Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,458 members, 7,808,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit (1797 Views)

Nima Elbagir Enters Sambisa Forest With The Aid Of Security Personnel. Photos / Oyibo Man Enters LASTMA Bike To Beat Traffic On Ikorodu Road [photos] / Nigeria Launches 2 New Satellites Into Orbit - GEJ Confirms on NTA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by asala1: 4:14am On Sep 24, 2014
India has successfully put a satellite into orbit around Mars on its first attempt.

The Mangalyaan robotic probe arrived in orbit early on Wednesday following a 10-month journey from Earth.
A 24-minute engine burn slowed the probe down enough to allow it to be captured by Mars' gravity.
PM Narendra Modi congratulated the scientists and said India had achieved the "near impossible by successfully reaching Mars".
It's the first country in the world to succeed in its first attempt to enter the Mars orbit, said S. Satish, a space expert based in Bangalore, India.
"It's a great technical achievement for the country," he said.

To date, only the U.S., Europe and the Soviets have successfully sent spacecraft to Mars. China's joint mission with Russia in 2011, which contained the Chinese Mars satellite, Yinhuo-1 stalled and eventually fell back to Earth. Japan's 1998 attempt with the spacecraft Nozomi was also unsuccessful due to fuel problems.

ISRO spent significantly less than NASA on its Mars mission. Some space observers noted that India's Mars orbiter cost less than the $100 million budget for the space thriller "Gravity."
"It shows how optimal is the design, that way we're able to cut cost and we're not compromising quality," Satish said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28268186
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/23/world/asia/mars-india-orbiter/index.html?hpt=ias_c1

Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by asala1: 4:21am On Sep 24, 2014
Our space program here is just for embezzling and siphoning money. We sure have a long way to go. God help us.

2 Likes

Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by Darteyyyy(m): 4:25am On Sep 24, 2014
Don't worry, a sub-committee is working on the committee already.

Ours will be the "embezzlement robotic probe"....

2 Likes

Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by moderatorr: 4:48am On Sep 24, 2014
na today? Nigeria has done it before, we have successfully put a satellite into bruno mars cheesy
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by bigtt76(f): 5:35am On Sep 24, 2014
They are trying to project PDP on to Mars by 2015 grin

asala1: Our space program here is just for embezzling and siphoning money. We sure have a long way to go. God help us.
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by Rawani: 5:48am On Sep 24, 2014
You can trust the white supremacist western media to downplay and take a muted stance on this great accomplishment from the Indians. Their skin colour is not bright enough for them to to be taken seriously.

4 Likes

Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by heavenmade(m): 6:35am On Sep 24, 2014
I am really impressed with this laudable achievement of theirs. I hope Nigeria will learn from india in her recent strides in science and technology. It is just sad that we are still running here and there to buy military equipments where countries like Iran,india are making drones and different forms of spacecrafts.

1 Like

Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by datguru: 6:36am On Sep 24, 2014
Nice one from them
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by mainheart(m): 6:51am On Sep 24, 2014
Edo people have been there uncountable time but the forget to put the satellite
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by mainheart(m): 6:51am On Sep 24, 2014
Edo people have been there uncountable time but the forget to put the satellite ;DEdo people have been there uncountable time but the forget to put the satellite
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by F117A: 7:25am On Sep 24, 2014
bigtt76: They are trying to project PDP on to Mars by 2015 grin

So if Nigeria spends billions of dollars getting people to space,you will not see anything wrong with it?
lol.
You people are not ready for devt yet, as you dont even know your priorities.

1 Like

Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by asala1: 7:32am On Sep 24, 2014
Rawani: You can trust the white supremacist western media to downplay and take a muted stance on this great accomplishment from the Indians. Their skin colour is not bright enough for them to to be taken serious.

Yes, you are right. MSM with their pull them down syndrome with comments like these:

Others like economist-activist Jean Dreze have said the mission "seems to be part of the Indian elite's delusional quest for superpower status".

or

What if the 16,000 scientists and engineers now working on space development were deployed instead to fix rotten sanitation? And why should donors bother to help tackle poverty where governments have enough spare resources to think about space? For some countries, at least, decent answers exist to such questions - See more at: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/11/economist-explains-0#sthash.VCvriNyB.dpuf

or

From a distance, India's extra-terrestrial ambitions might seem like a waste of money. The country still has immense numbers of poor people: two-fifths of its children remain stunted from malnutrition and half the population lack proper toilets. - See more at: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/11/economist-explains-0#sthash.VCvriNyB.dpuf

The truth is you can hardly read any MSM news or report without statements like these ending it.

1 Like

Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by bigtt76(f): 9:22am On Sep 24, 2014
I guess you can identify sarcasm when you read one right? grin

F117A: So if Nigeria spends billions of dollars getting people to space,you will not see anything wrong with it?
lol.
You people are not ready for devt yet, as you dont even know your priorities.
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 24, 2014
asala1: Our space program here is just for embezzling and siphoning money. We sure have a long way to go. God help us.

cynicism go kill Nigerians oo! If you don't know about something, why don't you just ask? At least, that won't kill you! FYI, we have the BEST and the MOST active space programme in the whole of Africa. By next year, we will be sending a man to space.
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by asala1: 8:30pm On Sep 24, 2014
craziebone:

cynicism go kill Nigerians oo! If you don't know about something, why don't you just ask? At least, that won't kill you! FYI, we have the BEST and the MOST active space programme in the whole of Africa. By next year, we will be sending a man to space.

You are joking right? Which space? I guess it is the space between your house and your next neighbour. None of Nigeria's satellite in the earth orbit was built and lunched from Nigeria. All na my friend help me. You are here talking about putting a man in space, I like your optimism but it doesn't help.

1 Like

Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 25, 2014
asala1:

You are joking right? Which space? I guess it is the space between your house and your next neighbour. None of Nigeria's satellite in the earth orbit was built and lunched from Nigeria. All na my friend help me. You are here talking about putting a man in space, I like your optimism but it doesn't help.

mtchewwwwww
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 25, 2014
Welll, call those articles eurocentric all you want, BUT there is an element of truth there.

I bet you would say the same assuming Nigeria/GEJ sent a probe to mars.
asala1:

Yes, you are right. MSM with their pull them down syndrome with comments like these:

Others like economist-activist Jean Dreze have said the mission "seems to be part of the Indian elite's delusional quest for superpower status".

or

What if the 16,000 scientists and engineers now working on space development were deployed instead to fix rotten sanitation? And why should donors bother to help tackle poverty where governments have enough spare resources to think about space? For some countries, at least, decent answers exist to such questions - See more at: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/11/economist-explains-0#sthash.VCvriNyB.dpuf

or

From a distance, India's extra-terrestrial ambitions might seem like a waste of money. The country still has immense numbers of poor people: two-fifths of its children remain stunted from malnutrition and half the population lack proper toilets. - See more at: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/11/economist-explains-0#sthash.VCvriNyB.dpuf

The truth is you can hardly read any MSM news or report without statements like these ending it.
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by asala1: 6:25am On Sep 26, 2014
chulla12: Welll, call those articles eurocentric all you want, BUT there is an element of truth there.

I bet you would say the same assuming Nigeria/GEJ sent a probe to mars.

You can't compare Nigeria to India on that level, and NO, i won't say the same for Nigeria. India has developed their space program to a far higher level and it is business there, they have lunch more than 70 satellites and about 35 of those for foreign countries (many of them for developed countries). At the present, there is about $200 billions worth of business in space industry and every right thinking county want to have a share of it. What India is saying is that, they can do it well at a lesser price. Same can't be said of our space program here in Nigeria.
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by asala1: 6:27am On Sep 26, 2014
craziebone:

mtchewwwwww

I understand. Nothing to say.
Re: India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit by BlackTechnology: 6:39am On Sep 26, 2014
Oga Jona

#InvolveOurHigherInstitutionsInSpaceMissions

We can build spacecrafts

We can build satellites

We can place men on other planets

Jona

Give

Our

Higher

Institutions

A

Chance

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Pardons Gej's Insults To Nigerians / APC/BUHARI Fans,pls Explain This / Which Core North Governors Aren't Fulani?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.