Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

#applewave Hoax Ios 8 Feature Roasts Iphones In Microwave ; D ; D - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / #applewave Hoax Ios 8 Feature Roasts Iphones In Microwave ; D ; D (1319 Views)

4 Funny Phone Hoax In Nigeria, You Probably Are A Victim Of. / BBM Now On All Android & Iphones In Africa From Oct 25 / Reasons Why Blackberry Remain Better Than Android & Iphones In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#applewave Hoax Ios 8 Feature Roasts Iphones In Microwave ; D ; D by xtervaganza(m): 6:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
grin grin grin grin

Fake advertisements claiming iPhones can be charged by putting them in the microwave have caught out unwary users whose phones have been set on fire or left a smoking ruin when they've tried it.

Apple has been frantically trying to hose down the ad by internet pranksters 4-Chan, Tweeting warnings that it is a hoax and asking followers to urgently retweet the message.

'Heard of #AppleWave? IT'S A HOAX & WILL DESTROY YOUR IPHONE,' said a Tweet from the Apple iOS Support account. 'Please help spread the word!'

The warning came to late for many who fell for the convincing mock-up ad.

Posted originally by the notorious internet pranksters 4-Chan, the 'IOS 8 exclusive' Wave ad was designed to precisely mimic an update from Apple Inc following the release of their new software one week ago.

'Wave allows your device to be charged wirelessly through microwave frequencies,' the post read. 'Wave can be used to quickly charge your device's battery using any standard household microwave.' 

It instructs users to 'charge' their phones for 60 second at 700 watts or 70 seconds at 800 watts, while warning, 'Do not wave-charge for over 300 seconds'.

Gullible users took to their microwaves, and then to Twitter to show the results as a warning to other users by sharing images of smoking, cracked and flaming iPhones

The hoax was taken seriously by enough people for the Los Angeles Police Department to issue a warning.

'This #Wave capability is a #hoax. Don't be fooled into microwaving your #iPhone 6,' LAPD Communications tweeted.

The Los Angeles Fire Department have also issued warnings on radio stations, according to Nine News. 

'We were alarmed at this notion, because of course any metal inside of a microwave oven can lead to a fire and potentially an explosion,' spokesman Brian Humphrey said.

'So we're asking people to read the instructions on their smartphone device and realise there's no shortcut,' he said.

Apple's iOS Support is frantically tweeting warnings to their customers while trying to keep up with Twitter trolls who continue to report Wave as an effective phone charging method.

The hoax is not the first prank to be played by 4-Chan, who previously convinced many iPhone users that the iOS7 update would make their mobile phones waterproof.

1 Like

Re: #applewave Hoax Ios 8 Feature Roasts Iphones In Microwave ; D ; D by GogetterMD(m): 7:12pm On Sep 26, 2014
So oyinbo sef mumu like dis
Re: #applewave Hoax Ios 8 Feature Roasts Iphones In Microwave ; D ; D by xtervaganza(m): 8:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
GogetterMD: So oyinbo sef mumu like dis
see more pictures na

Re: #applewave Hoax Ios 8 Feature Roasts Iphones In Microwave ; D ; D by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 26, 2014
This hilarious#
I tot its only nigeria that is this gullible.
Oyibo version of "EVD salt bath"
Re: #applewave Hoax Ios 8 Feature Roasts Iphones In Microwave ; D ; D by xtervaganza(m): 10:25am On Sep 28, 2014
Lol

nobody mumu pass dem isheeps
Re: #applewave Hoax Ios 8 Feature Roasts Iphones In Microwave ; D ; D by slinkman(m): 11:22am On Sep 28, 2014
Isheeps can really be so gullible. i don't blaim them sha, since they are so much restricted on their devices, they tend to jump at any slightest news of an unrestricted project. iwave ko ifire mtcheew

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Searched For GIP V4.1 On Google I Couldnt Download Please Help / Blackberry Passort Or Blackberry Classic, Which Is Preferable? / How Du I Get My Free Data On Infinix Hot N I Nid Help On Rooting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.