Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Can Prayer Alone help Naija - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Prayer Alone help Naija (1577 Views)

Can Prayer Kill Every Goliath In Every Person Life? / Can Prayer Help Me Succeed? / Can Prayer Change Destiny? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Prayer Alone help Naija by adconline(m): 1:24pm On Jul 29, 2006
I saw this sticker today " Pray for Nigeria, A country of great future" and remembered this prayer  " prayer for Nigeria in distress’’ People prayed for bribery and corruption and yet stuck to their guns of accepting or giving bribes to get their ways through. People said these prayers and did not do anything to change the situation.

My question is can prayers really save us without good work? Remember to work is to pray. Faith without good work is in vain. Let us not be hearers of the word, but doers.

Most developed countries don’t pray so much the way we do, but are better off. We pray so much and do so little

Analytical reasoning please.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by iice(f): 1:25pm On Jul 29, 2006
Probably 4got that Heaven helps those who help themselves tongue
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by m4malik(m): 2:54pm On Jul 29, 2006
Perhaps you need to modify the title of the thread (did you mean: Can Prayer Alone Help Naija?)

Pray, watch, take action, persevere - I think that's what we need, and doing just one without the others will not help much.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by jagunlabi(m): 3:54pm On Jul 29, 2006
Only lazy,ignorant loosers will say "yes" to this question. cool
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by edygirl(f): 6:59pm On Jul 29, 2006
My dear developed countries steal more than we do it's just that they legalize it. They use people more than you can think.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Badman888(m): 9:29pm On Jul 29, 2006
Prayers wont help without making efforts, you cant pass an exam by just praying everybody have to come together am make something happens. Prayer helps us make the rite decesion.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Drusilla(f): 9:46pm On Jul 29, 2006
acdonline,

Don't forget what the bible says: The wicked also prosper in this world. (psalm 73) We do not want to make the same mistake that Job's friends did, when they said that his doing bad was a sign of his sinfulness. God corrected them by saying: You have not said what is right about Me. I find that too many Christians associate 'material things' with the 'blessings of God'.

And the answer to your question is: YES ABSOLUTELY.

If you obey God when He gives you the answer in prayer.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by adconline(m): 9:00am On Jul 30, 2006
I think that prayers alone cannot help us.  In biblical times, God used his men and women to redeem their societies. God used Moses and Joshua, God used Noah, and God used Abraham. God sent his only begotten son, Jesus Christ, to redeem mankind. If God had not wanted in those circumstances, He could have saved his people through prayers, but instead, allowed His begotten son to die for our salvation.
Think of the inventions and undertakings of human nature, if we had solely relied on prayers, this world would have sunk.
If Christopher Columbus had relied on prayers and that the world was flat, America would not have been discovered. If Mahatma Gandhi had relied solely on prayers, India would be a British colony. If Martin Luther King, a preacher, had solely relied on prayers, black people would still be regarded as second-class citizens. If Nelson Mandela had hoped solely on prayers, South Africa would still be in Apartheid.
Truth of the matter, if God had willed us to be so much prayerful without commensurate efforts; He would not have given us the brains to think, hands to work, eyes to see, ears to hear. Remember he created us to take dominion over his creatures. And you must work the way of your salvation.
God bless you all
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Drusilla(f): 9:30am On Jul 30, 2006
adconline,

Here is my definition of prayer:

Communicating with God and God telling you what actions to take.

This is why I say prayer alone will help.

Prayer is listening to God about what actions to take.

Obedience (actions) is then following what you heard in prayer.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Drusilla(f): 9:32am On Jul 30, 2006
What would be the use in praying if you are not going to listen to what God says?

Of course you then take those actions that God tells you to take in prayer.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by adconline(m): 10:07am On Jul 30, 2006
voice of people is the voice of God. How do we really decipher what God wants? We have to follow working ethics/rules set by men.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Drusilla(f): 10:33am On Jul 30, 2006
Adconline,

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by this: "voice of people is the voice of God"?

We use the bible to decipher what we have heard.

Most of the Ethics and Rules in this world tend to come from the bible, because of course the whiteman with the bible has dominated the world and went to every nook and cranny, leaving the bible.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by GL(f): 3:42am On Aug 18, 2006
d bible doesn't support the notion that the voice of the people is the voice of God.

Anyone who prays to God for help must be ready to receive instructions from Him. When Nigerians are ready to obey God's instructions prayer alone would heal this country.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Nobody: 4:12am On Aug 18, 2006
Depends on those who are saying the prayer:

When Yakubu Gowon tells Nigerians to "pray" you begin to wonder what the man who dragged us through three grueling yrs of a civil war, sold Bakassi to Cameroun, clung to power for 9yrs until he was toppled and destroyed our federal system of govt for this leprous unitary arrangement wants us to pray about.
When President Abachanjo removes his cap at the National chapel to pray, you wonder how a corrupt individual who was willing to subvert the constitution and thwart the will of the people to entrnch himself as life president is talkiing to God about.
When senators and honorable members of assembly tell us to pray, you are left wondering if they mean you should pray that some kobo is left in the national treasury after their rapacious looting spree.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by otokx(m): 9:04am On Aug 27, 2006
@davidylan

welldone, prayer alone will not help any man who continues in iniquity
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Remmzy(m): 2:58am On Aug 28, 2006
prayer plus positive actions are the keys to a better naija cool
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 11, 2008
depends on ur opinion of what a positive action is.no action is entirely psitive in naija.God save n cooligeria
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Kobojunkie: 1:30am On Jan 12, 2008
Nigeria's situation don pass ordinary prayer. We are more a nation of spineless individuals who would rather pray that God do this and that for us instead of stepping out to use what God has given us to accomplish much for the nation. Even the thieves come out in public to say they speak to God too. All the prayer in the world can not save us if we are not willing to get up and do things right. It all starts with one person doing things right and before you know it, everyone else is doing it. But no, we would rather pay a little bribe to get what we want, instead of standing firm and reporting these people to the right authorities and at least going home knowing we did our best; we would rather close our doors and windows when we see criminals commiting crime, instead of stepping out there to fight them but we somehow expect God himself to come down and fight our battles for us.

My Prayer is that God allow those who wish to continue sitting on their butts doing nothing but praying to experience more hell from those they are afraid of confronting and they have no peace until they get up and do what they know is right to do.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by Nobody: 1:49am On Jan 12, 2008
Probably 4got that Heaven helps those who help themselves

Did you know that this is biblically not true? You wont find it anywhere in the bible, rather heaven is more interested in helping the helpless.
Re: Can Prayer Alone help Naija by toshmann(m): 3:57am On Jan 12, 2008
correct david. some bible scholars had scavenged the bible in search of that phrase to no avail. anyway, i guess naija will need a little bit of fasting on top of the prayers to reach anywhere. cool

but we must act. faith without works is dead

(1) (Reply)

Catholic Church Suggests One World Bank/one World Government/one Currency / Why Do People, Even Christians, Always Attribute Evil/pain/loss To God? / Third Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.