Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition (1272 Views)

Foreign Aid (pros And Cons) Problems & Solutions "Help" / Pros And Cons Of A Divided Nigeria: / The Pros And Cons Of Government Monetization Programme In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by freeafrica365: 3:24pm On Sep 25, 2014
I debate this theory that we could be one powerful Africa all the time. However, I think it will take at a minimum 50 years to see this day.

Others in my circle say that I am foolish.

What do you think? And could you explain?
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by agitator: 3:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
You don't even have one nigeria in real terms, just a geographical expression. ECOWAS is even a mirage not to mention One Africa. angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by freeafrica365: 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
agitator: You don't even have one nigeria in real terms, just a geographical expression. ECOWAS is even a mirage not to mention One Africa. angry angry angry

I think you are right! I just read something...saying similar! Such a shame.
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 25, 2014
No. At least not for a LOOOONG while. In the past, assimilation of differing groups into one mono-ethnicity would have taken brute force and warlike empire building enabled by primitive feudal, monarchical or dictatorial government systems.

Today, there is too much political correctness and respect for autonomy (at least officially) for that to happen. Plus, African countries and even ethnicities are too competitive and adversorial to come to an understanding.

Maybe it will happen...but it will take us collectively shedding any national and ethnic allegiance. Being more enlightened, and unshackling ourselves from poverty to prevent any misgivings, are other conditions.

Also, we would have to shed religion completely.

I'm looking at another 500 years, if at all.

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by agitator: 5:10pm On Sep 25, 2014
chulla12: No. At least not for a LOOOONG while. In the past, assimilation of differing groups into one mono-ethnicity would have taken brute force and warlike empire building enabled by primitive feudal, monarchical or dictatorial government systems.

Today, there is too much political correctness and respect for autonomy (at least officially) for that to happen. Plus, African countries and even ethnicities are too competitive and adversorial to come to an understanding.

Maybe it will happen...but it will take us collectively shedding any national and ethnic allegiance. Being more enlightened, and unshackling ourselves from poverty to prevent any misgivings, are other conditions.

Lol, this analysis hmmmmmmmmmmmm. wink wink wink
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by freeafrica365: 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
chulla12: No. At least not for a LOOOONG while. In the past, assimilation of differing groups into one mono-ethnicity would have taken brute force and warlike empire building enabled by primitive feudal, monarchical or dictatorial government systems.

I am reading this below! And you are spot on. Am I disappointed? Yes!! But you two are right I believe. Just thinking about all our strife across the border.

Here is a snippet:

In 1966 Julius Kambarage Nyerere was President of the Republic of Tanzania. When President Kenneth Kaunda of neighboring Zambia became the first Chancellor of the University of Zambia when it was inaugurated on July 13, 1966 he invited Nyerere, also the Chancellor of the University of East Africa, to attend the ceremony and give an address to the assembled audience. President Nyerere used the occasion to describe the possible conflict between African nationalisms and Pan-Africanism.

…Your Excellencies, we have achieved many things in Africa in recent years, and can look back with some pride at the distance we have travelled. But we are a long way from achieving the thing we originally set out to achieve, and I believe there is a danger that we might now voluntarily surrender our greatest dream of all.

For it was as Africans that we dreamed of freedom; and we thought of it for Africa. Our real ambition was African freedom and African government. The fact that we fought area by area was merely a tactical necessity. We organized ourselves into the Convention People’s Party, the Tanganyika African National Union, the United National Independence Party, and so on, simply because each local colonial government had to be dealt with separately.

2. At one point Baba says that we NEED to be pan african, but the only way would be able to fix our local areas. BUT, he says - by doing that...we might build up rivalries among one another..that impedes this dream forever:

Can the vision of Pan-Africanism survive these realities?

I do not believe the answer is easy. Indeed I believe that a real dilemma faces the Pan-Africanist. On the one hand is the fact that Pan-Africanism demands an African consciousness and an African loyalty; on the other hand is the fact that each PanAfriCani5t must also concern himself with the freedom and development of one of the nations of Africa. These things can conflict. Let us be honest and admit that they have already conflicted.

In one sense, of course, the development of part of Africa can only help Africa as a whole. The establishment of a University College in Dar es Salaam, and of a University in Lusaka, means that Africa has two extra centres of higher education for its 250 million people. Every extra hospital means more health facilities for Africa; every extra road, railway or telephone line means that Africa is pulled closer together. And who can doubt but that the railway from Zambia to Tanzania, which we are determined to build, will serve African unity, as well as being to the direct interest of our two countries?

Unfortunately, however, that is not the whole story. Schools and universities are part of an educational system—a national educational system. They promote, and they must promote, a national outlook among the students. Lessons are given on the Government, the geography, and the history, of Tanzania, or of Zambia. Loyalty to the national constitution, to the elected leaders, to the symbols of nationhood—all these things are encouraged by every device.

This is not only inevitable; it is also right. None of the nation states of Africa are ‘natural’ units. Our present boundaries are—as has been said many times—the result of European decisions at the time of the Scramble for Africa. They are senseless; they cut across ethnic groups, often disregard natural physical divisions, and result in many different language groups being encompassed within a state. If the present states are not to disintegrate it is essential that deliberate steps be taken to foster a feeling of nationhood. Otherwise our present multitude of small countries—almost all of us too small to sustain a self- sufficient modern economy—could break up into even smaller units—perhaps based on tribalism. Then a further period of foreign domination would be inevitable. Our recent struggles would be wasted.

Let me repeat; in order to avoid internal conflict and further disunity each nation state is forced to promote its own nationhood. This does not only involve teaching a loyalty to a particular unit, and a particular flag, although that’ is serious enough. It also involves deliberately organizing one part of Africa economically, socially, and constitutionally, to serve the overall interests of the people of that part of Africa, and (in case of conflict) not the interests either of another part, or of Africa as a whole.

Thus, each state of Africa devises for itself a constitution and a political structure which is most appropriate to its own history and its own problems. In Tanzania for example, the overwhelming support for our nationalist movement, and the complete absence of a rival to it, meant that from the beginning of independence we had in effect a one-party state. But the continued existence of a political structure which assumed a two-party state meant that we were unable to harness the Party organization, and the enthusiasm of our people, for the new tasks of fighting poverty. There was also some danger that the Party leaders might get out of touch with the people they led because they were able to shelter their own personal shortcomings under the umbrella of the Party. So we worked out a new constitution which acknowledged the sole existence of one Party, and within that framework ensured the people’s democratic control of their Government. It is a new arrangement and so far it seems to be working well. But—and this is my point—it has marked a further differentiation between the political organization of Tanzania and that of other parts of Africa, including that of our neighbours. And the more the people of the United Republic become involved in this system, and the more the peoples of other African nations become involved in the systems they work out for themselves, the greater becomes the division among us.
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by freeafrica365: 5:47pm On Sep 25, 2014

How do you propose we do this? I suggest conferences, but I think we are conferenced out. Do you think if our schools were one africa...then we could perhaps change our method of interacting via curriculums? Like the schools went to a federated pool ...and each nation gets a percentage.

I will continue researching and update this, thank you both
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 25, 2014
freeafrica365: I debate this theory that we could be one powerful Africa all the time. However, I think it will take at a minimum 50 years to see this day.

Others in my circle say that I am foolish.

What do you think? And could you explain?
I think One Africa is a dream that may never come to pass unless the new world arrangement got changed ..... The lands of Africa has been shared by colonial masters and now, we are Operating under neo-colonialism !!

Imagine, Nigeria wants to procure arms from sister African-Country ZA as emergency as the situation requires abi which of African Nation wouldn't know about Bokoharam !

Africa has been balkanised by the western powers and I think they want it to remain like this till the forseable future !

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by freeafrica365: 9:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
donroxy: I think One Africa is a dream that may never come to pass unless the new world arrangement got changed ..... The lands of Africa has been shared by colonial masters and now, we are Operating under neo-colonialism !!

Imagine, Nigeria wants to procure arms from sister African-Country ZA as emergency as the situation requires abi which of African Nation wouldn't know about Bokoharam !

Africa has been balkanised by the western powers and I think they want it to remain like this till the forseable future !

SO TRUE! Neo colonialisms seems to be something we need to conquer first! I like your usage of the word: balkanized! This has sort of dampened my spirit about one Africa! I notice on here and in my talks we are so divided. We are divided globally too, well there is much work for each generation!

If you have any suggestions on what we can do, please place it here!

I have suggested a federated education system ...but Im going to read more and discuss.

THANK YOU for coming to this thread!!
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by pazienza(m): 9:34pm On Sep 25, 2014
Africa can only be one,after we must have divided. To come together, we must first move apart. The current colonial entities and abominations/ anomalies posing as nations must first undergo a fission reaction, to give rise to real stable and natural nations. Once this happen, the fusion reaction would take place naturally.

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by freeafrica365: 10:17pm On Sep 25, 2014
pazienza: Africa can only be one,after we must have divided. To come together, we must first move apart. The current colonial entities and abominations/ anomalies posing as nations must first undergo a fission reaction, to give rise to real stable and natural nations. Once this happen, the fussion reaction would take place naturally.

This seems like itd be more organic than planned, a movement that one day takes place!! I hope so!! And although this may be slightly uncomfortable, I think it might just be the only way.

Well said!

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 26, 2014
freeafrica365:
African sayings goes thus ''If the wall cracked not, the lizard won't hath a chance to penetrate'' !!

I think the problem started right from the precolonial era where African native Kings maltreat their subjects and also the king is always above the law e.g ''King precides over all'' where citizens are nothing but mere subjects ......

The kings themselves where not adequately exposed to other nations around them as most nations were engulfed in intra-tribal wars against Inter-tribal wars !!

Lately, in History, InterTribal wars began and this would have culminated in the unification of Africa where a superior Nation woulda encapsulate a weaker one
and from their unification of culture and assimilation would have ensued but The EUROPEAN EMERGED !!

The european emerged with superior power and method which was displayed in their ships that sailed through the African Dreaded Atlantic Ocean and color of their skin causes dismay,curiousity and outright acceptability among many West Africa Kings and natives !!

Balkanisation began since the white need slaves to work on their plantations , Africans have strength than the indies(who dies easily from hard labour) and due to the whites acceptability among African emperors , it was easy to connive with the kings in selling the strongest man in our clan out in slavery or whomsoever found to violate the king would be sold to slavery .... Slave trade also marked the beginning of outright shipment of our raw resources to the west and till now !!

we have to know the kings aint forced by whites to sell their subjects , it was trade by barter .... GunPowder,Gun for fullfledged African MAN grin ! and coup would be sponsored against any king who did contrary to the white's wishes in deposing such king !!

And It goes on and on till slavery was abolished , later in future independent was granted yet, the hands of european were all over Africa even when a nAfrican sneezes, an european is aware

Later, we have brain drain , the white will just scuried off whomsoever that will salvage African unity and if you reject their offer, you die or nobody will pay attention to your brain

The Present African Government do not remunerate hardwork nor want any development for mother Africa !!

Instead of Joining hands together , the present crop of politicians and government officials have also found strength in pitching Africans against Africans for Political gain, political strength and to remain untouchable !!

Conclusively, the problem right from time is simply lack of exposure, civility,Orientation,Nationhood and stark uneducation !!

And The way forward is simply National Re-Orientation , Education and people's oriented Governance whomsoever that will achieve this should be ready for war both internally and internationally !!!

Personally, I don't see any change between pre-colonial leaders, post colonial leaders and the present crop of African leaders ....... they are all slaves, unreasonable and ill-educated except for some weaker few !!

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by freeafrica365: 4:59pm On Sep 26, 2014
donroxy: African sayings goes thus ''If the wall cracked not, the lizard won't hath a chance to penetrate'' !!

I think the problem started right from the precolonial era where African native Kings maltreat their subjects and also the king is always above the law e.g ''King precides over all'' where citizens are nothing but mere subjects ......

The kings themselves where not adequately exposed to other nations around them as most nations were engulfed in intra-tribal wars against Inter-tribal wars !!

Lately, in History, InterTribal wars began and this would have culminated in the unification of Africa where a superior Nation woulda encapsulate a weaker one
and from their unification of culture and assimilation would have ensued but The EUROPEAN EMERGED !!

The european emerged with superior power and method which is displayed in their ships that sailed through the African Dreaded Atlantic Ocean and color of their skin causes dismay,curiousity and outright acceptability among many West Africa Kings and natives !!

Balkanisation begins since the white need slaves to work on their plantations , Africans have strength than the indies(who dies easily from hard labour) and due to the whites acceptability among African emperors , it is easy to connive with the kings in selling the strongest man in our clan out in slavery or whomsoever found to violate the king would be sold to slavery

we have to know the kings aint forced by whites to sell their subjects , it was trade by barter .... GunPowder,Gun for fullfledged African MAN grin ! and coup would be sponsored against any king who did contrary to the white's wishes in deposing such king !!

And It goes on and on till slavery was abolished , later in future independent was granted yet, the hands of european were all over Africa even when a nAfrican sneezes, an european is aware

Later, we have brain drain , the white will just scuried off whomsoever that will salvage African unity and if you reject their offer, you die or nobody will pay attention to your brain

The Present African Government do not remunerate hardwork nor want any development for mother Africa !!

Instead of Joining hands together , the present crop of politicians and government officials have also found strength in pitching Africans against Africans for Political gain, political strength and to remain untouchable !!

Conclusively, the problem right from time is simply lack of exposure, civility,Orientation,Nationhood and stark uneducation !!

And The way forward is simply National Re-Orientation , Education and people's oriented Governance whomsoever that will achieve this should be ready for war both internally and internationally !!!

This is absolutely brilliant! Historical perspective is needed to properly get it!!! BRILLIANT

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by freeafrica365: 3:22am On Sep 27, 2014
Ok African family: @agitator @chulka12 @donroxy @pazienza @dkronickle @omarbah @missberrypop5

This African has given a great response on what we should do @camnewton4pres says:

Interesting , so what's the way to go? I believe we should start by banning the broadcast of any foreign channel in our countries by foreign I mean western and eastern

I have never seen a Cameroonian local channel being broadcasted in francE or in the USA, so why should we continue to allow the brains of our youths to b brainwashed, they are programmed to like what's is oversea and hate what they see around them, in fact in my country I'm pretty sure that less than 20% watch local channels .

Secondly whenever we go or find ourselves in great numbers, money should channeled to build African schools, the Arabs and indians do so it is very important for our children abroad to know their history and story, their culture etc, the white supremacist schools will never give a chapter on Igbo ,Yoruba etc even if the 90% of the students are from Nigeria

Thirdly we should stop bashing our leaders or disrespecting them, I have always found funny, the way westerners come to our countries, and only interview poor or low life individuals with tricky questions , if indeed their goals were to know anything about the economy or politic of any African country, why not contact an African expert from that country? They are also obsessed with our leaders to the point that they have made us lazy, you see they will tell you how your leaders are bad can't manage us ,how we are poor because of our leaders blah blah, but they won't tell us whenever we have a good leader they stage a coup to replace him, they assassinate him , they go to war with the country etc, the so called bad leaders are most of the time maintained by them and the good receive sanctions to present them as bad a very tricky plot hence u see African protesting in foreign embassies ,begging westerners to come and remove their presidents, tufiakwa ,if you don't respect your house who will

Fourthly ,we need to learn real patriotism and nationalism, not the kind of patriotism when the super eagles won a game the kind of patriotism which will make us hack industrial companies in the west to steal technology and knowledge in x or y field, the kind of patriotism which will make us settle for a lower salary instead of going abroad to work and help some more the white supremacist agenda and pay taxes them , etc

It is also very important for us to become independent for thenthings we need the most , how many anti retroviral companies exist in Africa yet we are the continent with the most infected people, how many condoms companies ? How many African countries manufacture their own vaccines even average poliovirus vaccine has to b shipped from the west and other Asian countries,why put our lfe in the hand of our enemies ?

Weapons, we should stop being passive and peaceful and adopt aggressive policies, I read about Nigeria being refused weapons deal, and really saddens me that there is basically no African country which can help, therefore is it not time for us to build our own hardware ? I'm not talking about bulletproofs vests and ammunitions , I'm talking about missiles , jets, shields, submarines etc ,we are tube richest continent on earth why should we put the defense of our riches and wealth in the hands of our enemies ?

We must adopt local language as our national language enough with alien languages ,in fact my dream is to have us speak the same language at least for what they call subsaharan Africa .swahili

Helping and loving each other , it really baffled me when Nigeria and other west af countries were the ones pushing the most for the removal of gbagbo and ghadaffi with Nigeria even offering weapons against the former , na wa oo how can we move forward when we don't have the same agenda ? We should plan or put in place a 15 years agenda which should revolved around removing any western influence in any African country , even if that means others African countries teaming up to fight the imperialist, if cameroon is attacked by France , African fighters should come from all over the continent and the world to defend Cameroon and kick the imperialist

All African countries must be linked with roads, railways and airports,and ferries its inadmissible that we know more about the west than the countries surrounding us , it's beyond silly that traveling from Cameroon to ivory coast costs more than Cameroon to France .what is this ?

Little African countries should merge into bigger ones, this limit the influence the imperialists can have , imagine Benin Togo,Gabon,Gambia being bribed to vote against African project ? There are too many unnecessary voices in Africa

Put a ban on weaves ,wigs , and bleach

3 Likes

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Nobody: 5:01am On Sep 27, 2014
freeafrica365: Ok African family: @agitator @chulka12 @donroxy @pazienza @dkronickle @omarbah @missberrypop5

This African has given a great response on what we should do @camnewton4pres says:

Interesting , so what's the way to go? I believe we should start by banning the broadcast of any foreign channel in our countries by foreign I mean western and eastern

I have never seen a Cameroonian local channel being broadcasted in francE or in the USA, so why should we continue to allow the brains of our youths to b brainwashed, they are programmed to like what's is oversea and hate what they see around them, in fact in my country I'm pretty sure that less than 20% watch local channels .

Secondly whenever we go or find ourselves in great numbers, money should channeled to build African schools, the Arabs and indians do so it is very important for our children abroad to know their history and story, their culture etc, the white supremacist schools will never give a chapter on Igbo ,Yoruba etc even if the 90% of the students are from Nigeria

Thirdly we should stop bashing our leaders or disrespecting them, I have always found funny, the way westerners come to our countries, and only interview poor or low life individuals with tricky questions , if indeed their goals were to know anything about the economy or politic of any African country, why not contact an African expert from that country? They are also obsessed with our leaders to the point that they have made us lazy, you see they will tell you how your leaders are bad can't manage us ,how we are poor because of our leaders blah blah, but they won't tell us whenever we have a good leader they stage a coup to replace him, they assassinate him , they go to war with the country etc, the so called bad leaders are most of the time maintained by them and the good receive sanctions to present them as bad a very tricky plot hence u see African protesting in foreign embassies ,begging westerners to come and remove their presidents, tufiakwa ,if you don't respect your house who will

Fourthly ,we need to learn real patriotism and nationalism, not the kind of patriotism when the super eagles won a game the kind of patriotism which will make us hack industrial companies in the west to steal technology and knowledge in x or y field, the kind of patriotism which will make us settle for a lower salary instead of going abroad to work and help some more the white supremacist agenda and pay taxes them , etc

It is also very important for us to become independent for thenthings we need the most , how many anti retroviral companies exist in Africa yet we are the continent with the most infected people, how many condoms companies ? How many African countries manufacture their own vaccines even average poliovirus vaccine has to b shipped from the west and other Asian countries,why put our lfe in the hand of our enemies ?

Weapons, we should stop being passive and peaceful and adopt aggressive policies, I read about Nigeria being refused weapons deal, and really saddens me that there is basically no African country which can help, therefore is it not time for us to build our own hardware ? I'm not talking about bulletproofs vests and ammunitions , I'm talking about missiles , jets, shields, submarines etc ,we are tube richest continent on earth why should we put the defense of our riches and wealth in the hands of our enemies ?

We must adopt local language as our national language enough with alien languages ,in fact my dream is to have us speak the same language at least for what they call subsaharan Africa .swahili

Helping and loving each other , it really baffled me when Nigeria and other west af countries were the ones pushing the most for the removal of gbagbo and ghadaffi with Nigeria even offering weapons against the former , na wa oo how can we move forward when we don't have the same agenda ? We should plan or put in place a 15 years agenda which should revolved around removing any western influence in any African country , even if that means others African countries teaming up to fight the imperialist, if cameroon is attacked by France , African fighters should come from all over the continent and the world to defend Cameroon and kick the imperialist

All African countries must be linked with roads, railways and airports,and ferries its inadmissible that we know more about the west than the countries surrounding us , it's beyond silly that traveling from Cameroon to ivory coast costs more than Cameroon to France .what is this ?

Little African countries should merge into bigger ones, this limit the influence the imperialists can have , imagine Benin Togo,Gabon,Gambia being bribed to vote against African project ? There are too many unnecessary voices in Africa

well said brother.

2 Likes

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Omarbah: 3:32pm On Sep 27, 2014
freeafrica365: Ok African family: @agitator @chulka12 @donroxy @pazienza @dkronickle @omarbah @missberrypop5

Beautiful, you've touched all the weak spots. As far as the foreign channels, I am a big fan of sponsoring local channels that will help greatly in preserving our culture and languages. As these local channels offer better programs to the populace, they will gradually let go of the foreign ones. Look at the success of Nollywood for example, African women prefer it to other movies.

In order to have one political agenda, we need to have pan Africanist parties. To get independence from France, Africans created the Rassemblement Democratique Africain which had branches in almost all of the colonies. They used the movement/party to educate the populace, have a voice in French assembly and eventually they controlled the local administrations. We need to do something similar. If we are to be united, we need to act if we are one already. PanAfricanism has not produce the intended consequences because there is no grassroots movement behind it, the populace either do not know about it or they do not see benefits in following it.

I am Guinean, but I do believe that Guinea, Mali, Senegal, Guinea Bissau and Gambia should be one country. So I do think the small countries need to band together, create a bigger tax base, a stronger currency that will be used to finance infrastructure and help businesses grow.

2 Likes

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 27, 2014
Omarbah:
Beautiful, you've touched all the weak spots. As far as the foreign channels, I am a big fan of sponsoring local channels that will help greatly in preserving our culture and languages. As these local channels offer better programs to the populace, they will gradually let go of the foreign ones. Look at the success of Nollywood for example, African women prefer it to other movies.

In order to have one political agenda, we need to have pan Africanist parties. To get independence from France, Africans created the Rassemblement Democratique Africain which had branches in almost all of the colonies. They used the movement/party to educate the populace, have a voice in French assembly and eventually they controlled the local administrations. We need to do something similar. If we are to be united, we need to act if we are one already. PanAfricanism has not produce the intended consequences because there is no grassroots movement behind it, the populace either do not know about it or they do not see benefits in following it.

I am Guinean, but I do believe that Guinea, Mali, Senegal, Guinea Bissau and Gambia should be one country. So I do think the small countries need to band together, create a bigger tax base, a stronger currency that will be used to finance infrastructure and help businesses grow.
The problem is some powerful African leaders covertly take instructions from some supremacists than their very own people !!

Merging smaller African countries together will no doubt has multiplie beneficial effect on the whole of Africans but don't forget, it is would be like you are merging France and UK together and both countries won't allow that (never) ....

The question is who will bell these cats ?
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by reedonne: 7:40pm On Sep 27, 2014
donroxy: The problem is some powerful African leaders covertly take instructions from some supremacists than their very own people !!

Merging smaller African countries together will no doubt has multiplie beneficial effect on the whole of Africans but don't forget, it is would be like you are merging France and UK together and both countries won't allow that (never) ....

Each country will still maintain some degree of autonomy.
Their leaders can be call into a convention where they will negotiate the amount of power going to the union goverment.
This might also give some of them a chance to divide.

1 Like

Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Omarbah: 10:06pm On Sep 27, 2014
donroxy: The problem is some powerful African leaders covertly take instructions from some supremacists than their very own people !!

not really, Guinea, Senegal and Mali in particular have almost the same ethnic groups mainly Mande, Wolof and Fulanis, same thing for South of Mauritania. It's true the politicians will attempt to stop it for their own benefit though. Francophone west Africa was supposed to be one country but each group of politicians prefer to be "first in Benin Republic than 6th in Dakar" meaning they wanted to retain a high position. The only way to end this is for a pan African movement to take control of the national assemblies and gradually unite the countries.
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by reedonne: 3:11pm On Sep 28, 2014
If africa is to be united, the AU needs to be financially independent, corruption-free and more powerful.
1) The AU should create an organization which will be responsible for the review of the system of goverment in african countries, crisis and truce management, minority protection,merging of states,self determination etc. This organization should also have the mandate to accept complain of merginalization from any africa tribal group.
2)An african security organization consisting of 2 members from each region.
3)AU should also create 4 small standby regional joint intervention force equiped with state of the art weapon
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 28, 2014

I respect your analysis. But the 500 year projection is too pessimistic in my view. I'd say 50 to 80 years max. Don't forget that the AU charter actually states that the ultimate goal is continental political unification, and all members are signed up to it 'in principle'. The situation is that the big nations like Nigeria, SA, Egypt etc want the unification to occur much farther in the future than the smaller nations, ostensibly to 'protect their interests'. The reasons they usually state are that individual nations need to first reach a certain level of efficiency and performance before ultimate unification can make sense.
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by reedonne: 2:36pm On Sep 29, 2014
CC: IAMORD
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by iamord(m): 6:16pm On Sep 30, 2014
[quote author=reedonne]CC: IAMORD

Thanks for the tag bro! An informative thread we got here.. I will make my contribution when I am more settled
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Omarbah: 7:16pm On Oct 01, 2014
If we have the right leadership yes, I do believe it is possible, not necessarily on the continental scale but at least on the
regional one like ECOWAS or East African Community with Swahili as their common language.
I've been trying to convince some nairalanders the past few days that this is the best course for Africans but it seems like many here are reticent. If there is ever a unification project, I will remember that Nigeria is where forces ought to be concentrated. wink
Re: Will There Ever Be ONE AFRICA? Pros And Cons - 2014 Edition by Omarbah: 7:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
Guinea, Senegal, Gambia could easily become one country, you can add Mali and Cote d'Ivoire to it too. But then again
the Southerners in Cote d'Ivoire would probably be opposed to it.

(1) (Reply)

. / Synagogue Building Collapse: T.B Joshua Pay Victims’ Families N750,000 Each / It Seems APC Has Completely Silenced Other Parties In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.