she likes with her money.... all i know is, my food and booty must never b compromised.

yeah na me talk so

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 8:52pm On Sep 22, 2014
majekdom2: and when the wealth disappears , you hear words like OLORIBURUKU, OLOSHI. I knew you are a worthless man .... while she never had any support at all in making him richer.
WE NIGERIAN GIRLS&WOMEN NEED TO HOLD AN EMERGENCY MEETING ON THIS ISSUE!!!!!MUST GIRLS ARE ONLY THINKING OF MARRIAGE.INSTEAD OF HOW THEY CAN BECOME SUCCESSFUL IN LIFEsad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by sylaz(m): 8:52pm On Sep 22, 2014
And they got that animal ambition in secondary school oo... Maybe they finally realised the hustle is real. grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Couple's Ooni Of Ife Inspired Pre-wedding Photos / 10 Things Broke Girls Often Say / She Has A Boyfriend But She Denied It And Told Me She's Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.