Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC (20045 Views)

Cybercrime: Doing This On The Internet Can Send You To Prison – NCC / NCC To Sanction MTN, Airtel, Globacom Over Auto Data Service Migration / Glo Back To Second Largest Telecom Operator In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by emmyw(m): 3:21am On Sep 23, 2014
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSNv1U8fJPyitqAteNBMc9Fni8yeQuU9yvXl1f6hILk8hr0octC3k5ZSeo[/img]

Nigeria’s national telecommunications carrier is back at the number two spot in terms of active subscriber base, according to the latest information released by the industry regulator, the Nigerian Communications Commission.

Globacom reclaimed the spot it conceded briefly to Airtel a few months ago.

The latest information, which has been updated on NCC’s website, indicated that Glo’s subscriber base climbed up by 2.8 million new subscribers between February and June this year, the largest by any operator in the country within the period.

In essence, Glo had 27,327,646 subscribers on its network at the end of June, 2014. The figure translates to 21 per cent share of the Nigerian telecoms market, and places Glo second to MTN which has 56,516,759.

Airtel, which briefly occupied the second position early this year, falls to the third place with 25,302,160 subscribers and 20 per cent market share.

Etisalat retains the fourth position with 19,390,285 customers which represents 15 per cent share of the market.

Instructively, while Glo and Etisalat made gains between the last time NCC released subscriber figures in February, and now, MTN and Airtel recorded losses.

The figures for the operators as of the end
of February were 57,183,745 for MTN, 26,194,336 for Airtel, 24,490,650 for Glo and 18,119,397 for Etisalat.

In effect, between end of February and June end, Glo added 2,836,996 new subscribers to its network, while Etisalat recorded 1,270,888 new customers. On the other hand, MTN lost 666,986 subscribers, while Airtel also lost 892,176 customers, the highest loss within the period.

Glo also retained its position as the network with the second largest Internet subscription in the country with 14.3m active subscriptions. MTN is in the first place with 34m, while
Airtel and Etislat have 12m and 6.8m active Internet subscriptions respectively.

Industry sources believe that the massive network upgrade recently embarked upon by Glo and its bouquet of new service offerings may have given it the edge over other operators. The network expansion involved swapping of old base stations with new ones and transformation of existing infrastructure into a state-of-the-art network software and hardware. It also involves achieving 90 per cent 3G coverage, the first in the industry, making it possible for Glo data subscribers across the country to experience significant service enhancement.

Meanwhile, it was a major laurel haul for Globacom Chairman, Dr. Mike Adenuga, and his companies, Glo Mobile and Glo I, at the at the 10th edition of the annual Nigerian Telecoms Awards held in Lagos on Saturday night.

The Globacom chairman bagged the award of the ‘Telecoms Investor of the Decade’ while Glo Mobile and Glo I emerged the ‘Best Telecoms Operator of the Year – Data’, ‘Most Innovative Telecoms Operator of the Year’, and ‘Best Submarine Company of the Year’, respectively.

The’ Telecoms Investor of the Decade’ award was the highpoint of the ceremony, and was presented by the Chairman, Board of Directors of the Nigerian Telecoms Awards, Chief Alex Akinyele and the Vice Chairman and former Governor of Ogun State, Otunba Gbenga Daniel.

The award was received on Adenuga’s behalf by the Director of Mike Adenuga Group, Mr. Niyi Adewunmi. According to the organisers, Adenuga was nominated on account of his “immense contributions to the growth of the telecommunications sector in the country” and was adjudged to take the award by a panel of assessors and judges.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by mfrizzy(m): 3:36am On Sep 23, 2014
http://www.punchng.com/business/technology/glo-back-as-nigerias-second-largest-operator-ncc/

We're talking about 3GB for 1000 naira......on android. We all know that's the one and only reason for this!!

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by lordizak(m): 5:18am On Sep 23, 2014
after tricking us with Glo bounce for 7 days.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by justi4jesu(f): 5:31am On Sep 23, 2014
Really...Whats Empty Hen's position cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by CharlieMaria(m): 5:31am On Sep 23, 2014
Proudly Glo user tongue but Glo Na cheat oooo

2 Likes

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by Nobody: 5:31am On Sep 23, 2014
grin
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by free2ryhme: 5:32am On Sep 23, 2014
scam angry
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by ebosse(m): 5:32am On Sep 23, 2014
It doesn't change the fact that they have the sh*ittiest network!!!. Even airtel is faaaar better @ the moment.

9 Likes

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by Nobody: 5:32am On Sep 23, 2014
justi4jesu: Really...Whats Empty Hen's position cheesy

MTN has the number 1 spot.
We run a bulk sms company (https://www.magicbulk.com) and i can tell you from our combined daily report that
65-85% SMS sent out are meant for MTN numbers, on a daily basis.

I have been on the airtel network for over 11 years, they have been fantastic but the last 6 months, i completely stopped loading the line. My reasons

after subscribing to a data plan, Airtel will creatively ignore your data account and charge your naira balance.
once your naira balance is zeroed, they come back for your data.
This can be very upsetting if you have a huge naira balance mean for other purposes.
When you call them up, their customer care will most of the time hangup on you and send you a message that your issue has been successfully resolved.

With this dubious approach, i realized my monthly recharges have skyrocketed by over 400%
i just had to stop using it and i am so glad that Nigerians are able to express their grievances by leaving airtel.

I think NCC needs to ensure a standard that calls to customer care lines be made terminable by the customer.
they may also consider a standard number for account balance checks, data checks across all networks.
It is becoming complex daily processing short codes in our head.

Also account balance checks should be #124# on Glo and that should be it
after dialing that, what you see is adverts that we dont read anyways, to see your real balance, you have to dial redial 1 and wait which is bad user experience design IMHO

Congrats to GLO

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by free2ryhme: 5:32am On Sep 23, 2014
they dont provide quality service and they keep giving themselves yeye ratings angry
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by englishmart(m): 5:33am On Sep 23, 2014
Hmmmm!

The last time I came second in my class, my Dad nearly disowned me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by jibbish(m): 5:34am On Sep 23, 2014
Proudly Nigerian

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by sammieguze(m): 5:34am On Sep 23, 2014
Upon all that bad network?
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by onyiwest: 5:35am On Sep 23, 2014
they need to do more, would like to see them be the largest in Africa. #OminiGlo

6 Likes

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by englishmart(m): 5:35am On Sep 23, 2014
ebosse: .
any need for this space? cheesy
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by Yosifperfect(m): 5:35am On Sep 23, 2014
TeamGlo! Why won't airtel lose customers with their data zapping?

3 Likes

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by fnep2smooth(m): 5:35am On Sep 23, 2014
we all get 3gb for 1k for andriod , pc and Blackberry 10 os.
isn't that enough reason to port to glo.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by chinex276(m): 5:36am On Sep 23, 2014
Shout out 2 every nairalander... My ex-girlfriend jus called 2 say she wasn't pregnant after all.
So pesin get mind 4 dis con3 dey use globacom... Tufiakwa

7 Likes

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by englishmart(m): 5:36am On Sep 23, 2014
onyiwest: .
space for lease?
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by CharlieMaria(m): 5:38am On Sep 23, 2014
mfrizzy: http://www.punchng.com/business/technology/glo-back-as-nigerias-second-largest-operator-ncc/

We're talking about 3GB for 1000 naira......on android. We all know that's the one and only reason for this!!
A beg this their 3GB for 1k still dey work? A beg wetin b d code?

3 Likes

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by NotNairalandi(m): 5:38am On Sep 23, 2014
All na wash!

1 Like

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by ebosse(m): 5:39am On Sep 23, 2014
englishmart: any need for this space? cheesy

Yes oh!.. Haven't done that in my life b4..

My doctor told me I should be more spontaneous and try something new every now and then.. Booking a space is something new to me cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by louis07(m): 5:40am On Sep 23, 2014
All there is are diffecult check bal is a problem make call the line will not go and nt always having contant newwork in my area but I like them as per naija tinz[color=#006600][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by highbeeola(m): 5:40am On Sep 23, 2014
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
finally FTP TINZ THANKS TO VODAFONE grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
SIGNS OF GOOD THINGS TO COME.
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by Yosifperfect(m): 5:42am On Sep 23, 2014
CharlieMaria:
A beg this their 3GB for 1k still dey work? A beg wetin b d code?
*777*21#

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by Mdrill(m): 5:42am On Sep 23, 2014
*yawns*.. Pfft, Next please!
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by free2ryhme: 5:44am On Sep 23, 2014
celebrating bad network since 1960

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by davidflipcy(m): 5:44am On Sep 23, 2014
Good to hear
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by phollybee(m): 5:45am On Sep 23, 2014
Glo ride On.... u r too much
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by gift01: 5:46am On Sep 23, 2014
Big Boys network but still a very crappy network
Re: Glo Back As Nigeria's Second Largest Operator –NCC by colossus2: 5:46am On Sep 23, 2014
Glo and their crawling internet service

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Here Comes The Infinix Hot Note Pro / Universal Modem Help / 6 Cool Camon CX Features You Should Be Using (Pics Inside)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.