Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,842 members, 7,802,694 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre (1677 Views)

Ladies,how Do You Dispose Your Used Sanitary Pad. / Dairies Sanitary Pad Kills - Ladies Beware / She Cannot Use Sanitary Pads! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 26, 2014
The Guardian 26/9/14:
In Kenya, the banana plant has played an important role in society, including in marriage rituals and for the healing of wounds. In Kisii, a community in the west of the country, banana leaves are laid out to point towards a location for slaughtering a bull in ekemano (dowry negotiations). Juice from a banana stem is applied to help with blood clotting.

Now it is being used by two students at Kabarak University, a private higher education institution in the Rift Valley region, to tackle a major health issue.

Paul Ntikoisa, 22, and Ivy Etemesi, 21, have invented a banana fibre sanitary towel. Their aim is to change a situation in which superstitions about using pads and poverty have resulted in many woman and teenage girls being denied relief during menstruation.

Etemesi says: “During our research in December last year, in selected areas of Baringo county [in the Rift valley], some women and girls had no idea what pads were and, if they did, they could not afford them. Some feared that if they used them they could contract a disease that ate their flesh and bones.”

The students spent six months researching ideas. They finally rested on the banana plant having found its stems being used among Ugandan women during menstruation. “We thought, if banana stems could be used [for other things], why can’t we think beyond the obvious,” says Etemesi.

In July, after a farmer living near their university donated them the trunk of a banana tree, the pair began to convert their idea into a product based on the design and measurements of the standard pad.

The procedure begins with fleshing out the soft inner stems, washing them to remove impurities and crushing them on a wooden board with a pin to soften them into fine fibre. To harden the towel and kill off any bugs, the fine fibre is laid out in the sun for six hours.

It is disinfected before being arranged into strips, which are then sandwiched between two soft liners to provide comfort and to prevent skin irritation. The bottom side is fitted with a waterproof material to ensure against any leakages. It is manually woven into the towel. A transparent sticky tape is attached on the sides to keep it in place when worn.

Ntikoisa says six of their fellow students have tried them out and they worked for seven hours.

Now, Etemesi says, they are sourcing funds for advanced production and patenting their innovation. Both realise poverty could be a big hurdle to marketing the pad, although it sells for €0.061 – lower than the €0.087 price of the common pads.

At least 2.6 million schoolgirls in Kenya lack access to affordable and hygienic sanitary towels, according to Unesco.

Etemesi says: “Schoolgirls were hiding themselves at home until the elapse of their menstrual periods.” Ntikoisa adds: “It is extremely humiliating and devastating to see girls stay at home while boys comfortably remain in school. They never recover the days and they continue to lag behind.”

Some women and girls are forced to use leaves, rags, animal skins and even chicken feathers. In some cultures, they smear themselves with cow dung or dig holes and sit on them for the days they are menstruating.

“Women actually use soil to keep themselves dry. They are not able to go to the farms because the society does allow any scent of blood on a woman’s clothes,” says Etemesi.

Both students see huge potential in their invention and are approaching individuals, youth and women’s groups, churches, non-profit organisations, companies and devolved county governments for support. They are also hoping to patent their idea.

“Our market plan involves everybody but we cannot give further details at this point,” says Etemesi.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/sep/26/kenyan-girls-sanitary-problem-banana-fibre-pad

1 Like

Re: Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by 190: 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2014
embarassed embarassed
atleast it works dont it
Re: Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by Nobody: 12:34am On Oct 28, 2014
Very cool idea.

I'm sure they're going to help the young girls there,
especially b/c they're going to be more affordable than other manufactured pads.

I think it's great they're culturally-friendly too;
many of the women there are already familiar with the materials used.

This is what they're supposed to look like:

1 Like

Re: Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 29, 2014
Yields:
Very cool idea.

I'm sure they're going to help the young girls there,
especially b/c they're going to be more affordable than other manufactured pads.

I think it's great they're culturally-friendly too;
many of the women there are already familiar with the materials used.

This is what they're supposed to look like:

I fully support developing sanitary products using secondary byproduct nontoxic materials, and/or natural materials. It's a great development (like many others of its kind that seek to offer feminine hygiene solutions). If they can get a product to market and make it work, then next will come investment, refinements and cheaper pads per unit. Then it'll become fashionable, and we girls in the west will be rocking banana leaf pads every month because it's natural and that's the hype nowadays.

I pray it works out.

....Bananas though, my next fear would be spiders in my knickers cry

1 Like

Re: Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by LizNaira: 9:00am On Oct 30, 2014
This is a joke the government is issuing free sanitary pads Always to girls who can not afford!
Re: Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 30, 2014
LizNaira:
This is a joke the government is issuing free sanitary pads Always to girls who can not afford!

In Kenya? Access to free/affordable feminine hygiene products is not even 40% for women in certain countries. I've read somewhere that in Kenya it was 30%.

India (BBC, 2014) "Approximately 70% of all reproductive diseases in India are caused by poor menstrual hygiene - it can also affect maternal mortality." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26260978

It is no joke undecided

2 Likes

Re: Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by LizNaira: 2:16pm On Nov 01, 2014
I live in Kenya, Its a joke!
Re: Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by Nobody: 4:07am On Nov 03, 2014
Flytefalls:

I fully support developing sanitary products using secondary byproduct nontoxic materials, and/or natural materials. It's a great development (like many others of its kind that seek to offer feminine hygiene solutions). If they can get a product to market and make it work, then next will come investment, refinements and cheaper pads per unit. Then it'll become fashionable, and we girls in the west will be rocking banana leaf pads every month because it's natural and that's the hype nowadays.

I pray it works out.

....Bananas though, my next fear would be spiders in my knickers cry
I agree.

I was excited when Always Infinity and U Kotex pads (the ones that come in colourful wraps) came out, lol. I would totally try ones made from banana leaf fibres. =p

1 Like

Re: Kenya: Increasing Access To Sanitary Pads Using Banana-fibre by Lifenergy: 4:07am On Nov 03, 2014
Hello!
My name is Alexander. I'm the founder of non-profit project Lifenergy.info. It is large non-profit Internet service dedicated to human li fe and activities. There are no any ads, only useful information on very important threads for each person: nutrition, healthy living, stop smoking, motion, kids care, sleeping, slimming, lifeway, efficiency, dietary, habits and other.
Using Lifenergy.info we want to share healthy and active lifestyle.
For Lifenergy already developed the design and technical task. We just need to start developing. To do this, we need your help.
It could be sharing or some donations.
It is so important for us and so easy for you to help: http://lifenergy.info/development
Thank you :-)))

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Save Seyi Oguntade (very Graphic Photos) / Meet Hayley Okines, The Briton With An Ageing Disease Called Progeria / Mobile (home Service) Massage In Lagos, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.