Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? (19869 Views)

Parents Or Intending Parents, You Must Read This / Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife / Did Your Parent Teach Sex Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by JEITO: 5:44pm On Sep 24, 2014
The home is supposed to be the first school for every child and it is important they learn such sensitive lessons first from the home; because the parent are in the best position to provide controlled tutoring on such matter..

Trust me, You don't want a stranger exposing your children to such knowledge before you do.

1 Like

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by radiant3(f): 7:05pm On Sep 24, 2014
It is the responsibility of both the parents and the schools to teach the child/children sex education.
the child/children must av the basic knowledge of wht sex education is all abt frm home ie frm d parents so dat wen sex education is being taught in school,it would nt be strange to the child/children
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by damiso(f): 9:52pm On Sep 24, 2014
Parents to a larger extent laying the right foundations from an early age..

I know the school too will eventually but in the UK I am not too comfortable with some elements like a school nurse being able to give my 13 year old daughter contraceptive pills on prescription without parental consent angry
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by greatgod2012(f): 3:26am On Sep 25, 2014
damiso: Parents to a larger extent laying the right foundations from an early age..

I know the school too will eventually but in the UK I am not too comfortable with some elements like a school nurse being able to give my 13 year old daughter contraceptive pills on prescription without parental consent angry

i doubt if they can do that without parental consent. I absolutely doubt it.

1 Like

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by damiso(f): 3:15pm On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012:
i doubt if they can do that without parental consent. I absolutely doubt it.

My sister they can in the UK especially if the child implies that the parent might not look favourably upon it..You have to lay a firm foundational authority (you the parent with Gods help as well) cos at a point the childs "rights" trumps whatever values you are working hard ro impart and this is backed by the govt. embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by lalasticlala(m): 4:11pm On Sep 25, 2014
Atawewe27: I wonder the criteria for pushing threads on Fp and this beautiful and enlightening thread is yet to make d fp.

Cc
mynd44
mukina2
obinoscopy
seun
this thread deserve fp.
ur signature says front page lawyer. thats wat u r indeed. lol
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by bustyhelen(f): 12:41am On Sep 26, 2014
radiant3: It is the responsibility of both the parents and the schools to teach the child/children sex education.
the child/children must av the basic knowledge of wht sex education is all abt frm home ie frm d parents so dat wen sex education is being taught in school,it would nt be strange to the child/children

exactly
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by soulglo: 1:14am On Sep 26, 2014
damiso:

My sister they can in the UK especially if the child implies that the parent might not look favourably upon it..You have to lay a firm foundational authority (you the parent with Gods help as well) cos at a point the childs "rights" trumps whatever values you are working hard ro impart and this is backed by the govt. embarassed embarassed

Even in private schools? Don't think they can. Even in public schools the way the parents vote can greatly affect school policy. To be honest I'm surprised to hear Nigerian parents push this responsibility on to schools. I wonder how they would feel if a teacher teaches their sons that homosexuality is an option. I don't have a problem with homosexuality but I would like to be the one educating my children on that.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by thiefnubu(m): 3:23am On Sep 26, 2014
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by veeberry(m): 3:24am On Sep 26, 2014
It must start from home.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by datguru: 3:29am On Sep 26, 2014
Both
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 3:56am On Sep 26, 2014
Parents have a primary responsibilty, and the teachers; a secondary responsibility.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by tomiobj(m): 4:02am On Sep 26, 2014
lalasticlala: Many schools in the country don't really give comprehensive sex-education. And, unfortunately, most parents are uncomfortable to talk to their kids about sex. Hence, youngsters end up getting partial or even incorrect information from the internet.
Some also get misleading information from peers and the wrong people.

In my opinion, teenagers MUST receive proper information about safe sex practices before they engage in sexual practices.

But, who's responsibility is it to give it to them?
. Parents should teach it. Teachers could go against the parental values and cultural values. Teachers just teach anatomy which is 'funny' to kids because their teacher is saying 'penis' nd stuff so kids won't take it serz
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by toygod2: 4:05am On Sep 26, 2014
parents
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by ortopazz(m): 4:11am On Sep 26, 2014
Personally the parents are the first influence, Where they fail to see this as a responsibility then parenting in the African context, just goes straight and a child can't help but try to act innocent about the sex topic especially when the topic is raised.

Imagine this situation, your seeing a movie with your parents or back then, and a romantic part comes up, an awkward silence befalls the house, at that point, the kid begins to feel guilty especially if he knows what is going on maybe via other means, matter of fact, when the scene +(it )gets longer than say, a minute, the child with the remote will change the station and later go back to it. I wonder what goes through a parents mind in that instance!

IT'S obvious that sooner or later these children will eventually learn or get to experience this emotions or wanna try what they watch, if you can tell your child that lying, stealing, etc with reasons are bad, then stating why sex Is bad or what to do when faced with it, laying what decision should paramount in the child's mind , should not be a problem.

My take? a child well grounded in this issue before the REPRODUCTION topic in biology, is broached in class will definitely not be that be enthusiastic about calling the body parts, cos to the child, i mean it's normal, without feeling awkward he has an insight , if I may say, because he has a perspective , as against others who may never have had or will ever have such moments with their parents. THE glee is written on their faces and imaginary situations start clogging in their minds and next Thing? "they were trapped in the closet "

On a final note, the Hollywood industry tries to showcase the reality Of the modern day parent, on a Prom night, most parent try to stay guard by continuously sounding the importance of maybe staying chaste and BUT should it happen that u wanna have sex, use a condom. Kyle XY, JERSEY GIRL etc, as against the Nigerian situation Where We act as though such things will ever happen through out the child's six years of sec. education or varsity days,. let's face it the world has changed, with the internet GOD help us, what children can learn from the net!

it's two way thing, buh Parents first!
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by naturally: 4:16am On Sep 26, 2014
Its parents of course. They are the first teachers
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by piroh(m): 4:45am On Sep 26, 2014
I believe the parent should start it, sex education id best taught by parents
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by coolvitus(m): 4:52am On Sep 26, 2014
Is parents oh
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by dikamzy(m): 5:06am On Sep 26, 2014
lalasticlala: Many schools in the country don't really give comprehensive sex-education. And, unfortunately, most parents are uncomfortable to talk to their kids about sex. Hence, youngsters end up getting partial or even incorrect information from the internet.
Some also get misleading information from peers and the wrong people.

In my opinion, teenagers MUST receive proper information about safe sex practices before they engage in sexual practices.

But, who's responsibility is it to give it to them?
make I hear say no b parents
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by dikamzy(m): 5:11am On Sep 26, 2014
greatgod2012:

both the parents and the school but it has to start from the parents. Also, parents do the largest part.

And BTW, sex education shouldn't be delayed till teenage years, it actually starts earlier in simple terms that they can easily understand.
Na my own lala from unn b ds?
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Nobody: 5:15am On Sep 26, 2014
Both! Especially the parents.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:35am On Sep 26, 2014
Whose responsibility it is . . . , not "whose responsibility is it . . ."
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by styno22(m): 6:13am On Sep 26, 2014
Most parent are shy to talk to their children abt sex, to my own opinion teachers are supose to educate children abt sex becos they can freely teach d children without been shy to explain all they need to know about sex. It is left for parent to cordinate d activities of their children at home by wat they watch,read and interact with.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by kennz(f): 6:13am On Sep 26, 2014
aldou,its in d school curriculum. Bt to me,parents shld do more of d teaching. Dey are aw kids.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Kirinwa: 6:20am On Sep 26, 2014
MOJO teaching sex education since 1820. wink

Last Bullet: Most parents never teach children sex education thus leaving it in the hands of society, experience and their peers. Thats why you have lesbianism and homosexuality practice. How would your child discuss his/her sex life with you as a parent when you never even mention that it exists. Most parents think their only responsibility is to send you to school, put enough food at home, shelter and clothes and rush you to church every sunday.
Some even go as far as warning their daighters not to talk with a man or associate with him thus creating a prison.

Wait until she leaves for university. A woman thought she was wise in her eyes by doing such until her daughter got a sweet toaster and result was a blooming tummy.Will you kill your daughter then?
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by timilehing(m): 6:21am On Sep 26, 2014
I just pity all these people saying sex education should be taught in school rather than by parents. You as a parent, what are you teaching your kids at home?? how to speak English when your kid can not even speak your own Nigerian language?? Parents don't want to take responsibility of teaching their children morals at home, they pushed it to schools but why??
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Philadelphia: 6:29am On Sep 26, 2014
Make I go give my neighbour pikin sex education sharp sharp!

3 Likes

Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by lawrenceunaa: 6:38am On Sep 26, 2014
both should ooo
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by GraceInUSA: 6:41am On Sep 26, 2014
the parents should. I know of some schools that after teaching sex education, they share condoms for the students to practicalise which is wrong. So for me, IT THE PARENTS JOB. I'll teach my children from year 2 to avoid stories that touch the heart.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Sarimah(f): 6:47am On Sep 26, 2014
Parents ofcos
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by faithchubby93(f): 6:53am On Sep 26, 2014
i think the parents should be responsible for this, speaking from experience. A proper explanation on sex education from the parents will help the child alot in the future. for example, in jss1 i told my mum that i want to join scripture union, guess wat she told me? she said if i catch you there i will kill you and i was like mummy why, she said that she doesn't want me to get corrupt that am growing up to become a woman.that i can get pregnant if i get closer to the boys there.she also said that i shouldn't join any activities in school that boys partake from and also i shouldn't get close to boys if not i will get pregnant. Since then i hate gatherings and my biggest phobias became boys and pregnancy. And to crown it all i and my mum don't have a relationship till date ,apart from the fact that she birth me.
Re: Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? by Tex42(m): 7:08am On Sep 26, 2014
The responsibility of sex education rests mainly on the parents. schools have got their quota to contribute as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Ought To Name A Child ? / Today Is My Birthday. Celebrate With Me (pictures) / Please Help, My Mum Is Lazy And Its Draining Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.