Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. (19606 Views)

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / Teaching Our Children Family Values..... / What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by ayusco85(m): 9:03am On Sep 25, 2014
That's interesting. But I don't ve kids yet. Those that ve kids should encourage their kids to join nairaland and follow this thread grin
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by yuzjet(m): 9:03am On Sep 25, 2014
Thanking God for everything u hv.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Wealthyegg(f): 9:04am On Sep 25, 2014
space booked wanna read the thread first tongue
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by naughtylagosguy(m): 9:05am On Sep 25, 2014
Good.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by sirxbit(m): 9:09am On Sep 25, 2014
Are you out there looking for business to do and gain lots of money before the end of this year? Or maybe you with some cash and do not know the business to start up?well search no more because the solution you seek is waiting for you at www.georgeotemure..com .check it out and fulfil your dreams now
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Rapsainot(m): 9:13am On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012: Hello lovely Nairalanders.
I'm gradually resuming back to NL after my unofficial vacation.
I want us to learn from one another as regards what affects every family, which is...............training of our children, whether biological, adopted or live-ins(i mean relative kids who are living with us temporarily, for one reason or the other), therefore, i will be coming up mostly on threads that have to do with child/ren upbringing and today, we want to start with "teaching our children to always be appreciative, no matter how small or little the favour shown by whoever, be it parents, relatives, friends, visitors, employees/employers, or even strangers.

First, what is gratitude?
Gratitude is the appreciation for a favour given or shown to someone. It is the act of thankfulness. It is being grateful for favour or kindness.

How can we show gratitude?

Personally, the best way to show appreciation is by saying it out............by saying thank you each and everytime a kind of favour is given or shown to someone, without saying it out, the person doing the favour may think his/her favour/kindness is not appreciated, so, the best way to let the person know that you appreciate is by telling the person that you appreciate his good gesture towards you.
Another way is by leading as example, what you don't have, you can't give, if you're the type that's always grateful, they will always copy you. For example, when any of my kids do something nice, i thank them. It means you're indirectly training them to be likewise.
Why showing appreciation?
A yoruba adage says "eni to ba dupe ore ana, a ri emii gba" i.e if you say thank you for a kindness, it is an avenue for you to get another one". However, personally, the reason for being appreciative is not basically to get another one but to show that YOU ARE WELL AND PROPERLY BROUGTH UP. I use to say this, there is no bad elder, it is a bad child that grows to become bad adult, if one does not know how to say thank you for a good deed, then such should not complain when wickedness is shown to him. If somene can go out of his way to assist in one way or the other and the mouth seems to be too heavy to utter just "thank you, such a person should not use the same heavy mouth to complain when a prospective helper refuses to help. This is in support of yoruba adage that says......."eni ti a ba se oore fun, ti ko ba dupe, ti a ba se ika fun, ko ma binu".

When do you start teaching your kids the sense of gratitude?

As early as possible, teaching our kids to be appreciative should start from when they are toddlers, so that they will get used to it. Infact, all my children's first words are...."tan tu" (thank you). They are so used to it now that it makes people , almost everyone that come across them to fall in love with them instantly. They are taught to say "thank you Lord" first thing in the morning, and that also is already part of them that no one can take away from them. Saying thank you by kids make people to conclude that, such kid is well-mannered, even though as kids, they have their flaws, but the sense of gratitude they possess has so much covered their other areas of weakness to the people outside.

How do you instill sense of gratitude into your kids?
Very simple; instist that they say thank you for whatever you do for them at home, even though, it is our duty to take care of our kids, but it's also their right to appreciate it.

Let us learn from one another, if there is any other point to add or modify, please, let's do and learn from one another.
May God help us all parents.
which yoruba are you talking about? Yoruba adage says "Eni taa se loore ti o dupe , odabi olosa koni leru lo ni"
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 25, 2014
Good post there! Many people, especially ladies, lack this good virtue. Nothing is enough for them. This is why they have become a pest to men; asking and asking, and never knowing when to draw the line.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 25, 2014
When money is involved respects comes naturally.

"That was how 1 of my late Dad GF who was my age mate gave me $300.. Didn't know when I said "Thank You Ma" cheesy. Years ago sha

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 25, 2014
Op, Have you heard of Port Harcourt children? They need to hear this!
Infact, this morning, (as a children teacher, I love this topic) one who doesn't greet me by mistake the other day saw me charging my laptop out my house and playing PlayStation on it came closer to check and was watching eagerly with an invitation in mind...hmm...Eventually, I left the place without inviting him. This morning, See Obeisance naa! Brother, good morning! I laff taya!

PS: Watching the programme "Super Nanny" on cable will really help parents know how to handle and discipline their children when necessary.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by buoye1(m): 9:21am On Sep 25, 2014
Nice write up.....
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Mclick(m): 9:25am On Sep 25, 2014
greatgod2012: Hello lovely Nairalanders.
I'm gradually resuming back to NL after my unofficial vacation.
I want us to learn from one another as regards what affects every family, which is...............training of our children, whether biological, adopted or live-ins(i mean relative kids who are living with us temporarily, for one reason or the other), therefore, i will be coming up mostly on threads that have to do with child/ren upbringing and today, we want to start with "teaching our children to always be appreciative, no matter how small or little the favour shown by whoever, be it parents, relatives, friends, visitors, employees/employers, or even strangers.

First, what is gratitude?
Gratitude is the appreciation for a favour given or shown to someone. It is the act of thankfulness. It is being grateful for favour or kindness.

How can we show gratitude?

Personally, the best way to show appreciation is by saying it out............by saying thank you each and everytime a kind of favour is given or shown to someone, without saying it out, the person doing the favour may think his/her favour/kindness is not appreciated, so, the best way to let the person know that you appreciate is by telling the person that you appreciate his good gesture towards you.
Another way is by leading as example, what you don't have, you can't give, if you're the type that's always grateful, they will always copy you. For example, when any of my kids do something nice, i thank them. It means you're indirectly training them to be likewise.
Why showing appreciation?
A yoruba adage says "eni to ba dupe ore ana, a ri emii gba" i.e if you say thank you for a kindness, it is an avenue for you to get another one". However, personally, the reason for being appreciative is not basically to get another one but to show that YOU ARE WELL AND PROPERLY BROUGTH UP. I use to say this, there is no bad elder, it is a bad child that grows to become bad adult, if one does not know how to say thank you for a good deed, then such should not complain when wickedness is shown to him. If somene can go out of his way to assist in one way or the other and the mouth seems to be too heavy to utter just "thank you, such a person should not use the same heavy mouth to complain when a prospective helper refuses to help. This is in support of yoruba adage that says......."eni ti a ba se oore fun, ti ko ba dupe, ti a ba se ika fun, ko ma binu".

When do you start teaching your kids the sense of gratitude?

As early as possible, teaching our kids to be appreciative should start from when they are toddlers, so that they will get used to it. Infact, all my children's first words are...."tan tu" (thank you). They are so used to it now that it makes people , almost everyone that come across them to fall in love with them instantly. They are taught to say "thank you Lord" first thing in the morning, and that also is already part of them that no one can take away from them. Saying thank you by kids make people to conclude that, such kid is well-mannered, even though as kids, they have their flaws, but the sense of gratitude they possess has so much covered their other areas of weakness to the people outside.

How do you instill sense of gratitude into your kids?
Very simple; instist that they say thank you for whatever you do for them at home, even though, it is our duty to take care of our kids, but it's also their right to appreciate it.

Let us learn from one another, if there is any other point to add or modify, please, let's do and learn from one another.
May God help us all parents.
inculcating sense of gratitude in kids good, not just only that, a lot of parent now, first of all dont have time for and some have the time are fond of overlooking certain traits in their ward with the excuse that they will stop those character when they grow up, or in the name of exposure/imbibing western life style, these are the reason for high moral decadence in our society today. Some of them when they grow up with so much opportunity available for them to make something out of their life, they can't until the little achievement of the said parent is depleted
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 25, 2014
letsdothis:

Did you enjoy it last night? You were wet throughout hmmm.
Silence is golden.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by shehuakafi(m): 9:26am On Sep 25, 2014
German Muslim scholar replies on
TERRORISM ... I liked the
answer of this German Muslim scholar
when he was asked
about terrorism and Islam : He said : Who
started the first
world war? not Muslims ? Who started the
second world war ?
not Muslims ? Who killed about 20 millions
of Aborigines in
Australia ? not Muslims ?? Who sent the
nuclear bombs of
Hiroshima and Nagasaki ? not Muslims ??
killed more than
100 millions of Indians in North America ?
not Muslims ??
Who killed more than 50 millions of Indians
in south
America ? not Muslims ?? Who took about
180 millions of
African people as slaves and 88% of them
died and were
thrown in Atlantic ocean ? not Muslims ??
No , NOT Muslims!!!
First of all, You have to define terrorism
properly... If a non-
Muslim does something bad..it is crime.
But if a Muslim
commits the same..he is a terrorist... So
first remove this
double standard...then come to the
point!!! , . . . . . I am proud
to be a MUSLIM !!! ARE YOU

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by Apitch(m): 9:26am On Sep 25, 2014
emusmith: Op, Have you heard of Port Harcourt children? They need to hear this!
Infact, this morning, (as a children teacher, I love this topic) one who doesn't greet me by mistake the other day saw me charging my laptop out my house and playing PlayStation on it came closer to check and was watching eagerly with an invitation in mind...hmm...Eventually, I left the place without inviting him. This morning, See Obeisance naa! Brother, good morning! I laff taya!

PS: Watching the programme "Super Nanny" on cable will really help parents know how to handle and discipline their children when necessary.
I swore never to raise my kids in PHC! Even with ur good training, they pick up silly attitudes from school.
Apologies to anyone offended but I'm talkig from experience

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by lirusehn(m): 9:28am On Sep 25, 2014
glimpse:

amen. I am not married yet , but I have been praying for my unborn kids. I would add this to the prayer.

incase you see the need to get married ASAP even without proper planning plz PM me . Thankz.

undecided

3 Likes

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by tundeayo2020: 9:35am On Sep 25, 2014
nice post. . two thumbs u @op
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by PassingShot(m): 9:39am On Sep 25, 2014
temigracie: ..hmmm....@OP...Tanks for sharing this useful and valuable information....

Like one yoruba proverb that says 'Ati kekere latin paka iroko'....It means foundation matters alot....We should not wait till when our children becomes dried fish before we try to bend them to do our wish...

Lol at the bolded. Does the proverb really translate to that?

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by garrimallam: 9:45am On Sep 25, 2014
Tnk God we have choose this way today
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by PassingShot(m): 9:45am On Sep 25, 2014
Apitch:
I swore never to raise my kids in PHC! Even with ur good training, they pick up silly attitudes from school.
Apologies to anyone offended but I'm talkig from experience

Add Warri to your list of places not to raise your kids. You will need special prayers for them to come out good. Been there done that.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by AriDsexy(f): 9:54am On Sep 25, 2014
Train up a child in the way he should grow,when he his old,he will not depart from it....little things matters a lot.My parents did a good job while I was growing up and I turned out well.I'll definetely pass it to my unborn children.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by naijathings(m): 9:58am On Sep 25, 2014
Three very important words that open doors and change things for the better.

Thank You
Please
Sorry.

I find it very difficult to offer assistance to a person who hardly says "thank you"..
It burns me the more when you go out of your way to help someone and the person just walks off when you bring up the issue of ingratitude, they just say.." shey na thank you wey u wan chop.. Thank you" it is annoying. But the truth is that not everyone comes from a HOME. Some came from a HOUSE with people living in it.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by AriDsexy(f): 10:00am On Sep 25, 2014
PassingShot:

Add Warri to your list of places not to raise your kids. You will need special prayers for them to come out good. Been there done that.
Correct!Most people from there don't even know how to speak well,and they behave in some kind of "razz" manner.I said most not all before they cut of my head.
PS:I'm from there also but refused to stay there.The're nice and warm people,also like d slangs,but not a place to train up a child.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by egopersonified(f): 10:02am On Sep 25, 2014
lirusehn:

incase you see the need to get married ASAP even without proper planning plz PM me . Thankz.

undecided
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by merits(m): 10:06am On Sep 25, 2014
[color=#000099][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] ;Dare you sure.

Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by SirHouloo(m): 10:10am On Sep 25, 2014
Pls Hammer this very well so dat our ladies can just stop seeing guys as oil well... Abi sex is part of appreciation ni? Atleast both sides benefits from it.
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by ijbeauty(f): 10:13am On Sep 25, 2014
On my own part its very important to appreciate every little help through words or action...

If someone corrects you, say thank you
If someone spends time with you (tru call, chats hang out or any), say thank you
If you are offered any help no matter how little it might be, say thank you..

Being grateful really opens way for greater favour
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by sufmo: 10:14am On Sep 25, 2014
ds is nice.atleast som Männerless nairalanders wud Learn so dey cud atleast teach dia children Wat de dint hv d opportunity of learning .
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by expensive007(m): 10:23am On Sep 25, 2014
kreamidiva:

My daughter was taught one song in nursery 1:

There are five magic words
There are five ,magic words
There are five magic words that i know...
"Please", "excuse me", "sorry", "thank you"
And the last one... "pardon me".

If she grows up with that song in mind,she would surely be good mannered.
If she chooses to use them outwardly, and not inwardly alone. you see, it is not enough to have something in mind, but it is important to use them outside. i pray God will continually help us to be more mannerful. 'thank you!' grin grin grin
Re: Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. by kemiola89(f): 10:28am On Sep 25, 2014
@OP, thank you for this wonderful thread. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson / Women: Guard Your Beauty, It Is A Blessing! / “children Are A Burden. They Slow Down Careers & Are Time Consuming” - Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.