Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Your Perspective On This Family Issue - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Perspective On This Family Issue (3832 Views)

Please I Need Serious Advice On A Serious Family Issue / I Need Your Advice As Regards My Family Issue. / What Is Your Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by EfemenaXY: 8:56am On Sep 27, 2014
Toby77:
Like I have said above, the issue isn't a problem with me since the parents are cool with it. It's most likely an arranged marriage situation that her parents approve off, so that's not the issue.
she's not an adult, she's still naive and inexperienced. Why would a parent put his own child in a position where she's indebted to any man? she hasn't even gone to Uni sef...If the girl had graduated from University then made the decision on her own that's a different case. The parents hold more responsibity here for outsourcing and putting their child at the mercy of this helper/Sponsor.

~ What's the legal age for voting in Nigeria?

~ At what point does a person whose committed a crime in Nigeria, become eligible to be tried in court for it as an adult?

~ At what age in Nigeria is an individual allowed to open and run a sole account in their name?

~ Or become eligible to officially own a car and hold a valid driver's license?

Are the above listed not achieveable at age 19? So why should the decision to travel and work abroad be any different?

If you're that concerned about her moral integrity, I think you'll find that her parents gave up that right from the moment they saw fit that this man should take over their parental obligations - which he seems to be doing just fine.

He is older, wiser, seen and experienced life, is financially comfortable and runs his own business. If he now needs a wife to complete the picture, then what's wrong with that.

Do you not think he is better placed to look after her emotionally and financially than your average twenty-something year old male, still wet behind the ears?

Let's not forget that her life had more or less come to a standstill whilst living with her parents. Ideally, at 19, she ought to be in her third year at Uni, and not sitting at home bone idle, waiting for Manna to snow down from the heavens.

1 Like

Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 27, 2014
Geez!
U guys can lie o!
That gal is a gonna kiss

Bros, she is gone and gone for good cheesy
Get over her if u r lusting after her cheesy
And yep,she is still a kid.
In naija context,she is. Can't be able to make a good decision herself cos money is speaking(from rags to riches all of a sudden always has a drastic effect. Check out our elites)

And yep again, that guy didn't tell them his agenda.
U can hardly see a man doing good to a young lady w'out nursing something at d back of his mind. It all depends on his approach. We all know that. Even if he didn't openly declare his intention, u will know he is after something.

But in this case, I forsee a biz arrangement(prostitution).

*sighs*
Non of my biz anyway! kiss

1 Like

Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 27, 2014
- she could be into prostitution
-she could be sleeping with him
-she could be helping him do illegal activities

Im not saying this simply because the guy is Nigerian, but i have seen many foreigners who come from less privileged homes being used this way.

But u can never know, maybe he genuinely loves her as much as he would love his own daughter, that he would do anything for her. lipsrsealed
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 27, 2014
EfemenaXY:

~ What's the legal age for voting in Nigeria?

~ At what point does a person whose committed a crime in Nigeria, become eligible to be tried in court for it as an adult?

~ At what age in Nigeria is an individual allowed to open and run a sole account in their name?

~ Or become eligible to officially own a car and hold a valid driver's license?

Are the above listed not achieveable at age 19? So why should the decision to travel and work abroad be any different?

If you're that concerned about her moral integrity, I think you'll find that her parents gave up that right from the moment they saw fit that this man should take over their parental obligations - which he seems to be doing just fine.

He is older, wiser, seen and experienced life, is financially comfortable and runs his own business. If he now needs a wife to complete the picture, then what's wrong with that.

Do you not think he is better placed to look after her emotionally and financially than your average twenty-something year old male, still wet behind the ears?

Let's not forget that her life had more or less come to a standstill whilst living with her parents. Ideally, at 19, she ought to be in her third year at Uni, and not sitting at home bone idle, waiting for Manna to snow down from the heavens.

then why not just come and marry her straight grin grin grin instead of the merry go round of trying to help grin grin grin
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by EfemenaXY: 9:01am On Sep 27, 2014
Toby77:

I mean she's not yet properly mature to make this kind of life decisions on her own. It's the parents that should be blamed for placing her in a situation where she owes her life to a 'so called wealthy business owner'. the best possible outcome is if the man is a genuinely upright man and fears the Lord truly, otherwise it's not the best. This is what poverty causes, why place the training of your kids on another man because he has the money, thereby mortgaging the young girl as an investment hoping it all turns right.

Were you secretly planning on marrying her? undecided

If yes, then I can understand where all this angst is coming from.
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 27, 2014
Thank u my dear mondisweet kiss
South africa of all places cheesy
After italy for naija gals, na dia! tongue
There is nothing legal about what she has gone to do.

I knew of this kind of arrangement way back in school.
And yep they always employ d service of minors(age btw 19 and 23).
They can't go for 18 and below cos of the law catching up with them else they will take from that age bracket.

Naija film don even act am. Can't remember d name again.
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by EfemenaXY: 9:06am On Sep 27, 2014
Donxavier:

then why not just come and marry her straight grin grin grin instead of the merry go round of trying to help grin grin grin

Er...perhaps because he wants her to mature a bit more? And to decide when he does finally propose if that's what she really wants? (Freedom of choice). And in the meantime help her better her life?
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by r231(m): 9:08am On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Are you ok with this classification?

Of cus yes.....

I can't wait for my daughter to turn 18 sef so I can ship her off to uni and throw her out of my house so I can walk around the house naked grin
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 27, 2014
r231:

Of cus yes.....

I can't wait for my daughter to turn 18 sef so I can ship her off to uni and throw her out of my house so I can walk around the house naked grin

If that's your concern, I recommend a boarding school at the age of 12. grin smiley
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by r231(m): 9:11am On Sep 27, 2014
Toby77:

I mean she's not yet properly mature to make this kind of life decisions on her own. It's the parents that should be blamed for placing her in a situation where she owes her life to a 'so called wealthy business owner'. the best possible outcome is if the man is a genuinely upright man and fears the Lord truly, otherwise it's not the best. This is what poverty causes, why place the training of your kids on another man because he has the money, thereby mortgaging the young girl as an investment hoping it all turns right.

The question is......how do you know he is not going this good deed genuinely?
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by r231(m): 9:12am On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

If that's your concern, I recommend a boarding school at the age of 12. grin smiley

She is in boarding alrdy.....but I am still not free yet

I want total freedom cheesy
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by r231(m): 9:13am On Sep 27, 2014
Donxavier:

Offcourse not, this just looks like a classic case of wife grooming smiley

Prove it!

1 Like

Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 27, 2014
r231:

She is in boarding alrdy.....but I am still not free yet

I want total freedom cheesy

You can marry her off when she is 16. tongue grin smiley
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 27, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Er...perhaps because he wants her to mature a bit more? And to decide when he does finally propose if that's what she really wants? (Freedom of choice). And in the meantime help her better her life?

grin grin grin grin grin

Oh...Pluzzzeeee
Freedom of what you say? after already ensuring she logically has no choice in the matter grin...How can she possibly refuse any of his offers? He made her. I think that's one of the growse of the OP that why would the parents abdicate their responsibility because of an opportunity.

it's obvious the man wants a wife. He should have just come up straight about it he would have still got what he wanted grin grin grin afterall he's got the money and Money is Power grin
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by r231(m): 9:18am On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You can marry her off when she is 16. tongue grin smiley

Sure....to a dead man grin

Me wanting her to learn about life without me doesn't mean I want her to go slaving for some man outside of the country
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by EfemenaXY: 9:19am On Sep 27, 2014
Donxavier:

grin grin grin grin grin

Oh...Pluzzzeeee
Freedom of what you say? after already ensuring she logically has no choice in the matter grin...How can she possibly refuse any of his offers? He made her. I think that's one of the growse of the OP that why would the parents abdicate their responsibility because of an opportunity.

it's obvious the man wants a wife. He should have just come up straight about it he would have still got what he wanted grin grin grin afterall he's got the money and Money is Power grin

Is she chained and held prisioner in his home? Why can't she refuse any of his offers if she isn't happy with the arrangement? Would she be the first to do so? Is it unheard of for a woman to say "No"?
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by rollykotex: 9:23am On Sep 27, 2014
I feel the OP has a crush on the girl and its difficult for him to come to terms with the fact that the poor girl is gone for good

2 Likes

Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 27, 2014
r231:

Sure....to a dead man grin

Me wanting her to learn about life without me doesn't mean I want her to go slaving for some man outside of the country

I was joking.

I wouldn't want my daughter to leave with a man much older at 19 either but the family's decision is not my business. I see no reason to judge them.
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 27, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Is she chained and held prisioner in his home? Why can't she refuse any of his offers if she isn'thappy with the arrangement? Would she ne the first to do so? Is it unheard of for a woman to say "No"?

You are playing devil's advocate right grin grin grin.....I hear you. You must be the female Coogar grin

Would you allow your daughter such?
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by r231(m): 9:27am On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I was joking.

I wouldn't want my daughter to leave with a man much older at 19 either but the family's decision is not my business. I see no reason to judge them.

See you getting me wrong.

Just because 18 is legal age doesn't mean at that age they can move to a mans house but then again it depends on the upbringing
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by r231(m): 9:30am On Sep 27, 2014
Donxavier:

You are playing devil's advocate right grin grin grin.....I hear you. You must be the female Coogar grin

Each to their own.......

That's why I work day and night so no one can offer me bull crap like this
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 27, 2014
r231:

See you getting me wrong.

Just because 18 is legal age doesn't mean at that age they can move to a mans house but then again it depends on the upbringing

I agree with you but the girl's family made their own decision and this is their business.
The girl wasn't forced, was she?
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by r231(m): 9:33am On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I agree with you but the girl's family made their own decision and this is their business.
The girl wasn't forced, was she?

Not forced o but I think the OP has hidden agenda for the chick and they shipped her off to SA grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I was joking.

This is the attitude that allows and fosters an atmosphere of impunity in this country, and am not just talking about this incident but in the pscyche of African countries were there is no openness,forthrightness and lack of accountability.

Nobody is judging anybody, A decision has be made, my rants here won't change anything. I don't even want to change anything. the Lady has already chosen her course and is probably enjoying life in SA grin grin grin

but this doesn't mean we can't debate the merits or demerits of such case. This is an online forum for godsakes and it's to seek perspective on Life issues. Reading thru people's comments I have been able to expand my horizon, see how other people think and I am better off for it.

It's not my business to try and change other people, but it's my own business to learn from life situation's and be better for it.

This experience has taught me that If I have kids I can never forgo my parental obligation to bring my own children up in the way I see fit regardless of my status
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by EfemenaXY: 9:38am On Sep 27, 2014
Donxavier:

I've been expecting that question from you.

No, I wouldn't allow that happen to my daughter, because at nineteen, she would still be in full time education paid fully by her parents. Her life would very much be on course. The dynamics will be so different to the scenario painted by @op.

Let's face facts here. This girl's family had reached the end of the road as far as their daughter is concerned, hence them welcoming a third party to take up the reins of parental responsibility from them.
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 27, 2014
r231:

Each to their own.......

That's why I work day and night so no one can offer me bull crap like this

Exactly my point bros grin na poverty dey cause this kind thing I swear... grin
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 27, 2014
r231:

Not forced o but I think the OP has hidden agenda for the chick and they shipped her off to SA grin cheesy

Even if he has an hidden agenda, can't you think of the girl in question. Nigerian's and always diverting from the real issues lol. It's irrelevant the OPs feelings, was it an appropriate decision?
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 27, 2014
EfemenaXY:

No, I wouldn't allow that happen to my daughter, because at nineteen, she would still be in full time education paid fully by her parents. Her life would very much be on course. The dynamics will be so different to the scenario painted by @op.

Let's face facts here. This girl's family had reached the end of the road as far as their daughter is concerned, hence them welcoming a third party to take up the reins of parental responsibility from them.

So you are a pragmatist grin grin grin....you favour expediency over the right course of action to take. Are they the first family to be poor..... So if this opportunity didn't come, God cannot open another way grin
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by edwife(f): 9:45am On Sep 27, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Good morning to you too,you are yet to reply in the kitchen.
Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by ifyalways(f): 9:45am On Sep 27, 2014
Oh please!

Who gets anyone a 5 years visa for pros.ti.tu.tion runs? Where in this present world does pros.ti.tu.tion pay that much anyways now? Why do Nigerians always ASSUME the worst in every situation?

So what if the man is grooming her as his wife? if she's from a poor family as the OP claimed, what chances are there she won't marry just for money later in life? Or even go into local pro.sti.tution just so she can help herself?

Tufiakwa!

BTW, OP, are you stalking her and why? cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by ifyalways(f): 9:50am On Sep 27, 2014
And yes for a 19 years old first time traveller to have gotten a straight 5 years visa, it must have been a legal schooling or working arrangement. Unless she's a special pro.sti.tute for SA's president.

2 Likes

Re: Your Perspective On This Family Issue by EfemenaXY: 9:50am On Sep 27, 2014
Toby77:
This is the attitude that allows and fosters an atmosphere of impunity in this country, and am not just talking about this incident but in the pscyche of African countries were there is no openness,forthrightness and lack of accountability.
Nobody is judging anybody, A decision has be made, my rants here won't change anything. I don't even want to change anything. the Lady has already chosen her course and is probably enjoying life in SA grin grin grin
but this doesn't mean we can't debate the merits or demerits of such case. This is an online forum for godsakes and it's to seek perspective on Life issues. Reading thru people's comments I have been able to expand my horizon, see how other people think and I am better off for it.
It's not my business to try and change other people, but it's my own business to learn from life situation's and be better for it.
This experience has taught me that If I have kids I can never forgo my parental obligation to bring my own children up in the way I see fit regardless of my status
I don't think it's carefreewannabe's attitude that allows and fosters an atmosphere of impunity in the country. You should be taking this up with the Nigerian government.

If the thieving rulers fail at providing the basics which should include free / affordable education, and jobs for it's citizens to be able to look after themselves with some level of dignity, then it should come as no surprise when some parents decide to make certain choices as demonstrated in this case you've given.

When bad decisions are made at the top, the masses always suffer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper / My Friend Caught His Mother And His Friend On His Father's Bed / Amazing!! Those Black And White Twins Just Turned 7. Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.