Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,367 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do (6593 Views)

Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO / Overheating – All You Need To Know / Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by automedics: 1:40pm On Sep 25, 2014
www.automedicsafrica.com

In the previous article, I discussed how low coolant level can lead to overheating. In this article, I’m going to be discussing overheating only while the air conditioner is on. This is one of the many overheating issues that motorists face nowadays. You would usually hear something like, ”whenever I put on my air conditioner, the temperature gauge starts rising to the red zone. ”Or “my car overheats any time I put my AC on.” When diagnosing a case of overheating like this, it is necessary to take into consideration the fact that there are two systems involved and both systems should be thoroughly examined.
We already know what overheating is and we also know that it’s a symptom of a faulty cooling system, so what we should be doing right now is looking at how the air conditioner can affect the cooling system. I won’t really go in to details about how the air conditioning system works but then what we need to know is that anytime the AC goes on an additional load is added to the engine.
There are 3 vital components that one should be looking at when it comes to an issue like this-AC condenser, AC fan, Radiator.
• AC CONDENSER- The condenser is a radiator-like object usually in the front of the radiator. Its job is to turn the high pressure, high temperature vapor (refrigerant) into a high pressure liquid by the removal of heat to the surrounding. If the surface of the condenser is clogged then you will have a case of excess heat buildup which will eventually transfer to the radiator and you can already guess the end result. An easy solution to this will be to have your condenser surface flushed or cleaned to remove any dirt on it and this should be done at regular intervals(especially during the rainy season).
• AC FAN- the AC fan, also called the condenser fan, is the one saddled with the job of blowing the heat away from the condenser. If the fan is not blowing at the right speed or not working at all, you will have a case of not enough air to blow the heat from the condenser. If the fan has been fixed in the wrong direction you will end up having a case of the fan blowing air away from the condenser instead of blowing air towards it and this will lead to overheating only when the AC is on.
• RADIATOR- the radiator is part of the cooling system and sometimes you could have internal rust buildup which will in turn reduce the water holding capacity of the radiator and this will lead to overheating when the AC is on. The reason for this is simple- whenever the AC is put on, the load on the engine increases which will also increase the rate at which heat is generated in the engine. A leaky radiator will become more prominent when the AC is put on and this will also lead to overheating.
Now that you know what could be the cause of your vehicle overheating whenever the AC is put on, you will be able to troubleshoot or advise your mechanic when next that needle starts going to the red zone.

www.automedicsafrica.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by defhenry(m): 5:43pm On Sep 25, 2014
bless u
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by lonelydora: 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2014
Thanks, more grease to your elbow
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 11:27pm On May 16, 2017
Dear Automedic,

I use a Mazda MPV 05 model.
On a given start you could hear the fan rotation loudly when the car is idle. (Two fans in normal positioning behind the main radiator)
But if I put on my AC... The temp will step up say after 30 mins and when I turn off ac/ no matter how high, the temperature will come down
Questions: do I need to have a additional fan for the condenser alone?
2: could my gasket be burnt and need change. ( I have had overheating issueing a couple of times due to wrong wiring of fan.

automedics:
www.automedicsafrica.com

In the previous article, I discussed how low coolant level can lead to overheating. In this article, I’m going to be discussing overheating only while the air conditioner is on. This is one of the many overheating issues that motorists face nowadays. You would usually hear something like, ”whenever I put on my air conditioner, the temperature gauge starts rising to the red zone. ”Or “my car overheats any time I put my AC on.” When diagnosing a case of overheating like this, it is necessary to take into consideration the fact that there are two systems involved and both systems should be thoroughly examined.
We already know what overheating is and we also know that it’s a symptom of a faulty cooling system, so what we should be doing right now is looking at how the air conditioner can affect the cooling system. I won’t really go in to details about how the air conditioning system works but then what we need to know is that anytime the AC goes on an additional load is added to the engine.
There are 3 vital components that one should be looking at when it comes to an issue like this-AC condenser, AC fan, Radiator.
• AC CONDENSER- The condenser is a radiator-like object usually in the front of the radiator. Its job is to turn the high pressure, high temperature vapor (refrigerant) into a high pressure liquid by the removal of heat to the surrounding. If the surface of the condenser is clogged then you will have a case of excess heat buildup which will eventually transfer to the radiator and you can already guess the end result. An easy solution to this will be to have your condenser surface flushed or cleaned to remove any dirt on it and this should be done at regular intervals(especially during the rainy season).
• AC FAN- the AC fan, also called the condenser fan, is the one saddled with the job of blowing the heat away from the condenser. If the fan is not blowing at the right speed or not working at all, you will have a case of not enough air to blow the heat from the condenser. If the fan has been fixed in the wrong direction you will end up having a case of the fan blowing air away from the condenser instead of blowing air towards it and this will lead to overheating only when the AC is on.
• RADIATOR- the radiator is part of the cooling system and sometimes you could have internal rust buildup which will in turn reduce the water holding capacity of the radiator and this will lead to overheating when the AC is on. The reason for this is simple- whenever the AC is put on, the load on the engine increases which will also increase the rate at which heat is generated in the engine. A leaky radiator will become more prominent when the AC is put on and this will also lead to overheating.
Now that you know what could be the cause of your vehicle overheating whenever the AC is put on, you will be able to troubleshoot or advise your mechanic when next that needle starts going to the red zone.

www.automedicsafrica.com
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 8:14pm On May 17, 2017
And just today,
It overheated in a standby traffic but once I move the temperature reverts

1 Like

Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by TRYGO(m): 11:55pm On May 17, 2017
@erex. Can you pls a little bit make me understand what you're saying. I can't decipher what you've asked "automedics"? Maybe I could be help to you.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by timifakay(m): 7:36am On May 18, 2017
eRex:
Dear Automedic,

I use a Mazda MPV 05 model.
On a given start you could hear the fan rotation loudly when the car is idle. (Two fans in normal positioning behind the main radiator)
But if I put on my AC... The temp will step up say after 30 mins and when I turn off ac/ no matter how high, the temperature will come down
Questions: do I need to have a additional fan for the condenser alone?
2: could my gasket be burnt and need change. ( I have had overheating issueing a couple of times due to wrong wiring of fan.

1. No, one fan is for radiator and the other one is for condenser. They have been connected to run directly at start up if the AC is not left on and car starts while its still on.
2. The usual indicators of burnt gasket doesn't include the above operation conditions.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by snipesdam(m): 4:20pm On May 18, 2017
eRex:
And just today,
It overheated in a standby traffic but once I move the temperature reverts

Go and wash your condenser... I had same issue until i went to cash my engine and the guy washed the condenser too. Always watch out for debris clogging the condenser.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 8:17pm On May 18, 2017
timifakay:

1. No, one fan is for radiator and the other one is for condenser. They have been connected to run directly at start up if the AC is not left on and car starts while its still on.
2. The usual indicators of burnt gasket doesn't include the above operation conditions.

Thank you for your response.

But I realized that the condenser is in front of the radiator.. And the 2 fans are just behind. Would the be any provision where any of the fan would blow the condenser in front... I realized my in-law put a little fan in front of his condenser.. Although he uses and xterra and it has just one big fan for radiator.

Besides I don't use the AC when I realised it was overheating
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 8:21pm On May 18, 2017
snipesdam:

Go and wash your condenser... I had same issue until i went to cash my engine and the guy washed the condenser too. Always watch out for debris clogging the condenser.

Honestly I have never washed the engine...
But I have washed the radiator.. Not the condenser thought.. I though that for AC?
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by timifakay(m): 10:33pm On May 18, 2017
eRex:

Thank you for your response.

But I realized that the condenser is in front of the radiator.. And the 2 fans are just behind. Would the be any provision where any of the fan would blow the condenser in front... I realized my in-law put a little fan in front of his condenser.. Although he uses and xterra and it has just one big fan for radiator.

Besides I don't use the AC when I realised it was overheating
Some cars are designed to have both fans side by side (between radiator and engine) while some have one on each side (in front of and behind condenser and radiator).
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by snipesdam(m): 8:25am On May 19, 2017
eRex:

Honestly I have never washed the engine...
But I have washed the radiator.. Not the condenser thought.. I though that for AC?

If your scare to was engine just wash condenser its not to be removed oh! They should just flush it there and make sure it clean enough.

2 Likes

Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 12:57pm On May 19, 2017
snipesdam:

If your scare to was engine just wash condenser its not to be removed oh! They should just flush it there and make sure it clean enough.

Great one.. I shall do as advised
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 11:05pm On May 19, 2017
TRYGO:
@erex. Can you pls a little bit make me understand what you're saying. I can't decipher what you've asked "automedics"? Maybe I could be help to you.
The temperature gauge rise above half marker once I am in traffic and not moving (no AC)
Once I start moving it gradually descends to the half marker.

We I got home, I turn on the ac for a while and waited. The temperature gauge did not rise.

Before now, On a good day, if I use ac after a while like 30mins to one hour, the temperature will rise. Weda in traffic or moving freely.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 4:03pm On May 21, 2017
snipesdam:

So I'm washing the condenser at the moment and wen I loosed up the front grill, OMG... Clogs of dirts..... I believe these dirts does not allow flow of air into the radiator...
And I got another shocker... That car has no thermostat in it. (But my tempt gauge always stay on the half marker.
Well that's another day thing.
Monday morning traffic will deliver verdict on my dear NL trouble shooters... I kinda believe you guys sha.

3 Likes

Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by snipesdam(m): 4:22pm On May 21, 2017
eRex:

So I'm washing the condenser at the moment and wen I loosed up the front grill, OMG... Clogs of dirts..... I believe these dirts does not allow flow of air into the radiator...
And I got another shocker... That car has no thermostat in it. (But my tempt gauge always stay on the half marker.
Well that's another day thing.
Monday morning traffic will deliver verdict on my dear NL trouble shooters... I kinda believe you guys sha.

Good to know. We expect to hear good results when next you drive in traffic. About the thermostat you need a mechanic to confirm its status. GAZZUZZ can hook you up depending on your location.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 8:43pm On May 22, 2017
snipesdam:

Good to know. We expect to hear good results when next you drive in traffic. About the thermostat you need a mechanic to confirm its status. GAZZUZZ can hook you up depending on your location.

Testimonial:

It worked.

3 Likes

Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by snipesdam(m): 8:58pm On May 22, 2017
eRex:

Testimonial:

It worked.

Congrats.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by diportivo: 12:57pm On May 23, 2017
go and find thermostat

and have ur fan reverted to factory spec
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by larry2chat(f): 12:23pm On May 30, 2017
eRex:

The temperature gauge rise above half marker once I am in traffic and not moving (no AC)
Once I start moving it gradually descends to the half marker.

We I got home, I turn on the ac for a while and waited. The temperature gauge did not rise.

Before now, On a good day, if I use ac after a while like 30mins to one hour, the temperature will rise. Weda in traffic or moving freely.

try to check for water leakage form all the hose that supplies water to the engine, one might be leaking slowly but not too much to cause instant temperature rise. You know when the car moves air blows to the engine so it will cool it down back. JUST CHECK FOR WATER LEAKAGE AND THAT SHOULD SOLVE IT.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by eRex(m): 12:32pm On May 30, 2017
larry2chat:

try to check for water leakage form all the hose that supplies water to the engine, one might be leaking slowly but not too much to cause instant temperature rise. You know when the car moves air blows to the engine so it will cool it down back. JUST CHECK FOR WATER LEAKAGE AND THAT SHOULD SOLVE IT.

Thanks.. i have done dats a couple of weeks... realised i had a burst water pump... (too much revving)... this one has been okay since i flushed the condenser..

Thanks for the assisitance
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by larry2chat(f): 1:13pm On May 30, 2017
eRex:

Thanks.. i have done dats a couple of weeks... realised i had a burst water pump... (too much revving)... this one has been okay since i flushed the condenser..

Thanks for the assisitance

I'm happy for you, something like that had happened to me before, I was driving from Akure to Lagos and started noticing the abnormality in the temperature at Ore. however I drove it like that since I have confirmed that whenever I'm moving the temperature will not rise, but when there is traffic it rises. eventually it was discovered that it was just a hose that was leaking slowly.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by mosbus: 1:57pm On May 30, 2017
Makes a lot of sense, and very educating.

2 Likes

Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by TRAY2(m): 6:12pm On May 30, 2017
Nice one and thanks guys..I also experience increase in temperature guage while on traffic with Ac on, but when I move and turn off the Ac it goes down, I usually top up my coolant every week, definitely there is a leakage somewhere, will take it to be checked and the condenser flushed, was scared when they said my engine was getting weak, or I should change my radiator.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by aikerism(m): 9:02am On Dec 25, 2021
Good morning Guys...
I started experiencing a spike in my Peugeot 307SW temperature immediately I turn on the AC...
I did so much to solve the problem. From changing the top gasket, to removing, opening and washing my Radiator, I changed the radiator bottle and got a new cover, made sure my Fan was working well etc...
Still no Joy...
After reading this thread yesterday... I went to a nearby Car wash and they pointed their hoses towards to vent in the bumper...
Mehnnnn so much dirt had accumulated there o... As a matter of fact the condenser was looking like it was now a filter for the radiator. It was clogged and very dirty. After the flush and wash my cooling system obviously breathes well now... No more overheating with or without the AC.
I paid N300 to have my condenser flushed...
Now I have peace of mind.
Thank you all.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by kingreign(m): 2:19pm On Dec 25, 2021
aikerism:
Good morning Guys...
I started experiencing a spike in my Peugeot 307SW temperature immediately I turn on the AC...
I did so much to solve the problem. From changing the top gasket, to removing, opening and washing my Radiator, I changed the radiator bottle and got a new cover, made sure my Fan was working well etc...
Still no Joy...
After reading this thread yesterday... I went to a nearby Car wash and they pointed their hoses towards to vent in the bumper...
Mehnnnn so much dirt had accumulated there o... As a matter of fact the condenser was looking like it was now a filter for the radiator. It was clogged and very dirty. After the flush and wash my cooling system obviously breathes well now... No more overheating with or without the AC.
Thank you all.

Architect, Daalu o.
Re: Overheating While Ac Is On – What To Do by chuxmgc: 9:38am On Dec 27, 2021
aikerism:
Good morning Guys...
Still no Joy...
Thank you all.

Please I am getting this same Peugeot 307sw next week, what are the things to look out for?
What are the challenges with the car?
How can you rate the car please
Your honest reviews will go a long way.
I don't know if I can have your digit please

(1) (Reply)

Why Is This Oil Labelled Full Synthetic. / Nissan Primera P11-144 CVT Not Selecting Properly Codes P0325 and P1777 / Error Code: P0741 (corolla '07)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.