Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,852 members, 7,806,407 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

The Third Miracle - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Third Miracle (666 Views)

A Christmas Miracle - New Romance Story About Christmas / The Molue And The Miracle - A Short Story / Miracle By Tope Folarin (The story that made him a winner) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Third Miracle by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 25, 2014
Intro...
kiyesi, a young lady in her late teens, is about to experience the strangest and most difficult day of her life....just one precarious situation has opened the door to another two. Now, only miracles can save her day.

kiyesi was jolted back into consciousness when she heard strange noises coming from the direction of the footpath. She had been lost in thoughts, wondering when her father would return with the atuba plant needed for the treatment of her mother who had suddenly developed the dreaded respiratory illness- asemi.
The groans then became louder as she made out the appearance of three men approaching her father's hut. She however got startled like someone who got stung by a vengeful scorpion...the groaning man was her father! and was been supported to the hut by the native doctor and a neighbor. kiyesi rushed out to meet them as hot tears began to flow down her cheeks like watery akamu.
'what happened Papa?' she quizzed, looking at no one in particular. she was really confused.
Her father only handed her the leaves and said
'hurry my daughter, just rush down to Kiniwo village and save your mother....she must not die'
now kiyesi was more confused, but what was she to do?. Her mother had only gone for an occasion at the neighboring village, and had developed the dreaded illness- Asemi which was known to almost always slay its victims
'what can we do now' Kiyesi asked, facing the native doctor.
'your father got bitten by a strange snake my daughter' the native doctor replied.
Kiyesi burst into another bout of tears...now the devil had just arrived she thought. This was moving from frying pan to fire.
'I have tried all the anti-venoms I know, and your father still seems to have found no relief' the native doctor cleared his throat and continued
'a miracle is what we need here, the last man I treated after been bitten by a strange snake died in four hours....'
'And have already had three ' Kiyesi's father cut in sadly.
'now go, start going now and save your mother' he blurted out quickly before he relapsed into another verse of groans.
Re: The Third Miracle by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
Kiyesi could only pray silently for her father. She reluctantly left the hut with the leaves after much persuasion from the neighbor and made for her best friend Eniyin's house. There was little time for explanation as she grabbed her friend and said in a hurry 'it is an emergency'. Her friend could only oblige, she had never seen kiyesi looking so sad and uncertain.
They had hardly walked for two hours when an initially slowly gathering clouds precipitated into a heavy shower. It seemed the devil was playing chess with Kiyesi today, and she was losing badly. They could hardly see their way but trudged on like loyal soldiers, then came another blow. Beside the Aguratan river, her friend suddenly lost her footing on the slippery grass and rolled down the cliff. Before kiyesi could say -bye to Ebola, her friend was already in the fast flowing river. Kiyesi screamed for help, but no one was in sight. She could only watch helplessly as her friend was been washed further down the river. Now, this was from fire to hell!. kiyesi clasped her hands on her head and quickly rehearsed a solution in her mind. she could not swim, so taking a savior's dive would be far from heroic. She decided she was going to run into the village and seek help as fast as her aching legs could carry her. The village was now less than two hours away.
Re: The Third Miracle by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 25, 2014
As soon as she stepped into the village, she saw a young lady beckoning on her beside an old hut. thank goodness! the angel was her cousin Fimipe, and was there to usher her to where her mother was. Kiyesi could hardly talk, she was shivering and her stomach was hot like an overheating engine. Her legs were also aching badly and were vibrating under her like a new Nokia 3310 handset as if they were likely to collapse at any moment. Thankfully the rain had stopped for about thirty minutes now.
'my friend as drowned and my father is dying' Kiyesi blurted out and burst into tears
'friend drowned? and father dying?' Fimipe asked alarmed. she knew of her ill mother but a drowned friend and a dying father was never part of the bargain.
'in fact I need to find my friend' Kiyesi added quickly.
Fimipe made a quick run-around and was able to organize a group of young men who assembled to provide an unlikely rescue for Eniyin or recover her dead body. After four hours of intensive search they however returned with a negative news-she was not found.
Later that evening, Kiyesi sat quietly beside her mother. the atmosphere was tense and moods where very low like the depths of the pacific. The mother however had made some improvement and this was remarkable, it meant the dreaded asemi was going to have a cure. Their native doctor had used a mixture of leaves containing atuba leaves to successfully treat a sufferer of asemi, he however was not sure which of them did the trick. He had suggested that Kiyesi's father should obtain and send the leaves since other treatments been tried at the neighboring village seemed not to be working and his wife was too ill to return home. It was supposed to be good news if not for the way events have turned out.
Re: The Third Miracle by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
Something strange then happened. Eniyin's ghost walked into the hut, followed by Fimipe. It was just that the ghost looked too real and everybody saw it. Kiyesi got up slowly and began to examine her friend like a newly discovered relic.
'it is the real me' Eniyin said softly
'what!' kiyesi screamed and gave her a sudden and firm hug, almost choking her.
'how did this happen?' Kiyesi asked, with tears in her eyes.
Eniyin then narrated how she got caught in the branches of a fallen tree and was subsequently rescued by a hunter who appeared to be at the right place at the right time. Maybe an angel, who knows?
Now, this was the second miracle and the devil seemed to be losing the chess game now.
Kiyesi's mother had insisted they left that evening, she had her husband on her mind and wondered what had become of him...such mutual love. She had been vehemently dissuaded by her relatives who felt she was not well enough for the journey and wouldn't want them to travel at such an hour of the day. She could only pray that her husband would have experienced a miracle too.
At 8pm, a man arrived from Kiyesi's homeland and he had a message about Kiyesi's father. Everyone was apprehensive, and looked steadfastly on the Youngman who didn't repay their expectations but maintained his expressionless face. They knew what he was about to say but still had to hear it.... he however suddenly broke into a smile and said 'your husband sent me to see if you have experienced a miracle too'

The end.....

1 Like

Re: The Third Miracle by Aipete2(f): 10:13am On Sep 26, 2014
Great n Mighty God
Re: The Third Miracle by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 26, 2014
Aipete2: Great n Mighty God
smiley yeah

(1) (Reply)

The Unconventional War-when Animals Defend Themselves / ...the Love Just Dies / The Rastafari Love (how Does This Poem Look Like? You Are Free To Criticize Me)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.