Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Lamentations about Churches hiding under the cloak of religiosity to use members - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lamentations about Churches hiding under the cloak of religiosity to use members (953 Views)

Why Is TB Joshua Hiding In Mexico? / I Am Irritated By "Over Religiosity Of Nigerians" / Rccg Pastors I Know Hiding Under Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lamentations about Churches hiding under the cloak of religiosity to use members by sheniqua: 3:31am On Sep 23, 2014
This topic stemmed from a series of recent discussions with friends.
Why do Nigerians take undue advantage of others while hiding under the banner of religion with sentences like " it is done for God or this is the house of God"
And why do intelligent people not question these clear manipulations for selfish gains?
Before you begin to wonder I am a Christian too and it is time people opened their eyes to see that many of the people we call men of God are using the bible for selfish gains.
Now check this out

1. Why would a church collecting millions of naira in tithes and offerings from members also use these same members to clean,mop,weed the church and surroundings free of charge?
Who employs laborers to work in their private enterprise without paying them?
These churches are registered in the name of the multimillion dollar owners but they can't hire a janitor ,not even a jobless sister or brother in that same church to clean the toilets and sweep the floors rather they expect women to leave their husband's homes on Saturdays to come clean the church.Deceiving them that they are doing it for God rather than tell them they are being chopped mugu.
Why all this deception?
I can understand a small church with a handful of worshipers but I cannot understand the same arrangement for big and mega churches ,drawing up cleaning rosters for men and women in the church.

2. It is bad enough people are being made to work for free in the name of " doing God's work" why are they selling the word of God to the parishioners on top of it all?
Na only congregation suppose work for God?
The choristers and musicians sing and play for free
Teachers at the children's church teach and babysit for free but when the pastors preach,they dub the message into compact discs ,some are muffled you can't hear some of the words and they sell them to the congregation why?
Your CDs and DVDs ain't free but our labor is free?
Why is the church making countless gain from the people of God at all costs?
They tape the worship and sell
They tape the messages and sell
They organize workshops,seminars,retreats on church property and charge the members
I remember Christ embassy some years ago charging for News year's eve service
Imagine that
And people paid happily
Every thing has become a money making merchandise for these men and women of God
They sell us holy anointing oil and water ,holy handkerchief ,holy pamphlets and magazines,they write books,some of very poor quality and sell to the same people who are already paying tithes and giving offerings.
The church owner aka CEO dreams of a bigger building or wants to open a school or university or branches of the ministry and add to his income rather than go to the bank and get a loan like all other businesses do,they look on the congregation who have no stake in the business to fund it and sustain it .
The same pastor will tell us from a pulpit that him and his church are debt free forgetting that the congregation worked their butts off to provide him with that debt free living and that they have monthly rents and mortgages to pay.
How does he pay them?
He buys a jet ,moves into a bigger mansion,hires security,lives like a king .The congregation funds his lavish lifestyle and that of his family or gives him the seed with which to venture into a myriad of businesses but he wants more.God is watching.

3. I have tried to locate the biblical injunction where church donations and offerings could be made with borrowed money and can't find one.
Some preachers now encourage giving with credit cards.How can God ask anyone to borrow Money at 20.99% to give to him?
They want your tithes and scare you into parting with 10% of your income
They want offerings and it must be sacrificial
They want church building fund
Children's ministry fund
Seed faith
Music fund
Women and men ministry dues
Pledges that you must redeem
As if it's not enough the members will also ask their fellow members to fund a Pastor's appreciation fund shocked
A few years ago they came up with first fruits where you are expected to give all your January salary to the church
Ah ah
What's next?

Before anyone calls me an antiChrist pointing at Churches of old,please go through the entire scriptures,you read about the Church in Antioch and Church in Ephesus and Galatia.We never read of a Church owned and operated by a man with his wife as Vice President and the conglomerate inheritable by his children.That is purely the way we have chosen to operate houses of worship which makes sense in modern times so while at it ,we cannot use the same standards of churches of those times to operate these private enterprise of today.
Ananias and Saphira lied to the Holy Spirit ,the church members sold all they had and put the money in a common purse for everyone's use.
It doesn't work that way today,Most churches especially Pentecostal churches are purely private enterprises and the owners should be careful not pass them off by mere words as belonging to the congregation when it truly doesn't .

4 I did a little search,see this http://www.churchmusicjobs.com/a/jobs/find-jobs
These is a website advertising church openings in the USA from children's ministry director to pianist to worship leader and Sunday school teachers.Paid positions but of course Nigerian churches will never learn that
They want to be like Americans only when it suits them.
The pastor and his wife draw a salary from the church but the workers in the church who spend hours teaching and working are expected to work for free because someone has brainwashed them that they are not entitled to be paid when it comes to things of God
Says who?
How fair is that?

1 Like

Re: Lamentations about Churches hiding under the cloak of religiosity to use members by Nobody: 3:53am On Sep 23, 2014
Somebody should please take this to the religion section angry
There are more than enough willing people to answer these questions there undecided
Re: Lamentations about Churches hiding under the cloak of religiosity to use members by Dayjhihannon01(m): 4:58am On Sep 23, 2014
I also like putting this on some days ago, but I don't know how well to express it........ I can't but marveled at the craving for giving and selfless service in churches today...(Aldo if we perused it we shall say its for d expansion of the kingdom, but hian, its like we arnt doing it so right...) The way pastors crave for the church building is more dan dat of the Church itself (the well being of dia members) Not all of dem wants to know whatever you are passing though, only to name u a backslider for the moments you abstains from church to re-arrange urself... Urrrgh I'm feeling Christianity is going to be like dis until all christian comes together as one (which I know its not possible) a church is a church - no more penticoster or authodox, we are for Paul nd not apollo.... If Christ is the main source of christianity, den why soooo much disparity... I dropped my pen abeg

(1) (Reply)

Does The Bible Blaspheme God? / Could Ds Be #35 Prediction On D Prophecy List Of Apostle Suleiman / Eleven Steps To Recovering From An Extramarital Affair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.