Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make (24442 Views)

Hysterical Rant Between Nigerian Logo Designers / Nairaland Portfolio For Logo Designers / Tips For Professional Logo Design, A Must Read For All Logo Designers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 25, 2014
gift01: What do you think of Nairaland design? Me think is an insult to the over a million users

I depends on what u think is priority, the design or the usability?
For me NL Is easy to use ,everyone can sign up, signin ,make a comment , and if its made to look awesome It might consume a lot more data to open on our phones.....that's what I think

2 Likes

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by felzylix(m): 8:36am On Sep 25, 2014
xoxogirl:

This early morning? undecided grin
If u b police 4 NL shaybi u go wait make office resume b4 u start work
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:40am On Sep 25, 2014
All the OP's point are vital.
Last Bullet
To add to his no 1 point, I also advise logo designers to go for simplicity.
BBC, GTBank, MTN, UBA etc all used simple acronyms of letters to create their logos. Its not compulsory one use pics. Letters alone can do better.
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Exponental(m): 8:44am On Sep 25, 2014
no mistake. one man's food is another man's poison.
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Faun(m): 8:45am On Sep 25, 2014
That Anambra State logo is guilty of all the crimes listed here, man.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1526412_anam_logo_jpeg6fb12232d60eb9514d0c10aa4849f843
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Uchwilliam(m): 8:50am On Sep 25, 2014
dkronicle: Brazzers Logo
Lol porrn guy
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Afam4eva(m): 9:08am On Sep 25, 2014
If there's onne thing i've noticed about the logos of big corporation, it's the fact that it's unique more than anything. They may not have the most beautiful logos but their logos always stand out. Thery have the kind of logos that you see and say "This logo is easy to design". It only seems that way because someone else came up with the idea. It's always about the idea. Take a look at the BBC website for example, it seems very simple but very distinguishable from every other logo out there.
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Wealthyegg(f): 9:21am On Sep 25, 2014
Faun: That Anambra State logo is guilty of all the crimes listed here, man.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1526412_anam_logo_jpeg6fb12232d60eb9514d0c10aa4849f843
Bros u bad no be small... una dey fight bfor grin grin grin
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by merits(m): 10:15am On Sep 25, 2014
see my owm logo,what can you say about?

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by drizzytee: 10:43am On Sep 25, 2014
all those are by the way, if you have a reputation even your most awkward logo design will make a hit.
check out the airtel logo for example...it so Ordinary and portrays NOTHING. Its abstract yes i knw, but its still rubbish even in 3D

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by jennylove7575(f): 10:45am On Sep 25, 2014
Interesting.... Ehen! *face palm*
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Iyajison: 12:05pm On Sep 25, 2014
nice job..........................jxt making arngment 2 design ma club logo..................no guided......
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by PHfinest(m): 12:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
drizzytee: all those are by the way, if you have a reputation even your most awkward logo design will make a hit.
check out the airtel logo for example...it so Ordinary and portrays NOTHING. Its abstract yes i knw, but its still rubbish even in 3D

Looks like an EAR to me. A sign of clear audible signal.

jokesarepart
No wonder my Benin friends dey call am Eartell

1 Like

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Disclaimer: 12:36pm On Sep 25, 2014
In the world of designers, another word for mistake is CREATIVITY. cheesy
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Levelzguy(m): 12:57pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hehehe IndecentStar!!we don see u
dkronicle: Brazzers Logo
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by popoolagroup(m): 1:14pm On Sep 25, 2014
@erad drop your contact we got something to do.
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Revolva(m): 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
Bangbros logo dogfart logo are still d best
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by slickyb(f): 1:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
gift01: What do you think of Nairaland design? Me think is an insult to the over a million users
lol
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 25, 2014
sup wit mine....does it fall in d criteria of a good logo design? Judge

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by feldido(m): 1:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
Op Plz help me rate dis my design, if possible criticise it.

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by tomiobj(m): 3:50pm On Sep 25, 2014
erad: The art of logo design is littered with pitfalls. We reveal the biggest mistakes to avoid, in order to guide your design to logo glory.

Whether you’re a logo design novice with just a handful of clients or a creative director, there are certain pitfalls every designer should avoid when creating logos. And with so many now socially sharing and scrutinising your work, designers must be extra vigilant to avoid falling into these traps. Here we've provided a run-down of the most common 10 to avoid...

[size=14pt]01. Slavishly following trends[/size]

This VH1 logo was bang on trend when it launched 10 years ago, but looked very dated by the time it was replaced in January this year

Choosing to design your logo based on current trends is likely to leave your logo looking dated and out-of-touch as soon as the trend dies out, not to mention making you look slightly amateur.

Rather than choose the popular flavour of the month, think about what's more likely to have longevity for your brand. For example, the current logo of the BBC (shown below) has been around since 1997, yet still has not become dated.

The current BBC logo is now 16 years old and still looks fresh

[size=14pt]02. Overdoing colour[/size]

The logo for the Polish Presidency has been criticised for using too many colours

Overdoing colours will not only make your design busy and confusing but also make it difficult to translate into monotone, which you’re likely to need at some point. Try to keep colours under a maximum of four and if your client requests lots of colours, try to use logical combinations and remember colour psychology.

[size=14pt]03. Failing to make the logo transferable[/size]

This logo for Brooklyn Public Library was replaced earlier this year - partly because it didn't reduce down well on mobile devices

Keep in mind that your logo will need to be transferrable across a range of different mediums. Make sure that the colours, size and overall design will work on printed materials such as signs and T-shirts, as well as across various technology touchpoints such as websites and mobile sites.

[size=14pt]04. Poor font choice[/size]

Deciding which font to use is hugely important and a significant factor in shaping your brand identity. If designing your own font proves to be too tasking, ensure that the off-the shelf version is first of all appropriate for logo use and secondly, appropriate for your brand. Remember, fonts are also subjective to trends so try and avoid the logo font-of-the-moment, which is likely to leave your logo looking tired in a matter of a few years. Also try to avoid choosing logos that look similar to Microsoft Word Art.

[size=14pt]05. Copying other logos[/size]

Chinese car company BYD's logo looks a little familiar...

During the early stages of creating your logo, be very careful of copying, either deliberately or subconsciously, other brands. Having a logo too similar to someone else, especially a competitor, will both devalue your design and make you forgettable to your audience. The purpose of a logo is to make your brand stand out in the crowd, so differentiate yourself from the rest.

[size=14pt]06. Using stock art[/size]

If you're thinking about turning to a stock image site to form the backbone of your logo, don't! The purpose is to create a logo that’s unique to a brand, which you’re unlikely to do if you’re using an image that’s done the rounds. Also, using stock images is more than likely to leave you looking cheap.

[size=14pt]07. Too many fonts[/size]

Two examples of logos that use too many typefaces

A major, and surprisingly common, mistake is using too many fonts and font styles. Along with making the design look overly busy, the use of multiple fonts can also distort your brand identity and make it difficult for the audience to understand the message you’re trying to convey.

[size=14pt]08. Overdoing special effects[/size]

Mobile phone company 3's logo is beautiful - but consider how easy it is to transfer such a logo to different media, sizes, etc

Similarly to overdoing colour or excessive numbers of fonts, using special effects is also likely to confuse your design. Additionally, consider again how your logo translates to greyscale and other mediums. It’s unlikely that using these techniques will leave your logo standing out from the crowd.

[size=14pt]09. Being too abstract[/size]

This redesign of the University of California's logo was withdrawn after mass protests

Whilst you don’t want your logo to be so bland and ordinary that it’s easily forgettable, you also don’t want to be so left-field that it both confuses your audience and misrepresents your organisation. Aim to strike a personal balance that will grab attention for all the right reasons.

[size=14pt]10. Using pixelated images[/size]

Using pixelated images is likely to lead to headaches. Design software that use raster images won’t allow you to enlarge your image without it becoming pixelated, nor will you be able to post it on a web background colour without first changing it to a .PNG file. Instead opt for vector graphics that maintain consistency across varying mediums.

Source: http://www.creativebloq.com/logo-design/mistakes-2131959
so. The nairaland logo
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by zigger(m): 3:53pm On Sep 25, 2014
Will the logo cause the companys bankruptcy. Let them do it as they wish
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by CSNg: 4:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
This here is what is called a simple and well defined logo

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by MoriYanu(m): 4:48pm On Sep 25, 2014
As a student of industrial design, this is what I surely know, every mistake is a design.
Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by MoriYanu(m): 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2014
feldido: Op Plz help me rate dis my design, if possible criticise it.
It should be a photoshop design, but most people don't know that corel works is better for some designs, good one tho, work on your background ..

1 Like

Re: The Biggest Mistakes Logo Designers Make by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
bokunrawo: Apple sef na mistake dey Just use am lyk dat
lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Adobe Photoshop Or Corel Photo Paint, Which One Is Better? / Etuk Unyime Draws Udom Emmanuel With Made In Akwa Ibom Pencil / Please Rate My Recent Business Card Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.