Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,797 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) (62795 Views)

Have You Ever Tried This Method of Identifying Rotten Eggs ? Photo / Cooking Tips For Career Minded Single Guys (pictures Included) / What Is The Craziest Food Combination You Have Ever Tried? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 26, 2014
I don't think it's an 'igbo thing', so I don't have one....neither do I know how to use it, but I know it. I used to see my yoruba neighbours in Lag, use it way back. I stick to my mortar/pestle
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 26, 2014
Lol. My Uncle wife have it and probably because she's from Edo State. cheesy Though she seldomnly use it.

Even my Grandma doesn't have it sef. Definately, na mortar and pistol sure passsmiley
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2014
NoQualms1:

Yes o, one can grind the egusi till its oil start coming out. My mum even grind locust beans (iru) on it. I have always hated it sha, it's putting oneself through unnecessary stress. I no longer use it ever since I left my parents' place.
I do it once in a whyle, especially when I want to make akara or moimoi for myself alone.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2014
I miss this, it was enjoyable and nice; the most important part is the way you bend...
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Sparklesebony: 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
Godmystrength: shocked shocked shocked

Lol. Agree with you It will seem as if your palms are on fire until you/your palms get used to it.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by destante(f): 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
Buoyantic: Yoruba and dia dirty life style
shocked you diss Yoruba people? waawu angry

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by uchemummy(f): 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
If I ever try this my hands will swell up.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by AfricanApple(f): 5:37pm On Sep 26, 2014
Amusaopeyemi: Sure na, I can grind Egusi and beans lyk that too. My mom taught me.
I hail o

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Ormorlehwah(f): 5:37pm On Sep 26, 2014
Godmystrength: do you mean to say akara? because the stress of getting the beans paste smooth enough for moi moi will be too much o
I mean moi moi, it cant be more dan 3cups and i wil grind it smoothly the way I want.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by tellwisdom: 5:38pm On Sep 26, 2014
Op, you are a very foolish person...I'm not poor. only poor people use it angry

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by temhab(f): 5:38pm On Sep 26, 2014
I just did that now
But i grinded Egusi
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Sixix: 5:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
kolidave: This? at this present age and century? When I have my electric grinder and manual grinder there. Even sef I could take it to the local pepper grinder beside my house to grind for nuffin less than 50bucks. Na hin I go con sidown like old woman with this tin dey grind pepper,lailai not me. The world is changing and moving,'out wiv the old in with the new'.... and oh! That tin no dey add ani special taste to the soup abi Maggi dey inside d stone wey I no know about?

#It does, event though we had a blender and generator, sometimes the whole family opted for this. I have used the three and I can confidently say that the taste differs.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Godmystrength: 5:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
Ormorlehwah: I mean moi moi, it cant be more dan 3cups and i wil grind it smoothly the way I want.
A whole 3cups? whao!!!! i can't do that anymore o cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by portable86(f): 5:40pm On Sep 26, 2014
South westerners use it still,they claim it gives a special flavour to their cooking.for me, i just see it as punishment
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 26, 2014
destante: shocked you diss Yoruba people? waawu angry
sweet heart kiss
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by directonpc(m): 5:41pm On Sep 26, 2014
timsbee: We av one in our compound at d backyard wher all d women of d fifteen face me i jail u rooms, always use to do quick grinding.

If dat one surface spoil, anoda woman go bring her own comout....

Oh sweet memories, gone are those days....
so what days are u in now miss? from face me i jail you to A mansion abi (praise be to God)
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Phoenixfrank(m): 5:42pm On Sep 26, 2014
This is just one of the many ways to grind ur pepper, and one of the most primitive way as u said. I don't think anybody that has another way of grinding will ever engage in such a method because nigga this is 21st century this is not laziness but hard labour.
Anyways, its not proven that grinding of a stone gives ur stew better flavour. I even see more disadvantages to that nigga u are more likely to get dirt and sand in ur stew. Don't post shit and attack modernization. life is actually easier with it, embrace it. Its just like running several miles to deliver a msg when u can just make a phone call.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Ormorlehwah(f): 5:43pm On Sep 26, 2014
GowonAbacha:
Then you can as well say welcome to stooling. You go shît so tey u go tire... Comm'on how do you expect the beans to be smooth enough for moi moi ?
Stooling? Forget it, all I need is to rinse the beans with hot water before grinding..... Smooth? I cnt grind a congo of beans oooo bt I can grind the one I can eat smoothly.
Perhaps, I am from Ijebu.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by enm(m): 5:46pm On Sep 26, 2014
Donfamous: One of the oldest wasys of grinding pepper,
Its so cool and adds some flavour to ur stew, but it seems people are lazy to try this step now, and most of our new generation wife don't even know anything about this, or consider it rather stressful, and primitive.
So have u ever tried it, and when last was it?

times without number right from the age of 8 or 9 when i went to stay with granny. Nna mehn the taste of the soup eh na all time killer.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by niggereyez(f): 5:46pm On Sep 26, 2014
timsbee: We av one in our compound at d backyard wher all d women of d fifteen face me i jail u rooms, always use to do quick grinding.

If dat one surface spoil, anoda woman go bring her own comout....

Oh sweet memories, gone are those days....

lol @ 'face me I jail you'.... I've also heard it as 'face me I slap you'.... really what is it with these houses ...
Anyways... I haven't seen that grinding stone before

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Ormorlehwah(f): 5:48pm On Sep 26, 2014
Phoenixfrank: This is just one of the many ways to grind ur pepper, and one of the most primitive way as u said. I don't think anybody that has another way of grinding will ever engage in such a method because nigga this is 21st century this is not laziness but hard labour.
Hmmmmmm...... Another way? I reserve my comment. But do U knw it is a means of exercise?
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by destante(f): 5:48pm On Sep 26, 2014
Buoyantic: sweet heart kiss
jes go on with it undecided

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by kenex4ever(m): 5:48pm On Sep 26, 2014
Ormorlehwah: I mean moi moi, it cant be more dan 3cups and i wil grind it smoothly the way I want.
Me too, I can grind anything on it, its been very long I used it but am a pro in using it.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by arsetalks(m): 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
I did this for many years. The pain you go through after grinding pepper this way can be unbearable but THANK GOD FOR GOD.

Memories.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by tnktosin(m): 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
I grew up with this grinding stone. I recall when I was still very young, i played with this and got pepper into my pants, mehn dat day wasn't funny. My mum still makes fun of me.
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by GowonAbacha: 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
Ormorlehwah: Stooling? Forget it, all I need is to rinse the beans with hot water before grinding..... Smooth? I cnt grind a congo of beans oooo bt I can grind the one I can eat smoothly.
Perhaps, I am from Ijebu.
So ur from ijebu ? wink
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by IYANGBALI: 5:51pm On Sep 26, 2014
Donfamous: bros u Sabi ekuru sha? Are u from ekiti?
U know those kind stew rich with iru
kai you be real agbe from oko

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2014
destante: jes go on with it undecided
Go on with what
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by Pataki: 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2014
Oh yes I did!

Good old days, grinding pepper in that style. smiley
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by 14teenK: 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2014
Chai....e be lik mama put Pepper expecially all diz yourba stew.......anyway i neva grind pepper 4 my life
Re: Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) by kreamidiva(f): 5:53pm On Sep 26, 2014
I have never seen this in my entire life. I use the mortar and pestle anyways when there's no electricity for grinder.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bride-to-be Bachelorette Party Cake Causes Stir Online / Checkout This 40ft Trailer Load Of Cow Meat At An Event Recently (pics/video) / Lady Shows The Food Items She Bought With N1,500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.