Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,058 members, 7,807,180 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft (3209 Views)

The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion / See What Droppng Your Car At Some Carwash Can Cause You - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 7:56am On Sep 23, 2014
Hello Guys, I just had one of my camshaft replaced due to a crack/cut.
Please, what do you think might be the cause?

Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:11am On Sep 23, 2014
Pergrace: Hello Guys, I just had one of my camshaft replaced due to a crack/cut.
Please, what do you think might be the cause?

It was starved of oil possibly caused by a blocked strainer, or faulty oil pump. You might also be using the wrong type of engine oil. Also a faulty ocv valve.

Ensure there are no pendind dtcs on your ecu.

1 Like

Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 9:41am On Sep 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ: It was starved of oil possibly caused by a blocked strainer, or faulty oil pump. You might also be using the wrong type of engine oil.

Thanks! from your response, I am suspecting the engine Oil because I change the oil regularly and besides ,the oil pump is in good condition.
However, I have switch to mobil oil.
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Hardheolar(m): 12:22pm On Sep 23, 2014
Pergrace:

Thanks! from your response, I am suspecting the engine Oil because I change the oil regularly and besides ,the oil pump is in good condition.
sorry, is ur car using VVT
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 12:56pm On Sep 23, 2014
Hardheolar: sorry, is ur car using VVT

Yes

Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Hardheolar(m): 1:30pm On Sep 23, 2014
Pergrace:

Yes
thanks very much.. just trying to confirm it cus of d shape of ur camshaft..
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 23, 2014
Pergrace:

Mobil is simply the Brand. The grade and weight is more important.

1 Like

Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 2:26pm On Sep 23, 2014
Hardheolar: thanks very much.. just trying to confirm it cus of d shape of ur camshaft..

Thanks Hardheolar

Siena:

Thanks Siena..I will stick to Mobil Oil.
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by 9icetoo(m): 7:24am On Sep 24, 2014
It's not about Mobil or Total. it is about the weight of oil you are using. If you are using Mobil XHP in that engine of yours, then you aren't doing that engine any favors. I hope you use Mobil 1.
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 7:44am On Sep 25, 2014
Siena:

GAZZUZZ:
It was starved of oil possibly caused by a blocked strainer, or faulty oil pump. You might also be using the wrong type of engine oil. Also a faulty ocv valve.
Ensure there are no pendind dtcs on your ecu.

Hardheolar: thanks very much.. just trying to confirm it cus of d shape of ur camshaft..

Thanks Guys,
Also, I forgot to mention that the 'Check engine", VSC & TRAC OFF comes on after the camshaft was replaced.
Please, How do I stop the lights from showing..?
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Hardheolar(m): 9:39am On Sep 25, 2014
Pergrace:

Thanks Guys,
Also, I forgot to mention that the 'Check engine", VSC & TRAC OFF comes on after the camshaft was replaced.
Please, How do I stop the lights from showing..?

run a scan on it and post the result here..
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 11:05am On Sep 25, 2014
Hardheolar: run a scan on it and post the result here..

Bros, how do I go about the scanning?
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by chillex8(m): 12:14pm On Sep 25, 2014
Contact Mr Uche on -‎08023251039.. Lagos
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Hardheolar(m): 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2014
Pergrace:

Bros, how do I go about the scanning?
visit any authorised mechanic around dat has a scanner. Let him run a scan on it, u will b given d print out of d fault codes.. Note:: charges apply..
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 8:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hardheolar: visit any authorised mechanic around dat has a scanner. Let him run a scan on it, u will b given d print out of d fault codes.. Note:: charges apply..

chillex8: Contact Mr Uche on -‎08023251039.. Lagos

Thanks
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 25, 2014
What were the symptoms that led you or your mechanic to believe that your camshaft was bad?

Was there a visible damage? I don't believe that it's oil related personally.

I sell code scanners (currently on back order though) but why not go back to your mechanic and tell him that you're throwing codes after his work?
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 8:25am On Sep 26, 2014
CityNG: What were the symptoms that led you or your mechanic to believe that your camshaft was bad?

Was there a visible damage? I don't believe that it's oil related personally.

I sell code scanners (currently on back order though) but why not go back to your mechanic and tell him that you're throwing codes after his work?

There was a cranking noise that came out from no where to my surprisesad.. So I decided to tow the car to my mechanic, he switched on the ignition,he heard the same noise and suggested that it may be the camshaft or any other device and hope the crank shaft wasn't affected. He dismantled the engine (the side where the camshaft is located) and behold the cam shaft was damaged at the tip together with a small cylindrical object which is close to the cam shaft as shown in the picture. cry

However, the problem started when I wanted to move my car away from the car wash after the engine have been washed.The car refused to start ,thinking maybe water got into the alternator or somewhere else. After several effort, the engine was on and the noise came up.I thought maybe the problem was due to the washing of the engine. cry. but that day wasn't the first time the engine was washed.
Since you said oil might not be the cause,I wonder what it is...

How much do you sell the scanner?
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by chillex8(m): 8:36am On Sep 26, 2014
Your topic is misleading

If you have a current problem with your automobile, pls rephrase your topic

That way we are abreast of what is going on...

Cheers..
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 8:51am On Sep 26, 2014
chillex8: Your topic is misleading
If you have a current problem with your automobile, pls rephrase your topic That way we are abreast of what is going on...

Cheers..

Bros, the major problem was the damaged camshaft, (the cylindrical device,I believe sits at the tip of the camshaft). However,the camshaft has been replaced together with the cylindrical device.
The car is in good shape now.My major concern here is to know what caused the damage on the camshaft.

Is it Oil? water affecting part of the engine? block strainer? faulty oil pump?
I be novice for car stuffs. embarassed
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by chuchutech(m): 1:18pm On Sep 26, 2014
From the head of the camshaft you will know already it is VVT-i, thats Toyota patent for adjusting the crank angle at different rpm speed. Honda has its own as VTEC
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 26, 2014
Pergrace:

There was a cranking noise that came out from no where to my surprisesad.. So I decided to tow the car to my mechanic, he switched on the ignition,he heard the same noise and suggested that it may be the camshaft or any other device and hope the crank shaft wasn't affected. He dismantled the engine (the side where the camshaft is located) and behold the cam shaft was damaged at the tip together with a small cylindrical object which is close to the cam shaft as shown in the picture. cry

However, the problem started when I wanted to move my car away from the car wash after the engine have been washed.The car refused to start ,thinking maybe water got into the alternator or somewhere else. After several effort, the engine was on and the noise came up.I thought maybe the problem was due to the washing of the engine. cry. but that day wasn't the first time the engine was washed.

Sorry about the loss of the crankshaft, I'm still perturbed by the whole incident. The only times that I've ever changed camshafts was either while I'm going for more power or during a rebuild when the original is out of spec.

The scanners are on sale for N10,000, every modern car owner should have one in Nigeria.
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 9:05am On Oct 08, 2014
CityNG:

Sorry about the loss of the crankshaft, I'm still perturbed by the whole incident. The only times that I've ever changed camshafts was either while I'm going for more power or during a rebuild when the original is out of spec.

The scanners are on sale for N10,000, every modern car owner should have one in Nigeria.

How do I get the scanner? I stay in PH.Also is it payment after delivery?
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 9:18am On Oct 08, 2014
9icetoo:
It's not about Mobil or Total. it is about the weight of oil you are using. If you are using Mobil XHP in that engine of yours, then you aren't doing that engine any favors. I hope you use Mobil 1.

I used Mobil 1 20W 50. please was it wrong with the XHP? At the next oil change, I hope to use oil with 5w-30 rating as specified in the manual.
Don't know if the temperature in Nigeria may be acceptable for either 5W-30 or 20W-50.
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by starlingbawa(m): 10:33am On Oct 08, 2014
No harm intended but is it called 'CAMSHAFT' or 'CRANKSHAFT'?
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 1:15pm On Oct 08, 2014
starlingbawa:
No harm intended but is it called 'CAMSHAFT' or 'CRANKSHAFT'?

Bros, CAMshaft is different from CRANKshaft wink
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by starlingbawa(m): 2:55pm On Oct 08, 2014
Pergrace:

Bros, CAMshaft is different from CRANKshaft wink

Thanks for letting me know.
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 08, 2014
Pergrace:

How do I get the scanner? I stay in PH.Also is it payment after delivery?

Hello:

1) The scanner will be available in Ikeja, Lagos and Ibadan (Ring Road and New Gbagi) with free pickup. For now I'm only doing local deliveries in Lagos and Ibadan.

2) I suggest that you order it now from my website as I am getting limited quantities, though more will be coming.

3) For pay on delivery in store requires a 50% deposit at time of ordering. I prefer full payment ahead and this will earn you 1% credit towards future purchase.

Thank you for the interest.
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by 9icetoo(m): 8:35am On Oct 09, 2014
Pergrace:

I used Mobil 1 20W 50. please was it wrong with the XHP? At the next oil change, I hope to use oil with 5w-30 rating as specified in the manual.
Don't know if the temperature in Nigeria may be acceptable for either 5W-30 or 20W-50.
Mobil 1 is not 20 w 50. 20 w 50 is Mobil XHP. and Nigeria is not hotter than some states in the USA and the manufacturer stated 5 w 30 even for those places. So please get 5 w 30 and if you can't go for other alternatives which includes Mobil 1 (0 w 40) or Total quartz 9000 (5 w 40)
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Pergrace: 4:35pm On Oct 09, 2014
9icetoo:

Mobil 1 is not 20 w 50. 20 w 50 is Mobil XHP. and Nigeria is not hotter than some states in the USA and the manufacturer stated 5 w 30 even for those places. So please get 5 w 30 and if you can't go for other alternatives which includes Mobil 1 (0 w 40) or Total quartz 9000 (5 w 40)

Thanks I will do the needful at the next oil change. Thanks a bunch.
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 13, 2015
Re: What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft by Nobody: 9:08pm On Feb 13, 2015
Pergrace:

Bro, sorry for awakening this thread, you use a Highlander 3.3L V6. That cranking noise that came from your camshaft maybe a low battery. If your battery juice is depleted, any attempt to crank it, the camshaft will make a cranking/ratchet noise in the engine towards the top end.
It is not gonna destroy your engine as long as you don't keep attempting it for longer periods than necesary.
3MZ-FE (vvti models), 1MZ-FE, 2AZ-FE etc makes such noise.
Hope kazeem knew what he did, and did the right thing abi kazeem don use you take monkey tail and nkwobi.

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes AC Advice Needed / 12 Weird Car Designs That Show Creativity / Quick Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.