Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest (23111 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by pazienza(m): 10:53pm On Sep 23, 2014
bukarmada:

Is that what you want to see....? Hausa Language has gone far away than any language in Nigeria, it is the second most spoken language in Africa. I fear Igbo Language in that matter, they prefer English, (even the English fake one (Pidgin) which the white men can't understand) than their native language. Bye bye Igbo Language, welcome Pidgin Language. tongue tongue tongue

Ewu Gambia.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by pazienza(m): 11:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
miketayo:

LMAO!!!!! you know the language(Igbo) has an English word in every 2 sentences, that is why people feel its going out of existence, also shows it isnt rich enough. I feel its too late to make a general Language so beta we stick to English or our pidgin

Ewu Gambia, where did you get that from? Igbo language is as complete as any good language should be. When cultures mix,they borrow words from each other with the lesser power borrowing most from the superior. Most words we call English today were borrowed from French,latin when the French and Romans had influence over England.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by bobkezel(m): 11:52pm On Sep 23, 2014
What do you expect when another man's language is made compulsory in schools, and our own language, an option.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 2:51am On Sep 24, 2014
pazienza:

Maybe Igbo? You must be mad.
bro...y must u insult??is it ur line of culture in igbo??very pathetic...SMH
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Yujin(m): 7:39am On Sep 24, 2014
This is just pure evolution hinged on the law of natural selection. It is known as survival of the fittest. Most minority languages will go into extinction as acculturation plus inter-marriages gather momentum. There's little one can do about it- our effort may just delay it but never stop it. Even, traditionally known dialects among larger languages will be swallowed up by relatively larger ones and few new tongues emerge for easier communication among the people.
As economic and political pressures mount on the populace, people tend to discard the mundane for the germane as they struggle for a better life. This progression is the fate of all living things.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 24, 2014
Yujin: This is just pure evolution hinged on the law of natural selection. It is known as survival of the fittest. Most minority languages will go into extinction as acculturation plus inter-marriages gather momentum. There's little one can do about it- our effort may just delay it but never stop it. Even, traditionally known dialects among larger languages will be swallowed up by relatively larger ones and few new tongues emerge for easier communication among the people.
As economic and political pressures mount on the populace, people tend to discard the mundane for the germane as they struggle for a better life. This progression is the fate of all living things.
my point exactly
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Ihuomadinihu: 8:40am On Sep 24, 2014
I will blame it on recolonization,language economic hypothesis and domination.
Recolonization,i believe is a big issue in Northern Nigeria whereby the Hausa people have successful asserted their dominance and language in that area.
Language shift and Language economic hypothesis was propagated by Maslow and it states that people gravitate to a language that puts food on the table. For instance,if you only speak Ajawa in a Hausa state like Kano,how do you mix up with people and earn a living? So these people tend to drop their language for survival purposes. Just like we were told that Ikwerre was modified in 1971 to look different from Igbo. It's just survival instincts,economic and political fulfilments.
Language domination is a big reason for language endangerment and death,whereby Hausa has dominated the various meduim of communication because of their population and colonial emphasis on Hausa language.
Near extinct languages can be resusitated by teaching these languages in the local areas and encouraging the few speakers to continue making use of the language. There should be an ernest effort made towards recording and documenting these languages for future purposes.
I know i conducted a reasearch on this topic back in the days in school,i don forget the rest. Lol.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 24, 2014
Joavid:

Thank you.
how r u
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 24, 2014
Language is a vehicle for cultural transmission. There is possibility that when a language is lost that culture is equally lost. Reason: you can't explain your culture in another person's language.

In my house, I made it a point of duty to speak my dialect (Igbo) in concentrated format to my family. Any person that speak English will chop canes-12 lashes. They (my kids) speak my dialect and Igbo Izugbe fluently. Outside my house, they speak English succinctly.

Parents are to be blame here. And equally, bundling Nigeria into one country is another issue which didn't help matter.
I stand to be corrected.

1 Like

Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by nkem21(f): 10:52am On Sep 24, 2014
n dats wat is about to happen to igbo language.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by AmunRaOlodumare: 3:05pm On Sep 24, 2014
While all languages are important and should be allowed to expand. There's also the need for harmonization of standardization of many similar languages (dialects). This is normal for any language groups around the world like in Europe for example (Finnish, German, French, Portuguese, Swedish, Czechs, Italian, Norwegian, English and you can include Russia and Hebrew etc). It was done in every countries and it is a normal process. In fact, only us 'poor previously-colonized' people use colonial/foreign languages as medium of instructions. It's not done in Europe for example. Where's there's many different languages spoken and are all developed countries.

More about harmonization and standardization of African language:
http://www.casas.co.za/
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by AmunRaOlodumare: 3:12pm On Sep 24, 2014
^^I just want to add. That if you speak one of those endangered languages or dialects, the first practical step to expand and maintain their use is the creation of a monolingual dictionary. So if you're one speaker of those endangered languages and want to do something this is where the effort should be placed. Of course, you will see that when you create such monolingual dictionary, and later on bilingual dictionaries , will involved technically the harmonization and standardization of the language you work with.

A lot information in that sense can be gathered from this active organization:
http://www.casas.co.za/
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by blackbeau1(f): 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2014
The only thing that will put an end to this is for parents to teach their children their indigenous languages
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by macof(m): 1:46pm On Oct 06, 2014
sirjohnson:
This was what happened to the Argentinians and Mexicans....They speak only Spanish...Their original indigenous languages are gone with the wind.

Not exactly. As the Mexicans and Argentines have mixed heritage...native American, African and European(Spanish, Portuguese)
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 06, 2014
macof:

See who's calling my dear fathers to bless me grin
Instead of blessing me they would rather curse and kill me

Now i will run along to my slave mother who conceived me in prostitution and had me land on my head to the floor at birth
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 07, 2014
macof:

is that the best i can do?.edit your post? u thought i was good at insults I'm very retarded son of a shiit licker from a bush whoring disgrace of a mother. and may my days never end well
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by christopher123(m): 9:11am On Nov 15, 2014
Dont we have these in south also...
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by oyatz(m): 6:39am On Sep 16, 2023
ababanwoke:
The gradual waning away of our indigenious dialect and language should be highly blamed on our families not on the government,since there is no ban on any dialect or language. In my land and culture particularily igbo,my people believe that English is the best langauge to teach to their kids. I was shocked when a friend of my was telling me he will teach his children english while growing up then they will learn igbo in the streetz,I asked him this era that children don't experience the street plays we did back then,how can they learn it when locked up in the house? he didn't answer. Well what am saying we can still salvage this issue if we go back to the roots and teach our kids our indigenious language and let the learn english in the school,even if they learn the english at home,when they write waec or neco they still fail so what's the use? Let's use our head.

Why can't we use both English and Indigenous languages to teach our children in school?
The idea that English Language is the Language of Knowledge is very wrong and it's one of the reasons why Scientific Knowledge hasn't been domesticated in most African countries.

We should translate Science , Technology and Engineering Textbooks into Indigenous languages and use it to teach our people.

1) They can learn English language for cross-communication.

2) Every Nigerian should be encouraged to learn and speak at least three indigenous languages, in this way, we will understand one another

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Black Race Is Unintelligent. / Pictures Of Calabar Carnival / Odu Ogunda Ogbe- Ogundabede! The Chief Of Crooks!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.