Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

* Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * (2799 Views)

Swear If You Never Did This: Why Then Beating Ur Kid For It? / The Wife Beating Campaign On Nairaland / Nigerian Lady Dies From Injuries Sustained From Beating By Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

* Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 9:40am On Sep 24, 2014
If i can remember vividly, there was this girl i had isshh with, i was just 15years then. Actually she was my neighbour, i didnt really like her (sincerely typing), and i don't think i will like her even if we get to meet again by chance. She was so insulting and proud, maybe it's because of her beauty. That fact alone made me dislike her, and i sought for opportunity to teach her some manners. I later found one shaa.
One blessed morning, as i was washing my dad's car, she was also washing her dad's. Mistakenly, i poured soap leather on the side screen of her dad's car. As i expected, she didnt disappoint me. She started raining injurious insults on me, calling me animalistic names. I tried managing the situation, until she said i did it intentionally because my dad's car was inferior to her dad's (lolz), i couldn't bear it any longer. To cut the long story short, i dealt with her that day, i really taught her manners and i still thank God for that day.
After the WWE smackdown, my dad called me into the house and taught me my own lesson. Later that day, he called me in his room and told me a few words that i still can't forget in a hurry. He said, "Women are the most provocative creatures on earth, and it takes huge tolerance and responsibilty to avoid beating them up each time they mess up. If you wanna be a real and responsible man; Don't Beat Women". From that day onwards, i find it very difficult to hit a woman, and it has really saved me my life.

Back to the matter of the day. Domestic violence can take a number of forms including physical, emotional, verbal, economic and sexual abuse, which can range from subtle, coercive forms to marital rape and to violent physical abuse that results in disfigurement or death. The worst of them all is battering, which is the most critical. Recently, i've come to see most men resolve issues concerning women with violence. I don't think its reasonable and rational. Though beating stubborn women might be fun, like the one i experienced 9 years ago; but i still don't think its the best way of resolving relationship conflicts.
It is high time men learnt how to use their high natural wisdom in resolving issues relating to women rather than applying violence on them. That you have the strength doesn't mean you should use it against women. It is unacceptable.

The preponderance of such issues have raised questions like "what really causes domestic violence and wife battering, why should someone beat his wife/mother/sister/girlfriend, how can domestic violence be curbed?" i may not have direct and correct ansers to those questions, unlike some of you that might have, but i think men should come to accept the fact that the ability to tolerate women is one of the greatest features of responsible and real men. Thats for those who chose to be responsible.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Ekiseme(m): 9:46am On Sep 24, 2014
Noted
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 10:35am On Sep 24, 2014
I usually step away to put some distance between myself and a woman whose mouth starts running.

The problem however with this method lies in the fact that one can only walk away so many times until they're in a situation where they can't.
What are we to do then?

Take the case of a kid:
You're watching a movie on TV, this kid keeps going to the TV set to tap his hand on the screen.
You have warned him severally never to do that...sometimes you raised your voice and frowned your face, it worked..the child stepped back.
Unfortunately, another day the child does the same thing...but this time around, as he taps the screen, he keeps looking back at you aware that you're only going to raise your voice and frown.
He already expects the usual reaction, and because of the frequency of it, he has gotten quite used to it...hence, raising your voice and frowning doesn't work anymore.
Now one day you have had enough, he repeats the same thing...but this time, instead of just frowning and raising your voice, you get up, walk towards him and place a light slap (sufficient enough to cause pain but not enough to cause injury) on his cheek...you tell him that you have warned him severally to desist and that the slap is meant to teach him obedience.
The boy is stunned!
He is both surprised and hurt, he cries and tries to get you to pet him...but you don't. Today you're willing to listen to his cries. If there's someone else in the house, the kid turns to them to get sympathy since you're not moved.

You have effectively associated tapping the TV screen to receiving a painful slap on the cheek...only a terribly stubborn child would repeat that stuff in your presence another day.

Sorry for the long post, I intended passing a point and I believe I have.
Some ladies are going to critic my post using the old line, "a full grown woman is not a child that should be slapped."
Well, throwing tantrums and insults around is more of a child's behaviour than it is an adults'.

Okay some may not critic it again cos I've said so, but they'll definitely think it.. grin

7 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by jacabi(m): 10:43am On Sep 24, 2014
Whatsoever might be the reason, any man that beats his wife is a lunatic.

3 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 11:28am On Sep 24, 2014
crackhaus: I usually step away to put some distance between myself and a woman whose mouth starts running.

The problem however with this method lies in the fact that one can only walk away so many times until they're in a situation where they can't.
What are we to do then?

Take the case of a kid:
You're watching a movie on TV, this kid keeps going to the TV set to tap his hand on the screen.
You have warned him severally never to do that...sometimes you raised your voice and frowned your face, it worked..the child stepped back.
Unfortunately, another day the child does the same thing...but this time around, as he taps the screen, he keeps looking back at you aware that you're only going to raise your voice and frown.
He already expects the usual reaction, and because of the frequency of it, he has gotten quite used to it...hence, raising your voice and frowning doesn't work anymore.
Now one day you have had enough, he repeats the same thing...but this time, instead of just frowning and raising your voice, you get up, walk towards him and place a light slap (sufficient enough to cause pain but not enough to cause injury) on his cheek...you tell him that you have warned him severally to desist and that the slap is meant to teach him obedience.
The boy is stunned!
He is both surprised and hurt, he cries and tries to get you to pet him...but you don't. Today you're willing to listen to his cries. If there's someone else in the house, the kid turns to them to get sympathy since you're not moved.

You have effectively associated tapping the TV screen to receiving a painful slap on the cheek...only a terribly stubborn child would repeat that stuff in your presence another day.

Some ladies are going to critic my post using the old line, "a full grown woman is not a child that should be slapped."
Well, throwing tantrums and insults around is more of a child's behaviour than it is an adults'.

Okay some may not critic it again cos I've said so, but they'll definitely think it.. grin
long, but very meaningful. But let me state another scenario here..

What if the child still gets used to the light slap, that he doesn't desist from offending you?

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 11:32am On Sep 24, 2014
jacabi: Whatsoever might be the reason, any man that beats his wife is a lunatic.
i agree with you!... But not when you meet a woman with a spiritual problem!..lolz!...
Just trynna be funny!...
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by jacabi(m): 11:38am On Sep 24, 2014
Sepp360: i agree with you!... But not when you meet a woman with a spiritual problem!..lolz!...
Just trynna be funny!...
Then she needs spiritual solution.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 11:59am On Sep 24, 2014
Sepp360: long, but very meaningful. But let me state another scenario here..

What if the child still gets used to the light slap, that he doesn't desist from offending you?
Good question.
A normal child with moderate stubbornness will never do it again, but there's a possibility that he may try it again just to dare.
The difference when this happens is that, the moment you raise your voice and start moving towards him, he'll stop.

A full grown woman would not want to antagonize her man again especially if the man does not deserve it. Remember, my slap scenario only occurred after there must have been many confrontations where the man walked away.
Clearly, a woman with such an insultive streak knows in her mind that the man had controlled himself so much until he just couldn't anymore.

While we're preaching against physical abuse on women in whatever form or intensity, we should also admonish wives to refrain from antagonizing/pushing their husbands past his emotional threshold...there's only so much a person can take no matter the level of self-control they claim to possess.
It takes just the right amount of built up feelings, anxiety, anger, and the wrong scenario to get anyone to react in a way that even surprises themselves.

PS:
All I've submitted so far does not include men who are serial abusers.

5 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 2:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
Yes I'm going to criticize it. angry tongue

But seriously you can divorce your wife for emotional abuse.

If she keeps saying hurtful things and doesn't seem to know when to stop.call her on days when both you are very much lovey dovey and TELL her how her words make you feel.

To me this can work better than hitting. Hitting may even dreg up worse words than the ones she provoked you with. Because that's the only way she knows how to fight back.
What are you going to do? Keep hitting until she stops? Like she will.

I won't blame a man who opts for temporary seperation from a wife who's always insulting and mean mouthed.it'll surely teach what she stands to lose if she keeps running her mouth.

crackhaus: I usually step away to put some distance between myself and a woman whose mouth starts running.

What are we to do then?

Take the case of a kid:
The boy is stunned!

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 3:50pm On Sep 24, 2014
crackhaus:
Good question.
A normal child with moderate stubbornness will never do it again, but there's a possibility that he may try it again just to dare.
The difference when this happens is that, the moment you raise your voice and start moving towards him, he'll stop.

A full grown woman would not want to antagonize her man again especially if the man does not deserve it. Remember, my slap scenario only occurred after there must have been many confrontations where the man walked away.
Clearly, a woman with such an insultive streak knows in her mind that the man had controlled himself so much until he just couldn't anymore.

While we're preaching against physical abuse on women in whatever form or intensity, we should also admonish wives to refrain from antagonizing/pushing their husbands past his emotional threshold...there's only so much a person can take no matter the level of self-control they claim to possess.
It takes just the right amount of built up feelings, anxiety, anger, and the wrong scenario to get anyone to react in a way that even surprises themselves.

PS:
All I've submitted so far does not include men who are serial abusers.
hmmm!... You just said it all!...
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2014
jacabi:
Then she needs spiritual solution.
lolz!... Funny you!
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by JEITO: 6:10pm On Sep 24, 2014
Age is not maturity, any man that hits his wife for any reason, is immature and not ripe for marriage.

A disgrace to Manhood I must say.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 6:41pm On Sep 24, 2014
JEITO: Age is not maturity, any man that hits his wife for any reason, is immature and not ripe for marriage.

A disgrace to Manhood I must say.
definitely my bro!
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 24, 2014
I was listening to charles b show yesterday and a man made a very good point. he said , this issue is always about women and why is it so .it is because a man can hold on to his pains compared to a lady . she voices out because the society expects her to as it is the normal norm. what am I trying to say? it is not every man's wish to see his house separated but some of this men take real shits from their women before doing what they did. am not trying to supports a man that hits his wife. she might be complaining her hubby is this or that without we asking the kind of person she really is. some people say its normal for a woman to nag or insult her hubby ... I totally disagree with that , respect is earned . A woman who nags actually wants no peace for herself , so I was like what if i decide to separate myself from a nagging woman ... the counsellors were like you have to endure , that marriage is a covenant and it is only death that separates a covenant backing it up with the bible but the bible gave reasons where divorce is neccessary. the bible preaches against insults , abuse on your spouse .A woman who wishes well for her family would envisagae peace.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by isokey: 8:13pm On Sep 24, 2014
jacabi: Whatsoever might be the reason, any man that beats his wife is a lunatic.
Lol...U can say that again. They will not like your post coz they knw what they do....Lolzzz

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 8:31pm On Sep 24, 2014
cococandy: Yes I'm going to criticize it. angry tongue

But seriously you can divorce your wife for emotional abuse.

If she keeps saying hurtful things and doesn't seem to know when to stop.call her on days when both you are very much lovey dovey and TELL her how her words make you feel.

To me this can work better than hitting. Hitting may even dreg up worse words than the ones she provoked you with. Because that's the only way she knows how to fight back.
What are you going to do? Keep hitting until she stops? Like she will.

I won't blame a man who opts for temporary seperation from a wife who's always insulting and mean mouthed.it'll surely teach what she stands to lose if she keeps running her mouth.

I never prescribed 'hitting', I implied that a time may come when a person is pushed beyond his threshold...as for temporary separation, isn't that worse?
I'd rather go through the talk process than opt for 'temporary separation', walking away from a problem like this will hardly solve anything.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 8:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
Yea I knew you weren't prescribing.
You were just giving an example of a scenario in which it may be understandable.
crackhaus:
I never prescribed 'hitting', I implied that a time may come when a person is pushed beyond his threshold...as for temporary separation, isn't that worse?
I'd rather go through the talk process than opt for 'temporary separation', walking away from a problem like this will hardly solve anything.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by jacabi(m): 8:42pm On Sep 24, 2014
isokey:
Lol...U can say that again. They will not like your post coz they knw what they do....Lolzzz
I don't mind. What I hate most, seing between couples is husband beating his wife. Another thing is, after going up and down in the kitchen to prepare what the man will eat, just because of little misunderstanding, the man refuses to eat. In fact if I were God I would hinder some men from getting married. I don't just like it when women are being maltreated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 8:47pm On Sep 24, 2014
cococandy: Yea I knew you weren't prescribing.
You were just giving an example of a scenario in which it may be understandable.
And I'm guessing your angle is that it can never be understandable, right?
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 8:57pm On Sep 24, 2014
Well...

It's not really black and white.

Saying a man can't be pushed to react will be me lying to myself.

But there's a risk in saying it is understandable.it opens doors for all kinds of misunderstandings about the acceptability of violence.

So to get rid of it or at least to attempt to get rid of it,we must always be clear that we chose not to understand it.
Understanding can lead to acceptance.

That we don't want
crackhaus:
And I'm guessing your angle is that it can never be understandable, right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 24, 2014
Sepp360: If i can remember vividly, there was this girl i had isshh with, i was just 15years then. Actually she was my neighbour, i didnt really like her (sincerely typing), and i don't think i will like her even if we get to meet again by chance. She was so insulting and proud, maybe it's because of her beauty. That fact alone made me dislike her, and i sought for opportunity to teach her some manners. I later found one shaa.
One blessed morning, as i was washing my dad's car, she was also washing her dad's. Mistakenly, i poured soap leather on the side screen of her dad's car. As i expected, she didnt disappoint me. She started raining injurious insults on me, calling me animalistic names. I tried managing the situation, until she said i did it intentionally because my dad's car was inferior to her dad's (lolz), i couldn't bear it any longer. To cut the long story short, i dealt with her that day, i really taught her manners and i still thank God for that day.
After the WWE smackdown, my dad called me into the house and taught me my own lesson. Later that day, he called me in his room and told me a few words that i still can't forget in a hurry. He said, "Women are the most provocative creatures on earth, and it takes huge tolerance and responsibilty to avoid beating them up each time they mess up. If you wanna be a real and responsible man; Don't Beat Women". From that day onwards, i find it very difficult to hit a woman, and it has really saved me my life.

Back to the matter of the day. Domestic violence can take a number of forms including physical, emotional, verbal, economic and sexual abuse, which can range from subtle, coercive forms to marital rape and to violent physical abuse that results in disfigurement or death. The worst of them all is battering, which is the most critical. Recently, i've come to see most men resolve issues concerning women with violence. I don't think its reasonable and rational. Though beating stubborn women might be fun, like the one i experienced 9 years ago; but i still don't think its the best way of resolving relationship conflicts.
It is high time men learnt how to use their high natural wisdom in resolving issues relating to women rather than applying violence on them. That you have the strength doesn't mean you should use it against women. It is unacceptable.

The preponderance of such issues have raised questions like "what really causes domestic violence and wife battering, why should someone beat his wife/mother/sister/girlfriend, how can domestic violence be curbed?" i may not have direct and correct ansers to those questions, unlike some of you that might have, but i think men should come to accept the fact that the ability to tolerate women is one of the greatest features of responsible and real men. Thats for those who chose to be responsible.

Blah blah blah, violence is the take because the law refused to do anything about it. Politicians fvcking y'alls, army beating up people. Men beating up women, women beating up housemaids, housemaids transferring aggression to the kids. And the circle continues.

Nigeria is a jungle, y'all better learn the skills to survive, the earlier the better.

4 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2014
I'm going to learn taekwondo grin
chillisauce:
Nigeria is a jungle, y'all better learn the skills to survive, the earlier the better.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Sepp360(m): 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2014
Chillisauce:

Blah blah blah, violence is the take because the law refused to do anything about it. Politicians fvcking y'alls, army beating up people. Men beating up women, women beating up housemaids, housemaids transferring aggression to the kids. And the circle continues.

hahahaha!... Guy, u take something?...

Nor vex oo, na queshion me ask u so!
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by crackhaus: 9:10pm On Sep 24, 2014
cococandy: Well...

It's not really black and white.

Saying a man can't be pushed to react will be me lying to myself.

But there's a risk in saying it is understandable.it opens doors for all kinds of misunderstandings about the acceptability of violence.

So to get rid of at or at least to attempt to get rid of it,we must always be clear that we chose not to understand it.
Understanding can lead to acceptance.

That we don't want
Indeed @emboldened, I believe I can safely refer to that as a case of 'plausible deniability'. cool

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2014
cococandy: I'm going to learn taekwondo grin

Im telling you. But seriously, the men suffer it the most. I can't even tell how many times a military man slaps a man jus because he tries to question him.
These are the things we should address. no! Feminism is our problem . Ladies even have an easy way out sef.
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
Sepp360: hahahaha!... Guy, u take something?...

Nor vex oo, na queshion me ask u so!

How u carry know?
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 9:16pm On Sep 24, 2014
smiley
crackhaus:
Indeed @emboldened, I believe I can safely refer to that as a case of 'plausible deniability'. cool
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by mentorandfriend(m): 9:16pm On Sep 24, 2014
Op, if I was there that day you laid your hand on that girl, I would have dealt with your idiotic head. Guys for whatever reason that exhibit violent acts to women must really be mad. At our estate sometime ago, I met a guy slapping her girlfriend front and back for not picking his calls the previous day. It was a lonely night. Nobody was in sight. The girl was helpless. I weighed up the guy and told him I'd like to have a word with him. I took him to a corner and taught him discipline. I told the girl to go home to her parents. Beating a lady (your girlfriend, wife or even sister) for any reason at all is the highest form of cowardice.

3 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by cococandy(f): 9:17pm On Sep 24, 2014
Seriously. Being a man in the wrong place at the wrong time in Nigeria can get you a prison sentence of 10yrs to life with no possibility of parole grin

Chillisauce:

Im telling you. But seriously, the men suffer it the most. I can't even tell how many times a military man slaps a man jus because he tries to question him.
These are the things we should address. no! Feminism is our problem . Ladies even have an easy way out sef.

1 Like

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 24, 2014
mentorandfriend: Op, if I was there that day you laid your hand on that girl, I would delt with your idiotic head. Guys, for whatever reason that exhibit violent acts to women must really be mad. At our estate sometime ago, I met a guy slapping her girlfriend front and back for not picking his calls the previous day. It was a lonely night. Nobody was in sight. The girl was helpless. I weighed up the guy and told him I'd like to have a word with him. I took him to a corner and taught him discipline. I told the girl to go home to her parents. Beating a lady (your girlfriend, wife or even sister) for any reason at all is the highest form of cowardice.

Pls, someone give this man a beer.

Man, you too much. Pls continue the good work of knocking off teeth

2 Likes

Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 24, 2014
cococandy: Seriously. Being a man in the wrong place at the wrong time in Nigeria can get you a prison sentence of 10yrs to life with no possibility of parole grin

They locked up my jobless neighbours brother once when he was going to look for a job. Police just arrived at the area, packaged every male around the vicinity on suspected robbery case. For two days they were looking for the poor guy .
He was later released after paying 15k. embarassed
Re: * Wife Beating And Domestic Violence * by coogar: 9:36pm On Sep 24, 2014
Chillisauce:

They locked up my jobless neighbours brother once when he was going to look for a job. Police just arrived at the area, packaged every male around the vicinity on suspected robbery case. For two days they were looking for the poor guy .
He was later released after paying 15k.
embarassed

and this is one of the reasons i think nigeria is the best country in the world. don't you find going to the work in the morning & returning in the evening sometimes boring & monotonous?

i think i prefer waking up & not be really sure i will be returning home more exciting. there's a thrill to that & nigeria gives you that everyday of the week.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beds & Cabinets: Ladies, Which Of These Will You Rock? / Over All The IVF Process Has Been A Good One / Learn About Health Benefits Of Banana Peels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 337
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.