Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Who Wrote The New Testament? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Wrote The New Testament? (3881 Views)

Who Wrote The New Testament ? / The New Testament Prophets Defined. / "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 26, 2014
Who wrote the New Testament?
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by SMALLPENIS(f): 9:47pm On Sep 26, 2014
It is a compilation of books of the disciples and apostles of christ ;matthew,mark,luke,john,paul,peter e.t.c
a fairly large part of it was written by paul.
Hope I've answered your question? smiley

1 Like

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by 24in7: 11:46pm On Sep 26, 2014
SMALLPENIS: It is a compilation of books of the disciples and apostles of christ ;matthew,mark,luke,john,paul,peter e.t.c
. Yup , cOrReCt
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by ojimbo(m): 5:47am On Sep 27, 2014
from what i heard, they said it is Paul that wrote the major books there. And that some appostles like matthew and mark dem follow write am too
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by 2cato: 6:10am On Sep 27, 2014
SMALLPENIS: It is a compilation of books of the disciples and apostles of christ ;matthew,mark,luke,john,paul,peter e.t.c
ojimbo: from what i heard, they said it is Paul that wrote the major books there. And that some appostles like matthew and mark dem follow write am too
the op rossike is a well known atheist who is about to make riddicule of you people you should have ignore him
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by SMALLPENIS(f): 8:03am On Sep 27, 2014
2cato: the op rossike is a well known atheist who is about to make riddicule of you people you should have ignore him

he can only ridicule those who don't know the bible
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Sep 27, 2014
Actually, what you've done is peddle the biggest falsehood in the history of religion, by claiming that fictional characters like ''Matthew'', ''Mark''. ''Luke'' and ''John'' existed and wrote the NT bible.

The fact - acknowledged by every respected theologian and clergyman - is that the NT was written ANONYMOUSLY, and nobody knows who wrote any of it. Names like ''John'' and ''Matthew'' were merely affixed to the respective 'accounts'.

Excerpts:
"A further reality is that all the Gospels were written anonymously, and none of the writers claims to be an eyewitness. Names are attached to the titles of the Gospels (“the Gospel according to Matthew”), but these titles are later additions to the Gospels, provided by editors and scribes to inform readers who the editors thought were the authorities behind the different versions. That the titles are not original to the Gospels themselves should be clear upon some simple reflection. Whoever wrote Matthew did not call it “The Gospel according to Matthew.” The persons who gave it that title are telling you who, in their opinion, wrote it. Authors never title their books “according to.” ~Bart D. Ehrman (Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don’t Know About Them)

Moreover, Matthew’s Gospel is written completely in the third person, about what “they” — Jesus and the disciples — were doing, never about what “we” — Jesus and the rest of us — were doing. Even when this Gospel narrates the event of Matthew being called to become a disciple, it talks about “him,” not about “me.” Read the account for yourself (Matthew 9:9). There’s not a thing in it that would make you suspect the author is talking about himself.” ~Bart D. Ehrman (Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don’t Know About Them)

“[S]ome books, such as the Gospels, … had been written anonymously, only later to be ascribed to certain authors who probably did not write them (apostles and friends of the apostles).” ~Bart Ehrman, Jesus, Interrupted (2011), pp. 101-02.

"The authors of these books never speak in the first person (the First Gospel never says, “One day, Jesus and I want to Jerusalem …”). They never claim to be personally connected with any of the events they narrate or the persons about whom they tell their stories. The books are thoroughly, ineluctably, and invariably anonymous.” ~Bart D. Ehrman

Forged - Writing in the Name of God — Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are - by Bart D. Ehrman

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Ehrman.htm

"The gospels are so anonymous that their titles, all second-century guesses, are all four wrong.”

~Randel McCraw Helms (Who Wrote the Gospels?)

"All four gospels are anonymous texts. The familiar attributions of the Gospels to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John come from the mid-second century and later and we have no good historical reason to accept these attributions.”

~Steve Mason, professor of classics,history and religious studies at York University in Toronto (Bible Review, Feb. 2000,p. 36)

The gospels, most scholars have come to acknowledge, were written not by the Apostles but by their anonymous followers (or their followers’ followers). Each presented a somewhat different picture of ''Jesus’'' life. The earliest appeared to have been written some 40 years after his [alleged] Crucifixion.

~David Van Biema,”The Gospel Truth?” (Time,April 8,1996)

http://exposingreligionblog.tumblr.com/post/18587309741

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Sep 27, 2014
So. essentially, you Africans are worshiping a foreign 'holy' book - are being led by the nose - by a foreign 'holy' book whose authorship is.... anonymous......unknown. As in zero data. No information.

Pathetic isn't it?

Really, how stup.id can you be?

2 Likes

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
2cato: the op rossike is a well known atheist who is about to make riddicule of you people you should have ignore him

I'm not an atheist. But that doesn't mean I accept your imported 'holy books' as the word of the creator. Your bible ''God'' is a Jewish tribal deity misrepresented as ''God'' in the ''holy'' bible. He is NOT the source of life or existence. I mean, just look at the Old Testament and the appalling bloodlust of the said ''God''. If you really think the Intelligence behind this multiverse went around ordering people to commit massacres, rap.e and loot their neighbours' towns etc, as claimed in the O.T., you need your head checked. Seriously.

1 Like

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by 2cato: 5:25am On Sep 28, 2014
If so i apologise for saying that
ROSSIKE:

I'm not an atheist. But that doesn't mean I accept your imported 'holy books' as the word of the creator. Your bible ''God'' is a Jewish tribal deity misrepresented as ''God'' in the ''holy'' bible. He is NOT the source of life or existence.
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:31am On Sep 28, 2014
ROSSIKE:

I'm not an atheist. But that doesn't mean I accept your imported 'holy books' as the word of the creator. Your bible ''God'' is a Jewish tribal deity misrepresented as ''God'' in the ''holy'' bible. He is NOT the source of life or existence.
So what label will you go with? or you dont do labels? Actually i have been looking for you since i saw one of your old threads by chance ...' Do you know we dont really exist?' written around 2009.
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:34am On Sep 28, 2014
So ignoring him is the answer? why not seek to engage him and see if you can possibly 'win his soul'?
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:36am On Sep 28, 2014
SMALLPENIS:

he can only ridicule those who don't know the bible
I believe you have read Rossike's watertight arguement now; so do you still think you know the bible?

1 Like

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by 2cato: 9:09am On Sep 28, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
So ignoring him is the answer? why not seek to engage him and see if you can possibly 'win his soul'?
that guy and pagan9ija are something else since they join this forum
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by SMALLPENIS(f): 9:27am On Sep 28, 2014
ROSSIKE: Actually, what you've done is peddle the biggest falsehood in the history of religion, by claiming that fictional characters like ''Matthew'', ''Mark''. ''Luke'' and ''John'' existed and wrote the NT bible.

The fact - acknowledged by every respected theologian and clergyman - is that the NT was written ANONYMOUSLY, and nobody knows who wrote any of it. Names like ''John'' and ''Matthew'' were merely affixed to the respective 'accounts'.

Excerpts:
"A further reality is that all the Gospels were written anonymously, and none of the writers claims to be an eyewitness. Names are attached to the titles of the Gospels (“the Gospel according to Matthew”), but these titles are later additions to the Gospels, provided by editors and scribes to inform readers who the editors thought were the authorities behind the different versions. That the titles are not original to the Gospels themselves should be clear upon some simple reflection. Whoever wrote Matthew did not call it “The Gospel according to Matthew.” The persons who gave it that title are telling you who, in their opinion, wrote it. Authors never title their books “according to.” ~Bart D. Ehrman (Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don’t Know About Them)

Moreover, Matthew’s Gospel is written completely in the third person, about what “they” — Jesus and the disciples — were doing, never about what “we” — Jesus and the rest of us — were doing. Even when this Gospel narrates the event of Matthew being called to become a disciple, it talks about “him,” not about “me.” Read the account for yourself (Matthew 9:9). There’s not a thing in it that would make you suspect the author is talking about himself.” ~Bart D. Ehrman (Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don’t Know About Them)

“[S]ome books, such as the Gospels, … had been written anonymously, only later to be ascribed to certain authors who probably did not write them (apostles and friends of the apostles).” ~Bart Ehrman, Jesus, Interrupted (2011), pp. 101-02.

"The authors of these books never speak in the first person (the First Gospel never says, “One day, Jesus and I want to Jerusalem …”). They never claim to be personally connected with any of the events they narrate or the persons about whom they tell their stories. The books are thoroughly, ineluctably, and invariably anonymous.” ~Bart D. Ehrman

Forged - Writing in the Name of God — Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are - by Bart D. Ehrman

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Ehrman.htm

"The gospels are so anonymous that their titles, all second-century guesses, are all four wrong.”

~Randel McCraw Helms (Who Wrote the Gospels?)

"All four gospels are anonymous texts. The familiar attributions of the Gospels to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John come from the mid-second century and later and we have no good historical reason to accept these attributions.”

~Steve Mason, professor of classics,history and religious studies at York University in Toronto (Bible Review, Feb. 2000,p. 36)

Most scholars have come to acknowledge, was done not by the Apostles but by their anonymous followers (or their followers’ followers). Each presented a somewhat different picture of Jesus’ life. The earliest appeared to have been written some 40 years after his Crucifixion.

~David Van Biema,”The Gospel Truth?” (Time,April 8,1996)

http://exposingreligionblog.tumblr.com/post/18587309741

anonymous texts,I won't argue, but since they correlate, it definitely means, they happened. smiley
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by SMALLPENIS(f): 9:30am On Sep 28, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
I believe you have read Rossike's watertight arguement now; so do you still think you know the bible?

yes, and I've answered. but he can't deny Paul's books because Paul always mentions his names in his letters.
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by pesty100(m): 9:44am On Sep 28, 2014
Some bunch of guys high on wet weed
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Pdizzle(m): 10:26am On Sep 28, 2014
Personally i think it was written in third person to make it more relatable, since it was written under the influence of the spirit.
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:52am On Sep 28, 2014
The irony is:

Who said the bible was written anonymously?

Those who were not even existing at that time!

1 Like

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Infomizer(m): 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2014
Pdizzle: Personally i think it was written in third person to make it more relatable, since it was written under the influence of the spirit.

Which implies that Paul's books weren't written under the influence of the spirit...abi?
Folks should be reasonable in the reasonable sense joor.

1 Like

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 28, 2014
SMALLPENIS:

anonymous texts,I won't argue, but since they correlate, it definitely means, they happened. smiley

What stopped one guy from sitting in his tent and penning three different accounts of a fictional story to create the impression that they were several witnesses or 'apostles'? Why are you so trusting of these foreigners?? If a Nigerian came up with these stories you'd laugh at him and call him mad. Acceptance of these foreign anonymous texts, even after realizing that they are anonymous, has to be the height of tomfoolery, don't you think?
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 28, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
So what label will you go with? or you dont do labels? Actually i have been looking for you since i saw one of your old threads by chance ...' Do you know we dont really exist?' written around 2009.

I'm an agnostic theist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_theism
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by SMALLPENIS(f): 5:42pm On Sep 28, 2014
ROSSIKE:

What stopped one guy from sitting in his tent and penning three different accounts of a fictional story to create the impression that they were several witnesses or 'apostles'? Why are you so trusting of these foreigners?? If a Nigerian came up with these stories you'd laugh at him and call him mad. Acceptance of these foreign anonymous texts, even after realizing that they are anonymous, has to be the height of tomfoolery, don't you think?

bro, I understand your type, just try to have a personal relationship with God,
can you explain how I see visions (WHICH ALWAYS COME TRUE) , I once didn't believe a god existed, till he revealed himself to me.
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by PastorAIO: 6:29pm On Sep 28, 2014
SMALLPENIS:

bro, I understand your type, just try to have a personal relationship with God,
can you explain how I see visions (WHICH ALWAYS COME TRUE) , I once didn't believe a god existed, till he revealed himself to me.

Precognitive visions happen to many people, myself included. If it were tied directly to a particular God then how would you explain people following a different religion and different God still having precognitive visions. It happens regardless of your God or religion.

I used to think it was connected to spiritual disciplines ( and maybe it still is) but I noticed that I could get them sometimes when I was at my most spiritually degenerate phase, while other times when I'm 'very spiritual' I do not get them at all. Not to mention the fact that I have no control over them and it is what comes that comes whether it is relevant to my life or not. If I could control it I would be winning the lottery every week. Instead I see where my old discarded slippers are.

The fact is that we live in a mysterious universe of which we haven't scratched the tip of the iceberg of understanding. Maybe the explanation for precognitive visions can be explained scientifically. We can speculate and speculate and speculate but the fact that they happen does not necessarily point to any God or religion.

8 Likes

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 28, 2014
SMALLPENIS:

bro, I understand your type, just try to have a personal relationship with God

I do try. These days I'm adjusting my conceptualization of 'God'. I'm starting to see God as a compendium of numerous energies, and souls which may or may not comprise all the souls in current existence. I tend to then address God in the plural, in which the various deities and gods known to man are included. As a type of council, which may or may not possess a singular consciousness. Anyone of those 'gods' who is so inclined could then take the mantle of addressing my prayer or issue. In the old days we had specific gods for specific issues whom we approached based on the issue. I think that still stands. One doesn't need to choose them individually for worship insofar as one sees and approaches them as a 'family', 'God' including. Thus all prayers to all beings and gods made by humans are in effect, prayers to God. And all healing/restitution received through such approaches emanate from God, because ALL are God and all that exists is of God. God is not in opposition to any 'Satan'. All good and evil emanates from God, since neither could exist without God.

As the good pastor above said, these things happen irrespective of your religion or even belief or otherwise in God.

3 Likes

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 29, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: The irony is:

Who said the bible was written anonymously?

Those who were not even existing at that time!
You make no sense. The texts were anonymous, as in, nobody affixed their name to any of them. Meaning we do not know who wrote the New Testament. You're worshiping a book of unknown authorship. Following a religion of indeterminate origin.
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:03pm On Sep 29, 2014
ROSSIKE:

I'm an agnostic theist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_theism
Oh! will read about it! Cheers.
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:53am On Sep 30, 2014
ROSSIKE: You make no sense. The texts were anonymous, as in, nobody affixed their name to any of them. Meaning we do not know who wrote the New Testament. You're worshiping a book of unknown authorship. Following a religion of indeterminate origin.
if u are a muslim, u are a dunce, because u are apparently having a book purportedly written by God and which still contains almost everything the bible does. The only funny thing was that they have it more many many years after the bible. So, it's practically a revised version of the bible.

If you are a pagan, u are a fool because I will ask u if any of the gods u are currently worshipping were created by ur dad! Or by you! People of old who created them, how did u even knw the gods existed, or were real? And all those who worship them are dunces who like Christians(if we have to go by ur argument), don't knw what they actually worship but what they were taught to be worshipping. If they give u a man-made object and ask u to subject urself to it's rules, how is that different to christians?

If u are an atheist, you are the worst one living who had no directions! The truth is, you are bunches of rebellious ones who didn't want to subject themselves to any religious morals and laws. They want to do as they like and justify themselves, but the funny aspect is that they follow the laws of the land like traffic laws and the rest. They ask for freedom of the mind, yet they wanted religious individuals to shun religion! How is that freedom if we can't choose wot we want? U wanted to be an atheist, I wanted to be a muslim or a christian, what's our problem. If u preach freedom, why do u want to win me to your side? Why shld u define freedom for me and still want me not to choose?

If u are a free-thinker, well, it's also your world. But like an atheist, u aint different! But as u are left to think freely, why not allow me to free myself as I deemed fit?

Dude, you have no case against me, and trying to find holes on what I do makes you more stupid.

But I challenge you to name which side you are instead of hiding as an anonymous and give us a chance to bring out all the loopholes in ur decision.

1 Like

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by miqos02(m): 11:06am On Sep 30, 2014
this arguments will lead nowhere
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by bvite(m): 11:24am On Sep 30, 2014
ROSSIKE:

a foolish man sayeth in his mind dat there is no God

1 Like

Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by bvite(m): 11:34am On Sep 30, 2014
let him go and cast out demon in his own name or in d name of atheism, at least if you dont knw much about somtin, u'll kip quiet, no wonder king solomon said in his proverbs: ``a wise man calms down to learn 4rm odas & gains more wisdom, but a fool echoes his points'' bro atheist, pls com out of ur cloak of foolishness b4 ur time runs out.
Re: Who Wrote The New Testament? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 01, 2014
bvite:
a foolish man sayeth in his mind dat there is no God

Only a dumb, colonised, brainless he-goat sayeth in his mind that whoever asks ''who wrote the new testament?'' sayeth there is no God.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Experience: House On The Rock / News Flash: God Is Dead / Rev. Dr. Chidi Okoroafor Suspended By Assemblies Of God Over Sexual Immorality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.