Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,846 members, 7,806,394 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' (62388 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Why You Must Travel! / 'by Force By Force I Must Travel Abroad' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by safarigirl(f): 12:06pm On Sep 24, 2014
justwise:

Do you really believe that? Only a lazy man will be poor in Nigeria? Making 100,000 naira per week as a business man is not a lot of money considering the fact that student working part time in the UK during the summer can make that much after tax and still enjoy free health care, 24/7 electricity and water supply, good road network, faster internet connection, relatively secure environment and higher life expectancy.

I understand that we Nigerians measure level of success by how much money we have in the bank and not by living standard and quality of our health.

depends on where you're at and what that money can do for you there.

And like I said, you don't have 24/7 electricity, life and goof healthcare cuz you apparently don't want it. That student in UK will organise a protest the day he doesn't see power he paid for and nobody explains why.

Nigerians will balance and take shiiit, so don't complain because you're responsible for your situation, UK didn't get where they are today with the citizens sitting on their butts and waiting for God to touch the hearts of evil leaders

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by moneybag100: 12:44pm On Sep 24, 2014
safarigirl: you apparently know nothing if you assume you'll just travel out and a job will be waiting for you no matter how degrading.

I'll have you know that even the citizens of wherever you're travelling to would also be interested in that shiiit cleaning business you were hoping to snag....

Whatever money you'll make there will be taken away from you in the name of tax. Nigerians don't even know how good they have it here. You watch a few American movies and you think going abroad will be awesome. Na when dem ship your dead body come Naija na that time your relatives' eye go clear.

Only a lazy man will be poor in Nigeria, people in this country run businesses and make up to 100,000 naira per week, some per day even, when they've settled all bills, they cart home at least 2 million naira quarterly.

Seun, Linda Ikeji and co didn't make their money abroad. Banky W, tiwa Savage, seyi shay, Don Jazzy had to leave foreign lands to come and make money here. You never ask those oness wey go come back wetin make them return, you wan go.

I wish you adieu and make sure some red-neck racist c?nt doesnkt end you while you're hustling there
Only a lazy man will be poor Can you name businesses that generated 100k per week as profit and cheap capital to start them up? Talk is cheap woman!!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by safarigirl(f): 1:48pm On Sep 24, 2014
moneybag100:
Only a lazy man will be poor Can you name businesses that generated 100k per week as profit and cheap capital to start them up? Talk is cheap woman!!
no such thing as 'cheap capital' if you want to make money, you have to spend money.

If you have cheap capital, you'll have cheap returns. Have you asked how much web designers charge per site? Do you know with just 5 jobs per month, one can make 100,000? You're on the internet now, what are you using it for? Do you know there are people on twitter who make money from just advertising for brands? I mean people who are just twitter celebs.

There are various ways you can make money in Nigeria without leaving the comfort of your home, you just need to find the ways

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 1:56am On Sep 25, 2014
safarigirl: no such thing as 'cheap capital' if you want to make money, you have to spend money.

If you have cheap capital, you'll have cheap returns. Have you asked how much web designers charge per site? Do you know with just 5 jobs per month, one can make 100,000? You're on the internet now, what are you using it for? Do you know there are people on twitter who make money from just advertising for brands? I mean people who are just twitter celebs.

There are various ways you can make money in Nigeria without leaving the comfort of your home, you just need to find the ways

Please cease talking about what you don't know.

From your comments you know zilch about life away from Nigeria. You even said "only a lazy man would be poor in Nigeria"....

You must be kidding.

41 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ttmacoy: 7:50am On Sep 25, 2014
justwise:

Its interesting that in a country of about 150 million people you managed to count just few who made it legitimately without going abroad. How about the rest?

Thank you.

She mentioned Linda Ikeji, how many Nigerians also have blogs that are not going anywhere? Thousands if not millions.

It annoys me when people use a small percentage of people to show Nigeria is better than anywhere else e.g. saying dangote didn't travel to make it. Does that mean we all come back or stay and we become as rich as dangote? If it was so how many dangotes have you produced?

As some rightly said it all depends on your definition of "make it". I'm sorry but making it to the majority of nigerians is hammering money irrespective of where or how. Not all of us measure success by millions as money does not bring happiness or fulfilment. I know people who earn millions in banks in Nigeria who are unhappy stressed and unfulfilled. Leaving home 5am cus of traffic and getting home 11pm cus she has to stay so traffic clears. Generator noise every night with so much pollution. Just the general madness in Lagos is enough to make life hard for majority.

As for immigration, someone rightly said the human race will always migrate. Since the 1980's over 200 million Chinese have migrated out of the country. Same with India etc so this is not specific to a Nigeria.
In fact that is why you will see a China town in every major city in the world at least the west. Look at chicago, you have neighbourhoods such as Ukrainian village developed by Ukrainian migrants, little Italy by Italians, andersonville by the Swedish etc.

In summary migration is a fact of life and the choice should be a personal one.

I do agree with some of the OP points as travelling has taken the propotion of a fad, following the crowd and it can be very dangerous travelling abroad without proper plans or believing the road is paved with gold. This isn't helped by the desperation people face everyday. No job, no infrastructure etc unless you are one of the rich.

But i will also say with proper planning, skills etc u have more opportunities abroad.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by dridowu: 8:15am On Sep 25, 2014
As at now if the opportunity comes legally then i won't twice by leaving 9ja but b4 then the success story continues on the street of lasgidi.
God Bless 9ja

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by MsNas(f): 10:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
safarigirl: no such thing as 'cheap capital' if you want to make money, you have to spend money.

Please tell me one way you can make tons of money in Nigeria without leaving your home. I'd love to hear

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by safarigirl(f): 10:48pm On Sep 25, 2014
MsNas:
Please tell me one way you can make tons of money in Nigeria without leaving your home. I'd love to hear
you should go back and read the post you quoted. I gave one example there, or did you skip it?

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by safarigirl(f): 10:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
calebo101:

Please cease talking about what you don't know.

From your comments you know zilch about life away from Nigeria. You even said "only a lazy man would be poor in Nigeria"....

You must be kidding.

Yes, only lazy people, check what it means to be lazy. Most Nigerians are intellectually lazy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by MsNas(f): 3:09am On Sep 26, 2014
safarigirl: you should go back and read the post you quoted. I gave one example there, or did you skip it?
I haven't seen one job that somebody in Naija can wake up and decide "oh darn it. I'm gonna stop walking the streets of Lagos looking for a job. This is gonna be my day job" Twitter celeb you say? So I should go trolling all over twitter space searching for followers so that I can amass enough to make me worthy enough of being able to advertise for them on my page? I'm really dumbfounded.

Nigeria is a great place and people can survive and make a real decent living here. But for many, it's a real dream killer. A place where excellence is not applauded, they will rather turn their nose up at you an "yinmu". Saying, "Na today? E Don tey. Somebody did this sometime back". So?? Encourage, praise, and we will be motivated to get better.

Why won't people wanna get out of Nigeria? When I can be here and not have a dime in my pocket, but I'm not hungry nor homeless. I can afford to overdraw my account and pay back later? Things work. I get my money's worth for services rendered. I went to school and while in school I earned enough to pay my rent and bills and still have some left over to enjoy life moderately? I go to the hospital and after being treated, my bills runs into say $950 but because the medical sector and insurance works well, I am only required to pay the $15 copay and carry my yansh home. Yet you're still asking me why I couldn't stay in Naija?

The corruption has eaten deep into the echelon of the Nigerian society and the youths are the ones at the receiving end. Nigeria where they are screaming youth empowerment, youth empowerment. Yet the youth leader of those political parties are 35-45 year olds! darn!!! what sort of rubbish is that?

Everybody has a choice of. Stay or leave, but the OP should not turn is nose down on people that chose to leave.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by moneybag100: 10:55am On Sep 26, 2014
MsNas:
I haven't seen one job that somebody in Naija can wake up and decide "oh darn it. I'm gonna stop walking the streets of Lagos looking for a job. This is gonna be my day job" Twitter celeb you say? So I should go trolling all over twitter space searching for followers so that I can amass enough to make me worthy enough of being able to advertise for them on my page? I'm really dumbfounded.
Lol...don't mind safrigirl.....

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ibe003(m): 5:05pm On Sep 26, 2014
moneybag100:
Lol...don't mind safrigirl.....
this safarigirl is woman she don't know any thing, I don't even know why she is here this page suppose to be for men, people like am are ready to open yash for mad man abroad just to make money,

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by justwise(m): 5:12pm On Sep 26, 2014
ibe003: this safarigirl is woman she don't know any thing, I don't even know why she is here this page suppose to be for men, people like am are ready to open yash for mad man abroad just to make money,

Only uneducated man from amazon forest can say that in 21st century.

39 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by justwise(m): 7:33pm On Sep 26, 2014
@Pasca07

Can you make your point without insulting her?

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by londoner: 7:51pm On Sep 26, 2014
Well, I think Nigerians (and people from developing countries generally) have an impression about what they will automatically get from simply going abroad. Mentally, they are not prepared.

You see/hear it in the way they relate to family members, that are already abroad. The Nigerians honestly believe those abroad are living the high life, that they have money to burn. That is not the case.

I would not say, don't go abroad, but have a thought to looking homeward once you "make it" (whatever that means to you), and I don't mean just going at Xmas to show off and brainwash people into seeing you as an "oga". Actually make plans to replicate the changes you have seen outside, back in Nigeria. In a way that responds to where Nigeria is now. The changes you say you want to see. They are only abroad because people made it so.

That is what you/we would be enjoying, the effort of people who have made the sacrifice.

There is serious money and success to be made in Nigeria. It may be that it is out of your reach until you leave, to go back in. Many have done it. For those who claim they have not seen a man person abroad, yes you may not have seen them on the streets (which I doubt), but there will definately be hospitals for the mentally ill. There will be the homeless abroad.
If you work and pay tax, you are helping to pay for it.

Please don't let anyone abroad come to NL and lie to you.....lol

Its time Nigerians who go abroad actually tell those at home THE TRUTH about what happens here.

There ARE mad people, there ARE homeless people, there ARE peple who beg, there ARE people who have to go to food banks to be able to feed themselves and their family, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WORKING. There ARE people who really are struggling abroad, including the indegenes of those places.

It's not a paradise. I understand that things may be more accessible if you are outside of the "connection" obsessed Nigeria, but please stop thinking that going abroad is the destination. Its just the start of your journey.

Truly, you are only benefitting from the efforts of people who, previously recognised their country lacked, but they were also willing to stay and build what they wanted to see.

I find it interesting when people cite the health services, roads etc in the country they are in. I would bet money that they NEVER read up on the origins of some of these features of the west. Do they really read up and research their journey to having those things?

Its just the end result. Even countries that once had corrupt leaders, who today dont HAVE A JOURNEY to the society we are enjoying today.

Nigeria needs people who are interested in being part of the journey to the Nigeria they want to see. It is the lack of this type of citizen that ensures nothing changes in Nigeria.

Travel, if you want to, but try not to forget to make your contribution Afterall, if we dont want to contribute to a change, why should we complain, that it is staying the same?

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by londoner: 8:02pm On Sep 26, 2014

I agree that people need to think outside of the box nowadays. That goes for those in and outside of Nigeria. It's no longer the traditional ways of making money. Its no longer just about working for someone else, or 9-5. Sometimes the obvious can be staring you in the face, but because we often have a rigid view about what we want to do in life, we miss opportunities.

You rarely see lazy people in Nigeria, but you see many trapped in tunnel vision and wider expectations of society. Many continue going down a road that has proved itself to be unfruitful for them time and time again.

5 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 26, 2014
bebe2:

even without degree,

just be able to read and write.

u go still see ur level work.

there is a standard of living, if ur job doesnt earn u dat, the govt will top it up.
is that want you think ? even as a minority ? as a legal entrant in the developed countries , you gotta be skilled for you to get a job.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 26, 2014
seun and mods , pls move this to front page.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 26, 2014
My friend left the country some weeks back and he was like am not coming back to nigeria. na to find white girl give belle. I shook my head . first , it is obvious we are underdeveloped but we should not give the western countries that impression that we are nothing without them. if you ask any white man , why a black man wants to com to his country , he would tell you simply to find a better life ... its on the news how africans enter europe from italy having no shelter and nothing to offer. we are gradually becoming parasitic to the western world.The fact remains you are a minority . yes , it is a competitive situation in NIGERIA , success without competition isn't good success. I am yet to see any nigeria that comes back to this country after porting with billions of dollars to be invested..... likes of kase lawal didnt travel for greener pastures but to learn more in our diveristies.... if you have not done something remarkable within your family or neighbourhood and you think you ll be successful when you travel out , I tell you much more failure awaits you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by justwise(m): 10:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
majekdom2: My friend left the country some weeks back and he was like am not coming back to nigeria. na to find white girl give belle. I shook my head . first , it is obvious we are underdeveloped but we should not give the western countries that impression that we are nothing without them. if you ask any white man , why a black man wants to com to his country , he would tell you simply to find a better life ... its on the news how africans enter europe from italy having no shelter and nothing to offer. we are gradually becoming parasitic to the western world.The fact remains you are a minority . yes , it is a competitive situation in NIGERIA , success without competition isn't good success. I am yet to see any nigeria that comes back to this country after porting with billions of dollars to be invested..... likes of kase lawal didnt travel for greener pastures but to learn more in our diveristies.... if you have not done something remarkable within your family or neighbourhood and you think you ll be successful when you travel out , I tell you much more failure awaits you.

Loads of garbage, where did you people get this mind set from?

13 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bebe2(f): 10:30pm On Sep 26, 2014
majekdom2: is that want you think ? even as a minority ? as a legal entrant in the developed countries , you gotta be skilled for you to get a job.

I dont know where u are,

But where I am u can get jobs wit in house training.

cleaning jobs , kitchen assistant, domestic , care etc dont need any type of qualifications. Be able to read and write annnnnndddd if u cant u will get adult education free.

My frd is now a year1 student nurse in university of Canterbury abi na Canterbury. University.

As at this time 3yrs ago she was a class 3 drop out.

If all fails u become govt property, they will give u enuf money to look after yourself and ur children.

5 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 10:30pm On Sep 26, 2014
I am glad that more matured minds are showing up on the thread.
@Londoner. You used my words perfectly than I'd ever put it down. Bless you!
Seun, kindly push this to Front Page, please.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bebe2(f): 10:31pm On Sep 26, 2014
justwise: [/b]

Loads of garbage, where did you people get this mind set from?

Hahaha

Funny bunch grin

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 26, 2014
bebe2:

I dont know where u are,

But where I am u can get jobs wit in house training.

cleaning jobs , kitchen assistant, domestic , care etc dont need any type of qualifications. Be able to read and write annnnnndddd if u cant u will get adult education free.

My frd is now a year1 student nurse in university of Canterbury abi na Canterbury. University.

As at this time 3yrs ago she was a class 3 drop out.

If all fails u become govt property, they will give u enuf money to look after yourself and ur children.

I LAFFF .... you gotta a degree ? just asking... if yes , so you can wash toilet for a white man after all the shakara u use dem big boys do ? Ok , I really dont know you .... you wish to be a government liability ? we need to change our thinking really and understand one needs to be a blessing to others and not liabilities..... because I dont see you bless others when you its the government that feeds you abroad.

5 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by bebe2(f): 10:38pm On Sep 26, 2014
ibe003: this safarigirl is woman she don't know any thing, I don't even know why she is here this page suppose to be for men, people like am are ready to open yash for mad man abroad just to make money,

Chisosssss shocked

O boy? Who do you like this cry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

Fantastic: My First Snow Experience In Europe 2020 (photos, Video) / Mistakes Made By First Timers Travelling By Air / First Commercial Plane To Land At Anambra Airport For Runway Testing (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.