Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,965 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:30 AM

Just Wedded...a Play - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Just Wedded...a Play (4277 Views)

ANOTHER WEDDING.......A Play (sequel To Just Wedded) / Taking Over(a Play) / Stage Performance Of The Woman Of Calabar, A Play By Elechi Amadi. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
CHARACTERS

Charles: The newly wedded Husband
Doris: The newly wedded Wife
Mr. : Ayo: Charles’s Boss at the Office
Clara: Charles’s Colleague
Patrick: Charles’s Colleague
Yusuf: Charles Colleague
Uncle: Charles’s Uncle
Uncle’s Wife
Daddy: Clara’s Father
Mummy: Clara’s Mother
Emmanuel: Clara’s younger Brother
Kasali: Gate man, Clara’s family house.
Doctor
Nurse 1
Nurse 2
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:55pm On Sep 25, 2014
ACT 1:SCENE 1

Starts with a typical wedding setting, the Priest, Bride, best man and Bridesmaids and few family members. It’s a moderate wedding setting. The vow is exchanged.

Priest: Do you Charles Ojo; take Doris Bamidele as your lawful wedded wife? To have and to cherish, to love and to hold, in sickness and in health, for riches and for poorer till death do you part?
Charles: I do

Priest: Do you Doris Bamidele; take Charles Ojo as your lawful wedded husband? To have and to cherish, to love and to hold, in sickness and in health, for riches and for poorer till death do you part?
Doris: I do

Priest: I hereby pronounce you Husband and Wife, you may kiss the Bride.
(New Couple exchange kisses)

Priest: (Announces) I present to you, the latest Couple in town! Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ojo!!
(Applause and Cat cries from the congregation)

SCENE 2

(Reception Arena. Party scene, dancing, drinking and merriment, couple dancing to music and people spraying money on them. Gifts items are being handed to the best man and bride’s maid. Merriment continues till fade.)

SCENE 3

(Night. The couple is sleeping. Husband sleeps with mouth wide open snoring aloud. Wife keeps mumbling incoherently. Husband turns back and forth, wakes and sits up; he wipes his mouth with the back of his palm, stares at the wife with surprise. Taps her awake gently.
Charles: Sweet heart, please wake up (she mutters more incoherent words. He is baffled. He taps her harder) sweet heart wake up!

(Doris wakes abruptly and scared, she grabs her husband for protection)

Doris: Thief! Thief!! Where are they?? (Visibly terrified)

Charles: Honey, take it easy, there is no cause for alarm please, there is no thief anywhere.

Doris: No thieves? Then why did you blow me like that? (Rubbing her side)

Charles: I did not blow you sweet heart; I merely tapped you to wake up because you were talking in your dreams.

Doris: ooh is that why you woke me? That is how I sleep o!

Charles: (Shocked) you mean you normally talk in your sleep? Then how am I supposed to sleep with you talking into my head?

Doris: You are talking, what about you that snore like a Hippo?

Charles: Who snores?

Doris: You of course! Oh! Don’t you know you snore? (Hisses) Your noise shake the whole building like there is going to be an earth quake!

Charles: (Laughing) common get out, it’s a lie, and how can my snore shake the building? Am I King Kong?

Doris: Before nko? (Laughing too)

Charles: It’s alright I agree I snore sometimes but to snore is better than you chanting incantations

Doris: Who de chant incantation? Me? You are not serious o! Please lets go back to sleep joor! I am tired.

(Couple cuddles each other, pulls the duvet over as light fades off)

ACT 2 SCENE 1

Doris dressed in night gown, goes to and fro the kitchen and dining table setting breakfast. Husband appears, wearing Office clothes and carrying suitcase.

Charles: Honey how are you?

Doris: (Approaches for a hug and kiss) Fine sweetheart, hope you slept well?

Charles: I tried to

Doris: What do you mean you tried to?
Charles: You know nah (Begins to mumble words with eyes closed as if asleep)

Doris: Oh that? Well I couldn’t sleep at all because the building was vibrating from its foundation. (Begins to mimic snoring husband)

Charles: Shut up joor! Please give me my food lest I am late for work.

Doris: In a jiffy! (Dashes off and returns with the meal in a tray. Tea and Bread. Places tray on the dining table while Charles sits to eat)

Charles: Thanks sweet heart. (Says a quick prayer and begins to gnaw at the Bread while Doris sits by to watch. Charles takes a piece of bread and dips into the steaming hot cup of tea)

Doris: My Gawd! Charles! What are you doing?

Charles: (startled) what? What is it?

Doris: How could you be dipping bread into your cup of tea? You should know it is not proper.

Charles: (Relaxed now, he heaves a sigh of relief) oh that? You scared me you know. Ehen? Am I not inside my house? I can eat any how I like here!

Doris: No Sir! Its bad table manners, you could forgetfully do same in public someday. What happens to “Charity begins at home”?

Charles: how can I….? (Stands up from the meal, goes for his briefcase) oh well, I am sorry it won’t happen again.

Doris: (surprised, stands up) honey! You are not eating again? Is it because of what I said?

Charles: I think I have lost my appetite! I am okay!

Doris: Hold on Honey! Please hold on!!

(Charles pauses)

Doris: Honey please I am sorry; I never meant to upset you. Please come and eat your food please. (She holds his free hand and pulls him back to the dining table; he obliges reluctantly, sits and begins to pick at his food…….till fade)

ACT 3 SCENE 1

Office setting: an open office containing six desks. Activity is going, computer key boards clicking, movements and discussion among colleagues etc. Charles peeps through the slightly open door; some one notices him and shouts “Here comes the groom”! Charles hurriedly closes the door and backs off. Colleagues chase after him and pull him back into the office amidst laughter and compliments.

Charles: Thank you, thanks to you Guys! Thank you for all your support (Approaches each of them with a bear hug, reaches Clara, pauses, pulls her closer and gives her a bear hug too. Someone clears his throat)

Charles; Na you sabi o! Yusuf, Can’t a brother hug a Sister again?

Yusuf: You can of course! But not so close because anything can happen.

Clara: Yusuf na you sabi o! Nothing dey happen I beg.

(They all scamper to their seats as their boss Mr.Ayo walks in)

Mr.Ayo: (looking tough as usual) what’s this pandemonium all about? (Sees Charles) oh! I see! Oko iyawo is back.

Charles: (stands up abruptly) yes sir! Good morning sir and I thank you for your entire support sir. I really appreciate sir!

Mr. Ayo: Tah! (waves it aside) and how was your honey moon? Hope you don score goal o?

(General laughter in the office)

Charles: Oga I don’t know o! But time shall tell

Mr.Ayo: Well we shall soon know, abi no be so?

(All Chorus, Na sooooo! as Mr. Ayo exits the Office)

Yusuf: So, old Boy, how is married life so far?

Clara: Can’t you see how fat his cheeks are? Just two weeks into marriage o! Even his tummy is bulging already.

Charles: Na lie I beg! Which tummy dey bulge?

Yusuf: Its true o! You don de comot belle o! (Exclaims)

Charles: (Addressing another Colleague) Patrick na true? I don de comot belle?

Patrick: Don’t mind them jare, you are okay, you are just refreshed that’s all (phone rings) whose phone is ringing?

Charles: oh its mine! (Picks up his phone, stares at the screen and smiles)

Patrick: (Clears his throat) Na wa o! Love wantintin! I go vex go marry o!

Charles: (Motioning colleagues to be quiet) hello sweetheart? (General laughter in the office, some cover their mouths to suppress laughter. The door opens; they all look towards the door as Mr. Ayo reappears. They all feign seriousness as the day’s job begins)
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
ACT 4 SCENE 1

Charles home, wife is watching the television, switching stations. Doorbell rings. She jumps up and rushes to the door, husband is at the door
Charles: (evidently fatigued) Hi!

Doris: (Hugs husband) sweet heart welcome! You look so tired.

(He pulls off his suit while she helps him UnCloth. He sits down and unlaces his shoes. She collects the Shoes, lifts up the suitcase and takes to the bedroom. Charles stretches on the couch yawning. She comes out and begins to set the table for food)
Doris: Honey I prepared your favourite dish, hope you will enjoy it?

Charles: And what could that be?

Doris: Guess!

Charles: But I have no favourite meal, any good meal is okay by me.

Doris: it’s a lie, remember you told me your favourite meal is Garri, salt and palm kernel combo! (Laughing)

Charles: Joins the laughter as he joins Doris at the dining table) No no! That was in the Boarding House those days! Then one could give an eye for a Cup of Garri. (Sits down, opens the plate and smiled at the meal) Wao! Yum yum yum! Smells so good!

Doris: yes Darling, specially prepared for you with the best Kobnomi (Love portion) in town
Charles: Kobno what?

Doris: Kobnomi! A love portion specially imported from Uyo!

Charles: No wahala, as long as it is a love portion please make it a point of duty to always put it in my meals. (They begin to eat together till fade)

SCENE 2

Husband and Wife in the sitting room watching TV. Doris’s head is on Charles’s thigh as she lay on the Couch. Phone rings, Doris jumps up and rushes to pick her phone

Doris: It’s my Mum! (She exclaimed) Hello Mummy, Mummy it’s not fair o! You just abandoned me all these days, no calls, text messages, not even a flash! Haba mummy! Is this how it is supposed to be? You just sold your Daughter and abandoned her... (Nods) Ehen? Sure? Hmmm mummy, okay I forgive you. How is daddy, Emmanuel and Jane? Jane has gone back to School? Okay ma, yes ma! He’s here; do you want to speak with him? (Gives phone to Charles) mummy!

Charles: (Collects phone) Mummy good day ma! Fine ma, yes ma, mummy this one that you remembered us today, (Laughs) okay ma, no wahala ma, all is well. My People are fine; they call from time to time. (Doris is restless as she beckons at Charles to give her the Phone) thank you ma. Please hold on for Doris (Hands Phone to Doris)

Doris: Mummy I am missing you Guys so much, will you be home tomorrow? Okay we shall come and visit you tomorrow around 2 PM. Yes ma after Church service. Okay ma! Please prepare for us o! And prepare my favourite Dish o! Alright ma! See you tomorrow. Love you too mum. (She prances about in excitement while Charles stares at her in bewilderment)

Doris: Oh Honey! I can’t wait to see my Folks tomorrow! Oh I can’t wait, I can’t wait (Excitement) Honey you are not saying anything, are you okay? (Beaming with smiles as she embraces her husband)

Charles; Doris did you forget or are you simply pretending? (Pushes off her hands and stands up)

Doris; Honey what is it I forgot? And why would I be pretending? And stop staring at me in this hostile manner! What’s up?

Charles: Tomorrow after church service my Uncle and his Wife are visiting! How could you forget that? We have been discussing this since last week! Why did I give you money to go shopping yesterday? Was it not in anticipation of their visit?

Doris: (She puts her hands on her head and exclaims) oh my God I forgot! How could I? Honey I am so sorry, please I forgot. Can you call them to reschedule for next week please?

Charles: No way! They wanted to visit last Sunday, we postponed it to tomorrow and you want me to call them now and tell them to postpone it again? How convenient it is for you to say that! How do you want them to feel? This is my uncle we are talking about, since my Father’s death; he’s being like a father to me. Do you want him to feel I am avoiding him? No way ma! We would rather call your mum and postpone our visit!

Doris: So your uncle is more important than my parent? Is that so Charles? (Very angry)

Charles; (Opens his mouth agape) what did you just say?

Doris: Yes of course! Your uncle’s visit is priority over our visiting my parent!

Charles: How on earth could you think like that? You just concluded on your own, without even consulting me, to visit your Mum tomorrow. You did not even seek my opinion to know what my program is like. Meanwhile we have been discussing my Uncles visit for a whole week and you dare say I value my Uncles visit more? Who is being biased here? You or me?

Doris: (Sobbing) All I know is that I am missing my Family I want to go home. I want to go home and we must go together tomorrow!

Charles: Sorry ma! You will not have your way on this one and please stop being unreasonable, call your Mum and reschedule for next week end.

Doris; Over my dead body! (Stubbornly) I would rather die than not to see my parent tomorrow with or without you!

Charles: And who will attend to my Folks when they arrive?

Doris: I don’t know! (Walks angrily out of the room)

Charles: I am talking to you Doris! Come back here! (Stands akimbo, totally surprised and humiliated) What is this? Is this Doris or someone else in her body? Ha! I don’t understand o! (Walks angrily after her)

FADE

ACT 5 SCENE 1

EXTERIOR: Couple drives into their compound from church; they alight from the car and enter the house. Charles slumps into the couch, drops his Bible on the center table. Doris goes straight into the bedroom and comes out her hand bag prepared to go out

Doris: Honey I am ready to go if you are not (Agitated)

Charles: Ready for what? Are you going somewhere or something?

Doris: Please cut it out! (She snaps) Don’t tell me you have forgotten that we have to go and see my parent!!

Charles: (Visibly angry) Now listen Woman! I never ever imagined you could be this obstinate! I thought we had settled this (Doris interrupts)

Doris: Settled what! (Yells) that you want to imprison me in the name of marriage? That I can’t go and see my Parent because I married you? What’s all this nonsense anyway? Please if you will excuse me (Walks out of the house) I will take a public transport and find my way. I am off!

Charles: Woman! If you walk out of that door! (Doris interrupts)

Doris: I am off already Mr. Landlord! (Bangs the door after her)

Charles: Doris! Doris! Doris! Come back here! (Opens the door and follows her)
Charles returns into the Sitting room, furious and agitated, he paces to and fro, sits down, gets up totally confused and disenchanted……Fades to re enter.)

SCENE 2

Sitting room: Charles is setting the dining table, obviously expecting visitors. The doorbell rings, he goes to open the door. His uncle and the wife enter.

Charles: (Prostrating) Uncle you are welcome sir, mummy welcome ma, we have been expecting you all day.

Uncle: (Opens arms for embrace, patting Charles on the back) Charley boy! How are you? Congratulations once again, may God bless your marriage, may you not struggle to feed your family (Prayer continues as Charles answers amen intermittently) where is Doris my wife? Isn’t she at home?

Wife: Ehn! Iyawo wa nko? (Where is our Bride?)

Charles: (Motioning to the table) Please come to the dining, so the food doesn’t get cold, we have been expecting you since after service.
(They all move and sat around the dining table)

Uncle: Charles where is my Wife or did she not hear our voice?

Wife: maybe she is dressing up abi? Please call her to come and dish the food here o! I am famished. I have been fasting all day because I planned to break the fast here.

Charles: (stuttering) Ehm, ehm, Uncle em you know, you see when we came back from church, Doris prepared all these (Gesturing at the table) in anticipation of your visit, but about forty minutes ago , her father called and told her that her mother is seriously ill and has been rushed to the hospital. In fact (Interruption)

Wife: (Panicky) What? Hospital? Kilode? Kilonsele? This is serious o! Come on what are you still doing here? Which hospital? Daddy oya! Oya! Let us go there immediately!

Uncle: (Unusual calmness) Boy! What could be wrong with your mother in-law? (Staring deep into Charles’s eyes)

Charles: (More confused) No no! Uncle, em mummy please be calm, sit down please, everything is under control. In fact Doris has called to say all is well that I should not bother coming, she is with her mum already, she said her mum is reacting to something she ate or so, but all is well. Please relax, please. (All sits)

Uncle: But why did you not go with your Wife in the first place? She doesn’t own a car, so you could have driven her there. With such news given to her, it is totally wrong of you to have let her leave the house alone!

Wife: yes my dear, next time please don’t leave her alone in such situation. I guess you did not follow because you were expecting us abi?

Charles: yes ma! Yes uncle! You know, I was actually confused but all is well now. Your food please! Later we can talk, there is a lot of ground to cover, and Mummy how are my Cousins? Lolu and Ibidun. (Charles begins to dish the food as chatting continues)

FADE
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
ACT 6 SCENE 1

(Doris family House, she bangs at the gate as kasali goes to open the gate)

Kasali: I de come o! Who be that! (He shouts as he rushes to the gate)

Doris: Baba k, how are you? Long time!

Kasali: Ha madam! Welcome o iyawo tuntun (new Bride) welcome ma! How Oga nah?

Doris: Oga de o! How your family nah?

Kasali: We thank God o! Kai! Aunty marriage good o! Just one month see as you don fresh finish, you be like Tomato from Jos! Chai Oga Charley na correct man o! See as he don polish you so tay you de shine like,like, em, em (Interruption)

Doris: Baba k so you mean say I no de shine before I go husband house? (Laughing)

Kasali: Haba Madam but you know say shine pass shine nah! This one wey I dey see for your body so na original Kiwi Shine! No be any how polishing at all, this na Kiwi!

Doris: (Burst out laughing as she runs towards the House) Ha Baba k! You will not kill me O! Jeez! This is why I love home, hmmm home sweet home!

Kasali: (Shouts after her) we don de wait for you since morning! In fact big madam don prepare special Chop de wait una. Na me go buy the things them from market…... (Continues till fade)

ACT 7 SCENES 1

(Charles Home: They leave the dining table and proceeds to the sitting room amidst discussion)

Uncle: Yeah charley, that was a very nice meal, please express my gratitude to Doris when she comes back.

Wife: I wish she was here so I can thank her personally. If she continues to prepare such sumptuous meal for you, you would explode in weeks.

Charles: Thanks a lot for your time, I really appreciate. And thank God you enjoyed your meal.
(They settle down on their seats)

Uncle: Now Charles! Listen to me. I am a father to you, not just an uncle! Your late father was my younger brother. I trained your father in School, he lived me for several years before and after I got married and I know him like the palm of my hand. You! Charles, are a real replica of your father and that means I can read you too like I could read Borode your father (Charles pays astute attention, nodding his head uneasily) something is wrong Son! (Charles tries to speak but is cut short by uncle) Don’t say anything Boy! I like your courage and the defense you put up for your Wife. It is good; in fact many experienced husbands cannot do what you did. (Charles is defeated; he heaves a huge sigh and bows holding his face in his palms)

Wife: My husband charley you know we love you just like our own, so please be open with us and always feel free to seek our advice when you need it.

Charles; yes ma, thank you Daddy, I will always remember that.

Wife: We women are difficult to understand, we bring out new attitudes with every new day but really we are like babies that simply need to be loved and pampered (Husband cuts in)

Uncle: Patience my boy! Patience is the key word every man needs to succeed in his marriage. You are barely a month old in marriage and you are already having headaches, my dear you have not started o! A time will come you will feel like to commit suicide or murder or to even run away. But those are the ways of a coward. It is your family; you are the Captain of the Ship! So if it sinks, you sink with it. If your marriage fails, then you are a failure. Your wife should have been here today if she has any regard and respect for me because I am your father, she was handed over to me by her Father on your wedding day. The two of us were your parent on your wedding day. True or false?

Charles: That true Baba, I have no other parent but the two of you.

Uncle; Good! Your wife chooses not to be here today for reasons best known to the two of you. The story you told about her Mum being Hospitalized has a hole because I discussed with her father on my way here. You know we are Business Partners. I told him we were on our way here and we scheduled to visit them at home come next week. The Father did not tell me anything concerning the wife’s health which ordinarily he would have done because we are that close! (Charles covers his face in shame shaking his head) Secondly Charley you do not lie! You do not know how to lie so why trying? Something you did not do as a kid, is it now that you are learning it?

Wife: Daddy don’t be upset, Charley is only trying to be a man, I think that runs in your family, You know you are like that too. Not wanting a third party to meddle into your family affair.

Uncle; What! So I am third party in Charley’s family affairs? So I cannot advise my Son?

Wife: (Soothingly) Daddy, haba! You are not third party in his life, but between him and his wife, you are. What you owe him is fatherly advice and that is what you are doing and you are doing it well that is why the boy has grown to become like you and his father.

Charles: I am sorry Sir, you see we got into..(Uncle cuts in)

Uncle: No! No! no! Don’t give me details, it’s your personal affair and I loved the way you have tried to manage it, at your age I doubt if I could have handled it better. Just learn to be patient and do not ever bring third party into your domestic disputes (Wife chips in)

Wife: yes Charley, every Lizard lie prostrate, no one know which has belle ache! Please the world is full of sycophants, Vipers and jealous People. Always settle your problems indoor before going to Bed or before leaving the house for work and as Daddy said, please be Patient with her……….(Till Fade)
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:08pm On Sep 25, 2014
ACT 8 SCENE 1

(Interior: Doris enters the sitting to the delight of her Mother and her younger Brother. Emmanuel rushes to embrace her)

Emmanuel: (Pure excitement) Hey Aunty Doris! Aunty Doris welcome!

Mother: Eeoo! Iyawo tuntun! (New Bride) look at you! (The scene depicts typical joyous scenario as the Mother embraces her Daughter, pulls her towards a Couch, sits her down and sat very close to her) Your husband, where is he?

Doris: Mummy please do not bother about Charles joor! He refused to come with me.

Mother: Ahn! ahn! What do you mean by he refused to come with you? But you told me you were coming together, why would he refuse to come after all?

Doris: Mummy please, just let’s forget Charles and talk of other things. Charles is only trying to act as a man! (Hisses) Where is Daddy

Mother: Trying to act as a Man? (Retorts) Is he not a man already? Please come plain with me, is there any problem? (Emmanuel interrupts)

Emmanuel: Aunty! Aunty! What did you bring for me nah?

Mother: Shut up joor! Olodo rabata (Dull head) Spoilt Child! Your mates are in the University, common J.A.M.B you cannot pass, and you sit at home tasking everybody (Hisses) Ehen! Talk to me my daughter; hope you are not having issues so early in your marriage? I do not like the tone you used to refer to your husband, kilonsele? (What is happening?) (Emma interrupts)

Emmanuel: But Mummy! I passed J.A.M.B nah! Is it not you people that refused to give me money for sorting? Everyone is sorting to get into the University these days. Even my Friend Tunde who scored less than me in the exam is now in School because his Father gave him eighty thousand naira to sort.

Doris: Really? My God! What has our higher institutions turned into? Mummy please you better do as others are doing o! Else this boy will grow into a nuisance in this House.

Mother: Well, tell that to your Father and hear what he will say.

Emmanuel: (Mimicking his father) Work hard! Young Man work hard! There is dignity in labour! During our days we read with lanterns! We trek two miles to School! We (Interrupted by laughter)

Doris: (Laughing) this boy you are not well o! Is it Daddy that you are mimicking? You just let him catch you okay? (All join in the laughter as Daddy enters)

Daddy: (Coughs to attract attention) Iyawo wa! (Our new bride) (Doris rushes to hug her dad then kneels before him in greetings, daddy blesses her then lifts her up) when I heard the noise in the sitting room I was wondering who it was that has come visiting.

Doris: So you were not expecting me? But I told Mummy I will be home today (Faces her Mum) mummy did you not tell Daddy I was coming?

Daddy: She told me you and your husband were coming after church service but your father in law called me some hours ago that they were on their way to pay you a visit so I assumed you may not make it here today till another time. So where is your Husband?

Doris: he is not here!

Daddy: I can see that and that is why I am asking.

Doris: he refused to come with me

Daddy: Why would he do that? You said he refused! Did the two of you agree to come together?

Doris: (Perplexed) Daddy I don’t want to talk about Charles now, he is annoying me

Mummy: Daddy please let her be for now we would come to that later, Emmanuel go and get something for your sister to drink (Emmanuel dashes off)

Doris: Ehen Daddy! How far with Emmanuel’s School?

Daddy: Your brother wants me to help bribe his way into School! What nonsense! Imagine That! My own Son wanting to corrupt me! Did I bribe any one when you entered the University? What happened to hard work! Look my dear, you have to work hard! Hard work pays! There is dignity in labour! During our days we read with lanterns! We burnt the mid night candle! We trekked two miles to school; we wore no Slippers or Shoes to school! We were proud to sweat it out! We..(Doris Interrupts)

Doris: Daddy! Daddy! That was then! During your time you had jobs waiting for you on graduation, there were very few universities then and only the few privileged could attend, there was free education in your time which means Government of the day had the poor in their scheme of things, during your time were there strike actions? Were lecturers owed salaries and allowances?

Mummy: Good! Doris tell him!

Daddy: Tell me what! (He snaps)

Doris: Daddy Emma got a good grade in the JAMB examination; Emma already cleared his S.S.C.E at one sitting! You know Emma is very brilliant!

Daddy: Yes! Just like me!

Doris: Yes dad just like you! And your beautiful wife too (Pointing to Mummy, mummy smiles) and we inherited your brains! Thank you for that. Tunde that has gotten admission now is not half as brilliant as Emma but today he is an under graduate and that is all that matters. Tunde’s Parent is now proud of Tunde for getting an admission into the University. They will not want to believe that Emma could not get admission because you refused to do what they did! They will say Emma Failed! They will say with all the noise you make about your intelligence and principles, your Son could not pass common JAMB, your so call brilliant Son! The money they are asking for is not to increase or decrease his scores, no! It is just to facilitate the admission process. The Staff that should do that have not being paid for over five months, how would they survive if not for the little tips and gratifications they get from here and there? (Emmanuel comes in with a tray of Juice and places on the side stool by Doris) Thank you Emma! (Picks up the Glass of juice and sips)

Mummy: Emma Oya kneel down and thank your Daddy, you are going to start late registration processing tomorrow! Thank your sister too!

(Emma was shocked with disbelief! He screamed, jumped on his Dad, Mum and Sister, hugging them in turn, he started to sing “He’s a miracle working God”. Mummy and Sister joins him in the rendition dancing)

Emmanuel: Daddy! I love you! I am so happy! (Hugging his daddy excitedly) Daddy I promise not to let you down, trust me I will come out with flying colours! Wao! Now I truly believe God answers prayers!

Daddy: (Clears his throat) Em, em! I will transfer some money into your account; make sure you make us proud! (He turns and goes back into the room) Let me go and prepare for the Club meeting.

(Mum and gave daughter gave themselves a “high five” .Emmanuel in his jubilant mood tries to lift his sister up)

Doris: (Struggling) Emma! Emma! Keep me down! Please don’t fall me!

Mummy: kai! Emma keep your Sister down! Don’t you know she is a married woman now?

(Emma drops Doris and goes to carry the Mum up, the mum runs calling on Daddy and Emma chase her into the room)

SCENE 2

(Doris is seated watching the television as Daddy comes out dressed for outing)

Daddy: My dear am off! I am going for our club meeting, I may come back home late but extend my greetings to your husband when you go home alright?

Doris: yes Dad, have fun! And take it easy on the bottles o! You know you are ageing.

Daddy: Ageing for where! Me? Have you ever seen an old Cockroach? All Cockroaches shine till they die! This is how your Father will be shining till death. I am a young Bobo (young Stud) for life!

Doris: (Doris hails) Bobo for life! Bobo for life! (Daddy acknowledges cheers as he exits the house with hands raised up, two fingers in the air. Mummy enters)

Mummy: father and Daughter! As he is going so he will not return till mid night

Doris: Ha! Mummy it’s you that allowed it o! If it is me I would have stopped it long ago!

Mummy: Hmmm well you know your Dad nah! Stop him from hanging out with his friends on Sunday? That’s the only time he hangs out with them as he is always busy with his business. I cannot do that to him as that would be so unfair. What about me? I attend several meetings and ceremonies even when he does not attend, and he allows me to, once I indicate interest. Stopping him will be like looking for trouble where none exists!

Doris: But do you know what they do at such meetings? After discussing the agenda of the meeting they resort to drinking and womanizing! Can’t you hear Daddy still calling himself Bobo? Imagine! My father a Bobo, then what would Emmanuel call himself?

(Enters Emmanuel, dressed to go out. Still jubilant)

Emmanuel: Mummy! Sister! I want to go and see my Guys!

Mummy: Hmmm Campus Guy! You want to go and announce it to the whole world that you have gained admission too abi?

Emmanuel: Mummy I just want to chill with some Friends and share my joy with them

Doris: What joy? Are you normal at all this boy?

(Mummy and Emmanuel are shocked at the outburst)

Mummy: Doris! What again?

Doris: What joy are you sharing I ask again? The joy that your father is going to bribe you into school? Have you even gotten the money Dad promised you yet? What if you reach the School tomorrow and everything has changed? If you utter a word of what transpired here this evening to any soul outside this House, I will personally see to it that you loose that admission! Yeye! (Stupid) Woman Wrapper! I want to go and share Joy (Mimicking Emmanuel) Joy ko! Paulina ni! (Hisses a long one)

Mummy: Emma your Sister is right; keep it to yourself for now until everything is sorted out. Okay? By that time you will be sure you have every reason to celebrate!

Emma: Okay mummy thanks a lot, I understand. (Stares at the Sister till she stares back out of curiosity) Margaret Thatcher!

Doris: (Stands up and chases him as he runs out of the House) If I catch you? Yeye (Stupid) Boy!

Mummy: Doris! come and sit down, leave Emma alone! You know he is a small Boy.

Doris: (Sits down) Small Boy at seventeen? His mate are married and bearing Children elsewhere. Mummy you people will spoil this Boy o!

Mummy: Nobody is spoiling him, it is normal at his age to act like that and our job is to be putting him right just as you have done. Learning is a continuous process.

Doris: Ehen! What were we saying before Mr. Joy came to interrupt? Yes! As I was saying, I cannot allow my husband to go out to any social function without me o! Let alone allow him return at night.

Mummy: So if you were me you would follow him to the Club meeting? A meeting for Men?

Doris: I won’t go with him but once it is six o’clock I will call him and request him back home else I will go to the venue and embarrass him!

Mummy: My God! Doris! Where did you learn this attitude? For sure I did not teach you this! Why are you so uptight?

Doris: Mummy I went to the University to learn, I learnt in and out of academic curriculum, I learnt from personal experience, I learnt from other people’s experience, I learnt from things I read, all these plus what you taught me at home has helped formed my character!

Mummy: My Daughter I went through the university too, have you forgotten? I still cringe today when I reflect on some of my escapades back then. But when I married your father I was tamed and I allowed myself to be tamed, that is why we are together today after twenty five years.

Doris: what do you mean by”You were tamed”? What did he do to you?

Mummy: It is not what he did to me but what I did to myself, I listened to advice, and I sought counseling because I thought I was tough but your father happened to be tougher. He never raised his hand against me; did you ever witness him beating me?

Doris: How could he? Any man, who dare lays his hand on me will rot in jail.

Mummy: (Laughs out loud) In Nigeria? In Africa? My dear you have been reading the wrong books o! Those your Books are not tropicalised! They are not meant for Africans! Wake up Doris! Smell the Coffee! This is reality time, no more fiction! My dear sometimes I wished your Dad had beaten me than what he does to me when we are having issues.

Doris: What does he do to you Mum?

Mummy: Well let’s say that is my own Cup of tea. But your Daddy is the best husband one can have. He is a real Man, I worship him, he is my king, my Knight, he makes me feel protected, he pampers me with love, I adore him and I trust him!

Doris: Mummy women like you are weak and that is why so many men take women for granted! There are so many Societies out there fighting injustices meted against women by men, women need to be strong, resilient, purposeful, determined and assertive! Women need to be in charge of the home!

Mummy: My dear, listen to me, I am your mother and I cannot deceive you. What you see as weakness in me is actually my strength. It is called humility, it is called submission, it is called wisdom, and it is called sacrifice! Because I am weak my husband is strong for me, because I am submissive my husband your father is protective, because I am humble my husband is proud, because I sacrifice, my husband provides for me! And in my wisdom I have been able to keep my home for twenty five years peacefully.

Doris: Mummy most men do not appreciate that from us! They don’t!

Mummy: Have you even tried? You are barely married for one month and with this your mind set, I foresee trouble in no distant time. Why are you so bitter Child? Did you experience a sour relationship before marriage? Marriage is a totally different ball game from courtship.

Doris: Mummy I love my husband, I love him so much that it scares me he might take me for a ride if he finds out how much I love him.

Mummy: My daughter the mistake most women make is assuming the role of loving their husbands! When you love someone you want to protect him, you can deny yourself for his sake, you care for him, you make sure he or she is happy and contented (Doris interrupts)

Doris: Mummy that is exactly the way I feel towards Charles but he seems not to want to reason with me on issues

Mummy: You got it wrong Doris! You are so wrong! These attributes I listed should not come from you! It should come from your husband! All your husband need from you is RESPECT! (Spells R.E.S.P.E.C.T) that’s all! The Holy book did not say women should love their husbands! It states in Ephesians Chapter 5:22-23 “Wives, submit your selves to your husbands as you do the Lord, for the husband is the head of the Wife as Christ is the head of the Church, his body of which he is the head, now as the Church submits to Christ so also Wives should submit to their husband in everything (Emphasizes “Everything”). The Bible went ahead in verse 25 and states” Husbands, love your Wives, just as Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her. Verse 28 says “In this same way husbands ought to love their Wives as their own bodies, after all no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body just as Christ does the Church” finally verse 33 says “however each one of you must love his Wife as he loves himself and the wife must respect (Emphasizes “Respect”)
To submit is to be humble, to respect, to revere, to appreciate, to hold in high esteem. When a man sees that you so honour him, he will love you endlessly because he would not want to lose that honour from you. The type of love you are professing you have for your husband is like wanting to take over his role in the House! A sane man will resist it with all his might except that Man is not worth the name.

Doris: mummy I am confused! I am so, so confused, I need a glass of water (She stands up and proceeds to the kitchen as light fades)

3 Likes

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by icekream(m): 9:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
Enjoying it.

2 Likes

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by Iolite(f): 9:55pm On Sep 25, 2014
I love your play.

2 Likes

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by merieam16(f): 10:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
Thumbs up...u got me glue'd 2 my fone

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:20pm On Sep 26, 2014
ACT 9 SCENE 1
(Telephone conversation between Charles and Doris)

Charles: Hello sweet heart?

Doris: Hi Charles how are you?

Charles: Honey it is eight o’clock where are you?

Doris: Where else but my father’s House! I will be spending the night here, I will come home tomorrow morning.

Charles: Ahn Ahn! Doris! Just like that?

Doris: What do you mean by “just like that”? Can’t I spend just one night in my Father’s House again? You could not even ask about the welfare of my Family, you are asking just like that! What has come over you nah Charles? (Charles keeps quiet while she rants on, he cuts off the call) Hello! Hello! Charles Charles! Imagine! The Idiot has cut off the line; he dare cut off the line on me! (Hisses) nonsense!

FADE OFF.

ACT 10 SCENE 1

(Late at night, about 11.45 PM. Daddy Knocks and opens the door, Mummy and Doris haves slept off while watching Television. Only Emmanuel is still watching.)

Emmanuel: Daddy welcome sir, he goes to meet Daddy and collects a wrapped Pack containing Suya (Barbecued Beer) hmm! Ram Suya! Thank you sir (Goes back to watching the Television as Mummy and Doris wakes up)

Mummy: Daddy you are welcome, how was it? (Facing Emmanuel) Old Boy Bring that Suya here let me take some!

Doris: Daddy welcome sir! Emma common bring that Suya here let us share it. Do you think Daddy bought it for you alone

Daddy: Thank you! Thank you! Ahn ahn Doris you are still here? I did not know you would be spending the night I would have bought Shawama for you.

Doris: Daddy are you chasing me away? Is this not my Father’s House? So because I am married now I am no longer welcome in this House?

Daddy: Haba Doris, why are you accusing me already? I simply said I did not know you will be sleeping over! Simple! Hope you discussed this and agreed with your husband sha?

Doris: Does he have a choice? Is this not where I lived for twenty four years before he married me just a month ago?

Daddy: Doris! Is your husband aware that that you are sleeping here or not! (He snaps)

Doris: Yes! He is aware! (Irritated)

Daddy: Did he give his consent?

Mummy: Daddy! Please your are just returning from meeting, go in and get refreshed, we shall talk this over later.

Daddy: (Visibly angry) Doris! Did your husband give his consent that you should sleep here tonight?

Doris: Ahn Ahn! Daddy I told him I will not be coming home till tomorrow morning!

Daddy: (Barking) what did he say? For the last time I am asking you, did he give his consent?

Doris: No sir!

Daddy: (Faces the Mother) Madam! Did you hear that? Are you aware of this or not?

Mummy: Haba Doris! I know you discussed with your husband on phone this evening, but you did not tell me he did not give his consent to you sleeping here nah! Oh my God! What kind of wahala (Problem) is this nah?

Daddy: (Now furious) I knew it! I knew something was wrong when you came here in the morning alone! I asked after your husband but you and your mother waved me aside. I knew you people were hiding something from me!

Doris: I told him yesterday that we should come and visit you but he refused!

Daddy: What do you mean by “He refused”? Charles can never say that ordinarily! Why did he refuse? Tell me I am listening!

Doris: I can see you are already taking sides with him so nothing I say now will vindicate me, now you prefer an outsider to your own daughter

Daddy: (raises his hand on his head in anguish) ye! Moku! moku! moku! (I am dead) Doris! Are you mad? Who is an outsider? Your husband? My own Son in-law? Where on earth did you learn to talk like this? Because I know very well that my Wife did not teach you this! My God!

Doris! Are you my own Doris or has an evil spirit possessed you? You dare call my Son in-law an outsider in my House? Your husband that paid your Bride price in full! A man that took you to the Alter of God and said “I do”! A man ….a man (Coughs) yee! (Screams and clutches his chest) yee! Jesun! Jesun gbami! (Jesus help me!) (He gradually slumps to the ground writhing in pain.

(Screams and confusion engulfs the house as they all rush towards Daddy. Daddy has a heart attack)

FADE

ACT 11 SCENE 1

Charles is dressed for work; he has been dialing and listening to his phone, obviously trying to reach the Wife
Charles (soliloquizing) why is Doris not picking my calls? She promised to be home this morning. (He shrugs and exits the house with his suitcase)

FADE

ACT 12 SCENE 1

(Charles’s office, everyone is working happily except for Charles that looks Pensive, he is having problem concentrating on his work, his desk is disorganized and he keeps tearing up documents as he prints them due to error, he keeps dialing and listening to his phone. He makes another error)

Charles: oh God! What is this nah? I have been making mistakes on this proposal since morning; I have not been able to develop more than two pages! I just can’t concentrate! (Bangs hand on the Desk)

Clara: Charley are you sure you are okay? You have been so cold and brooding all day, you are also edgy. I have been trying to ask you but I feel it’s up to you to share your feeling or not.

Yusuf: Guy na wetin dey do you nah? You have kept to yourself all day, or is madam starving you of something already? (General laughter) why are you guys laughing? I asked an innocent question and you Guys are laughing.

Patrick: What something could Madam be starving him of so soon in the marriage? Yusuf please explain o!

Yusuf: All ye of corrupt minds! Can’t madam starve him of Food, love and attention? Must it be what you guys are thinking?

Patrick: And what are we thinking? Mr. Counselor! Tell us make we hear!

Charles: (Stands up from his work) I think I need to go and get something to eat first! Maybe that is why I cannot concentrate.

Patrick: (laughing loud) so na hunger? No wonder! Hunger is not a good experience o! Especially in the morning after a hard nights job in the bedroom! (General laughter)

Clara: Yusuf so you joined in the laughter? I thought you do not have a corrupt mind?

Yusuf: (Still laughing) This Patrick is a bad influence, the Guy is rotten! And that is why he is not married at thirty seven years! But I think he is talking from experience sha!

Patrick: Yes o! I am talking from experience or Clara no be so?

Clara: Ahn ahn! (Exclaims)Why are you asking me? I beg I no know o!

(Mr. Ayo enters with a file and goes straight to Charles’s table as everybody rush back to their seats)

Mr.Ayo: (Furious) Charles! Are you okay? I think you are not fully recovered from your honeymoon! This file is full of rubbish! I cannot present this to the board! (Slams the File on Charles’s table) and why is your Desk so scattered? The Neck Tie you are wearing is wobbled at the Collar and the Tie does not even match your shirt! Charles! I think you need a casual leave, something is not right! (Mr. Ayo turns to go, takes few steps, turns back to Charles) in fact Charles! See me in my office right away (He turns to go as Charles speaks)

Charles: Excuse me sir! (Stands up and raises a finger) Please sir, em, em let me go and eat first at the Restaurant opposite the Office; I will see you immediately I am back Please sir! (The laughter from his Colleague did not let him hear his Boss’s reply as he rushed out of the Office)

Patrick: Marriage! How can a married Man with a Wife at home be this hungry at ten o’clock in the morning? Even if it is common tea, couldn’t he have taken? Now see how hunger dey embarrass married man! (Laughing) when charley was not married I never heard him complain of hunger let alone lose focus on his job. But see him now, he decides to share his life with a Woman and things are falling apart!

Yusuf: This is the first time Charles will behave like this since five years that we have been working together, I think it is more than hunger, our Colleague is going through a hard time but he is keeping it to himself.

Clara: I think you are right Pato! I noticed he has been on his phone all day as if expecting a call. If something is bothering him, let him share it nah! After all a problem shared is a problem solved!

Yusuf: Well, you know, it is not every problem we share with People. If he shares his marital problem with someone like Pato, won’t that be like jumping from frying pan to fire? (Laughs)

Patrick: Old Boy I am a realist o! I don’t deceive myself and I tell People facts about life! As you see me so, I will be a bachelor for Life, if at all I will marry, then it will be on contract! There will be spelt out rules and regulations in the relationship. I and the woman must know our boundaries! In fact marriage is not my thing for now or next ten years! (Colleagues scream their surprise) okay then! I will only marry if Clara agrees to marry me. (He approaches Clara’s Desk and kneels before here) Sweet heart will you marry me?

Clara: (Pushes him away) I beg! I beg go! Who be your sweet heart? Mr. Casanova! No come give me bad luck I beg you! Instead of me to marry you I rather go to convent and become a Nun. (General laughter and fun till fade)
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by Orlolahdey(f): 1:32pm On Sep 27, 2014
Nice work...kip rocking

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 4:06pm On Sep 29, 2014
ACT 13 SCENE 1

Hospital scene, Mummy Emmanuel and Doris are restless, pacing to and fro and stopping every Staff that passes by to enquire about daddy’s state of health. The doctor appears and the trio rush to meet her.
Doctor: well, he is stable for now but is still resting. (Facing Mummy) Madam! You have to take it easy on him hence forth please, most especially now that he will not be able to use his left Arm and leg normally again! (Mummy faints as Doris and Emmanuel screams) nurse! Nurse! (Confusion till fade)

ACT 14 SCENE 1

Office scene, Charles rushes in with tooth pick in his mouth, Phone to his ear, he passes his colleagues and proceeds to see Mr.Ayo.
Patrick: Chai! Our Guy don de kolo o! (Others look towards Charles and shake their heads)
(Mr. Ayo is busy on the phone, he looks up as Charles walks into his Office, and he beckon at Charles pointing at a seat. Charles sits down)

Mr.Ayo: Charles how are you?

Charles: (Remembers the tooth pick in his mouth, hurriedly removes it, looks sideways for where to throw it, and then puts it in his Shirt Pocket.

Mr. Ayo pointed at the trash can in the Office) Oh sorry sir! (He removes the tooth pick from his Pocket and throws it into the trash can. Comes back to sit) Oga I am fine sir!

Mr.Ayo: Charley you are not fine at all! Haba! You are a total wreck! Is it marriage or are you involved in any shady business that is troubling you?

Charles: Sir, hmm (Heaves, sighs shaking his head) I think I have made a big mistake in my marital life! But don’t worry sir! I will sort myself out.

Mr.Ayo: Charles, I want to hear what happened! What mistake did you make? Just barely one month in marriage and you are sounding so sad and sour! Common spill it out now!

Charles: Okay sir! Okay! It started...(Continues till Fade)

ACT 15 SCENE 1

Hospital, Daddy and mummy are sleeping in separate Beds in the same Ward; Doris is seated at the edge of Daddy’s Bed crying while Emmanuel is seated at the edge of Mummy’s Bed looking lost.

Doris: (Crying) Daddy please I am sorry, please forgive me, I caused all this problem and I feel like killing myself…(Emmanuel interrupts)

Emmanuel: You better kill yourself o! Aunty you better kill yourself because if anything happens to my Parent I will personally kill you!

Doris: (Crying louder) haa! Emmanuel please nah! Please I beg you don’t talk like that!

Emmanuel: If you kill my Parent, who will train me in School? You? I can’t even bear the thought of living with you let alone depending on you! You will make my life a living hell!

Doris: Haa! (Wailing and clinging onto Emma, while Emma tries to set himself free) Emma! Emma! It’s me o! When have I become a Witch? When have I become so terrible?

Emmanuel: (Pushes her off) Just pray that nothing happens to them! I have already called Sister Jane and told her what you have done! She will be here by first flight tomorrow!

Doris: (Kneeling) Emma please you don’t have to do that! You don’t have to do that o! Gawd! I am finished! What have I done? What have I done o! How do I explain this to the world? That I killed my Parent! Ha! I am finished!

Emmanuel: Your problem is that you are too dominating! You think your opinion is always the best! Now that you are married I thank God! But I feel sorry for your husband! (Doris jumps up suddenly)

Doris: Ye! My Husband! Where is my Husband? (Looks about searching for something) My Phone! Where is my Phone?

Emmanuel: Which Phone? Did you come here with Phone? Or have you forgotten how we got here? (Doctor and a nurse walks into the ward, Emma approaches) Doctor please what’s the test result like?

Doctor: Please calm down, everything will be okay, Mummy is okay she is just sleeping now due to the drug we gave her to stabilize her blood pressure, she actually escaped a heart attack! (Doris suppresses a scream by covering her mouth with her palm, she stamps her foot on the ground scratching and pulling her hair) Doris please be calm and the two of you should stop making a fuss here else you would have to leave the Ward

Emmanuel: Sorry ma! No more fuss! Em, Please what about Daddy?

Doctor: Well as I was trying to explain to you before Mummy passed out, Daddy had a minor stroke that affected the left part of his body but his brain is not affected, all things being equal he should recover fully in say three months (Emma makes the sign of the cross while Doris kneels down with arms stretched to heaven) I have contacted a therapist that shall see to his case to facilitate his recovery. But hence forth no more arguments or quarrel or any situation that would aggravate the blood pressures (Doris nods her head continuously in in agreement) The Nurse will come back in thirty minutes to administer their drugs; they should be awake by then. (Doctor and Nurse turns to leave as Emma and Doris express gratitude)

Emmanuel: Thank God! Thank God! (Facing the Sister) Just thank your God that the Doctor has brought us hope!

Doris: Yes! Yes! I thank God o! Emma I thank God o! Ha! Now I know that there is God o!! Emma please call Jane and tell her not to bother coming again! Please! Tell her all is well please ( Daddy stirs in his bed, opens his eyes and calls Emmanuel, as Emma rushes to his side Mummy also stirs in her bed, open her eyes and calls Doris. Doris falls on her knee by her bed side crying …….FADE)
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by Iolite(f): 6:50pm On Sep 29, 2014
Hope this is not end o. And pls help oga Charles out of his misery, am seriously feeling for him.

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by seunviju(f): 8:14pm On Sep 29, 2014
Am really loving this play.Am already learning some lessons from it.Nice work Dom,keep it up

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 30, 2014
Learnin frm dis. I pray i dnt turn out to b lyk Doris o.
Nyc wrk Domawoleye.

2 Likes

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by charijee(f): 10:27am On Sep 30, 2014
wow this is so touching and educating too......now Doris will cut down that her pride and pomposity.......nice one writer......kudos to you....

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
ACT 16 SCENE 1

Office: Charles and Mr.Ayo

Charles: so you see sir, my Wife is so stubborn! She does whatever pleases her as long as it suites her, she does not care how I feel; she does not respect me nor has regard for my family! I am getting fed up sir! Honestly if I knew she would turn out like this I would not have rushed into marriage!

Mr.Ayo: Did you rush into marriage? At thirty two years? When did you graduate? Your records shows that you graduated at twenty five, you married seven years later and you say you rushed into marriage? Oh! You would have preferred to be like Patrick abi?

Charles: At least Patrick would not have to go through what I am passing through!

Mr.Ayo: Listen Boy! Do not ever use someone else’s life style to ascertain your situation in life because ever body has his own destiny. You have decided to become a complete Man by getting married and starting your own family. Patrick is just a Boy enveloped in a man’s body. In due time he will grow up and by then he will regret every year he had wasted. Patrick’s ways are the ways of cowards who are scared of responsibilities! I only like because he is good at his job and that is what has joined us together. So you have to focus on your Ship and your crew, let the other man captain his own Ship too. We need varying skills and experience to overcome the imminent turbulence we face at sea!

Charles: Sir my own turbulence is too much nah! And it is coming in high torrents! It is too early in my marriage! Too early Oga!

Mr.Ayo: Charley! The end they say justifies the means, any successful business must have a rough beginning. It is better for issues to come up now and you nip it in the bud, that it coming up when you have had children and other commitments. But I want you to be patient, just be patient, women are very easy to handle as long as you play mature. You do not need to prove to them that you are in charge no! You are naturally in charge as ordained by God so you do not need extra effort to prove it else they will mock you and say you are trying to act as a man and this will make you mad.(Charles interrupts)

Charles: Ha! Sir are you saying I should not do anything? Oga I respect you so much o! But on this one I must do something. I need to teach Doris not to ever take me for granted. As you said sir, I have to nip it in the bud now!

Mr.Ayo: Boy! Do not act out of anger for you will make mistakes, did she commit adultery? Did she kill somebody? Why are you over reacting? Just because she is acting as a woman that she is? Every Woman will behave the way she did especially at this stage of marriage, they are yet to fully come to terms with the fact that they belong to a new family now with a person a little older than them as their head. They forget that the game has changed from Courtship to marriage, they forget that the drum beat has changed and so must the dance steps! You need to help them with a gradual induction into the new world! What do you plan to do now?

Charles: Induction Sir! What about me? Who will induct me? I will first of all send her back to her father’s house since she prefers there to my House! I will change the Lock and key to my House so she cannot come back in my absence!

Mr.Ayo: And after that what next?

Charles: How? “What next” as how? I don’t understand!

Mr.Ayo: From the way you are charging I thought you were going to do something more drastic! Listen Charley you are a good Guy and from what you have decided to I am more convinced that you will make a good husband, some men would have thought of wanting to beat up the woman and throwing her luggage out of the house.

Charles: No sir! I cannot beat up a woman let alone the one I married, but I just need space maybe that would make the two of us re think about the entire marriage thing.

Mr.Ayo: Decapitating the head is not the cure to a headache or migraine. Now, you said she did not come home as she promised in the morning and has refused to pick your calls all day?

Charles: yes sir! Can you beat that? My Battery has run down twice and I have had to recharge it in the office here! How can a woman be so inconsiderate?

Mr. Ayo: Is it in her character not to pick your calls? Even when you quarrel?

Charles: No sir! This is the first time she is doing it and I swear it will be her last!

Mr.Ayo: Easy Boy! Can’t you see you are getting it wrong? Are you not allowing anger to blind your judgment here?

Charles: How Oga?

Mr.Ayo: if I were you, I would be scared of her safety first instead of being angry. Your wife told you she will be home in the morning, she did not come as expected, and she has been incommunicado till this afternoon! Can’t you see something is wrong? As you could not get her who else did you call in her family at least to be sure she is not there anymore? Did you call any of her family members?

Charles: No Sir! I actually did not think of that sir!

Mr.Ayo: What about if she had left very early in the morning and something has happened to her on her way back home? Do you think the Family or the Police will not hold you liable for not raising necessary alarm when you should?

Charles: Ye! Mogbe! (Am done for) Oga you are trying to turn this thing against me o! (He begins to fumble with his phone) Let me call the younger Brother first, ha God! What kind of thing is this nah?

LIGHTS FADE
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 3:34pm On Sep 30, 2014
ACT 17 SCENE 1

Hospital: Emmanuel hugs Daddy, gives Mummy a kiss and rushes out of the ward screaming

Emmanuel: Doctor! Nurse! Doctor! (He exits to re enter with Doctor and Nurse on his trail) They are conscious! Doctor they are awake! Thank God (Visibly excited)

Doctor: (Brings out stethoscope so check their pulse, she checks the tongue and the eyes of the two patients, gives a nod of approval) Very good! They are fully recuperated! I will discharge them this evening by nine o’clock

Doris: You mean we can take them home tonight? Thank you Jesus!

Emmanuel: (Challenges) what do you mean by “we”? You are going back to your husband’s house from here! You are not going back to that house!

Doris: Emmanuel you must be very stupid! Are you insane or something? How dare you talk to me in that manner? Am I your mate?

Emmanuel: Aunty let me just tell you the truth! I have no more regards for you, because I have seen what you are capable of doing! Don’t kill my parent for me please! Let them train me in the University the way they trained you! Please I am begging you. Go! Go to your husband, you are married now! You can go and kill you husband with heart attack and not Daddy and Mummy please!

Doris: Oh my God! (Crying profusely) can you all hear how Emma is insulting me? A boy that I carried on my back when he was a Baby! Emmanuel! (Pointing at Emmanuel) I changed your diapers! I bathed you and dressed you! Emmanuel you defecated and urinated on me severally, you slept on my back; I stayed awake with you all night singing to you and telling you stories! Emma I (Emmanuel interrupts)

Emmanuel: (Crying) Aunty I am sorry! I am sorry (Approaches his Sister and they hug in tears) I am just scared, I do not want to be an Orphan now. I love Daddy and Mummy so much, who will take their place in my life if they die? Who? Who? (Cries louder…..Telephone rings; Emma checks his Pocket and brings out his phone) Aunty it’s your husband! (Hands over phone to Doris)

Telephone conversation

Doris: Hello! Charley! (Sobs)

Charles: Hello? Doris is that you? Your voice sounds somehow, so you are still at home right?

Doris: Charles we have been at the hospital since yester night! Daddy and mummy are on admission!

Charles: What! Which Hospital? Your family Hospital?

Doris: Yes! Doctor Linda’s Clinic!

Charley: My God I will be there in a jiffy! (Cuts the line)

Doris: Darling please I am..Hello? Hello?

Doctor: Well I will leave you People for now; I can sense there are some family issues to be resolved here! But please note that you are in a Hospital, other patients need not be disturbed. Nurse! You can administer their drugs now (She exits as nurse administer medication to the Patients)

Nurse: It’s okay now, they are free to entertain visitors now (She exits)

Emmanuel: Thank you Nurse. Daddy how are you feeling now? And you too, mummy?

Mummy; (Tries to sit up on her bed, Doris gives her a helping hand) I am okay my dear, Daddy is my concern, honey how are you? (She moves to Daddy’s Bed and starts rubbing his head)

Daddy (Clears his throat) I feel strong but for the numbness I feel at my left side

Doris: The Doctor said you will be fine Daddy (She draws closer and holds Daddy’s hand)

Emmanuel: She said with a good therapist you will be up and bouncing in three months.

Daddy: Doris! Doris! (Doris moves closer to Daddy and puts her head on his Chest and arms around him) My baby Girl! I love you a lot; do you know why I love you?

Doris: Why Daddy?

Mummy: You are like him my dear; you are just like your Daddy.

Daddy: Yes my daughter! You are just like me. And that is my fear, I had thought that growing up into a Lady and going into the University would change you but no! I was wrong, rather the University hardened you. My dear you are not a Man! You are a Woman and as such should act as one. Your strength and assertiveness should not be to challenge Men especially your husband but to support him to succeed in his endeavor!

Doris: Daddy I am so confused now, but is it too late to change?

Mummy: No my dear, it is never too late, do not be carried away by the Crusaders of “Women Liberation” you simply have to know that respect is reciprocal. Delete every negative and defensive mind set you have inculcated and start with a fresh and open mind set. Let love flow through you. That is how to be a Woman of virtue!

Daddy: Doris my Angel, do you know that if I had died yester night your Mother would not have survived?

Doris: God forbid! (Snaps) Daddy, please don’t talk of death! How can you even think of death now?

Daddy: My Daughter! We all are debtors to death. Whenever the creditor comes knocking, you must pay up! If I die today I will not worry because before long your Mother will join me and we shall continue our love yonder. Also if your mother dies today I will join her the next day!

Emmanuel: Ahn ahn! Did you two swear an oath?

Mummy: (Laughing) Emmanuel you will not understand. But Daddy and I are inseparable. Have you ever seen us quarrel?

Emmanuel: Come to think of it! No! So you two never quarrel or what?

Daddy: We do! In fact we quarrel a lot but we do not sleep on it, we never raise our voices at each other and we use sign language a lot.

Emmanuel: (Laughs) Yeah! I can attest to that. You two can sell somebody with signs without the person knowing. (All laughs)

Daddy: So you see? We understand each other so much and that has brought about trust in our marriage. I can read the bitterness in your Mother when she if laughing, I can feel the joy in her soul even when she is crying. She is my life.

Mummy: Husband and Wife must not live as strangers on an Island. Your Spouse should be your best friend, your confidant, your soul mate! No soul should come in between you two! Not even your parent.

Doris: Oh my God! Where do I start from now Mummy? I got it all wrong! I developed this mind set when a man I loved so much jilted me in my second year at School. I believed you were just too weak that is why Daddy seems so strong and in charge. I could not show outward affection to any man again because I was hurt when I did that some years ago!

Daddy: That is it my Baby Girl, when a Horse throws you down from its back, climb and climb again! Sooner you will perfect at the art of Horse riding and a bond will be built between you and the Horse.

Doris: Can Charles forgive me? From now hence forth I am a changed person.

Daddy: That young Man is a husband any woman would wish for. I know a good man when I see one. You can make or mar your home; it’s all in your hands as the Woman of the House.

2 Likes

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by seunviju(f): 10:41pm On Sep 30, 2014
Lovely
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by onosj(f): 12:11pm On Oct 01, 2014
Nice update keep it up boss!
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by charijee(f): 4:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
Making sense!!!
More inspiration writer
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:43am On Oct 03, 2014
(The door bursts open and Charles rushes in panting, rushes straight to the bed)

Charles: What happened? Daddy! Mummy! Doris said you were admitted! Emmanuel what happened?
Emmanuel: Daddy had a heart at (Mummy interrupts)

Mummy: Charles my Son, it’s okay now, Daddy took ill and it affected me, you know we are like Romeo and Juliet.(Laughs) well I am okay now sha! But Daddy will take a little longer, I decided to be well so I can take care of him (General laughter save for Charles)

Charles: (Faces Doris) Doris why are you doing this to me? Where did I go wrong? How can all these be happening and you did not call to tell me? I have been calling you all day to no avail! You are not picking my calls! What is my offence? (He wipes off tears from his eyes) am I a stranger to your family? Should I not have been the first Person you call on when this happened? You left me heartbroken since yesterday! I was a total wreck at work today because I could not connect with you! Why are you creating this gap in our marriage? (Wipes off tears from his eyes) why Doris?

Doris; (fall on her knees) my love, my Knight, my big Brother, I am sorry! (Wipes off tears) in the pandemonium of rushing Daddy to the Hospital, I forgot my Phone at home. And the events that have been happening could not make me remember to call you! (Wipes off tears) sweet heart I am sorry for everything, all the heartache, all the pains I have caused you I am sorry. This is a new Doris you are looking at. From this day I shall no longer call you Charles but ‘Okan mi” (My heart) because you are the reason my heart beats! I love you so much that I was afraid to show it. I was scared you would take my love for granted (cries aloud)

Charles: (pulls her up, hugs her passionately, and kisses her on the lips) Honey I don’t know where this sudden change is coming from but I love it. I cannot take you for granted. People wonder why Roses have Thorns but I thank God that Thorns have Roses! You have just brought Roses upon my Thorns. My love I will spoil you with love and care, I will make you the envy of your mates, I will become restless to guarantee your rest, you will blossom in my house that people will marvel! You shall radiate in your beauty that the glow worms will become envious! My love! I love my new name “Okan mi” Our hearts shall beat together as one! I will laugh when you laugh! I will cry when you cry! Your pain is my pain! We shall be inseparable.

Doris: Okan mi! I shall respect you like my father, I shall play with you like a Brother, I shall believe in you and trust you like a demi god! I will make you a proud man! Your Friends shall be my friends! Your Family my Family! Your enemies my enemies! Through thick and thin we shall wade together. I love you so much it hurts (wipe off tears as Okan mi draws her closer in a bear hug. Mummy and Emmanuel approaches and embrace the Couple. Daddy tries with difficulty to get up and join the group, they saw him and all rush towards him as final light fades!)

ACT 18 SCENE 1

At home, Charles is prepared for work, seated on the Dining Table eating breakfast as Doris goes to and fro carrying out her morning Chores.

Charles: Sweet heart please I need an extra portion of food; I need to eat well because I have a lot of work to tidy up at the office this morning. You know, back log of yesterdays work.

Doris: Oh yes! You had to rush to meet us at the Hospital! I can imagine that, (Moves towards the kitchen) but you don’t need to eat too much now else you will be too tired to work; too much food makes one tired. I will simply put some food in the Food Flask for you so you eat at Lunch hour.

Charles: Yeah! Yeah! That is a good idea, thank you.

(Charles finishes his meal, stands up and adjust his Tie properly, tucks his Shirt into Trouser his properly and adjust his belt as Doris re enters with food Flask in a Bag)

Doris: Here! Keep it in the Car and make sure it is kept upright so it does not spill.

Charles: That’s my Baby! Thank you! (Collects the Bag from her, gives her a peck and proceeds to leave the House) Good bye sweet heart! See you in the evening.

Doris: Okan mi! (Charles pauses and turns around) I will be going out today, I don’t know how long I will stay but if I am not home before you close, then you may need to come and pick me up.

Charles: Ehen! No wahala, and where will you be?

Doris: (Moves closer and put arms around Charles’s) I am going to visit my Father In-law. They are both at home; your Uncle is on leave.

Charles: (Speechless: He plants a long passionate kiss, both gets exhausted. Doris gently turns him around and push him towards the door) Have a lovely day at work Okan mi!I love you.
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:46am On Oct 03, 2014
ACT 19 SCENE 1

Charles’s Office: Charles is busy at work, humming and nodding his head to the tune as he works. He takes completed Files to Mr.Ayo Office and returns to his Table working. His colleagues look at him bewildered.

Patrick: Charley well done o! Mr.Workaholic!

Charles: Pato! Pato! Thanks Men! I need to tidy up my Table Men!

Clara: Hmm na wao! Men! Men! Na that one dey reign for you today?

Charles: Men! I am happy men! I feel like a new born Baby Men! (Stands up gesticulating) I dey feel like Obasanjo men! I dey feel like Atiku Men! I dey feel like George Akume (All chorus Men!) I dey feel like Donald Duke (All Chorus Men!) I dey ( Others sees Mr.Ayo enter the Office and quickly concentrates on their work) I dey feel like Obama (Mr. Ayo shouted Men! Charles almost jumped out of his skin as everybody burst out laughing)

Mr.Ayo: Old Boy! You can feel any how you like joor! Wao! Thanks for a Job well done! (Waves some Files at Charles) I am going to finish them at that Board meeting today! Thank you Charley! You have made me proud Men! (Others chorus Men! Clapping for Charles)

Charles: Thank you very much sir! But sir, you know I owe it all to you sir! The advice you gave me yesterday did all the wonders!

Mr.Ayo: (Walking out of the Office) you are welcome my dear but please tell them! (Pointing at Patrick) tell them to go and marry, only then can they understand the beauty of it. Not jumping from one Carol to Paulina, to Clara! (He exits)

Clara: Ha! Oga no o! God forbid o!

Patrick: (To Clara) what? Why you dey shout? Is it only your name he called? Why are you always pretending as if you don’t like me?

Clara: My Gawd! You? If you are the only man left on this planet I would go for a monkey!

Patrick: (laughs loud) no wonder! You would have let us know all this while now? Instead of pretending you do not love me!

Clara: (Surprise) I should have let you know what?

Patrick: That you are in love with a monkey!

Clara: Me? I will kill you today!

(She picks up a book and chase Patrick around the office. After running two Circles, Patrick stops, she runs into him accidentally, Patrick grips her hand with his left hand, pulls her closer by her waist with his right hand and plants a long kiss on her lips, she mourns softly as she wrap her hands around Patrick for a prolonged kiss. Charles and Yusuf opens their mouth agape in total disbelief as light fades)

THE END.
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by joliematt(f): 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2014
lovely

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by charijee(f): 2:58pm On Oct 03, 2014
Intriguing piece of work.......should we expect more plays from you?

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by missuniverse(f): 3:18pm On Oct 03, 2014
wow!

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by anasbeaut(f): 9:30pm On Oct 03, 2014
Wow. Beautiful story

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by Iolite(f): 9:54pm On Oct 03, 2014
Awwww! Perfect ending.

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by seunviju(f): 10:28pm On Oct 03, 2014
Wow,a lovely one.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:19am On Oct 04, 2014
charijee: Intriguing piece of work.......should we expect more plays from you?
More Plays on the Way. Thanks a lot.
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by charijee(f): 5:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
DOMAWOLEYE:

More Plays on the Way. Thanks a lot.
Yaay that's good to know.....waiting patiently
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 7:54am On Oct 18, 2014
Re: Just Wedded...a Play by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
Nairaland Literature Awards Of The Year has begun and we need you to nominate the numerous writers that have been entertaining you..
And for you writers to vote your best readers....
Follow this link to know more
https://www.nairaland.com/1953789/nairaland-literature-awards-year

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mine Not Yours By Toyin Taiwo / BLOOD LEGACY - Action Thriller / Inspiring Letter To Fela Durotoye By A 14 Year Old Nigerian Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.