Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? (26451 Views)

Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / Igbo Men's Ways, A Cultural Thing ? / Obama From A Cultural Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 1:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
reedonne:
English have already became an international language, even monoethnic states like korean and japan still learn english as a compulsory subject.
It is not about accepting an europian language, but about having a language that will make us understand each other and at the sametime help us to be able to communicate with the outside world easily.
yes to learning a European language, English in particular but NO to giving up your own. Like I said in my previous posts, nothing prevents an education system in native languages with English being taught as a second language. At the current pace, we will stop being Africans in the long term. We'd be another version of Akatas LOL

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by ezeagu(m): 1:34pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:
Again , common culture can be built if the political power is shared and every group is represented. The common culture doesn't just happen, it is something built overtime. If all the regions of Nigeria were sharing power since its conceptions, ethnic differences would not be as strong as they are today. I gave you the example of Senegal which is ethnically diverse but does have a common culture built over the years.

Cote d'Ivoire is hardly war torn, yes they did have a civil war but that did not let to the massive destruction of infrastructure. Their economy grew by 9.8% in 2012 and 8.3% in 2013. And the African Development Bank just transferred its seat there from Tunisia, I don't think they would've done so if it was "war torn". Liberia on the other hand is in really shape. But that's besides the point, the war in those two countries did not oppose Fulanis and Maninkas. Both groups were treated as foreigners in those two countries. They actually had to work together.

Yes it can but if it hasn't happened after 50-100 years in some cases then it's probably a lost cause. If there was a sense of cohesiveness and togetherness then there hardly be need for 'power sharing'.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by reedonne: 1:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:
yes to learning a European language, English in particular but NO to giving up your own. Like I said in my previous posts, nothing prevents an education system in native languages with English being taught as a second language. At the current pace, we will stop being Africans in the long term. We'd be another version of Akatas LOL
100% in support.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Sep 30, 2014
There are countries with little to no resources (many in the northern hemisphere come to mind) that have done extremely well. It takes brains and inventiveness.

I'd wager that population alone (no matter how small) is sufficient to make a country work. African groups need to work on nurturing intelligent and forward thinking people to realize this though.

With respect to the EU, member countries are bonded mainly by economic ties. There still remains the defining characteristics and ideologies that separate member nations... not to mention the obvious political autonomy. France and Portugal are not now culturally and politically identical enough to be one country by virtue of being part of EU.

I'm sure that similar unions comprising of functioning autonomous states will work for Africa as well.

Omarbah:
True if they have a large population and resources at their disposal. Could you imagine just within Nigeria, how many tiny states will be born out of this? Let alone the whole of West Africa.

they did thrive but times are different today. None of those states except Germany due to its high end manufacturing, can compete thus the need to be a member of the EU.

Not only there was a debate on whether or not, Sweden would do better by breaking out of the UK but even when independence became a probable outcome, they were talking about joining the EU. Being part of a bigger union is out of necessity.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2014
reedonne: These are what african needs.
The universities
We have more than 100 universities in Nigeria but none of them have come out with a solution for our political problem, it is really disheartening. We have seen many report from foreign university about african problem, but african university seems to be dedicated to teaching us what have already been created by others.
If we want a cultural renaissance, we need to involve our education. Let us forget about western education type, and create our own system atleast it will encourage more people to read. Let us include our culture in our education.
I read about a NAZI propaganda subject during WW2, why cant we do something like this too. Encourage our young people to explore from their early primary education. Tell our people how we are superior to others and how we must show this superiority by innovating ideas. Use education and media to make europe looks like an immoral place where everything is bad.
We should use primary school to learn about culture, disscipline, community, national superiority, language,proper physical and health care, national language and mathematics.

We should use middle education to learn about law, civic responsibility, patroism, english, community order and discipline and business study.
We should use secondary education to learn about introduction to engineering, medicines, and other profession.
With this, our people have been orientated on community life since primary school (imagine our people learning to keep their house and community clean from primary school, learning community discipline from primary school and then proceed to learn law and civic responsibility in middle school, we wont need WAI lol).
They have also learnt about ethnic superiority from primary school and patroism from secondary school, so when they finish their university, they will try to proof their superiority to the whole world by inventing new things.
the educational system does need changes for sure specially in french speaking African countries. They put too much emphasis on government and not enough on entrepreneurship. No wonder even when Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana are starting to do good, those countries lag.
We definitely need better Universities , again specially in Francophone Africa. Students from that region are victims of racial slurs in Morocco all the time, strengthening the ones we already have and hiring foreign professors is better than sending their students in North Africa. Heck, studying in France is even better.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 1:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
chulla12: There are countries with little to no resources (many in the northern hemisphere come to mind) that have done extremely well. It takes brains and inventiveness.
in the past, but today everyone is attaching himself to some union in order to survive.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by kingston277(m): 3:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
pleep: Pretty much hits the nail on this head. Africa at the time of colonization was in its dark age, and remained frozen in that state due to artificial borders and colonization.

The only way for africa to break free of this state would be warfare and conquest, through which the stronger ethnic groups would incorporate the weak and grow strong in both national identity and size. That is the natural state of human progress. This, however, would never be allowed to occur due to humanitarian concerns and western interference.

That is the reason i advocate unconventional methods of progres, because so long as africa looks like the map above natural progress will never occur.
I agree with Africa slipping into the dark ages when colonization came. However, to replicate what civilizations in the old days did, you would need a justification for warfare. And thats the sad part, Africans spent the last few millennia building states and absorbing tribes into them, colonization threw that all away and stamped out influence of these former imperial kingdoms. Going through this again in the 21st century is very difficult to justify now with the worlds police are shoving "humanitarianism" and "globalization" down everybody's throats. Plus, you'd have to deal with more powerful weapons of warfare increasing destruction. Look at what Russia is doing to Ukraine, yet even without much bloodshed the West still won't keep their nose out of it, calling for "humanitarianism".
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by kingston277(m): 3:39pm On Sep 30, 2014
pleep: Pretty much hits the nail on this head. Africa at the time of colonization was in its dark age, and remained frozen in that state due to artificial borders and colonization.

The only way for africa to break free of this state would be warfare and conquest, through which the stronger ethnic groups would incorporate the weak and grow strong in both national identity and size. That is the natural state of human progress. This, however, would never be allowed to occur due to humanitarian concerns and western interference.

That is the reason i advocate unconventional methods of progres, because so long as africa looks like the map above natural progress will never occur.
I agree with Africa slipping into the dark ages when colonization came. However, I guess to replicate what civilizations in the old days did, you would need a justification for warfare. And thats the sad part, Africans spent the last few millennia building states and absorbing tribes into them, colonization threw that all away and discouraged teaching of the former national language and philosophy of these imperial kingdoms. Going through this again in the 21st century is very difficult to justify now with the worlds police shoving "humanitarianism" and "globalization" down everybody's throats. Plus, you'd have to deal with more powerful weapons of warfare increasing damage. Look at what Russia is doing to Ukraine, yet even without much bloodshed the West still won't keep their nose out of it.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by kingston277(m): 3:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:
sure it does but only if it is big enough and has the resources to compete with the outside world. Do you think a Yoruba, an Igbo state could compete with the rest of the world? There is not a single African ethnic group that control vast land and resources to do that.
Which is why I do believe giving up foreign policy, currency and army to a larger union is our best bet. The rest could be left to the ethnic groups.
Could you imagine, an Igbo president negotiating trade deals with the representative of the EU?
Which is why pleep suggested absorbing different ethnic groups into a state with one dominant ruling ethnic group like it was done in the olden days. Sounds difficult doesn't it? Well thats your only other proven to work option other than ethnic nations.

Omarbah: world wide trade with only Africans as the human commodity. We lost on this trade, however you look at it. We did not get anything valuable from it.
Only Africans? Where did you get that? My slave trade book im reading even has an example of Africans fighting and capturing Arab slave traders and selling them off to the West. Not to mention this: http://www.jstor.org/stable/25118876
https://www.indiacurrents.com/articles/2007/05/16/indian-slaves-in-colonial-america
Not sure where you got "only Africans as the human commodity" from.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by AmunRaOlodumare: 4:16pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:
That's a big problem you talk about here.

Since the colonial era, African countries like Nigeria have done nothing but try to use the "European Model" and apply it to Africa without any adaptation. But in Europe all the countries (France, Finland, Sweden, Britain, Norway, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Turkey, Israel, Russia, etc) use their own languages and their own culture as a foundation of their education system.

Since the colonial era African countries used the English language as the language of instruction and it failed. It failed. When something fail, you change it.

That's why (along with research done by Unesco and African universities) I made this post.

https://www.nairaland.com/1915272/what-preventing-africa-experiencing-cultural/4#26577116

^^^In fact, a bit ironically, this is more like the European model (it's also the model of previous large African Kingdoms) because it places African language and culture at the center of the education system the same way the "european model" place their own language and culture at the center of their own society and education system. Like Chinese, Japanese, South Korean, and European people do. We must not try to be like them but be ourselves. Use our own language and culture as a base for development. Integrate what is good from outside into our own culture, not the other way around which I recall failed. Times to do things differently in Africa. Good examples are Scandinavian countries, Japan, Israel, Russia, China, South Korea. Scandinavian countries and South Korea are interesting because they are small countries very advanced in term of technology, Research and Development (RandD), social security, support to locally owned enterprises in all main fields of science and manufacturing, and quality of life. They also use their own cultures and languages as foundation for their development.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by AmunRaOlodumare: 4:16pm On Sep 30, 2014
Double post
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 4:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
kingston277:
Which is why pleep suggested absorbing different ethnic groups into a state with one dominant ruling ethnic group like it was done in the olden days. Sounds difficult doesn't it? Well thats your only other proven to work option other than ethnic nations.
wrong, if the Europeans with their stronger economies are uniting why can't we? Good luck going through the war thing, what a sweet opportunity that would be for Europeans to come back.

kingston277:
Only Africans? Where did you get that? My slave trade book im reading even has an example of Africans fighting and capturing Arab slave traders and selling them off to the West. Not to mention this: http://www.jstor.org/stable/25118876
https://www.indiacurrents.com/articles/2007/05/16/indian-slaves-in-colonial-america
Not sure where you got "only Africans as the human commodity" from.
You seriously aren't the enslavement of Indians with that of Africans are you? How many Arabs got sold by other Arabs as slaves to the Americas?
The issue here is very simple. Europeans did not sell Europeans to Africans but Africans did sell Africans to Europeans. Do you realize the difference here? They got human cattle and we received cheap junk. The same with the Arabs, they never gave us humans in exchange for something.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 4:41pm On Sep 30, 2014
reedonne: These are what african needs.
The universities
We have more than 100 universities in Nigeria but none of them have come out with a solution for our political problem, it is really disheartening. We have seen many report from foreign university about african problem, but african university seems to be dedicated to teaching us what have already been created by others.
If we want a cultural renaissance, we need to involve our education. Let us forget about western education type, and create our own system atleast it will encourage more people to read. Let us include our culture in our education.
I read about a NAZI propaganda subject during WW2, why cant we do something like this too. Encourage our young people to explore from their early primary education. Tell our people how we are superior to others and how we must show this superiority by innovating ideas. Use education and media to make europe looks like an immoral place where everything is bad.
We should use primary school to learn about culture, disscipline, community, national superiority, language,proper physical and health care, national language and mathematics.

We should use middle education to learn about law, civic responsibility, patroism, english, community order and discipline and business study.
We should use secondary education to learn about introduction to engineering, medicines, and other profession.
With this, our people have been orientated on community life since primary school (imagine our people learning to keep their house and community clean from primary school, learning community discipline from primary school and then proceed to learn law and civic responsibility in middle school, we wont need WAI lol).
They have also learnt about ethnic superiority from primary school and patroism from secondary school, so when they finish their university, they will try to proof their superiority to the whole world by inventing new things.

I like your ideas
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 4:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
chulla12: There are countries with little to no resources (many in the northern hemisphere come to mind) that have done extremely well. It takes brains and inventiveness.

I'd wager that population alone (no matter how small) is sufficient to make a country work. African groups need to work on nurturing intelligent and forward thinking people to realize this though.

With respect to the EU, member countries are bonded mainly by economic ties. There still remains the defining characteristics and ideologies that separate member nations... not to mention the obvious political autonomy. France and Portugal are not now culturally and politically identical enough to be one country by virtue of being part of EU.

I'm sure that similar unions comprising of functioning autonomous states will work for Africa as well.

Forward thinking people does not mean withdrawing from one's culture to become westernised. Forgetting your own language, culture and tradition does not make you forward thinking. It just means you have a major inferiority complex.

Every nation needs the core essentials for success. This means Engineering, math, science. What Bandirawo OmarBah is saying is why can't those subjects which usually lead to a nation's success be taught in our native language just like countries like in Asian and European countries that don't speak English.

Currently the only place that can be done is in Northern Nigeria within Nigeria due to the fact that many ethnic groups like my own speak Hausa as a second language. The only issue which isn't much of a big deal would be finding people that can teach these engineering courses.

I'm actually considering uploading some engineering tutorial videos in Fulfulde and Hausa on YouTube. I'm contemplating my teaching methods to make it easy for people to learn.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 4:56pm On Sep 30, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare:
That's a big problem you talk about here.

Since the colonial era, African countries like Nigeria have done nothing but try to use the "European Model" and apply it to Africa without any adaptation. But in Europe all the countries (France, Finland, Sweden, Britain, Norway, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Turkey, Israel, Russia, etc) use their own languages and their own culture as a foundation of their education system.

Since the colonial era African countries used the English language as the language of instruction and it failed. It failed. When something fail, you change it.

That's why (along with research done by Unesco and African universities) I made this post.

https://www.nairaland.com/1915272/what-preventing-africa-experiencing-cultural/4#26577116

^^^In fact, a bit ironically, this is more like the European model (it's also the model of previous large African Kingdoms) because it places African language and culture at the center of the education system the same way the "european model" place their own language and culture at the center of their own society and education system. Like Chinese, Japanese, South Korean, and European people do. We must not try to be like them but be ourselves. Use our own language and culture as a base for development. Integrate what is good from outside into our own culture, not the other way around which I recall failed. Times to do things differently in Africa. Good examples are Scandinavian countries, Japan, Israel, Russia, China, South Korea. Scandinavian countries and South Korea are interesting because they are small countries very advanced in term of technology, Research and Development (RandD), social security, support to locally owned enterprises in all main fields of science and manufacturing, and quality of life. They also use their own cultures and languages as foundation for their development.

Well said
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 5:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
Fulaman198:

Forward thinking people does not mean withdrawing from one's culture to become westernised. Forgetting your own language, culture and tradition does not make you forward thinking. It just means you have a major inferiority complex.

Every nation needs the core essentials for success. This means Engineering, math, science. What Bandirawo OmarBah is saying is why can't those subjects which usually lead to a nation's success be taught in our native countries like in Asian and European countries that don't speak English.

Currently the only place that can be done is in Northern Nigeria within Nigeria due to the fact that many ethnic groups like my own speak Hausa as a second language. The only issue which isn't much of a big deal would be finding people that can teach these engineering courses.

I'm actually considering uploading some engineering tutorial videos in Fulfulde and Hausa on YouTube. I'm contemplating my teaching methods to make it easy for people to learn.
Yorubas could do the same in western Nigeria.
Again, nothing prevents them from teaching English as a second language.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 5:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:

That's very true, the Yorubas as well can (but to a lesser extent). Why the lesser extent? Most of 'Yan arewa" (which means the North in Hausa language in Fulfulde we say Waila) speaks Hausa. The North is comprised of approximately 150 or more ethnic groups. However, the emphasis on Hausa in the core North is much greater than the emphasis on English. It truly is the lingua franca of the North. A lot of ethnic groups (ours included in the North Western part of Nigeria) are giving up their mother tongues for Hausa. Whilst I am not in support of this, this is more related to what is happening in Senegal where everyone is adopting Wolof as a Lingua Franca and quickly getting rid of that nonsensical language known as Francais.

The Yorubas sadly are pretty much the only ones that speak Yoruba in the South West. However, so many people speak Hausa. These days you don't even have to be an actual Hausa man to be called a Hausa anymore in Hausaland. As long as you speak the Hausa language, and partake in Hausa culture, people call themselves Hausawa now.

As aforementioned, the only problem would be finding teachers, which shouldn't be a big deal. More and more people are being educated in STEM related fields these days.

It's funny, when I was learning networking topologies and network engineering concepts years ago on YouTube, I noticed that Indians were putting up training videos in their own respective languages like in Tamil, Hindu, Punjabi, etc. Some people in Pakistan were doing the same by putting it in Urdu or Pashtoon.

I have noticed one thing that really annoys me. This happens in retrospect everywhere in Africa. Let's take a look at North Africa for example. Much of North Africa (Maghreb where you have Maroc, Tunisie, Algerie, etc. then to the east where you have Libya, Egypt, etc.) besides Egypt and Libya, the language of instruction in Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria are in the French language.......even though they have an established Arabic language in those countries they learn in French.

I don't see the reason why they learn in French when they all mainly can speak Arabic. That is still one thing today that confuses me. When you have countries in the middle east that are educated only in Arabic, the Tunisians, Moroccans, and the Algerians are educated in French....Does that also go back to the inferiority complex we discussed earlier?
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by AmunRaOlodumare: 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:
It's VERY important to teach english as a second language. It's done in many places around the world (Europe, Asia). But it is easy due to the influence of American culture in media and the position of the english language in Nigeria already. Otherwise all Nigerian languages can be used as language of instructions.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 5:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare:
They also use their own cultures and languages as foundation for their development.

that's it, we have to built off of what we already have.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 5:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare:
It's VERY important to teach english as a second language. It's done in many places around the world (Europe, Asia). But it is easy due to the influence of American culture in media and the position of the english language in Nigeria already. Otherwise all Nigerian languages can be used as language of instructions.

I like the way you think man. We need more Nigerians that possess this kind of mindset.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 5:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
Fulaman198:
I don't see the reason why they learn in French when they all mainly can speak Arabic. That is still one thing today that confuses me. When you have countries in the middle east that are educated only in Arabic, the Tunisians, Moroccans, and the Algerians are educated in French....Does that also go back to the inferiority complex we discusses earlier?
I think they use Arabic for primary and secondary schools and French in Universities and Professional schools, at least in Morocco that's the case.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 5:51pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:
I think they use Arabic for primary and secondary schools and French in Universities and Professional schools, at least in Morocco that's the case.

That's very interesting. I wonder why they do it that way. What is your take on it?
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 5:59pm On Sep 30, 2014
Fulaman198:

That's very interesting. I wonder why they do it that way. What is your take on it?
it used to be worse actually. All of the teaching in formal education was done in French, then Arabic was introduced in social studies leaving Maths and Science to French. And progressively, Arabic took over primary and secondary education with French still being taught.
Who knows, maybe they'll get rid of French altogether some day.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
Not sure where you got the impression that I said forward thinking and intelligence means forsaking your inherent ideologies or languages.

Igbos, Yorubas, etc already have an established basis for nation building due to a central language and unique ideologies and languages. Nice and dandy, but they also have to create opportunities that address problems peculiar to nation states such as Yorubaland or Igboland. Hence my allusion to "inventiveness."

What defines a nation's competitive advantage, for instance? If there isn't an organic or homegrown definition, how do you create one?

Japan is a testament to the possibilities for a country that has found the answers.

Fulaman198:

Every nation needs the core essentials for success. This means Engineering, math, science. What Bandirawo OmarBah is saying is why can't those subjects which usually lead to a nation's success be taught in our native language just like countries like in Asian and European countries that don't speak English.

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by reedonne: 6:16pm On Sep 30, 2014
chulla12: Not sure where you got the impression that I said forward thinking and intelligence means forsaking your inherent ideologies or languages.

Igbos, Yorubas, etc already have an established basis for nation building due to a central language and unique ideologies and languages. Nice and dandy, but they also have to create opportunities that address problems peculiar to nation states such as Yorubaland or Igboland. Hence my allusion to "inventiveness."

What defines a nation's competitive advantage, for instance? If there isn't an organic or homegrown definition, how do you create one?

Japan is a testament to the possibilities for a country that has found the answers.

If you want mono ethnic state, then you must be ready to form federalism with other west african states, because of the smaller ethnics.
Instead of emphazing on ethnic, why not emphaze on village,township and city?.
If each city,township and village is capable of collecting tax and taking care of most part of governance.
With collective goverment(UK, Swiss or any african model style) at the helm of affairs at other goverment level, we will have no problem relating to ethnic tension.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 6:21pm On Sep 30, 2014
chulla12: Not sure where you got the impression that I said forward thinking and intelligence means forsaking your inherent ideologies or languages.

A nation's competitive advantage is all based on Science and technology. Innovation! Once you have brilliant scientists and engineers, other nations will have a hard time standing up to you. What is holding Nigeria back as a nation is extremely poor leadership and incompetence. Our leaders are corrupt and highly uneducated. They have no idea what they are doing and enjoy being corrupt. Instead of developing infrastructures to innovate newer forms of technology (new aviation (planes and the avionics within them), newer cars that operate on electricity or solar power, strong internet pipelines for extremely high broadband, the leaders just chop the money.

To create a nation that has a competitive advantage you need to have the leaders with an aggressive forward-thinking mentality. You need to have a leader whom is passionate about his/her people.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 6:22pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:
it used to be worse actually. All of the teaching in formal education was done in French, then Arabic was introduced in social studies leaving Maths and Science to French. And progressively, Arabic took over primary and secondary education with French still being taught.
Who knows, maybe they'll get rid of French altogether some day.

Well then, those countries are taking the right steps in the right direction.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by kingston277(m): 7:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
Omarbah:
wrong, if the Europeans with their stronger economies are uniting why can't we?
Where have you see Europeans uniting? Other than EU/NATO I haven't. In fact the USSR and Scotland issues are suggesting otherwise.

Omarbah: Good luck going through the war thing, what a sweet opportunity that would be for Europeans to come back.
Good luck trying to unite people with no ethnic, historical, linguistic, or religious affiliation. The mass tribalism will surely keep that super-nation under Western thumbs.

Omarbah: You seriously aren't the enslavement of Indians with that of Africans are you? How many Arabs got sold by other Arabs as slaves to the Americas?
Quite a few, along with Irish, Chinese and Indians. Africans were the largest but it remains under debate what lead to the scale the slave trade got to. We don't have all the answers.

Omarbah: The issue here is very simple. Europeans did not sell Europeans to Africans but Africans did sell Africans to Europeans.
Africans didn't need to buy any slaves, warfare allowed them to capture, enslave, and extract information from reversal Europeans. Look at King Agaja or the Kanem-Bornu Empire. Foreign slaves were very valuable in those days.

Omarbah: Do you realize the difference here? They got human cattle and we received cheap junk. The same with the Arabs, they never gave us humans in exchange for something.
To an extent they did...
http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/68815-slaves-brought-into-sub-saharan-africa.html
...But they also traded beast of burden, weapons and horses, too.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by reedonne: 8:19pm On Sep 30, 2014
kingston277:
Where have you see Europeans uniting? Other than EU/NATO I haven't. In fact the USSR and Scotland issues are suggesting otherwise.

Good luck trying to unite people with no ethnic, historical, linguistic, or religious affiliation. The mass tribalism will surely keep that super-nation under Western thumbs.

Quite a few, along with Irish, Chinese and Indians. Africans were the largest but it remains under debate what lead to the scale the slave trade got to. We don't have all the answers.

Africans didn't need to buy any slaves, warfare allowed them to capture, enslave, and extract information from reversal Europeans. Look at King Agaja or the Kanem-Bornu Empire. Foreign slaves were very valuable in those days.

To an extent they did...
http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/68815-slaves-brought-into-sub-saharan-africa.html
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by reedonne: 8:30pm On Sep 30, 2014
kingston277:
Where have you see Europeans uniting? Other than EU/NATO I
haven't. In fact the USSR and Scotland issues are suggesting
otherwise.
We dont need a federated africa, but more powerful regional unions.

Good luck trying to unite people with no ethnic, historical,
linguistic, or religious affiliation. The mass tribalism will surely
keep that super-nation under Western thumbs.
If we decide to unite africa through war, will western and eastern nation be neutral, wont they install their regime in some state and use them to conquer africa?.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by reedonne: 8:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
[quote author=kingston277]
Lets looks like a system like this.
Regional level:
West africa can have a NATO style military union(just like ecomog) run by West africa security council.
West africa can have a trade union which will be responsible for linking african state with each other, encoraging inter-state trade etc.
West africa can also have an organization that will take care of political problem and secession.

National level:
We can make re-organization of border if possible to allow largest ethnic groups like Hausa,fulani,yoruba,wolof and igbo have their distinct states. Other ethnic group can then merge to build their own state.
Ideal state population should be about 50million people.
Then multi-ethnic states should use parliamentary system(with a strong emphasis on sharing of power.)
Multi ethnic states should be organized like the spanish autonomous community and self determination should be out of the constitution. (Spain is unitary state with great amount of devolution(more devolve than our Nigeria). Each community have a deal with the national goverment over the amount of power they want to have. Eg a community may have power over security while another doesnt.(like the north which dislike state police while the south is in support)).
The autonomous community should be created along ethnic lines and any community can split from its autonomous community if they get 60% vote in a general referendum.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 10:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
kingston277:
Where have you see Europeans uniting? [b]Other than EU/NATO I haven't. [/b]In fact the USSR and Scotland issues are suggesting otherwise.
Isn't it what we are talking about though? Uniting Africans under a state that will control foreign policy, currency and army. How is NATO+EU different from that? Why do people like Nigel Farage are opposed to the EU, it's possible they believe the true design is a federal Europe. That's what their goal is. And what do you propose meanwhile, that Africans, with ECOWAS economy not being the size of France to just remain in their ethnic states because it is more cohesive. Those would be overrun in no time. No African ethnic state can compete globally. Name me one if you can.

"kingston277:

And why couldn't foreign forces invade us when we had our multiethnic empires/states? Seriously though, every ethnic group will be diluted to such an extend that it would be foolish for a politician to play on those lines. Just like how during the independence movement, the Rassemblement Democratique Africain had no tribalism in it. Everybody was "African" that's it. You couldn't talk ethnicity because you had no incentive to do so. What defined the leaders was their ideas, their sense of leadership and devotion to the African cause.
I will tell you another thing. Francophone Africa had two zones, west and equatorial. The Afrique Occidentale Francaise (French West Africa) had all of the current french speaking states with a federal capital in Dakar. De Gaulle, the french president, in order to destroy that union proposes a new constitution that had to be ratified by referendum. Sekou toure, the president of Guinea along with some others asked that the Unions remain the same and to be recognized by the constitution. De Gaulle refused, a gave the states the "option to take independence alone or to unite with another whenever it wanted to take its independence". Guineans saw through the scheme, it was just another readjustment of their colonial policy. We opted for the NO and took independence, all of the other states still have their currency run by France. But what happened is that France was able to destroy that strong union that could have produced beautiful things for us. There was no tribalism back then, we could have used our larger economy to create a bigger tax base, use public debt to finance infrastructure projects. But instead we ended up with small states that couldn't do anything for themselves. We are still POOR. At the time, it was one currency, commercial zone, open borders, railroads connecting the capitals. Now everyone is in his little corner, calling himself a state, when they can't even finance their goddamn budget. How many of such states will pop if we go along ethnic lines?

"kingston277:

To an extent they did...
Between Africans selling millions and few Arabs and Europeans being caught in the trade is different my friend. No matter how you look at it, Africans lost this trade. Instead of using that labor to grow our economy. Well the others did that with the people they took from Africa.
And the evidence is there, just look at the Caribbean or go to the USA, you will see it clearly.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Oyinbo Lady Speaks Nigerian Local Dialect And Cooks Our Dishes Better(video) / Emir Sanusi Celebrates 25th Wedding Anniversary With Wife As They Cut Their Cake / Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.