Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,489 members, 7,801,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Hey See More About Igala People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hey See More About Igala People (15609 Views)

The Igala People In Anambra State / Please Help Me. About Igala Marriage Ceremony / Igala People: Identify Urself's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hey See More About Igala People by sunnykiss(m): 6:13pm On Nov 04, 2008
The Igala are an ethnic group of Nigeria. Igala practice a number of different religions, including animism, Christianity, and Islam.

The home of the Igala people is situated east side of the river Niger and Benue confluence and astride the Niger to form the confluence in Lokoja.

Igala land is approximately between latitude 6°30 and 8°40 north and longitude 6°30 and 7°40 east and covers an area of about 13,665 square kilometers” (Oguagha P.A 1981) the Igala population is estimated at two million, they are the major ethnic group in present Kogi State but can be found in Delta, Anambra and Edo States of Nigeria. They are Africans belonging to the Kwa sub groups of the Niger Congo language family. grin

In Igala tradition, infants receive three deep horizontal cuts on each side of the face, slightly above the corners of their mouths, as a way of identifying each other. However, this practice is becoming less common.

The Brazilian-designed Volkswagen Brasilia was sold in Nigeria as the Igala. the igalas are ruled by a king called the Attah. One of the most reverred Attahs of the igala kingdom is attah Ameh Oboni. The present Attah is his highness, Attah Aliyu Obaje.

LOCAL GOVERNMENTS AND DISTRICTS IN IGALA LAND:

ANKPA LOCAL GOVT. Ankpa Local government is one of the oldest local govt in the Igala land. Created in 1979 alongside Dekina and Idah Area, The old Ankpa Local have been divided into Three large local governments. These are Ankpa, Olamaboro and Omala Local Govts. Despite the Division however, the present Ankpa local Govt is still a very large local govt with towns like Inye, Enjema,Ogede Ajiekpe, Ojoku etc.

DEKINA LOCAL GOVERNMENT

IDAH LOCAL GOVERNMENT

OFU LOCAL GOVERNMENT

IBAJI LOCAL GOVERNMENT

OLAMABORO LOCAL GOVERNMENT

IGALAMELA LOCAL GOVERNMENT

OMALA LOCAL GOVERNMENT

BASSA LOCAL GOVERNMENT

Hey see more about Igala people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igala

so was up any igala or Idoma person report here now,

1 Like

Re: Hey See More About Igala People by zenith4biz(m): 9:23am On May 02, 2015
Where are the Igala's, some of us that has been Yorubalize wanna learn
Re: Hey See More About Igala People by Hanibal(m): 12:02pm On May 02, 2015
Over 5000 views..just one comment!! angry OP on behalf of myself and my family, I donate a comment

1 Like

Re: Hey See More About Igala People by zeekz(m): 1:57pm On May 02, 2015
zenith4biz:
Where are the Igala's, some of us that has been Yorubalize wanna learn
Kogi state but I am positive there is no state in Nigeria that you would not find an Igala man/woman plus they are much in Lagos.

(1) (Reply)

The Fundamentals Of Odinani / Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" / Arrival Of A New Baby Amongst Ndigbo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.