Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,017 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels (1603 Views)

Check Out My Modified 05 RX330 On 22inch Wheels / Alloy Wheels Price / What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by adanny01(m): 11:47pm On Sep 25, 2014
This evening, I was driving through a street in Uyo. The street was just enough for two cars side by side but not for 3 especially while driving. I was doing like 20km/hr with my headlights at Lo (dipped beam) as i usually do on streets with street lighting or on that low speed. There were cars parked but the devil himself was approaching at an estimated speed of 30km/hr with his headlights on Hi (full beam). Lucky for me, our estimated point of passage had no cars parked so i estimated that at our current speed, it was very safe for both of us.

Rather unfortunate, since Mr Devil had his lights in good condition and on Hi, it was irritating to me. So i toggled my lights to Hi and back to Lo and waited 2 secs expecting him to dip his beam in response. There was non since i was dealing with the devil himself. I thought of doing what i sometimes do, i did it i.e i switched my lights to Hi and lets see who has better lights since i was driving a high SUV with excellent lights that immitated the sun. Of course i knew mine was better.

His reaction was one that was only expected of the devil himself and at this point we were close. Mr D toggled his lights from Hi to Lo and back to Hi in a second then moved further into my lane at the middle coming at his maintained speed. 2 meters from an imminent collision i swerved heading for the open drainage while applying brakes. I stopped at the edge of the drainage while he brushed my car starting from the rear fender flares to my rear bumper increasing in intensity. Mr Devil had done his worst still driving up the road at the middle without looking back, slowing down or at least braking. He joined the dual carriage way (Ikot ekpene rd) which was where i was coming from and speed off while i rushed out to 'nurse my wounds'. Mr D drove a '93 or there about Nissan Sunny painted in the township taxi colours of Akwa ibom st. If not for the difference in height of the two cars, my loss (he won) would have been gross.

Lesson learnt, NEVER TO DARE THE DEVIL HIMSELF ON OUR NEXT MEETING.

1 Like

Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by Nobody: 12:39am On Sep 26, 2014
I always drive like a gentleman, mostly, and always assume the other driver is an incompetent oaf.

1 Like

Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:10am On Sep 26, 2014
adanny01: This evening, I was driving through a street in Uyo. The street was just enough for two cars side by side but not for 3 especially while driving. I was doing like 20km/hr with my headlights at Lo (dipped beam) as i usually do on streets with street lighting or on that low speed. There were cars parked but the devil himself was approaching at an estimated speed of 30km/hr with his headlights on Hi (full beam). Lucky for me, our estimated point of passage had no cars parked so i estimated that at our current speed, it was very safe for both of us.

Rather unfortunate, since Mr Devil had his lights in good condition and on Hi, it was irritating to me. So i toggled my lights to Hi and back to Lo and waited 2 secs expecting him to dip his beam in response. There was non since i was dealing with the devil himself. I thought of doing what i sometimes do, i did it i.e i switched my lights to Hi and lets see who has better lights since i was driving a high SUV with excellent lights that immitated the sun. Of course i knew mine was better.

His reaction was one that was only expected of the devil himself and at this point we were close. Mr D toggled his lights from Hi to Lo and back to Hi in a second then moved further into my lane at the middle coming at his maintained speed. 2 meters from an imminent collision i swerved heading for the open drainage while applying brakes. I stopped at the edge of the drainage while he brushed my car starting from the rear fender flares to my rear bumper increasing in intensity. Mr Devil had done his worst still driving up the road at the middle without looking back, slowing down or at least braking. He joined the dual carriage way (Ikot ekpene rd) which was where i was coming from and speed off while i rushed out to 'nurse my wounds'. Mr D drove a '93 or there about Nissan Sunny painted in the township taxi colours of Akwa ibom st. If not for the difference in height of the two cars, my loss (he won) would have been gross.

Hard luck, that's what u get for playing chicken! Next time try equal opposite reaction, that way he would stop head on instead of passing with a scratch.
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by adanny01(m): 7:48am On Sep 26, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Hard luck, that's what u get for playing chicken! Next time try equal opposite reaction, that way he would stop head on instead of passing with a scratch.

Are you saying i shouldnt have avoided him so we could run into each other head on?
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by yungboss(m): 8:33am On Sep 26, 2014
Was he alone in the car...? So sorry about your 'injury'. I had an issue with a cab driver, who just brushed aside my e46, broke off the side mirror and continued ahead...but unlike you, I followed him and forced him to a halt...siezed his car key and almost drove away with it until I had a change of mind.
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by nurey(m): 8:43am On Sep 26, 2014
You are lucky, yours was the devil, I always meet lucifer every day at ikoyi even within estate driving with streetlights on, this lucifer always make use of high beam and the worst part is they have HID white beams which totaLly blinds me. Me I just apply the brakes or stop if I can't see slamming into gutter or cars is still manageable but killing pedestrians is worst and the pedestrians don't even evade cars they work on the road dictating to cars where to pass.

The culprits are always those driving jeeps especially the toyota prado and land cruisers new generations with their imposing used to blind high beams
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:44am On Sep 26, 2014
adanny01: This evening, I was driving through a street in Uyo. The street was just enough for two cars side by side but not for 3 especially while driving. I was doing like 20km/hr with my headlights at Lo (dipped beam) as i usually do on streets with street lighting or on that low speed. There were cars parked but the devil himself was approaching at an estimated speed of 30km/hr with his headlights on Hi (full beam). Lucky for me, our estimated point of passage had no cars parked so i estimated that at our current speed, it was very safe for both of us.

you played stupid with your life

a common thing with africa based drivers, there is no "courtesy driving" i.e stopping and letting the other driver pass through

we do it here UK on daily basic, streets would be full of cars both sides and out of courtesy one drivers slows down and signals (flashing of he headlights)the other driver to proceed, while the other driver waits and then the priority given drivers then sends a gesture of saying thank you

2 Likes

Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:12am On Sep 26, 2014
adanny01:

Are you saying i shouldnt have avoided him so we could run into each other head on?
In a wayy yes but giving urself a last minute option of sweving back.
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by bravolad(m): 10:13am On Sep 26, 2014
Quite a good number of such drivers here in Abuja. I meet them everyday. The taxi drivers are the worst culprits. I avoid them at all cost, no pride or arrogance. I just show courtesy and stop to allow them have their way. In comparison, most of the times, you have a better or neater ride than them so why risk the scratch and regret afterwards.
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by oluwaseunla(m): 10:40am On Sep 26, 2014
Op, I don't blame you. Had a bad experience with a commercial driver once on Oyo-Ogbomoso road. For those plying that route, you know it's extremely narrow, and you have a lot of oil tankers, not to talk of potholes.

The guy was behind an oncoming oil trailer. He was driving a commercial, fully loaded volks sharan. I was close to the trailer when he suddenly flashed his lights and overtook the truck. I was on like 100km/hr, the trailer should be on like 50km/hr. We both met at the middle of the trailer, his passengers were screaming. I stood my ground but at the last moment, my brain asked me: if I was in his shoes, would I rather run into a trailer or have a head on with a sedan. I knew the answer, and with the picture of my wife flashing in my head, I went off the road for him.
Lost a hub but I'm alive to post it on nairaland today.
Please be careful of some of those drivers. Some may actually be drunk, especially considering the time you encountered that one.

3 Likes

Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by adanny01(m): 3:17pm On Sep 26, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
In a wayy yes but giving urself a last minute option of sweving back.

All this happened within less than 10secs. I chose what i knew will be less of my loss. If we had a head on, his car will be more damaged but mine will be quite expensive to repair which the guy may nit be abke to afford. A friend used to call me chicken heart always, i guess am too cautious.
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by adanny01(m): 3:31pm On Sep 26, 2014
nurey: You are lucky, yours was the devil, I always meet lucifer every day at ikoyi even within estate driving with streetlights on, this lucifer always make use of high beam and the worst part is they have HID white beams which totaLly blinds me. Me I just apply the brakes or stop if I can't see slamming into gutter or cars is still manageable but killing pedestrians is worst and the pedestrians don't even evade cars they work on the road dictating to cars where to pass.

The culprits are always those driving jeeps especially the toyota prado and land cruisers new generations with their imposing used to blind high beams

Coincidentally, i was driving a toyota prado. I enjoy the lights but i always drive on lo knowing my lights will dazzle most drivers. All my life, i have never met a driver this mean and wicked.
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by Lagusta(m): 5:28pm On Sep 26, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

you played stupid with your life

a common thing with africa based drivers, there is no "courtesy driving" i.e stopping and letting the other driver pass through

we do it here UK on daily basic, streets would be full of cars both sides and out of courtesy one drivers slows down and signals (flashing of he headlights)the other driver to proceed, while the other driver waits and then the priority given drivers then sends a gesture of saying thank you

i personally do tht here in nigeria!!!
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by nurey(m): 8:15pm On Sep 26, 2014
I just met another devil reincarnated today, he was driving a MAZDA MPV he came behind me and his intention was to climb the bridge to the right and I was going straight, I thought he wanted to challenge me and so I stepped on the pedal not knowing he wanted to overtake me and join the bridge by the right he nearly slammed into my car three times if not for my defensive maneuver, my mum thought he was a thief or car jacker he was lucky he didn't wait to see my reaction
Re: I Met The Devil Himself On 4 Wheels by switosman(m): 11:34pm On Sep 27, 2014
My encounter was worse but I made him repair the dent.

I was 3rd in a row of cars to join a major road from a side street, at my turn, I notice the incoming car was not slowing to allow me go
Hence I left space for him upfront but the old fool crashed my right fender. When I came out I asked if he is a learner or brakes failed? And he is neither, so I told him he is a wicked guy and his only consolation is he will repair the damage.

(1) (Reply)

Whats With The 2015 Ford Edge??? / 2006 Landover Lr3 Or 2007 Ford Edge, Please Advise. / Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.